Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Big Sam out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

euroboy posted:

It's a amazing that a football superpower like england only has one competent goalkeeper

I'm not actually sure which one you're referring to here.

We've got quite a lot of second rate keepers tbh, provided the Big Two don't die horribly it's not a big deal. Foster, Ruddy, Carson are all good enough to be in the squad and not embarrass us. Younger players we've got a few who are rated reasonably but aren't playing top flight yet. Rudd, Butland, Steele, McCarthy.

Hell I'd go with Forster over Hart. Everyone knows Forster becomes magic as soon as he realises people might actually watch.

Blue Screen Error posted:

Zaha and Townsend are only in contention in Michael Owen's mind

Townsend will go and I'll tell everyone I'm Irish and bitch about terry henry.

euroboy posted:

Hodgson should unironically give Ricky Lambert a place On The Plane.

He's our second best striker and that's not even a bad thing, he's adapted to the league wonderfully. He won't go because sometimes he plays nice passes and he's not allowed to do that as a Big Lad so it'll be Carroll or Crouchy if Andy's drunk again.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Ewar Woowar posted:

Sturridge
Sterling-Rooney-Lallana
Gerrard-Henderson
Baines-Cahill-Jagielka-Johnson
Hart

That's the team for me.

As for Shaw/Cole I'd hope they take the former. In no way does Cole deserve to be first choice and Shaw is absolutely incredible for his age and deserves the call up.

Lallana plays a free role and I'd genuinely drop Rooney for him right now. Hell, Barkley starts over Rooney on form.

But definitely Sterling on the right ffs, you want him linking up with Johnson since they train together all year.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I know southampton fans here and the token one I know in real life have been arguing that he's inconsistent and his finishing needs a lot of work as an argument against him, but then you remember the alternative is Townsend so he'd better loving start.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Byolante posted:

I know Gerrard has had this resurgence as a holding mid at Liverpool under rodgers but I am absolutely certain the moment he pulls on an England shirt he will be holywood look at me england gerrard.

Carrick is beyond gash this year though. If Gerrard is dropped and his replacement isn't Noble it's objectively wrong, the lad has been dominant for two years in a fairly poo poo side and probably does the Gerrard role better than Gerrard. He has the passing range and is more mobile with better tackling these days. He's also a great set piece taker. I'd have Gerrard over him in the starting lineup because of the link with the rest of the Liverpool And Friends XI, not form. Barry would be next. Then you're looking at Thudd and then Cork if he stays in form and fit. Carrick wouldn't even get in the England B squad right now.

AJ and Davies are good shouts for a squad callup too but noooooobody cares.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

DickEmery posted:

Just relegate West Ham anyway, half their supporters would be up for it if it got rid of the fatty.

no dont you see really we support him despite what we say and the owners are top lads for having faith according to Football Fixer Kevin Nolan

perhaps my use of fixer, in the sense of fixing alcoholic troublemakers, had an intentional second meaning?? who knows.

Byolante posted:

It would be better if West Ham got relegated due to them not getting a points deduction.

I'm pretty sure Sunderland aren't going to relegate us but it would be some funny poo poo to be sure

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

T Fowl posted:

They'll have a sell back clause I'd imagine for 1-2 seasons if they actually do off load him. See what he does, pay a bit more to get him back. Most clubs will be willing to work with that who'd be in for him i'd imagine.

I love that people seem to think Chelsea have enough money to completely poo poo on Lukaku by playing loving Torres, get rid, and then assume they can snap their fingers and he'll come back no questions asked.

I do not love that Chelsea think this too and it's almost entirely true, with the only question being "how much?"

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

"On his premier league debut, Kane shows that he is able"

commentator of the month awards should be given out.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

CareyB posted:

I never really got Everton fans issue with the new badge either. Much cleaner design that still kept faith to the history of the club that the fans felt that it was new and they were somehow losing something by the change, but were they, really?

Football clubs hate each other for industrial disputes and stadium relocations that predate most of the fans birth, so they're pretty big on the tradition thing as a rule.

Also Hull Tigers is dumb as gently caress, Cardiff Dragons is dumb as gently caress.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Thirteenth Step posted:

I can't understand why neutrals want the oil clubs to win the league over Liverpool. Liverpool are easily the most likeable of the title contenders.

Liverpools owners let the CIA use their planes to ferry around kidnapees between torture sites so any moral argument is a bit silly. Also because nobody cares.

