Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
So I'm trying to get my server to play trailers before a movie starts. Though instead of actual trailers I want it to randomly pick 3 files out of a folder called 'trailers'. I've tried all the stuff from the Plex forums about turning this feature on in Extras and moving Local Media Assets to the top of its respective Agents settings, ald all the files end in -trailer, but no dice. My preroll file seems to play fine, but it's not touching the trailers folder. Any ideas on what I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

I didn't think anyone actually liked those features. (The ones that do literally anything other than play exactly what you selected immediately.) I always want to throttle the developers who turn that garbage on by default. This goes for Amazon and HBO products as well.

TheScott2K posted:

It's fun, like, once.

I agree things like this should definitely be opt-in. My goal was to have a folder full of amusing Youtube clips that it would pick from before a movie starts, because when my parents say they're 'ready' it can still be a good 5-10 minutes before asses are actually in seats. And I assumed it would be easy to nextnextnext my way through them to get to the movie once everybody is in place.

Atomizer posted:

Go into Server>Extras; you can have it kind of do what you're intending, but you have to provide the path to each file, separated by a semi-colon, and then it will apparently pick one of those at random to play as a pre-roll trailer.

Well that's the preroll, but I thought that was a separate thing from the 1-5 trailers setting in Player > Extras.

My preroll seems to be working fine, right now it's that Feature Presentation kaleidescope thing from the Kill Bill movies and I do see that both in the web client and through a FireStick, but I thought the order of operations was something like Trailers > Preroll > Movie. I guess I'm still not sure how to define its Cinematic Trailer list that it pulls from, or can I even do that with local media?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So I want to kind-of transfer a library. I've got my music library on my PC, being backed up to a NAS with a nightly rsync command. I want to point Plex to the NAS files, but if I just add that location as a new library I'll lose all the little date and cover art edits that I've made, I really don't want to have to redo all that.

Since I know the files all match exactly, is there a way I can change where Plex looks for that library's files without losing all the customizations?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm not sure to be honest, that's kinda interesting though. I have a specific library setup for Concerts / MVs, but never really messed around with the audio side of things due to my library being all on iTunes/Match which works fine for me.

I did a library transfer the other day and followed the 'official' guidelines which is to

1. Disable deleting trash on the server (in the Library options)
2. Shutting down Plex
3. Making a duplicate of the files while keeping the originals still in place
4. Turning Plex back on
5. Adding the new location to the library share

It then saw everything as a duplicate, and then I removed the old location from the library and re-enabled Trashing.

It worked pretty good for the most part, matching up to my collections and the info that was there before. Had to hand edit a few for some reason, but overall it wasn't the disaster it can be when moving locations.

I saw that post on their forums but I thought they were talking about just adding the new location as a new library. Do they mean instead to edit the existing library to include both the old and new location, then remove the old location? That makes a lot more sense, I forgot I could have multiple 'target' folders for each library :downs: Thanks, I'll give this a shot next time I'm in front of the server.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm teetering on the brink of paying for the Plex mobile app so I can stream my music library to my phone in the car, but some peeps in the NAS thread were talking about Subsonic being good for streaming big music libraries. A quick google suggests Subsonic is pretty similar to Plex, just another way to stream media from your home. Does anyone have any non-Plex recommendations specifically for music playback/management?

The main things I do with my files in Plex is split the files up into separate albums (like instead of having the Bowie box sets show up as big 11 CD albums, have each album ID'd out as its original release), having various library radio / shuffle auto-playlists, and being able to create my own playlists so I can remake my awesome mixtapes from college.

So I guess the major thing I'd be looking for to switch away from Plex is enhanced album identification based on file metadata. I run just about everything through MusicBrainz before adding it to my library, but sometimes Plex still mis-identifies things, and as mentioned above I'd like to be able to set a manual override on certain files so they would be ID'd as singles rather than as part of collections or deluxe remaster bonus files or whatever.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

astral posted:

Have you tried Google Play Music?

