Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

not not luvd posted:

I had no idea this had happened.

The few times I saw him play he actually looked more lost than Jozy. He was shockingly bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

pik_d posted:

Hurt himself diving?

Pig Climber more like Piggie Stomper.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Are Sunderland getting Europa next season? Since city won the cup

No, League Cup runner up doesn't get you in anymore if the team that won is in a position to already qualify for Europe.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

So it's 5th and 6th now?

And the Fair Play spot potentially which definitely won't be Sunderland since Wes Brown alone has like 3 red cards.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

not not luvd posted:

Source your quotes or shut up?

Lol, calm down son*

*You're not actually my son, sorry.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i cant believe valencia is your go to example when fernando loving torres exists

Especially when Ramsey is going to come back and be gash.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Taff posted:

In 2010 you were saying he could end up being the best player to ever play in the premiership

I saw it when looking for the jozy thread

Torres or Suarez, use some loving diction in your posts.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

not not luvd posted:

As fun as it is playing the Above It All poster, in what way are we not in an a bit of a crisis? It's been the same story for too many years FA Cup or no.

It's shocking to me that for a club with Arsenal's expectations they've bought about, what, one world class player in the past five plus years?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

not not luvd posted:

Fantastic youth set up
Fantastic facilities
60,000 stadium
All The Money

We're totally set and a huge amount of that is down to him. His legacy is how the club is run not just the teams he's built. We owe him a ridiculous amount and he's sacrificed a portion of his career I think.

Obligatory "do you get a trophy for this?"

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

Half his time as manager is more than a few painful years lol

Arsenal won 6 major trophies in the 9 years before Wenger took over as manager, 7 in his first 9 years as manager, and none in his 9 years since.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

not not luvd posted:

It's cool because football is completely unchanged since those days and there are no external factors and oh god why am I having this conversation

I'd make a list of the goofy clubs who have won major trophies since Arsenal last won one but I can't be arsed.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

Arsenal were literally the only ones to build a stadium in that time to be fair.

Arsene did a lot for the club, but it's gone on too long and it's all gotten a little sad for the last few years and that is going to tarnish his reputation obviously.

United did an 8k seat expansion in 2006 as well. It's not a full stadium but it's not like they stuck up a couple folding chairs.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

not not luvd posted:

And how many clubs have won things since? Money determines who wins stuff and we've spent less than literally every club around us by a factor of at least 5.

Birmingham
Spurs
Wigan
Pompey
Swansea

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ravel posted:

Liverpool as well.

I could have included United, City, and Chelsea as well but left them out for obvious reasons.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

not not luvd posted:

Would you honestly rather win the Carling Cup and get relegated / face relegation every single season than be Arsenal? It's like people are refusing to belief that chance is a factor here.

Chance of what?

Your club is impotent in the transfer market, hasn't made a serious push in Europe in 5 years, and hasn't won a trophy in a decade.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

It's not a decade!!!!

Wigan are coming back up and they're bringing the FA Cup with them.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

And this is why the FA cup is by no means in the bag for Wenger and the boys. Don't gently caress it up this time, you fuckers.

I hope Ramsey scores a Traore-esque OG.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ravel posted:

Dalglish's Liverpool have a lot more in common with Arsenal than those three who from 2006 have had much better squads than Arsenal.

Liverpool won the Champions League in 2005, it's a bit of a stretch to throw them in with Brum, Pompey, and Wigan.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ravel posted:

Dalglish's squad didn't. If City won the cup in 2005 you could list them too.

I think the crux of luvd's argument was "big club spending" and Liverpool were still spending big, it was just on utter dross.

Either way, I'm not going to drag this along any further, it's all a bit silly.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

Claiming that Arsenal can't compete financially is deluded.

Especially after they paid the 2nd highest fee ever for a player in the Premier League.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ravel posted:

In that same window City, Chelsea and Spurs spent like 250m combined.

So three other clubs paid double what Arsenal paid for one player and brought in multiple players instead, cool.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ravel posted:

That Arsenal aren't really competing financially by buying ONE player over both windows, even if that player is 40+m

They would have(should have) bought Higuain for about 35m but Wenger is a big dumb idiot.

Arsenal need to compete financially if they want to win poo poo, that's what I think is so frustrating for Arsenal fans. Spunking 20m on some good but not world class dude and buying three African boys from Ligue 2 isn't going to win you trophies.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jota posted:

Also because Napoli would have outbid them still

Better to be outbid than just give up on the transfer.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

I think time will spin his youth project into his 'vanity project' where he thought he new best and stuck at it way too long and cost Arsenal any chance of the league for a decade. When in fact it was more to do with the fact they had no loving money because they built a massive stadium and didnt hold out for the huge naming rights they could have got.

