Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cheekio posted:

I live in Massachusetts, and I'd rather Republicans not take the Senate. Is there anything I can do? Are there nearby races that are close?

If you feel like taking a trip to New Hampshire I know of a truck you could steal that would cripple one republican's campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Someone mind posting the line from the dissent for those of us without photographic memories of every Supreme Court decision ever.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Oh seriously gently caress off. We are less than 48 hours out from the latest spree shooting and you are in here :supaburn: MA GUNS! :supaburn:

No but see without the second amendment his child will inherit a hell somehow worse than the one the Republicans are currently constructing.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Grognan posted:

Perhaps we frame it as working class(most people), professional class(medical professional and other high-end income) and investment class(actually derives notable proportion from owning things alone) for a more accurate view of things?

We can refine the system further. We can combine the first two into a larger group of people who perform labor as opposed to the ownership class. We'll need snazzier terms of course, perhaps something from French or Latin.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

Now, I hope you understand that I'm saying this as a gun owning democrat (that loves the poo poo out of trap shooting), but really shut the gently caress up about the god drat second amendment.

I'm sorry but clearly this hunk of metal that propels smaller hunks of metal at high speed is more important than economic prosperity or sane government in general :smug:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Anyone else disappointed that the Holder hearing didn't devolve into "hey I'm not your buddy pal"?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

SedanChair posted:

But criticisms that he was inarticulate...don't really hold up.

in·ar·tic·u·late
adjective
unable to speak distinctly or express oneself clearly.

http://youtu.be/Be6tunbRcs8

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

SedanChair posted:

I have more. Remember when he compared his bowling to the Special Olympics? Or when he switched the names of the posthumous and living Medal of Honor recipients? Ouch. I think either one of those would have stuck to Bush a little better.

There's a pretty big difference between mixing up names and being unable to string a sentence together.

e: I'll drop this if you can link one Bush speech of a few minutes length that can be qualified as good.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Fojar38 posted:

I refuse to defend the Iraq War but I think you'd have to be pretty ballsy to argue that removing Saddam Hussein from power wasn't an objectively good thing.

Well yes though really I think the debate is was post-Saddam Iraq worse than before, which to be honest is an apples to oranges thing because misery isn't quantifiable.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Swan Oat posted:

The amount of views this video has is precious.

I hope the Koch krew look at how all the reference links to the video are from SA and send a paid hack to come shill on the forums.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

Speaking of Harry Reid.

He's fused with Denis Kucinich?:confused:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Bhaal posted:

Kind of like "corporations are people"--god I need a shower after defending this--pretty sure his message was "corporations aren't some scary monolith, they are in fact comprised of and run by ordinary people" instead of the "A corporation === A legal human personhood" angle.

If you watch the video of it this is what he meant to say and what he tries to say he meant after the crowd boos him. The crowd then insists that corporations profits are going into the pockets of the rich like him which he then declares as making his point.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Cool Bear posted:

Destroying the national bank sounds extremely helpful to me. I work in finance irl

It really wasn't. The early bank had some serious issues but by the time Jackson killed it, the bank was doing well. It had stabilized the currency and was giving a nice boost to the process of industrialization throughout the northern US, Jackson's veto of its charter sent the country into a economic panic/depression.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

The last pot-legalization measure to come up in California seemed like it was really cynically pitched to alleviate the state's budget problems in the middle of a cash crunch, and I didn't buy those claims. If it came up again though, I would definitely vote to legalize.

It was also pushed in the 2010 midterm republican wave election, ensuring its failure due to lovely youth turnout. I think they're trying again this midterm :downs:.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Does Bill Kristol just do LSD all day and hurriedly write down what little he can remember when an article is due?

Because I can't think of another process that would result in being as wrong as he is.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

IMJack posted:

Find a wedge to drive between the Catholics and Evangelicals while we're at it.

Already did, its the pope and/or indulgences.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zoux posted:

And that's the bottom line because Stone Cold says so.

While Stone Cold is awesome in this his, co-host I guess, is pretty dumb.

"Government can't tell me how many dogs I can own!" :smugdog:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

Ted Cruz and Mike Lee went shopping for stuff to put in Cruz's Houston office today.

Oh good I was starting to get worried that Lee might have grown a spine and become independent of Cruz.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Bush is smart, guys. I know you think you're smarter than him but you plumb loving are not. If any of you were on CNN for eight minutes you'd produce enough gaffes to basically demand seppuku. Bush was up there for eight years. And he's a Bush, come on. HW had plenty of gaffes and nobody called him stupid.

If we're calling him incompetent I'd certainly agree with that.