Have not, I didn't realize it could play persona libraries instead of just pull from its own DB like Pandora. However it sounds like I'd have to upload my tracks to Google servers (?) and it claims a limit of 50k songs, and Plex tells me I'm currently sitting at 58,111. I haven't really played around with the Plex app on my phone yet so maybe I'll run some experiments there first, with such a big library I'm kind of in a devil-that-I-know situation :shrug:

If I could somehow side-load PlexAmp on there that would probably be ideal. If anyone here doesn't know, PlexAmp is a standalone desktop install you can use to hook in to your Plex music. It's super light weight (a volume knob would be pretty nice guys) so you can't really manage anything, but for basic searching and shuffling it works pretty well.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So just recently I finally knuckled down and got SSL/reverse proxy working in Nginx so I can stop forwarding ports everywhere like it's 1999. So far I've got an auto-renewing Let's Encrypt cert protecting a DuckDNS domain for me Ubooquity server and everything seems to be working well, even messed around with some settings and got SSL Labs to give me an A ranking :unsmith: ProTip: Don't spend 2 days on and off trying to figure out why HTTPS doesn't work before making sure ipfw isn't blocking 443. Don't do it. Trust me.

Is there anything I can do with this to improve performance and/or security with Plex? Right now I do just have a port forwarded for it and log in through plex.tv. I think I could do a similar setup as Ubooquity and just make a myplexserver.duckdns.org domain point to Nginx with a matching cert and then forward me along to the internal Plex IP, but that would screw up shared connections right? Currently my sister has access through her Samsung TV and my parents through a FireStick.

Is this what the Custom Cert/Domain settings are for under Settings > Network? Or with Custom Server Access URLs could I still point everything to Nginx and just put myplexserver.duckdns.org in that field? If I'm reading that right I can make plex.tv 'discover' my reverse proxy, but I'm not sure how forwarding would work from there...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cornjob posted:

If youre worried about your ISP spying, dont be. All they see is bandwidth.

If youre worried about plex getting hacked, they fix security flaws pretty fast.

I wasn't really concerned about any particular issue, just looking for more stuff to tinker with since I finally got a proper reverse proxy working. But since Plex already kind of 'shares itself' through plex.tv discovery this just may not be a great use case for it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Qwijib0 posted:

Or will it use actual rational episode ordering and naming for PBS kids shows that are 30 minutes with two ~12 min stories that the pedants at tvdb insist are two episodes but have never ever aired apart.

Took me a second to remember why this sounded so familiar... The Life & Times of Tim does this (every episode is two 12 minute stories) and Plex matched every other episode and numbered them 1, 3, 5 etc... I just had to go in and manually paste the 2nd 'episode' title into the first to get them to show up somewhat reasonably.

Everybody should watch Life & Times btw, it's like Always Sunny 'horrible people in horrible situations' if no one ever got angry or raised their voices:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2On-dpPw2bs

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And now we know the REAL reason they got got :toughguy:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also interesting in getting something that just acts as a Plex broadcast / transcode box. Right now I'm running PMS in a TrueNas jail and I frequently have to tell it to stream in 720 because 1080 buffers, even though the bitrates don't seem to make sense (1080 (Maximum) shows 1.8 Mbps and buffers, 720 (High) at 4 Mbps plays smooth :psyduck: ).

I assume with a NAS setup the general idea is to get something with a transcode-friendly CPU, throw whatever OS and PMS on there and just network mount your library? Can I just move my DB file over to the new install or is there a more complex Plex dance needed to migrate systems?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

I use this for my Plex transcode box https://www.ebay.com/itm/115777075226

Was about to grab one of these, the Celerons seem like pretty good CPUs for this usecase. Decided to shop around a little bit and see if I could find something with a slightly upgraded CPU (a J4125 vs this J4025 ). Found this for slightly less, but it's some Chinese brand I've never heard of so am slightly wary:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/374737622964

but also found this for the same price from Acer:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255186968611

Any reason not to go for the Acer over the HP you linked?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

Nothing major, I might look into a cheap RAM upgrade for it and make sure the Acer one uses stuff that you can find cheaply (it should). I did replace the stick of RAM on my HP from 4 to 8gb for like $10 or something but I don't think that's mandatory.

