Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

1997 posted:

Sometime in the future I want to set up an Amazon Fire TV with a NAS that I can install Plex server on. Does anyone have any experience with any disk less NAS I can do that with?

What do you mean by a diskless NAS? I have Plex installed on my iMac and it mounts network shares from my NAS that sits plugged in into the basement. It works fantastic with both Chromecast and Roku and will let you know how with the FireTV this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Not sure if anyone can offer insight, but I figure I'll throw my issue out there and see if anyone has had this issue.

This happened both with casting from my wife's iPhone to our Chromecast and with the new Amazon FireTV. We have Plex Media server (was 9.9.5 when this occurred) on my iMac which is on a wired connection. Plex was working fantastic for weeks but yesterday it was randomly freezing. Pausing and hitting play would do nothing but if I backed out of the movie/show it'd start right back up where I left off with no problem. After we got fed up and switched to HBO Go to finish our show last night I rebooted the iMac and updated PMS to 9.9.7 (why isn't this doing this automatically? check for updates did nothing!) but haven't had time to see if the problem persists. Has anyone encountered this? What other things should I try to repair?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Anyone having issues with Plex on your FireTV? It'll work great and then randomly will say it cannot play a file that I was just watching. I need to unplug and restart the FireTV to get it to work right again. Alternatively, is there an option to restart it or Plex through the UI? That'd be a fine work around at least.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Do you have the location for the file on Mac installs?

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

teagone posted:

I think profiles are packaged inside the actual app. Right click the Plex Media Server app in whatever folder you put it in, and select "Show Package Contents". Should be somewhere in the Resources folder.

[edit] Apparently editing the XML files that way will get overwritten with each update. According to the Plex forums, in the ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server folder make a folder called "Profiles" and put a copy of the Chromecast.xml in there. The server will use the profiles you put there before it looks for one in the app package.

So the path is ~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Profiles/Chromecast.xml

Interesting as I don't have a PMS directory there. If I remember though, there's two library folders in OS X. It may be under the profile library which isn't readily visible in finder... Will do some digging. Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

teagone posted:

Sorry I couldn't be of more help :( I don't have PMS installed on my Mac. At any rate, is there a WatchESPN plugin for Plex? My googlefu is failing.

Thanks, I figured it out. The users library wasn't viewable in the Finder but I found it in terminal. For future reference it was located right where you said it, here's the full path that I did a 'cp' to:

/Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Profiles

The ~ is shorthand for username directory, IIRC. It's confusing because there's also a /Library/Application Support/

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

fatpat268 posted:

Yea, I know what you mean. Plex on everything else has a pretty similar interface, but the implementation on Roku is just not great. Honestly, I'm probably just gonna pick up a Fire TV to replace this roku lt.

Word to the wise, I went back to the new Roku stick after picking up the FireTV as it'd randomly freeze on Plex and refuse to play the file again without a reboot. I think there needs to be a software update or something. On the other hand, this was happening on WiFi and I have since moved the FireTV to my basement over wired ethernet and in 3 episodes of Cosmos I didn't have any issues. If it weren't for this (crippling) issue the FireTV would be my main box but since the Roku just works, it won. I agree, the UI is a bit ugly, but I'm not in that for long!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Amazon and HBO announced today that Prime video is getting HBO shows. I don't know if that includes current runs or just completed seasons.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

Just completed seasons over 3 years old.

That's still pretty awesome though. HBO has a fantastic catalog of shows in that time frame.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Colt Cannon posted:

Well, I figured out part of my problem with Chromecast. I had my server setup via WIFI, because I wanted to have it in a room that no one really used, so that it wouldn't randomly spin up when I wanted to watch/download/whatever something. Turns out the card I was using would randomly drop down to 5 Mbits speed, and that is right when whatever I was playing would start skipping.

Ran some wire to it, and now have it hardwired into my router, and it works like a charm.

If your server is connecting to Chromecast via WIFI, you may want to check it out, and try to hard wire that poo poo in. I never realized just how lovely my cheapo depo wifi card was till now.

My new iMac was connecting via Wi-Fi and having insane buffering issues. I ran an Ethernet cable and it's never buffered once since.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

withak posted:

Roku tells me that my plex trial has ended and I can't play stuff any more. :gonk: I wasn't aware that I was on trial.

That pissed me off as well. I think I've paid Plex about $25 at this point. Id be mad but it's awesome.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Man, I spent the last few nights really fighting with my Plex, iMac, and Roku trying to get it to work right. Shows and movies kept dropping and freezing left and right. (still haven't been able to catch the new Boardwalk Empire thanks to HBO Go not being able to chromecast!) Finally, it dawned on me to check out whether Wifi was on or not on the server (iMac) and low and behold the Cat5 connection I have going to the router (clip broke off, too lazy to run new cable or put new clip on) slipped out of the port and the iMac defaulted to Wifi.

Plugged it back in and everything is back to running perfectly. God I love Plex. Give it enough local bandwidth and it'll work magically.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

How does the DLNA work? If I access my Plex library from Kodi on my FireTV through DLNA will there be transcoding or just serving the files directly?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

havenwaters posted:

While it's just my experience with it, the Plex app for the fire TV is terrible and stutters all the time. No issues with my Chromecast.

Mine is flawless over Ethernet

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I've recently been rebuilding my audio library from scratch using only lossless (FLAC) quality and was curious as to whether or not Plex is transcoding the FLAC into compressed to my Android app or not. I have looked through the app completely and cannot find any mention of audio transcoding / direct streaming either through toggles or simply information on what is occurring. What is the default behavior for Plex and handling FLAC?