~*Ashburton Grove*~

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I really think Arsenal's failure to keep their top players was much more damaging than their lack of spending in the transfer market. I think all of the clubs around them were better able to hold onto their important players for longer.

Not to be pedantic and bring up this argument again but winning trophies helps you keep your better players.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Yeah but Everton were able to hold onto Distin, Fellaini, Cahill, Baines, Jagielka and Howard for longer and under more financial pressure. Villa were able to hold onto Milner for 2 quality seasons, and Young and Barry for a long time despite them getting linked to a host of clubs. Spurs kept Bale for 3 good seasons. Liverpool kept Gerrard, Carragher and Reina despite some awful ownership and some dark times. Even Newcastle got 2 and a half good seasons out of Cabaye.

I understand what you're trying to say but Distin, Cahill, Jagielka, Howard, Young(yes), Barry, Carragher, and maybe even Cabaye aren't top four side players. Clubs like Manchester United, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, and at this point probably Liverpool don't have "financial pressure" to sell players within the Premier League, much less to title rivals. Arsenal selling RVP to United was absolute loving madness, especially when they could have shunted him off to Juventus for similar money. A player like Bale is an exception to the rule, much like when United sold Ronaldo. It's ridiculous to turn down that kind of money for a player regardless of the financial state of a club.

Edit: Before all the Liverpool supporters get all tits up, Carragher was very very good at what he did for a long time but he's not the kind of player other clubs are champing at the bit to bring in. According to Fergie Manchester United never received a transfer bid for Paul Scholes either so take that as you will.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 10, 2014

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Baldo di Gregorio posted:

Now is not the time for weakness. *glances to the west for signs of Tony Montoya's return...*

I will do some massive, earth shaking lols if he starts posting again.

Like I won't even be mad if Liverpool win the title.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

when were newcastle successful

They won the Intertoto Cup!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheGoatFeeder posted:

Been out of the country all weekend (went to Munich, its awesome), don't suppose I missed anything of note (not involving the Liverpool - City game, i've been made aware of that)

Manchester United were given a 27 point bonus and are now running away with the League.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

tbp posted:

I'll only trust this if you've spoken to an Arsenal fan about it

I didn't read the post he quoted and just assumed he was talking about Arsenal.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Charlotte Hornets posted:

The 10 clubs with the longest-suffering fans

Rochdale AFC scores 66.12 on the Long Suffering Fans Index
Hartlepool United 64.72
Exeter City 64.08
Newport County 65.53
Colchester United (top in League One) 63.39
Southend United 63.12
Torquay United 62.96
Mansfield Town 62.90
Leyton Orient (top in London) 62.83
AFC Wimbledon 62.45

The 10 clubs whose fans have suffered the least

Manchester United 21.31
Liverpool 21.97
Arsenal 30.22
Chelsea 31.46
Tottenham Hotspur 32.44
Aston Villa 37.11
Leeds United 37.75
Everton 39.28
Manchester City 40.57
Newcastle United 41.27

Longest-suffering fans in each division

Premiership

Stoke City (Fan Suffering Index: 54.72; national rank: 43)
Championship

Bournemouth FC (Fan Suffering Index: 60.26; national rank: 23)
League One

Colchester FC (Fan Suffering Index: 63.39; national rank: 5)
League Two

Rochdale AFC (Fan Suffering Index: 66.12; national rank: 1)

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...campaign=buffer

Shut Up

Shut Up

Shut Up

Shut Up

Shut Up

Shut Up

Shut Up

Shut Up

Shut Up

Shut Up

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sassassin posted:

Very generous understatement, this.

The only reason he's getting games is because the alternative is Jozy

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

8raz posted:

If true...wow...major respect for Evra.

Not sure I could ever summon the dignity that requires.

Really?

You're filling out a loving form.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Psybro posted:

The last 24 hours has merely demonstrated why I would rather ride the Moyes Express all the way to derbies with Chorley FC rather than United spend one minute under the management of José Mourinho, the super genius megamanager who lost to literally Sunderland in 2014 because of a wide-ranging conspiracy of obese officials.

Source your quotes.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ravel posted:

Apparently first player in the post war era to win the league with three different clubs.

Ah yes, post-Desert Storm.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Eric Cantonese posted:

Kenny Cooper would be a good addition to their squad.

He's coming home.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Manchester United shares rose by $1.06 today after they sacked Moyes lol.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Modus Trollens posted:

RB is the shittest position on the pitch

if you were taller and stronger you'd be a CB
if you could use your left foot you'd be a LB
if you could pass better you'd be a CM
if you were faster you'd be a Winger
if you could finish you'd be a striker

flawless logic

Spot on my son.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

JFairfax posted:

Hasn't it been clear from the off that RVP didn't like the Moyes

Yeah, it was pretty much immediate iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TelekineticBear! posted:

Bit harsh mate, he has a disease after all

No, United have excised the Moyes.

• Locked thread