Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

savesthedayrocks posted:

Anyone able to download this version (or the fix)? I don’t see any option to toggle. Does it retroactively remove the commercials?

It's under "Advanced" on your recording options and should work with any recordings you already have as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Man, using the Plex DVR with commercial skip is a game changer for recording football games. The whole thing is like an hour now!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I remember when I had gamepass a 3hr30 game would shave down to 2hr30 the next day when they’d strip the commercials.

Does the Plex system work well? Anyone had it remove something it shouldn’t? I’m intrigued how it’ll handle something like SNL that has little interstituals in the feed, maybe it’ll do a better job than me with my FF button.

As far as I could tell it didn't remove anything it wasn't supposed to. There were a couple commercials it partially skipped (out of like 40 breaks though) and it had an issue where if it partially skipped then the audio was out of sync by a few seconds until the next commercial break.
Wasn't a big deal for a football game because you just had ambient noise of the game. In a normal TV show you wouldn't have nearly as many breaks anyways.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They didn’t “lose a sale”, you “lost a sale” because you canceled the sale you doorknob.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

*calls company*
“Yes I’d like to cancel my sale”
“Ok, we’ve canceled your sale”
You guys just lost a sale!”

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HDHomerun Connect Quattro on sale for $99

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hdhomerun-connect-quatro-tuner-black/6079602.p

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

havenwaters posted:

I just went headless windows 10 pro.

I'm sure unraid could be easier/better for me but oh well I stuck with what I know and just threw stablebit scanner and drivepool onto it.

Same for me. The disk space cost is larger since everything is 2x, but recovery of data is super easy if a drive fails and I have like 50tb anyways so who cares.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There lots of people who have their Plex servers on NAS boxes or low powered servers so getting a DirectPlay capable device is pretty crucial.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Intel Quicksync is supported on a hell of a lot more devices too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

So instead of fixing known long standing bugs I guess Plex decided they needed to completely redo the UI in their app for some stupid reason

Real shame they have a single developer that does all coding and UI design and can only work on one thing at a time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

You can’t disable the tracking? That’s insanely lovely. Even my $200 HiSense brings up a full page about tracking then asks if you want it on or not.

You can “limit ad tracking” which disables personalization and stops Roku from sharing the data with third parties, but they still collect it. OTA usage is shared with Neilson regardless.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Here's the blog post: https://www.plex.tv/blog/grid-who/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Have any plexpass users with hardware transcoding enabled been experiencing transcoder crashes? I had to disable it to get my daughter her Elmo fix.

Is your server a Windows box? There was a Windows update that rolled out about a week or two ago that screwed things up. There should be a hotfix for it if you force an update.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

I am indeed on Windows. Never occurred to me that it would be on their end. Thanks!

Yeah, took me forever to figure out. Something in the update messed up the way certain apps buffer network transfers.

There’s a giant thread on the Plex forums now.
https://forums.plex.tv/t/windows-10-update-kb4338819-issue-conversion-failed-the-transcoder-exited-due-to-an-error/288449

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's a Xeon based Lenovo TS140 or Dell T30 that goes on sale for <$300 every few weeks that seems to be the sweet spot for price/performance.
Comes with 4 HDD bays and no OS.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 22, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

2018 is the year of linux on the desktop

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

This product has been seriously going downhill ever since it stopped supressing XBox notifications.

Shumagorath posted:

My XBox isn't hardwired and the wifi in here is kinda congested with multiple 2.4 and 5GHz networks. I'll look into splicing more Cat5e today.

lol

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Plex on Roku just had a major UI overhaul to bring it more in line with the Apple TV app. If you’re on the beta/preview channel it should show up.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's a special deal today for Plex Pass members.

If you have Plex Pass, you can get a 20% coupon to the WD store. WD is running a promo on SSD drives already so the 20% off that brings prices down quite a bit.

Price After Coupon + Link:

500GB = $55.99
1TB = $107.99
https://www.wd.com/products/internal-ssd/wd-blue-3d-nand-sata-ssd.html#WDS500G2B0A

Get the 20% coupon here: https://www.plex.tv/plex-pass/perks/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The last time I used Kodi it was still xbmc and it was just another local media client, plugins weren’t that big yet. I can see how if you haven’t followed what’s been happening in that ecosystem very closely you wouldn’t know that Kodi is basically synonymous with “pirated movie streams from Estonia”

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Anyone who sets their olds up to be dependent on piracy deserves the bed the made for themselves

I can’t stop them. My mom saw an ad on Facebook for one of these boxes, forked over a hundred loving dollars for one and is now bugging me to set it up for her but I refuse.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lifetime Plex Pass is currently on sale for $90 with promo code HOLIDAY25

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I've found if you tell Plex to transcode a version ahead of time, then add them to plex sync, it works much better.