I am considering picking up the Plex Pass as I can easily see it operating as a replacement for Google Music (without the huge variety of music out there, naturally) where I can always attach to the mothership to either stream or download locally the music that I have at home. While FLAC isn't critical on the go, I'd want to have it when playing through my stereo speakers either through my FireTV or Chromecast.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

So what's the problem? Have a wank!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hey all, my internet provider FINALLY lit up the faster speeds (from 15/1 to 50/5 or 110/5) and am able to reliably stream music from my Plex server. Issue is, my stuff is all FLAC. Is there a way to have it transcode it to a lower bitrate for when I'm on mobile? It's chewing through my data plan like nothing else.

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

teagone posted:

I don't stream music on my Plex server, so I don't know if this would work for sure, but have you tried switching off Direct Stream/Direct Play in the Plex app settings on your phone? Not sure where it is on iOS, but on Android, the toggles for Direct Stream/Play are under Settings > Advanced > Player. I'm assuming when you switch both those off, it would force Plex to transcode the FLAC audio to suitable format on your phone.

Thanks, I'm on Android but that doesn't seem to do it. When I look at the transcoding status screen on the web browser and play it from my mobile after making the change it still says Direct Play. Looks like I have more digging to do, I'm sure I'm not the first person that wants FLAC at home and something less data-hungry on the go.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Medullah posted:

Just use Google music? Unless you have an obscene amount of music, just "upload" your music and stream from that. Plex does video well but music isn't really it's specialty

Hey you, guy with a really elegant and simple solution that I should have originally considered.

Thanks!

Won't be anything to point to my FLAC folder to auto-upload to Google Music so they'll be in step with eachother as well. Plus GM has a much better interface and doesn't suffer from 'can't find the server-itis' that plex occasionally gets when away from the house.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

teagone posted:

TraderStav asked that a few posts up. Plex will only transcode music if your device doesn't support whatever format of the media you have on your server. One option to consider would be to use Google Play Music and have it point to your Plex Music Library location to automatically upload and convert the media.

Khablam posted:

I saw that, but was hoping it was part of their big "music" update. It seems bizarrely missing, especially since they're clearly putting more than an afterthought of attention into the music part of it.

I feel compelled to update how excellent of a solution it was to simply point my Google Music desktop app to my carefully curated FLAC directory in PLEX and let it have at it. I have an excellent UI and cloud service that is not dependent on my home connection and the frankly kind of spotty Plex app while mobile.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

teagone posted:

Hmm, what issues are you having with the Plex mobile app? It's been rock solid for me for a while now (save for Android kicking the app out of memory sometimes).

Sometimes when I'm on mobile it won't find my server at home. Usually doesn't happen when I'm on a (different) Wi-Fi network. The navigation is also just a bit more awkward, more clicks to get to what I want to listen to. I just found the Google Music app to much more of a pleasure to use without any compromises.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I just purchased a TV show on iTunes and want to view it through Plex. Is there a way or do I have to find a way to strip out the DRM?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bummer. Can Plex or FireTV receive airplay without cracking?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Not like that couldn't have easily happened in these forums.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Very nice! Need to test this out to see if it's going to be better than using Kodi for my HomerunHD. Not currently a plex pass subscriber so would be an added cost, but potentially a worthwhile one.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Any word on when the FireTV Plex app will be updated to support the live tv?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Did the LiveTV update drop for FireTV? I just got an update and wasn't sure if it was it or not. I don't have Plex pass so cannot try.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Live TV and DVR is apparently available on Fire TV now bunch Plex launched a new UI that everyone thinks is extremely terrible. So 2 steps forward and 1 step back I guess

Sweet! Time to give that a try now. Thanks for the update. Anyone use it on FTV yet with an HDHR?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Is there a way to change the zoom/resolution through the LiveTv on FTV? I have SD channels that are only filling up about 70% of the screen. On the HDHR app through Kodi I can change the settings to stretch it to fill.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Correct. If I can't make it full screen it ain't going to be worth the price of Plex pass when I can just switch over to Kodi and use the app there. I looking forward to all integrated within Plex

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Holy hell, Plex crashes on the unencrypted HD channels. Value prop entirely dropping now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Those playback fine for me

I have a direct coax going to my HDHR. Are you using a cablecard or the Prime?

HD Channels work perfectly on the Web.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

We don't have the psychic ability to tell what client you're using

'We' being that you work for Plex?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

There seemed to be an implied "I need help out of this paper bag." We here in the Plex thread are known to be willing to assist in minor troubleshooting.

I misread and was desperately hoping we had an inside goon at Plex that could help me understand why my HD channels don't work on Live TV with my HD Homerun. I'm going to be cancelling my Plexpass because of that.

This is what I get for speed posting during lunch.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Are they cable channels, or over-the-air channels?

It's cable, but not through a box. I get local HD and basic SD with direct connection. The SDs work great on FireTV but not HD which crashes PLEX. Works fine with web player.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Is your firetv a stick or a box?

Box, with hardware. One of the first though. Connection speed is never an issue

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

The LiveTV is pretty dope with the app. I'm at a family party and able to watch the football game steaming from my plex while still enjoying the outdoors. What a time to be alive. No cable subscription required.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

For some reason my library stopped auto scanning despite the settings being at 15 minutes. Known bug in latest version?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

I've had that happen (along with the DVR just being like "gently caress your recording schedule) and a restarting the server process fixed it.

Thanks. Not sure why restarting it didn't occur to me! Derp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Roundboy posted:

I got the email about a cheap Plex pass so I finally bit. Not really craving any of the features yet but I guess I can have fun in the dev update channel and start looking at dvr live TV options..

What's cheap? I'm showing $119 in my options right now where I thought it was regularly $149.