Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Pretty sure it's Dave Kitson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

He's not a real footballer, he just learned to play football watching Youtube videos

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

tarbrush posted:

The Mail on Sunday has suffered a slow news day

"Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger fears players are putting their careers at risk by taking legal drugs to combat hair loss."

You can run this via noted baldman expert T. Finn, but if they're taking finasteride, that is actually known to have a bunch of lovely side effects.

*pays £90 per month to have cock and balls stop working, grows eight hairs*

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Meat Wagon posted:

Norwich fans are ungrateful and should be careful what they wish for and a bunch of other terrible cliches. Remember Charlton.

Nobody remembers Charlton

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

euroboy posted:

Podolski is a garbageman most of the time and gently caress knows what Cazorla, Arteta and Flamini is up to.

I don't normally defend Arsenal players, since it's normally somebody claiming that Koscielny and Mertesacker are the best defenders in the league or that Arsenal are better man-for-man than Chelsea, but I'm pretty sure all four of those players (and Ozil) were good before they showed up at Arsenal. If they're collectively phoning it in, maybe it's more to do with the club than it is to do with them.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Scudamore is going to pull a Bernie Ecclestone and award United double points in the last game.

Get your bets in now for best and tastiest odds.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

How often do people bring up Nottingham Forest's relegation under Clough?

The problem with that is that it pretty much goes hand in hand with Clough's fairly public alcoholism. People remember that as much as they remember Forest going down.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Hoops posted:

Suarez at Carrow Road, gonna gently caress them up super bad

Imagine if it's actually Norwich that derail Liverpool's title hopes.

Alanis Morisette feels a disturbance in the force, like a million scoozers all cried out at once and then suddenly kept whinging for the next ten years.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I mean, they won't, though, because it's Norwich and they're real bad. But I'd laugh if it happened.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Don't forget the time Liverpool fans organised a massive campaign to get a violent thug out of prison on the basis that he was scouse and that the man who'd been left with permanent brain damage wasn't scouse at all, and was in fact foreign.

Legitimately despicable.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

8raz posted:

Let's not forget you'd be arguing his innocence if you'd have been born 10 years earlier or so!

It doesn't matter in the slightest who he supports, if some United fans went on a piss-up tour through Europe and decide to smash a paving slab over somebody's head for no reason other than that he was doing his job, they'd be welcome to go stay in prison for a very long time and I'd be utterly embarrassed if anyone from the club had anything to do with any campaign or fundraising on their behalf.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Taff posted:

Jose when I was up in newcastle a few months ago everyone I knew who was a newcastle fan told me the same thing - Pardew wont be sacked or quit because he has massive gambling debts to Ashley, and he's working them off. Is there any truth to that or is it all bollocks. I got told it by a few different season ticket holders, and then by an old man with his dogs who stopped me when I was posing outside the stadium. Heres the pic of me posing

taff are you now saying that you are an itk for a club you visited for a day in a city where you didn't even speak the language

Grimble posted:

Leeds supporters don't

a lot of prisons in europe tbf

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

He's a moron, he once didn't attend a skeet shooting team building trip with City because of his "Buddhism".

Well, it's not like he can say, "I'm not going because Craig Bellamy will shoot at me with a gun", is it?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Ravel posted:

The council just notified me to prepare for a Chelsea victory parade next month lol

Bus - 1
Blue paint - 1 can
Congestion charge fee - On expenses

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Is that the Chelsea victory parade?

Yes. You can really see the joy in the fans' faces.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

103 new posts? I wonder what could have happened, I'll just go back and read them now...

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

ZeeBoi posted:

lol why the gently caress would Klopp, Simeone or Blanc leave their respective clubs where they enjoy plenty of success.

Again, a reminder at this juncture that Marcelo Lippi is currently managing a poo poo Chinese team for shitloads of money

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

Moyes isn't underperforming though, he's performing exactly, almost to the number, how he performed at Everton. He's the same manager. Why was he picked for the United job when he never won a single trophy with Everton and his highest finish was 4th, once? United got exactly the manager they signed. WHY was he picked in the first place is the question, everything that has followed his appointment is no surprise at all, based on a decade's worth of proof.

This is easy to say in hindsight, though, but the same still applies to Rodgers (why pick him for the Liverpool job when he'd had two seasons as a manager and his best achievement was finishing midtable with a newly promoted team, no better than Paul Lambert or Steve Bruce) or Martinez (essentially built his career on repeatedly narrowly avoiding relegation, up until he didn't). It's not particularly unreasonable for clubs who aren't Chelsea to hire a midtable manager who's consistently done well.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Blue Screen Error posted:

Its not hindsight though, everyone said he would be poo poo at Man U

I don't think they really did, save the people who poo poo all over everything regardless, and the ones who believed that United would immediately implode once Ferguson left whatever happened (and who now still believe this).