I'd go for it

e: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/aspire-xc-830

Thanks for the info. One more question, which probably should have come up sooner: am I going to need to enable HW transcoding to take advantage of the Celeron's iGPU i.e. time to buy a PlexPass? I've been holding off for years, but as much as my family uses the server now it's probably worth it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cruft posted:

I'm taking the plunge, moving from the RPi 4 to a DS220+

I should move some sort of database over, right? Do I need to export it first, so it survives the change in architecture? Is this even the same endianness?

In my own research I keep seeing this link:
https://support.plex.tv/articles/201370363-move-an-install-to-another-system/

Which makes it sound like, especially for a Linux > Linux move, you just install on the new platform then dump your existing PMS directory on top of the fresh one. I sure hope it's as easy as that makes it sound, but I'm prepared to keep the existing server around for a bit while I work out kinks in the new one.

e:

Splinter posted:

Those J chips are pretty old at this point, both from 2019. When I was looking into this earlier this year my conclusion was a N5105/N5095 with the N6005 as a harder to find upgrade pick (these were from 2021). I was seeing mixed reports on how well the older J chips could handle 4k transcoding when also doing hardware tonemapping (e.g. if you need to transcode a 4k HDR video into SDR in a lower resolution) and at least at the time those N chips weren't much more expensive.

This video makes the J4125 look pretty good for this sort of thing, especially since it will be in a dedicated Plex box and I'm not pushing into 4k yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edTKhqAZ6_c

For a Proof of Concept I think this will be fine for a while, and if in a few years I start collecting a bunch of 4k x265 files like Khablam said it's easy to grab an old business PC with the CPU of your choice and dump PMS over there (I hope).

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 19, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"New" (refurb Aspire XC-830) plex server arrived, spent the day getting things set up. I was going to use Ubuntu Server for the OS but then figured why even abstract things that far and just went full Debian.

Once I un-hosed my rsync command the migration went smoothly (in *nix you just throw your old Plex Media Server directory at the new server) and I even messed up and forgot to match PMS versions, I just installed the latest release on the new server, Plex didn't care still worked fine. Since I made sure to make the network mount for my media the same as the old jail mount I didn't have to do a bunch of rescanning new directories, new install picked everything up right away.

Figure I'll limp along with a monthly Plex Pass and see if they put the Lifetime on sale for Black Friday/Xmas, but once I bought it my config picked up my CPU as a hardware acceleration device and by watching it with htop it definitely moves the workload over. Since Debian comes with a built-in ramdisk in /dev/shm that was a no-brainer for the transcode temp directory as well.

Went ahead and ordered another 4gb ram stick to max out what the CPU will support so I can put a little more space in /dev/shm, but based on my local testing (2 simultaneous 1080 transcodes) I'd call this a success :homebrew:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also, depending on how your software is set up, sometimes it will treat 'The Linux ISO' as a completely different property than 'Linux ISO, The' or just 'Linux ISO'

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I went one further and put the {imdb code} on mine through radarr, as Plex has a habit of seeing movie/year and thinking ‘hm, there’s two movies of this name that came out this year. One is a huge blockbuster that everyone has seen, the other was screened once for the directors family 20 years ago and then promptly disappeared without trace. It’s probably that one.’

Hm one episode of this show matches the title of a Korean soap opera from the late 90s... let's get some moon language in this server!

Took me 10 minutes to think to check the filenames and figure out what had happened :(

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I tried Jellyfin a couple months back in a TrueNAS jail, it seemed like it was detecting stuff OK but I had a tough time getting it to actually play anything smoothly. I like that there's a FOSS option in the works but it's gonna take a while to get to where it could cleanly replace even my little $100 office hand me down Plex server.

Speaking of, I had a question about hardware encoding vs hardware acceleration. I had thought that hardware encoding could use a compatible GPU or CPU, but that acceleration is only for GPUs. Since I'm already using a GeminiLake as a transcoding device, I didn't think acceleration was available without a GPU. But I enabled it and I guess it is? It seems to drop my CPU usage to almost nothing and I get the little (hw) designation on my Now Playing dashboard, whereas with just hardware encoding playing anything would spike all 4 cores up near 100%.

tl;dr is there any reason not to have both hardware acceleration and encoding enabled vs one or the other?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

If I'm reading your post correctly, you have it backwards.