For the kid's iPads I just mainly use Waltr now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RIP Aereo

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cornjob posted:

Anyone else using stablebit? I just discovered it. Its pretty great.

Which product? I've been using Drive Pool and Drive Scanner ever since Windows Home Server died and it's been needs-suiting.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The older HDHomeRun Connect Refurbished is available for $45 from the HDHomeRun site as well
https://shop.silicondust.com/shop/product-category/refurbished-hardware/?scrollto=477262

I haven't been able to find out what differences, if any, exist between the Connect and Connect Duo

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you have separate accounts you can also creep on what they watch and mock them mercilessly for watching A Bad Show

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think he’s talking about Plex’s subscription TV service, which I think you can combine with HDHR for local channels.

There's no such thing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

We really need some sort of decentralized open-source TVDB. Preferably on the blockchain.

I’ll start the wiki.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I've always meant to look into ++ but I have Coda on my Mac for webscripting so never got around to it. Can it be made to look as barebones as Notepad? That's all I'm looking for in an an app, just an empty white screen with no formatting or anything of that crap, no number lines, icons or anything. I have OneNote or whatever the Office365 thing is for stuff that needs to be filed properly, but for my day to day stuff I just want pure simplicity.

It's got a couple buttons and line numbers (which you can disable) but it's as basic as you can get while still powerful if you want to explore the menus a bit

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 13, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Plex has the lifetime subs on sale for $99 with promo code PLEXDAD

https://www.plex.tv/plex-pass/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Plex is finally running a promo code for the $75 lifetime Plex Pass for everyone, no targeted email needed.

Promo code: PLEXFORLIFE

Only for new customers however, so if you have an existing account you need to sign up under a new email.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shrimpy posted:

Just in case it helps some people, it seems as if it's for new paying customers. The code worked on my years-old account, but I'd never paid for Plex Pass before.

I'm sorry, yes this is for new customers who have never had Plex Pass before. If you've always been on the free tier you can still upgrade for $75.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

I'm on Plexpass and the issue persists after an update. I'll just chalk it up to TVDB being fucky today.

It's been hosed for a week and I can't match any TV shows at all.

I moved over my whole library the day everything went to poo poo and I'm missing all my posters still.

There's a megathread related to it
https://forums.plex.tv/t/thetvdb-metadata-v3-api-and-related-issues/491771

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fuzz posted:

It's pretty bullshit they killed plugins.

Did they? I had a trakt one that I really liked :smith:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nickhimself posted:

Is there an external hard drive that can act as a Plex server without getting into NAS territory? I have a Synology but don't want to use it for this if I can avoid it. It looks like WD Passport can do this, but with some compatibility issues (solvable). Is there something better? I'm looking for around 5 to 10TB capacity if that helps any.

A Plex server needs a network to operate, and a NAS is a network attached storage. You're gonna need something with an Ethernet/WiFi connection of some type regardless.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Simpsons is a good example of letting someone else do the work for you. The DVDs as they stand look like rear end, or you could use the versions taken from Disney+ or the ones that a dude processed by hand over a long time from the DVDs to do the necessary work needed to make them look 10x better. There's nothing to be gained ripping the discs yourself.

Yeah this is probably the wrong example, the streaming versions have been "enhanced" and smoothed over and just look bad.

Otherwise you're correct.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Widely Compatible
Can Live Without Internet
Doesn't Need Fiddling

Pick two.

RIP WDTV

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

priznat posted:

RIP Boxee Box

you goofy looking bastard

I had that one too

The Boxee Box’s greatest contribution was introducing the world to the combination keyboard/remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Intriguing, I wonder if it was ripped due to perhaps not having the green tint that was added to the other home releases.

edit: Apparently you're right, until the 4k remasters came out the Laserdisc version was the only way you could see the Matrix with the original theatrical coloring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEdgmNZnLs4

Also I just found out that Laserdisc is an analog format which blows my mind

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 9, 2020