United went looking for somebody who was going to carry on in the manner that it was built, somebody who had the right work ethic and who would be able to show the right commitment to the club. It was very clear what they wanted, and why the chose the person they did, in the same way that Liverpool didn't go out and sign Rodgers purely because no-one else was available. They wanted him as part of the long-term project for the club. I don't think that was necessarily the wrong thing to do. Maybe in retrospect you do what Barcelona did and give Mike Phelan the opportunity to run the club full-time, but considering Brian Kidd and Carlos Queiroz, that may not have worked out brilliantly.

It was obvious, of course, that Moyes was going to have to adapt how he played, I even remember Neville & Carragher talking about it in the build-up to the season, and that seems to be where it's fallen down. The idea that the players are poo poo is nonsense. There are individuals who are suspect and positions that are weak, but as much as Mourinho is not a wizard, neither was Ferguson. The team he left behind was not a seventh-place team, and people who believe that he did shouldn't be allowed sharp objects on the ward. Of course, the acid test is going to be how the players perform, or are willing to perform, under a new manager. But I think the performance against Olympiakos showed that there's definitely quality there for someone who's able to get it to work.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

ayb posted:

They've told everyone else they have no comment. I doubt they've been told differently

TalkSPORT are our official Poorly Informed Shouting & Bullshit Partners for the Home Counties

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Blue Screen Error posted:

You say this like it hasn't happened

Like I say, the acid test will be how the players perform for whoever comes in next. If they continue to mope around not giving a poo poo, then you're looking at a much more long-term building project. If they're challenging for the title again then Davey Moyes dies on the way back to his home planet (Scotland), or goes where managerial careers go to die (also Scotland).

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Spangly A posted:

Skrtel has 7 in the league. Seven. Nineteen year old actual talent Raheem Sterling outscoring England Striker Danny Welbeck from the wing is also funny.

England Striker Danny Welbeck has also largely played on the wing

I'm somewhat amused by the fact that people haven't yet twigged on to the fact that the core problem United have had this season is still in creating anything in the middle of the park, and have instead assumed that two of the most prolific strikers in Premier League history are actually both poo poo (and also Danny Welbeck, who once was good for Sunderland, like five years ago)

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Hoops posted:

Hired a manager, he wasn't working, sacked him, got someone else. It's only something to write 10,000 words about if you're a club who had Alex Ferguson for 27 years. The fans will get used to it, just like Madrid, Barca, Bayern, and god knows the big Italian clubs are used to it.

Pretty much. The manager was given as much support as he reasonably could be, which was always the point. He was never going to be sacked for "not winning things", and he'd still be receiving support now if there was a reasonable chance that he could turn the situation around. However, the odds on that are... not good.

Also, mentioning TalkSPORT just now reminded me again of the time they complained that City signed David Silva and Yaya Toure instead of "someone people had heard of, like John Terry", and I laughed at that again, in this, the year of our Lord Two Thousand and Fourteen.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Eric Cantonese posted:

From what the Twitter experts say, it looks like Man-U is passive-aggressively trying to make Moyes' situation as intolerable as possible without actually sacking him in an effort to avoid paying out on the 6 year contract they gave him.

If "hiring Dennis Wise and letting him sign players off Youtube" is acceptable in court as Constructive Dismissal, I'm pretty sure that leaking to the press that you'd been fired so that you'd resign (why would you even resign if you'd already been fired?) would be pretty nailed on.

I'd be amazed if there was much truth in it.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Hoops posted:

In football, whats the difference?

Don't be pedantic about it. A City or a Chelsea manager coming in is going to be expected to win trophies. Even Mourinho, if he doesn't win anything in the next couple of years is pretty likely to be shown the door. Chelsea managers can also be fired for "not defending a trophy"; "being fat and Spanish"; and "promoting the youth team at the expense of Frank Lampard".

There was no real obligation on Moyes to win anything this year, and more than likely the next couple of years as well. That's some way removed from looking physically incapable of managing a football club.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

You thought he was a good choice to manage united lol

Who do you think should manage Manchester United FC, Pissflaps?

ayb posted:

Honestly, I bet at this point the board is trying to shore up a replacement for the rest of the season. Giggs would probably want the job on a permanent basis which the board won't commit to right now.

I can't see Giggs being that far up his own arse. It's United, not Spurs.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Jose posted:

Its funny how quickly its turned to players signing for Man Utd because of the money and nothing else though

That's probably not true either, but people are busy trying to convince themselves that United are the new Leeds and why would any manager even want to take the top job at one of the most famous and prestigious clubs in the world?

Even if it were the case, it wouldn't matter that much unless the money ran out.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Robert Martinez

Hmm, I'd take it. Yes, in large part just to upset Everton fans, but that's almost like a trophy in and of itself.