Just what is your definition of smart then? You're apparently setting the bar at anyone without a crippling fear of public speaking.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

SedanChair posted:

George W. Bush is smarter than you

Read the whole thing and try to suppress your feelings of incredulity. Try also to suppress justifications about how this guy must have an agenda.

Okay that doesn't answer my question of how you, SedanChair, define intelligence so that the rest of us can understand your reasoning for labeling Bush as being intelligent, which is really the crux of this whole argument other than arguing whose gaffes are dumber.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

Looking forward to seeing you interviewed by Wolf Blitzer as the Internet Activist who caught Ted Cruz breaking the law. :allears:

And we're here with forums poster reidrans.... Wait, I'm getting breaking news, flight 370 is still missing!

:wow:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ufarn posted:

Duckgate, best gate:

It's "wanton" that makes it art.

Read the rest here.

The first article on this has the most amazing title.

Sometimes a State Representative Just Has to Mow Down Half a Dozen Ducks

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

He was losing by double digits to jerry brown in public polling and dropped out to run for lt. Governor.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

mooyashi posted:

If you follow US politics you can't waste time measuring more than two ingredients. Two ounces of gin over ice, top with tonic water.

That's far too many, for American politics drink straight out of the bottle until the pain goes away.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

SedanChair posted:

My what a catalog of hatred you've assembled. Who in the end is the most repugnant, obsessive goon?

I can't speak for his list but I'd think you're pretty high up in the running.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

So at what point does the Nevada National Guard roll in and start disarming and removing these chucklefucks?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Hell couldn't they just drop canisters of tear gas on them from drones or shoot them with that bigass microwave tank we have from afar?

Dispersing these idiots non-lethally with drones would be the highlight of this loving year. :allears:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

Speaking of Californians, Senator Barbara Boxer just tried to make a hip-hop joke on the Senate floor.

Personally, I think this could be solved by taxing the Cash Money Millionaires at a higher rate.

Can we just have Boxer have two votes in the senate and fire Feinstein out of a cannon?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Radish posted:

Boxer just supported this so I'd rather not.

Ughhhhhhh gently caress those two.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Is "his vein blew" as horrifying as I think it is :stare:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

comes along bort posted:

It just means the needle went through the wall in two places. lovely nurses do it all the time.

So Oklahoma cheaped out on every step of this execution then?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Isn't Louisiana the one with the prison that re-instituted cotton picking for slaves I mean prisoners.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Triskelli posted:

Yeah, I was able to get my conservative leaning roommate to agree that he wants feudalism back so he can be as wealthy as he wants and keep everyone the gently caress out.

I have to get out of this loving country

I've got some bad news for you then. Shitheads exist everywhere.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Telesphorus posted:

It's weird how the average person carries on like nothing is happening when the country is in a state of.... I dunno, slow oligarchic takeover or something. Facebook is still dog pictures and happy statuses; the workplace is hush-hush. Ugh, it's almost a curse to want to read about politics right now. It is so painful and depressing.

Eh it's not really weird. To put it in less nuance than I would like, the people most affected are the ones least able to learn/grasp how broken it is let alone how to address the issues.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

quote:

In the video he complained of an "increasingly deteriorating situation" in the camps, due to "a bunch of hotheads" whom he thought weren't stable enough to carry out the armed struggle against the United States government

Other than wanting to avoid bloodshed is there a single sane reason that these idiots haven't been declared to be in rebellion against the government and removed?

Ideally to one of those FEMA camps they crow about.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

Two-thirds, 67 votes. Even if they win both houses they will not get that many. No Democrats would vote to convict and like Joe said, even if Republicans won EVERY Senate seat up for reelection (they won't), they'd still be one vote short.

And the GOP KNOWS this. They aren't unaware that any attempt to remove Obama from office will fail. They're just throwing red meat to their base.

The timeline I see is that that start an investigation after the midterms that lasts right up until before the conventions in 2016. Then they launch an impeachment attempt that fails while still sandbagging Hilary somewhat while firing up their base. This allows Jeb to win the presidency at which point I kill myself rather than relive 2001-2007. :shepicide:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Job Truniht posted:

There were a hell of a lot of voters who didn't like his plan to privatize social security.

Well those voters for the most part are now dead/too senile to remember.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I wouldn't call Bush smart but he definitely wasn't the barely literate idiot he gets portrayed as. I'd describe him as being of moderate intelligence without any cleverness or ability to accurately judge those around him. I feel it's more accurate to label him as a very/the most incompetent president.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

cbservo posted:

Can we please get off the loving gunchat already. I'll take anything else.

Like SedanChair wouldn't be doing this with any other topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Anyone else wishing we could turn this thread into a prison for fishmech and sedanchar?

• Locked thread