Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

suddenlyissoon posted:

Anyone having issues with Plex this morning? All of a sudden it decided it couldn't connect outside of my network. I've gone through the normal stuff or resetting my box, router, checking ports, etc but can't find any issues.

It wasn't working last night when I went to bed even over my local network. I figured it was something on my end and haven't tried since, but... maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

FWIW (re: PMS on a NAS machine), it couldn't handle transcoding anything but 480p content on my Seagate Nas Pro, which runs on a dual-core Intel 1.7Ghz processor.

http://www.seagate.com/products/network-attached-storage/business-storage/seagate-nas-pro/

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

How are you using an ethernet adapter on a chromecast?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

I quickly scanned and didn't see it in the past couple pages, but Chromecast 2 now supports direct MKV streaming from Plex. Still transcodes the audio in my experience, but the video is direct play, meaning it barely even ticks the CPU up at all on my server. Awesome stuff!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

My processor was just getting hosed up as hell while my girlfriend was "Direct Play"-ing something to the Chromecast. This is on an i7-4770k.

What am I missing, why would this be a thing?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

89 posted:

Are there any channels that are worth a dick?

The south park one is pretty good, all the episodes streaming in HD

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

What's a cheap way to gently caress around with OTA recording on plex? What capture card is the cheap/good connecting point?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Yeah, spending $150 to capture OTA channels on a DVR seems silly. Thanks for the info though.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Note for transcoding chat: if you have to do subtitles, some apps will force these to be transcoded and you'll buffer again. My TV is this was for instance.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

iajanus posted:

Just chromecast and be happy

Chromecast can't direct play most of my stuff.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Which cpu-offloading tech is the best for not losing quality? My server uses a ten series Nvidia and haswell cpu

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

You have to pick your device in the top left (your local iPad/iPhone/whatever). You were trying to watch a video like normal. You dingus.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Eh it's like ten clicks to save 75. That's worth it for most people.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

TheScott2K posted:

What happens if you call them and offer the human $75 for lifetime?

I emailed them to ask last year and they said can't do it, totally random, but I got one two months later, so maybe try it anyway

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

I love the two polar opposite, but somehow both correct, answers

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Cool Plex is turbofucked on my Samsung TV all of a sudden

It's displaying a dump or something when it boots

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

teagone posted:

I just got an email saying there was a new Plex app rollout for a handful of devices. Is your Samsung TV a UHD+ display from 2016 or later?

KS8000 yeah. Got the update like two days ago though, just broken today. Deleting and installing again seems to have worked.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

sellouts posted:

Man people love docker. It just seems like overkill? Export 3 config files and import them if I need them. Been years since I’ve had to do a reinstall and my updates always work.

Also if anyone wants an old Mac mini I have one. Has a 256mb ssd in it, 8gb ram. Was my Plex / home server until I upgraded. Looked great in my tv stand (which mattered to my wife)

Docker specifically with Plex was not recommended by Plex support last time I checked. Something about if the containers die in mid write to the database volume on your host can hose everything and you have to start over. This might have changed by now but ymmv.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Ok. I have tried it myself, just throwing that out there. The only other concern is I don't think you can do hardware transcoding from a container since it's not given access to the gpu.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Matt Zerella posted:

Yes, you can pass the GPU through to the container.

Lots of caveats , but that’s neat!

https://support.plex.tv/articles/115002178853-using-hardware-accelerated-streaming/

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

I'm sure tizen will get it the same way it got the last update, by totally breaking Plex for a week or two again

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Nocheez posted:

Or maybe it's like my setup that can stream almost instantly anywhere in the country to my laptop just fine, but Chromecasting to the TV right next to it has weird buffering issues.

when I had this same problem, it was because my chromecast wasn't getting enough power from the TV USB port (everything worked fine-ish but it buffered a LOT), and it worked much better when using a wall adapter for power

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

I just set the plex app to deep sleep mode so it doesn't do anything unless I open it. probably would impact downloading things locally, but I only use that feature very sparingly on trips.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Just be sure to check whether the NUC you buy supports HW transcodes by Plex… the NUC 11 does not (yet).

counterpoint: get target devices that allow direct play and never worry about your plex server hardware again because everything will just work swimmingly

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

yeah, use the container version with a compose file set to "restart: unless-stopped" and it will gracefully come back up after a crash

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

kri kri posted:

Makes sense as the atv is the premier client. Living the docker / atv life is bliss.

ehhh I've had plenty of issues with my atv not playing poo poo properly from time to time. usually swapping to the "old video client" fixes it but annoying when it pops up

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

12tbx4, about half used. unraid single parity. Actually not really losing space swapping low res old stuff out for upgrades since x265 is so efficient which is cool.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

I’m looking at retiring my 2017 shield and was considering an ATV. Any issues or quirks with plex on that? Some comments in slickdeals implies there was but I’m not sure if it’s actual issues or just things like no atmos pass through or a weird codec not being supported

I have to swap between the "old" and "new" video player options on a lot of 4k/HDR/x265 stuff on plex on apple tv. Weird audio desync stuff happens sometimes. Never had a single problem at all on 1080/x264/streaming stuff though.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

docker sucks use podman

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Motronic posted:

Okay, that's an intersting approach. I'm pretty new to all of this so I just knocked off a local Verizon channel lineup and added things around that. I haven't figured out how to meaningfully add in PPV stuff considering the limitations I'm dealing with not only in managing m3us but also in Emby/Jellyfin/Plex.

You may want to hold off getting real OCD about channel organization until the new release: https://github.com/SenexCrenshaw/StreamMaster/

some cool stuff going on in that repo

https://github.com/SenexCrenshaw/StreamMaster/pull/207

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

sudo crontab -e

that's it, that's all ya gotta do