HW acceleration: Decoding in hardware. Usually not much of a drain to leave this off in any system HOWEVER if you're doing greater than real time encoding speeds that problem scales. i.e. if playback uses 5% of your beefy cpu, when encoding at 5x speed it will be using 25% of your CPU and decoding is suddenly a large chunk of your performance. Leave the GPU doing this and it has "no" impact.
Always leave on except to debug

HW encoding: Encoding in hardware. Using the GPU codecs to create the video stream "without" touching the CPU. Catastrophically faster than CPU-realm encoding with small drawbacks in bitrate efficiency. If your architecture is old (say, 10x0 series nvidia or 7x00 series intel cpus or before) then you mostly only want to use it on higher bitrate streams (8mbit+).
Gemini Lake is QSV v9.5 and you can just leave it always enabled.

Think I'm just not understanding how things flow through with an iGPU in a CPU, it seems like with just encoding enabled it slams the CPU, but adding in acceleration puts the load somewhere else:

Just 1:

1+2:

Motronic posted:

Roku stick powered off a USB port on the TV. They all have HDMI-CEC now so the roku remote will control power and volume.

I run Plex through a Firestick at my parents' house and it works fine, mostly. All the menus are laggier and navigating/searching with a remote is still a pain, but not noticing any obvious issues with playback or a/v quality.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unless it's something really obscure I'm still surprised Plex couldn't figure it out with just an 'artist - album' folder structure. I run all my stuff through Musicbrainz to tag it before putting it in my library, and even in the few cases where something hasn't been in their database it still shows up correctly in Plex.

How do you have your Artists and Albums agents set up? I think most people recommend putting Local Media Assets as the first item in the menu, at least for the Personal Media categories.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Plex reps have claimed in the past that they don't even have the ability to tell what files a server is hosting without deep diving metadata, and even then determining the source is near impossible. Assume that's why they're blocking things at an ISP level VS individual servers.

It sounds like this is targeting big shared servers that are basically running as a quasi-public streaming service. They must know if they tried to crack down on people's local libraries 90% of their userbase would suddenly become very interested in kodi/emby/jellyfin etc.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just hope we aren't in the late stages of some lovely :capitalism: cycle where they collect up millions of users by facilitating grey-area filesharing, then get acquired / "go legit" causing their entire userbase to jump ship.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s a shame you’re kinda locked in to Plex having their servers up to use it fully, otherwise I’d be happy enough to stay on the current version for the foreseeable future.

Is there really a technical reason/advantage for this, for home libraries at least? For sharing locally it shouldn't matter and even I was smart enough to figure out how to get a Lets Encrypt cert for a DuckDNS URL into an nginx server that forwarded stuff along to my Plex VM.

Obviously not AS easy as just adding friends in Plex's global servers, but eventually something like Jellyfin could come with an web server bundled in that would automate most of the steps to get your library securely shareable to individuals.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

I mean if they were to theoretically sell it off and whoever purchases decides home media had to go. I don’t think it’s a likely to happen thing, but I do feel useful features might get stripped like they bailed on podcasts, pictures etc. We’re all essentially stuck with whatever they want to do.

Fair, at one point I was going to try and use Plex to host image files from manga and comics before discovering Ubooquity, and the few times I tried to navigate through to a certain point in a podcast episode were a nightmare.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

That just means you had a movie scanner or agent for that library. You want the plex video file scanner and no agent

There's an entire library type called Home Movies specifically to avoid this, it's where I put any Youtube videos I've saved or stuff like concert videos and whatnot.

Zero VGS posted:

Anyone else have it where the Plex windows app runs an HDR movie very dark, but if I run Plex from a web browser on the same PC the brightness is fine? Is it some kinda tonemapping thing?

The HDR setting does warn that it will make video look too dark:

Enable HDR tone mapping posted:

Transcoded HDR content will appear highly dimmed and desaturated with this disabled. Additional driver components may be needed to support hardware transcoding with this feature enabled; see our support articles for further details.

