Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

teagone posted:

For best matching results, I highly recommend checking the Media Preparation guides and spend time ensuring your media collection is sorted and named correctly.

It's odd. No matter what I've tried I can't get SRT subtitles to work on my Roku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

teagone posted:

That is pretty strange. 100%, every SRT external subtitle file I add to a movie works just fine. Are you sure you're selecting the proper file before playing the video?

It does work from within Plex web player but not on the Roku. It also works even without following those naming conventions. On the Roku itself I have it set to default to the English subtitles so it does seem to see them. I've also tried Spanish, French and other available ones they don't show either.

I may try reinstalling the program and reinstalling the app on the Roku as I've upgraded Plex probably 4-5 times since I began using it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

teagone posted:

That is pretty strange. 100%, every SRT external subtitle file I add to a movie works just fine. Are you sure you're selecting the proper file before playing the video?

I figured it out. There was a setting that I don't remember seeing before in the Roku app to toggle between soft or burned in subtitles. The default was soft but changing it to burned in makes them show up now. Also, the srt files and video files can be named any odd way and they play fine.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

When did they start charging for the Plex Roku App? I must've been grandfathered in or something because it was free when I installed.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Apparently if you're using the Plex app on your Samsung tv you'll be interrupted, while your video is playing, every 8 to 30 minutes with a Pepsi commerical! Samsung really is trying to push the limits between this and the "always listening" accusations.

This would give me great pause before buying a "smart TV" in the future.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

suddenlyissoon posted:

Sadly, it's the only option if you want 4K content.

My reaction to that news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdEQmpVIE4A

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm not sure if it's a Roku issue or a Plex issue but occasionally, subtitles will just not bother loading. Plex sees them and they're turned on but nothing displays. I've tried other devices in test and they seem to work fine. Is there a particular format Plex likes more than others?

I also tried the Burn-in subtitles feature but still nothing.

More of a Plex issue I believe.

.srt is the preferred format and make sure the video file name is formatted in the same way.

e.g.

Title.mp4
Title.En.Srt

If it's not working it might need the .En inserted at the end. Or .Fr, .Es (whatever language is contained in the file).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Welp, the network guy that we just hired just shared his Plex library with me. It's uh, well, one of the largest Plex libraries in the world. :stare:

Specifically it's just a hair over 230TB.

There are 2,706 movies categorized by decade.

:waycool:

Col Needham (founder and CEO of IMDb) has a gigantic Plex server with over 11,000 films in it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Atomizer posted:

So you set it up for a client...but where are their media coming from? Do you expect them to rip all their discs using a combination of MakeMKV, Handbrake, etc.? Do you do it for them? Does Plex expect you to sell them a setup full of your pirated media?! :stare:

I promise to give them access to a remote login server hosting 15,000 HD movie titles before disappearing with the $$$. :smugmrgw:

Piracy is so rampant now that salesmen in stores assume people have hard drives full of movies.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 19, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone had issues with Plex deciding it can't see SRT subtitle files? Stuff that was definitely working before now isn't. I wasn't on the latest PMS version so I updated it, but no difference.

I've had odd issues over the years. Sometimes the .srt file plays when titled file-title.srt and other times it needs to be file-title.En.srt

.En meaning english

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I tried the .en. part and that was the scan that appeared to briefly work (I've always just used .srt before).

At least looking through most of my stuff with subs it seems they're all embedded, and unless you're adding them yourself to native files there's no much reason to have them separate, but it's an odd little bug. I have one show with .rear end subs (can these be embedded? I'm not sure) which works fine, and are much better full stop it seems. I wish people doing subs for foreign shows would switch to them instead but eh, I'm sure it's not as widespread compatible.

I think there are programs to convert .rear end to .srt

I've never seen .rear end before though.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

chippocrates posted:

What is the best software for converting DVDs/blu-rays to .mp4 that runs best with plex? I know there are variations in terms of filesize etc.

Use http://www.makemkv.com/ to rip the media and then https://handbrake.fr to convert to .mp4

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Isn’t there an inbuilt YouTube thing that saves web videos to your client? I remember something like that years ago and finding it a nightmare to remove them. Maybe it’s been scrapped since.

In the halcyon days of YouTube circa ~2006-2008 all the videos were saved onto a part of the web browser cache as randomly named .flv files. It was truly the ideal for archivists as one could find plenty of videos even if YouTube had removed it.

YouTube has deleted hundreds of millions of videos and comments (possibly both in the billions at this point).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

So I'd been using RARFlix for many years because the Plex app was always crashing/buggy. But Roku recently did that thing where they deleted every non-official channel from all devices around the world. So RARFlix was deleted forever.

So I tried the new Plex Roku app but it didn't like my Plex server version that has been 100% fine since 2015. So I upgraded Plex server to the latest. Now .mp4 files are freezing and crashing the Plex server to the point where I have to reboot the machine itself to get Internet back. :wtf:

I'll do more troubleshooting but is there some known issue with modern Plex and .mp4 files?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Diddler posted:

I think I saw something recently where the latest version of plex server has an issue and was crashing for everyone.

EDIT:

previous page of this thread, actually:

Yeah, I'd read that but mine is only crashing with certain .mp4 files. I did more troubleshooting and got them to play from another machine although there's still some issue with fast forwarding on certain files. I guess I'll just play some stuff in the next few weeks and see what happens.

:ms: somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

reformedpoosmearer posted:

are you playing them locally? if not the updated server might not be direct streaming for whatever reason and trying to transcode it on the fly.

I switched to Jellyfin and I'm a pretty big fan. its similar but open source, and pretty sure theres a roku app. Its nice not having a menu full of garbage I'll never pay for or use, and not dealing with account issues.

Yeah, I was playing them locally and it was transcoding it through a wired connection but one .mp4 file was crashing the server. I tried to direct play it and it couldn't for some reason.

I will keep Jellyfin in mind if things get bad with Plex again.