Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Khablam posted:

The Matrix was on DVD.

It was THE movie on DVD and probably drove DVD adoption more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm essentially doing the witch oil and garlic powder remedy to try and get the Plex discount. Everywhere around the web has some sort of mythology around how or when people get the discount. Some say they get it every 6 months, some say they get it 2 weeks after contacting support, some say they never get it at all, and some say they get it, but the never had premium to any extent. Since I'm desperate, I made a bunch of new Plex accounts linked through Google, and now I'm waiting for magic to probably never happen. I contacted support on my main account and brought up the Plex Pass pricing etc, left a glowing review, and we'll see how that plays out.

In reality, it wouldn't break the bank if I got the Plex Pass for its standard price, but it would always sit in the back of my head that I could have had it for $75 as opposed to $100 or $120l.

There's no rhyme to reason to it. Just wait for it to drop down to $120 or $99 on sale and then buy it, content in knowing that the day after you do you'll find the discount email sent 6 days ago in your spam folder.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

From poking around forums where people talk about laserdiscs, a lot of them run them on old Trinitron CRTs and other high end tube TVs. Plugging them into an HDTV makes them look like absolute dogshit.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Huge_Midget posted:

It starts to get old after a while, especially if you do IT/Server stuff as your job too.

Same way I started using Macs after several years of fixing broken Windows PCs

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Plex Pass lifetime membership for $90. This appears to be same as last year's BF pricing so I don't expect it to go lower.
Use promo code SURVIVETHESEASON

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Plex Pass lifetime membership for $90. This appears to be same as last year's BF pricing so I don't expect it to go lower.
Use promo code SURVIVETHESEASON

Apparently if you set the country as Brazil and use a credit card with no international processing fees, the conversion rate take this down to $70.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I stream to 3 people at 720p 3mbps on a 20mbps upload connection and it’s been just fine. Keep in mind that remote clients will buffer the stream so they’re not actually all uploading at the same time, they will each take turns downloading the chunks they need.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you use Unraid I believe Wireguard is built in now :)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

How does the local syncing to an iOS device work with Plex? Trying to load this thing up before an extended road trip for my kid. Will I need to authenticate or anything? I likely won’t have any network connection at all

I have plex pass (and also paid for the app ages ago, lol)

The Plex sync was so unreliable for me that in just broke down and got Waltr to convert and sync them to the TV app or whatever it’s called now

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Taima posted:

Is there a way to make Windows 11 queue up moving of large remux files?

It's real dumb, Windows just auto-moves them all at once simultaneously, causing everything to run horrifically slow. The only way around it is to pause and then re-enable each individual file move as it goes across the server, which is... ok? But pretty dumb

Get something like Teracopy that lets you queue up files to move sequentially instead of all at once.
https://www.codesector.com/teracopy

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I just spent the better part of a day finding every episode of HowardTV (Howard Stern's old OnDemand TV show that no longer exists so downloading from usenet is literally the only option) and I managed to track down and obtain 1,802 episodes.

There's no way Plex is going to get even 1% of the episodes tagged properly, which is fine. But is there any way to get the HowardTV entry under my TV shows to show all of the episodes, even if it's just filenames like "HowardTV - Riley Martin & Eric (99) - CPA.avi" ?

Or am I going to have to watch these through Kodi? (which would kind of suck, I'd love to be able to "watch" these while at work or outside the house).

Plex has a “other videos” library which doesn’t have any metadata matching. You could put them in a separate folder and point the library there.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You can make whatever custom library you want and tell it to classify it as “videos” and ignore metadata. So you would have Movies, TV, personal videos and “HowardTV”. I’m not sure of you can have it in the same TV library but not use metadata.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Not sure if there's a better thread for this but I saw Tdarr mentioned here before.

I started up a Tdarr instance on my Unraid box and I'm chewing through about 30tb of content via the CPU very slowly, about 15fps.
I was able to set up a node on my kid's PC gaming rig and get the AMD RX580 to do some work. It start flying through the content at about 150fps.

On the Unraid CPU the file size drops and average of 50%. On the AMD GPU transcodes drop the size about 90%. 10gb file goes to 1.5gb.

The problem I have is that playback with the AMD GPU encoded files is nearly impossible. It spins up the GPU 100% and seeking in the file is impossible. If you play straight through is seems OK but if you jump ahead in the video it causes the system to go crazy.

I followed these instructions here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Tdarr/comments/qsppw6/using_amd_vcn_for_large_h264_to_h265_transcode/

Did I set something up wrong here? I'm new to this stuff and only used handbrake GUI in the past occasionally to reencode files for the kid's iPads.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

madsushi posted:

Can you share a MediaInfo paste of one of each type of file? My guess would be that the resultant files are different in some way (codec, etc) based on the size difference and the playback issues. The other thing to check would be how the files are being played between Plex client and Plex server. You can view this on the Plex dashboard while playing, and see if one file has to transcode while the other does not, etc.

I haven't actually tried in Plex yet, this is just trying to play back via VLC

Here's the original file:

Here's the file encoded via GPU:

Here's a different file with the CPU encoder:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I use Trakt to have Radarr just automatically grab the Top 10 viewed movies. My Plex server is shared with a few relatives and usually whatever they want to watch just shows up automatically without them having to ask me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

What the hell? Just get an AppleTV, you don’t need a full blown Mac to serve media files.