I'm willing to let 2006 go for just this once so everyone else can just deal with it imo. It'll be painful seeing Gerrard win something but tolerable. John Terry winning anything is never tolerable.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

aeverous posted:

I remember loads of dudes predicting that Stevie G one of the most complete players of his generation would be a liability this season because he can't run as much anymore.

Lets not be retarded, Gerrard was a complete attacking player but there's a reason he was never used much in CM, he suffers the same "run around everywhere" problem Rooney has always had. That he's finally got over this and learnt to conserve his energy right when he needed it is a testament to Rodgers coaching.

He looked exhausted at the end of last season and he's always played a draining game full of sprinting and runs. It's a surprise he's found a way to be useful, as not that many players actually adapt their game as much as he has.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

8raz posted:

jesus christ

fear not good scouse lad, the black spirit struggles against its iron chains beneath westminster. All will be well when this week passes.

I just realised tomorrows early match is loving QPR. While I enjoy watching Harry squirm as much as anyone I'd like to not have his team get money, so as to speed up the bankruptcy. Mods??

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Do you purposely misrepresent information or are you just not able to parse it all fully?

does everyone think his title is ironic or something

his bad posting award is the most serious and straightfaced set of words ever written in TRP.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

the only thing they had to do was make it clear they wanted Clemgren to him as soon as interest in Kebab was announced and blag that they were only waiting because they couldnt afford him and of course they'd prefer him to Cabaye, which I assume every club ever would do because footballers are whiny egotistical children.

Instead they slighted him and now don't have a single midfielder capable of passing more than 10m along the floor, while also giving every club in Europe six months to figure this out and charge them a premium in the summer. It was utterly shambolic and Newcastle fans have every right to be furious about it.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Spiffeh posted:

pretty sure Nolan's injured tonight which means Allardyce might actually play someone useful instead (he won't though he'll play Matty Taylor or another of his poo poo mates in his place instead)

It'd be nice if we had Ravel. As it is, with Moncur gone too, the best we can hope for is Noble/Diame/Nocerino. In fact that's literally the only option that doesn't involve Joe Cole or Alou Diarra.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Gigi Galli posted:

Is Nocerino as poo poo for you guys as he was for his last season at Milan? I haven't watched any West Ham games since he went there.

He hasn't played.

Taff posted:

Ravel is mental and fell out with Big Sam.

I'm still pretty sure that it was another case of Big Sam's Big Agent, what with him having a history of doing this and the fact that nobody sued the guardian.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

mynameisjohn posted:

hes come on as a sub a few times and looked fine

He's better than our other midfielders but that's what I meant by "hasn't played". He's easily good enough to start, and he isn't starting. Because he's not Matt Taylor.

Also yeah this ties in to the Ravel thing: anyone that thinks Big Sam isn't being a dodgy oval office should pay attention to the utter poo poo with his agent that keep getting starts.

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Although considering Diame did an interview yesterday explicitly saying that he wants to leave, I doubt he'll start today.

Haha whaaaaaaaaaaaaat, I've missed this. I don't really care because he can't pass for poo poo but I don't have any faith in replacing him well.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Blue Screen Error posted:

~rumours~ say you're after Leroy Fer

Wouldn't hate this. Would hate the price.

e; Finn please unlock the gameday thread I promise nobody will talk about you (we'll be busy laughing at Arsenal)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Dylan Tombides has died aged 20.

I thought he'd beaten his cancer, evidently not. 2 years to the day since his premier league debut. Diagnosed several years ago at the u18 world cup.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

While Moyes is changing his team a lot, the obsession with the 'best 11' is a bit weird. You pick the best 11 players you have for that opposition. You wouldn't pick the same team you used against West Ham that has 5 attacking players to start against City/Chelsea, but not doing that is bad? I dont get it.

I thought it was actually that many different lineups, which would be utterly insane. Rotating this many matches is totally normal yeah, all the top clubs do it because of the reasons you mentioned + actually having squad depth.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

excuse me lady posted:

SSN say they and the MEN have been on to the club who refused to confirm or deny

Won't even comment? Nice meltdown.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

euroboy posted:

@SkySportsPeteO: David Moyes's departure from Manchester United set to be announced imminently. #MUFC

It's happening.

I'm gooing to laugh myself stupid if the press got Davey Moyes fired purely by making the glaziers aware that he is, in fact, not doing well.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

ZeeBoi posted:

lol why the gently caress would Klopp, Simeone or Blanc leave their respective clubs where they enjoy plenty of success.