I wouldn't think it would be device or app dependent, unless something is skipping transcoding altogether?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a significant difference in the transcode bandwidth between gCPU and a graphics card? My server seems to work great locally, 1080p for days and even rear end subs don't phase it, but remotely I still have to set quality down to 720p to avoid buffering and something with subs is generally unwatchable.

I'm .ASSuming this is being caused mostly by my server's upload bandwidth (residential internet, less than 10Mb up). I'm currently going through a GeminiLake CPU, would throwing a dedicated graphics card allow it to produce smaller transcodes fast enough that it might make a difference? It's in an Acer slim PC so the card would also have to be low profile to fit, so nothing to beefy.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

I'd make sure you're getting a direct connection as being limited to 720p - you don't mention which quality level - on a 10Mb line is unusual outside of very over-contested lines. 1080p@8Mb should be possible depending on how much "less than" 10Mb you have, or 720p@4Mb should be very watchable.

You'll want to test your bandwidth and verify plex can use it.

e: if you're using HW transcoding then you have Plex pass, which also allows you to use the downloads feature.

That's part of what is confusing me, something can show direct play 1080 at 1.2 Mbps and buffer constantly, but transcoding to 720 at 4 Mbps plays smooth :psyduck:

gariig posted:

Also, if you are using the Plex Relay instead of connecting directly it has a limit of 1 or 2 mbps depending on if you have Plex Pass or not.

Yep, I PlexPass'd it up to take advantage of the gCPU. I'll investigate the relay thing and try downloading something and see what kind of speeds I get, the ~10M up is based on speed tests I've run locally (but not specifically for Plex).

e:

Hmm strange goings on... I tried downloading an ISO from my server while watching the dashboard and the bandwidth chart looked like it was hitting my max up:

So I went digging through the settings and found the Enable Relay setting under Network was turned on. Both from reading the description and the server always proudly proclaiming that it was fully accessible outside my network I assumed it would only use the relay if it couldn't direct connect. I'm sure that's the way it's intended to work, and maybe it was, but after disabling that setting I pulled up something at 1080 8Mbps and it played smoothly for several minutes:

Then I pulled up the Japanese ISO that was giving me trouble and while it does still buffer, is playing many times better than it has in the past:

I didn't think to test anything before disabling the relay, but if I was being limited to 1 or 2 Mbps it would explain the trouble I've been having with anything over 720. Maybe I had to toggle it after setting up the new server to shake something loose?

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 20, 2023

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LRADIKAL posted:

What's the best thing to rip YouTube videos? I have Windows, Linux and YouTube premium.

I've been using 4kVideoDownloader for a while now, free version gets you 30 DLs a day, you can pick stuff like the resolution you want and if you want the video or just audio etc. Works well enough for my purposes but if you want to do more than grab a few videos here and there the script mentioned above would probably be the way to go.

Sub Rosa posted:

I'm in the process of buying parts for a new NAS that will also be a Plex server, so I've been looking into Plex hardware transcoding.

I came across this post from August which I thought was interesting: https://forums.plex.tv/t/hdr-tone-mapping-with-hw-transcoding-not-working-for-12900k-cpu-on-pms-version-1-32-5-7210/845595/69

A team member mentions "staffing changes" and "We lost a lot of institutional knowledge which is hard to replace in only a few weeks time."

What is going on inside Plex the company? I'm also making a NAS because I had until recently been hosting Plex on a server instead of locally, and apparently Plex didn't like that and banned it?

Are any Plex competitors like Jellyfin actually ready for primetime if Plex is being jerks?

They've broken transcoding a few times now, most recently for Linux, that's just (in theory) been cleared up with the last few releases. I've been sitting on an older release of the Debian client until I'm sure major stuff like that has been unfucked.

As for something being ready as a Plex replacement, my experience and the general thread consensus has been nothing yet. If stuff like Jellyfin continues to develop I'm sure it will get there eventually, but right now it's just not ready. Almost wish it was a paid product so they could afford to poach all the recently available Plex devs to kick things into high gear.

csammis posted:

Several months ago the company laid off a bunch of staff, including (almost?) all the staff which worked on the play-your-own-media capabilities.