Pissflaps posted:

The problem is getting United fans to understand that their club of choice is literally like any other. The only thing that marked them out as 'special' was having the once-in-a-generation talent of Alex Ferguson fall in their lap at the beginning of the Sky money.

I think they're slowly coming round though.

I'm glad you've come around to the belief that football started in 1992 and was invented by Clayton Blackmore. It's been a long time coming.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Jose posted:

£260k a week offered to Kroos when he's already at Bayern lol

I heard Januzaj was going to give up 5% of his salary to fund this, though

Was better with gifs

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

I think you'll find that all of my Official Jacket Preview Predictions have been shown to be correct to almost perfect accuracy

Especially whatever I said about Ian Holloway

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

DickEmery posted:

At least one of them will call him "dad" by mistake.

Not necessarily

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Strawman posted:

Will this still be the case for his successor? :allears:

I can't see why it wouldn't be, to be honest.

Like I say, if United hire van Gaal (or whoever) and there's no improvement, then a lot of blame is going to fall on the players. Beyond that, I don't think there'd be a great deal of pressure on him. He'd be expected to progress the squad, I'm not saying that finishing fourth forever is the goal, but the fans do recognise that United need to be bringing in new players and allowing the manager time to shape what he wants to do.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

britishbornandbread posted:

today is The Day lads

today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoOhnrjdYOc

Hoping we can get Ramsey in this summer, though.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

The press over here would slaughter van Gaal. It would be amazing.

Ferguson actively baited them for twenty years and they could never touch him. I think most newspapers are smart enough to realise that United fans are smarmy, superior and at least 20% of their readership.

irlZaphod posted:

David Moyes was picked because he's Scottish, as far as we know.

People say this, but it's never been true. He was picked because they wanted someone who was respected in football, an old-school manager with huge Premier League experience who would be willing to commit to the club for the long-term. You can absolutely turn around and say that that's a stupid idea, or even take the Dave Kits Secret Footballer position that Ferguson was actually picking a bad man to make himself look good, but he wasn't picked because he's Scottish.

I've mentioned this before, but I have a Spurs mate who basically would poo poo on AVB every week by announcing that they'd have won if only they'd hired Moyes, but instead Levy went for some skinny-tie-wearing foreign myth.

blue footed boobie posted:

He just signed a new contract like a month ago.

Guardiola
Lippi
Sir Alf

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Paperhouse posted:

FLJ meant Alf Ramsey

You know me so well.

Seriously, though, if Klopp is committed to Dortmund, then van Gaal would be a very good appointment. I'd honestly expect Simeone to be available if a big club wanted him, just because Atletico aren't in a position to match the money they could pay, but he'd be a gamble right now.

Failing that, there's always Billy Davies.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

He has experience, but can you honestly say that it was relevant experience to follow Ferguson (keeping in mind that "replacing" him would probably be literally impossible). I'm not saying that they should have gone with Martinez or whoever, but I think in a way Ferguson unintentionally screwed the club by banking that Moyes could handle the kind of pressure which he had really never faced before. He would probably have been better off letting the board pick his successor, and taking a step back for several years. Showing up to matches with Mick Hucknall's melting waxwork from Madame Tussaud's was probably not helpful in any way.

All of that is a justifiable argument, but there are people who seem to believe (for real reals, not for play play), that Ferguson just picked a Scottish because he himself was also a Scottish. If you were going to choose a Premier League manager to take over, it was always going to be David Moyes.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

ZeeBoi posted:

What kind of contract does Fellaini have and how long until he gets the boot

I've heard it's one as a professional footballer and that he may be in breach

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Knoddus posted:

I can't believe that the United website has the sacking article looking like this, it's glorious

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2014/Apr/club-statement-on-david-moyes.aspx

highlights, july-april:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Stotty posted:

Queiroz is out of contract with the Iranian national team at the end of the World Cup I think.

I'm not really convinced he's that good as a manager in his own right. It seems like all Fergie's assistants have tried their hand at management with varying success, Kidd, McLaren, Queiroz, Meulensteen.

Maybe Mike Phelan will be brought back as the new manager, I mean he was basically running the team for Fergie anyway

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ited-reign.html

I can't believe that Queiroz was showing at 16/1, if they hired him I'd be genuinely convinced they'd lost the plot. As an Assistant Manager/Director of Football, I doubt there are many better people in the world, but that was enough to get him managerial work, up to and including literally being hired as manager of Real Madrid based on nothing more than being a good AM at United. And he was poo poo at it.

If he wanted the Dennis Wise role, even on good money, any club would be silly not to have him, but he's not the guy you want as manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Mickolution posted:

I love it. Saw this one earlier

But hadn't see in interior shot.

This is pretty nice, except for the stadium.

• Locked thread