I feel that some of you are really overcomplicating things

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have AppleTVs on my TVs but a Fire Stick in the garage and it’s the most miserable piece of electronics I own.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Netflix charging $10/mo for Standard Def streams is criminal.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Plex have changed their logo. I will let you use your knowledge of the history of companies changing their logo to guess whether it is good or not.

Embrace tradition

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

cruft posted:

Google TV is just great, especially after I replaced the stock launcher with F-Launcher and got rid of all the ads.

lmao

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

e.pilot posted:

I just threw a quadro p400 in mine, it doesn’t take much

Same but it has some weirdness with Plex/PsuedoTV so I disabled hardware decoding. I have 12 core Xeon and 4k sequestered in its own library so it’s not that big of a deal.

Thing rips through Tdarr though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

For anyone running Unraid they're having a 30% off sale on upgrades
https://unraid.net/upgrade-sale

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I let Tdarr tear through my entire library at h.265 and it looks just fine to me. Everyone has access to those files.
I have a separate library of specific movies in 4k that doesn't get touched. Those aren't available to remote streamers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

cruft posted:

You need to get on Team Velcro poo poo To The Back Of The TV, OP.

(Ha ha only serious)

They even make nice little mounts for AppleTV boxes that tape to the back of the TV

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Corb3t posted:

Is it an ISP, or is it a Hosting provider? The article seems to indicate that Plex users were storing media for their Plex servers on the Hosting provider's servers, which seems like a huge no-no. Similar to how some Plex users were storing media on Google Drive servers instead of their own home server, yes?

This really shouldn't be an issue if you are a user who hosts all their media from home instead of on a hosting providers server. I have to imagine the vast majority of Plex users are doing the former.

Edit:

Plex mod seems to indicate the same thing:

There's a very lucrative business of renting out access to Plex servers for a monthly fee. I see ads for them all over Reddit and TikTok.

You put up a Plex instance on Hetzner and then host all your content on Enterprise Google Drive accounts which can get up to 5tb storage. VPS plans have 30tb outbound traffic and Ingress data from Google to Hetzner is free.
Total cost is about $100/mo and you sell off ~100 logins for $5/mo

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

I just hope we aren't in the late stages of some lovely :capitalism: cycle where they collect up millions of users by facilitating grey-area filesharing, then get acquired / "go legit" causing their entire userbase to jump ship.

We’re in it now. Plex’s FAST (free, ad supported television) advertising stream is growing super fast and I wouldnt be surprised if their ad revenue already outpaces subscription fees.

This was just posted today, 39% of all content watched on Plex is their ad-supported content, up from 25% last year. It’ll be the majority of media played by next year. They’re just another Tubi or Pluto that also supports local content at this point.

https://thestreamable.com/news/plex-sees-54-percent-increase-in-fast-viewers-over-2022-64-percent-rise-in-global-channel-count

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Edit: too slow

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Corb3t posted:

How big is everybody's Plex server? I'm curious.

I've got an 110 TB Unraid server with about 80 TB full.

Nice try Fed

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you want to make your viewing habits private FYI:

Go to https://app.plex.tv/desktop/#!/profile/edit
Click on "Privacy Settings" at the bottom of the page
Dialog pops up where you can change stuff to private

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

code:
If you are affiliated with any government, anti-piracy group or any other related group, 
or were formally a worker of one you CANNOT enter this web site, cannot access any of its 
files and you cannot view any of the HTML files. If you enter this site you are not agreeing to 
these terms and you are violating code 431.322.12 of the Internet Privacy Act signed by 
Bill Clinton in 1995 and that means that you CANNOT threaten our ISP(s) or any person(s) 
or company storing these files, and cannot prosecute any person(s) affiliated with this page 
which includes family, friends or individuals who run or enter this web site.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

AppleTV stays winning

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

Can you run PlexAmp with Apple TV? Also can you install SmartTube and kill all youtube ads?

YouTube ads is the biggest pain point, there’s no easy way to block them on device and DNS blocking doesn’t seem to work. I ended up just buying a cheap YouTube premium sub over VPN.

That Works posted:

Seconding this and do you have to have a subscription to use the AppleTV device and have they purposefully obsoleted older devices to make them nonfunctional?

What the gently caress are you talking about?

tvOS 17 is supported on the AppleTV HD, a device released nearly 9 years ago.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can you even get a good quality tv without a smart OS built in these days?

Not really, but it's easy to just not connect your smart TV to the WiFi. Most TVs these days have the option to default to an input on power on and just bypass the smart features entirely.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The OP is just out of date. ATV had some bad file format issues but it easily fixed several OS updates ago.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I only have 20mb upload speeds so I'm limited to 3-4 friends all at 3mbps quality :smith:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I've had a dizque setup for about a year now just playing every old episode of WWE Raw, Smackdown and every PPV. I fall asleep to Kurt Angle's theme every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ha you’ve conditioned yourself! I have a wrestling channel that shows things like PPVs as well as individual 5*+ WON rated matches. I mean to work on that more, but they’re such easy channels to put together for background.

Does anyone with one of these systems not immediately make a classic Simpsons years channel? Impossible not to. I need to add some promos to mine for between episodes I think.

I'm a simple man