Blanc is utter poo poo and will be fired at the end of the season. United wouldn't go near him.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

James R posted:

Yet he just signed a new contract?

ok so to anyone who doesnt follow French football this is actually almost as funny as the way Moyes is being fired

Blanc is poo poo.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

"we have enough money to realistically dominate football broadcasting within the next ten years and are on track to do so. Our fifth choice manager just utterly hosed up the CL ridiculously, the players look like turd half the time, everyone is underperforming. Oh we won the league cup? five more years!"

loving PSG, and Moyes? a tasty day for Spangly A.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Modus Trollens posted:

did he? lmao hes clueless

Also it all but guarantees Wenger signing a new contract after this years shambles

lovin it op

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

I was being serious. You guys were humming along pretty well under Hodgson and under the early days with Clarke.

Thats because these are good managers

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

James R posted:

Liverpool are effectively outscoring whoever they play as they know their defence isn't the best. Suarez and Sturridge have 50 league goals between them. Gerrard and Sterling take that to 72 between the four of them.

Man United.. Rooney and RVP have 25 between them. Welbeck is the only other in the top scorers charts with 9 to his name. So United's three most potent attackers have 34 between them and an old, injury prone and not very good defence. Whereas Liverpool have attackers scoring for fun and a not very good defence.

Skrtel has 7 in the league. Seven. Nineteen year old actual talent Raheem Sterling outscoring England Striker Danny Welbeck from the wing is also funny.

tbp posted:

Hodgson is terrible.

If you think he was bad at Fulham or West Brom then you a crazy person, soz.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

FullLeatherJacket posted:

England Striker Danny Welbeck has also largely played on the wing

I'm somewhat amused by the fact that people haven't yet twigged on to the fact that the core problem United have had this season is still in creating anything in the middle of the park, and have instead assumed that two of the most prolific strikers in Premier League history are actually both poo poo (and also Danny Welbeck, who once was good for Sunderland, like five years ago)

I twigged op, I twigged hard. But maybe two strikers doing the same thing alongside an immobile and defensive Fellaini and Carrick not giving any shits leads to not creating chances, who knew?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TheGoatFeeder posted:

In actual Premier League news, Burnley have just been promoted, decent away day that.

Phwoar, proper chuffed. Hope nobody pinches Ings/Vokes from them. Another academy product making the prem.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

FullLeatherJacket posted:

If "hiring Dennis Wise and letting him sign players off Youtube" is acceptable in court as Constructive Dismissal, I'm pretty sure that leaking to the press that you'd been fired so that you'd resign (why would you even resign if you'd already been fired?) would be pretty nailed on.

I'd be amazed if there was much truth in it.

e; this paragraph was a mess I'm rewriting it.
Curbishley got his full contract paid out after resigning, because the chairman signed actually good players and it made Curbishley's utter dross players upset.

Moyes could walk and get the full contract right now, the club haven't done nearly enough to combat this in the press.

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 21, 2014

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Robert Martinez

This unironically

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I'm not being ironic.

I like this. I approve of this.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I'm amazed how many people are buying into this "it was obvious" myth

it wasn't

quote psybro for comedy gold on page 2 though.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Strawman posted:

:confused: Seems like all the non-united fans predict them finishing 3rd-7th. Very few people have been surprised by the decline, just that they got this shite this fast.

four people who arent tbp predicted outside top 4. Four.

I think it's absolutely fair to say people expected Davey Moyes to do better than his Everton team by more than a 2 point margin.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

When you walk through the storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark
At the end of the storm
There's a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of the lark

Walk on, through the wind
Walk on, through the rain
Though your dreams be tossed and blown
Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone.

Moyes must walk.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

I'm forever blowing bubbles,
Pretty bubbles in the air
They fly so high, nearly reach the sky
And like my dreams they fade and die

Fortune's always hiding,
I've looked everywhere

I'm forever blowing bubbles,
Pretty bubbles in the air

United. United. United.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Someone with even the slightest hint of talent at editing images should be doing one set to an extract of the ring and a pictoral representation of gotterdammerung

why arent you?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Cart Cam posted:

What other managers will fit with the cum on david moyes chant?

just change the first name to that of his wife and it'll work for Giggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

this is incredible.

You've just got to be yourself! be natural! like Paul Ince, and Roy Keane, noted great managers!

He's getting the job and getting them into the relegation scrap and loving everyone's wives.

• Locked thread