Guess this partially explains why something as major as 'HW transcoding broke' took months to fix with almost radio silence on the Plex forums :doh:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LRADIKAL posted:

I've tried renaming the .webm to mkv and mp4, have added "S02E02" but I can't get the file to even show up in Plex's TV's unmatched files. Am I missing something obvious? Can I configure the utility to output H264 or something else? Is it down to the name? coded?

Can you see other webm files? If the file isn't showing up in Plex at all it's almost always a permissions issue, especially in Linux. Compare this file/folder properties with one you can see and make sure nothing jumps out.

Talorat posted:

Edit: In case anyone is curious, the actual answer to my dilemma seems to be Substitial, which lets you overlay your own subs over streaming media, including crunchyroll.

Would something like this work with a personal Plex server, and if so would it be a way to move the subtitle processing off of the server itself? Last night I had to mess around with my sub settings to get something to stream smoothly. It played fine normally (left side), buffered with subs enabled (right side) :

Under player settings I set Burn Subtitles to 'Only image formats' and it worked fine from then on :shrug:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Matt Zerella posted:

My only rules are no kids movies and nothing that's on Netflix otherwise go hog wild. And if I reject a request I text first to check.

What do you have against kids movies you monster :mad:

Just limit it to everything from my own childhood, that stuff was great :yeah:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone experimented with the autodelete function where a file would be deleted x days after it was viewed?

Screengrab from Reddit:

If it's possible to turn this on automatically for an entire library it might be nice if you could assign it to a Random Bullshit Requests library then just forget about it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Corb3t posted:

How big is everybody's Plex server? I'm curious.

I've got an 110 TB Unraid server with about 80 TB full.

40TB (8x8 with 2 drives parity) and about 12TB used. I actually use it for music more than anything so my ISOs are a lot smaller than average I bet.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I don’t know if you have watched any of the stuff on those disks about the restoration they did, but they put in Work on the old ones

I'm still amazed at what they had to do for the ST:TNG blurays. The show was shot on film so they could just go back and scan that, except a lot of episodes didn't have a complete 'master' copy, so they had to go digging through multiple takes of each camera and recreate each episode by hand :catstare:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Talorat posted:

I threw some FLACs on my Plex for funsies and, oh god, oh no, I'm devastated to report that they actually sound MUCH better than Spotify. This can only lead to bad things.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EVIL Gibson posted:

C'mon, it can be that...

:dawkins101:

This is like those joke challenges that web devs do to design the worst way to do something...

https://i.imgur.com/mAGYMo6.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/zRFUUtI.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/QrbNt2L.mp4

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Talorat posted:

The tdarr devs also seemed to be completely mystified by my very normal use case of “I want to transcode every huge remux I have down to a more sane file size” which is shockingly difficult to set up reliably in tdarr. The philosophy behind it is apparently “filters” so instead of performing a batch job on a bunch of media (normal, sane) you have to setup pipelines that can get stuck recursively transcoding the same media file forever.

You fool! Pipelines are where the power comes from!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'd say the Plex official guide to get up and running, then Trash Guide if you want to fine tune your quality profiles or something afterwards.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Whenever I'm reading something online I'll pull up Plex and hit Deep Cuts Radio and just see what comes up. I don't use it much on my phone but knowing I have the option is nice.

The discount code for 25% off is FUZZYFRIDAY:

That's a lifetime pass for the cost of 18 monthly payments, so if you expect to be using Plex for longer than that it's a pretty safe bet.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

Now I'm picturing people offering a trailer before a show starts that says, "PLEX DOES NOT HAVE MY EXPRESS PERMISSION TO VIEW MY MOVIES...." kinda like the FBI warning on VHS

This BBS is a private system. Only private citizens who
are not involved in government or law enforcement activities are
authorized to use it. The users are not authorized to divulge any
information gained from this system to any government or law
enforcement agency or employee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's hard to imagine a modern OS needing to be transcoded to, but if it's something more locked down like Apple or a Chromebook(?) it may not have access to the full array of codecs you'd get with a standard desktop. If you do see streams to the laptop being transcoded (can just look at the Activity Dashboard on your Plex portal) that is likely why.