Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

TheKennedys posted:

I went to Montessori for ten years (pre-k through 8th grade) and I'm about a oval office-hair from being an actual communist. IS OBAMA INDOCTRINATING OUR YOUTH (in 1983)??? I'm just asking questions!

The school I attended was Montessori-ish and had actual red armbands on May Day. One of the teachers left to join the shining path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

For being a poo poo posting castoff taken over by semi ironic Maoist third worldists there was a lot if quality educational posting in LF. There were threads covering water shortages and how policy influenced it, the under reported 2008 famine in SEA, modern farming and next generation farming techniques and how they intersected with existing interests and policy, and the "most evil company" thread was incredibly eye opening.

The best thread though was the leftist readings of movies, where they explained how Die Hard was actually a communist movie.

LF was a thing of beauty. By the time it got shuffled over to forums cancer it was being overrun with poo poo replacing funny and informative. But for a while there it was amazing

The Marxist readings of movies was some of the smartest, funniest poo poo I had seen in a long time. It was like finding the onion in the mid-90s. The worst part of how they killed LF was their deleting all the gold mined threads. Please tell me they exist somewhere as an archive?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

You know what else was a goon project? The #1 podcast on the iTunes store :smuggo:

This American life?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

I probably should have checked to see if TAL got the top spot back :\

What is the goon project?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

If you want to get really mad, find where Roberts quotes NAMUDNO quoting Katzenbach in Shelby Co., then go read the quote in NAMUDNO, then go read the quote in Katzenbach. It's basically a misrepresentation so stark that it would get you thrown out of law school for trying to pull.

Can you link for those of me who ain't smart enough to google that poo poo?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

Pretty sure that a group nicknamed the White Walkers can't be anything but the Tea Party.

Want to empty quote this, but for content:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Sorry to beat the dead bush, but this has always been my favorite bush monent.

http://youtu.be/kdimK1onR4o

You can be both smart and completely ignorant at the same time. It's just most people like that don't rise to positions where they can gently caress so many people's lives over.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Eh, I love ripping on conservatives as much as the next D&Der, but there's really nothing inconsistent in them defending his federal land bullshit and condemning his racism.

What's actually funny is the entire Daily Show assault on Hannity how he's all for police overreach and brutality on liberal protesters but crying about it in the case of Bundy. That's actual hypocrisy.

Daily Show video editor has to be the best job ever.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Great_Gerbil posted:

I feel like history will record Obama as a conciliatory figure in the cast of Lincoln. Now, whatever he accomplishes is largely up to 2014 and how well the ACA fares. He'll get credit for the largest overhaul of American healthcare since Johnson.

The next decade or so will determine how this period in history will be remembered overall. The GOP had continued to obstruct any progress for nearly 6 years now. It's been pointed out, but a lot of those obstructionists are coming from former Confederate strongholds.

In mainstream circles, the American south is rightly seen as holding American politics at a standstill throughout the 1850s and 1860s. It's really plausible they could get that blame again. Sans Civil War II because that ain't gonna happen.

Fake Edit: My point about "a racist" vs "racist" wasn't to make some scholarly esoteric point. "A racist" is used by people on the right to isolate a person from a set of beliefs.

Given the prewar stalemate, I don't get why the north didn't combine a few of the states together as a condition of readmission to neuter the south in the senate.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My Q-Face posted:

Just like paying everbody a minimum wage of $100,000.00 per hour is the logical outcome for any argument in favor of raising it.

The 2nd Amendment doesn't say anything about brandishing or carrying or creating a public panic, it's strictly about ownership.

I think the keep and bear portion of the amendment supports open carry.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Just wait til they get bored and pick them up on expired registration and back child support, then tack on felony weapons charges.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Which will still be restrained by shareholder protections. And even if the lawyer who drafted the charter was criminally incompetent and didn't include them, it would be trivially easy to win the lawsuit to force the price to be appropriate to market valuation in defense of shareholder interests.

This looks like something that would be litigated to the Supreme court.

Did anyone else catch the press conference? Cue fox reporter with the second question, "since his comments were private, isn't this a slippery slope?"
Silver, "nope. Gtfo."

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Don't sell the team at all. Reincorporate it as a non - profit with all proceeds going to children's sports leagues and facilities in the LA area.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Y-Hat posted:

I did not see a lifetime ban on Sterling coming. Props for Adam Silver on doing the right thing.

Is there any chance that they can take a page out of the Angels playbook and move to the Honda Center in Anaheim whole still calling themselves the Los Angeles Clippers? The Arena Football team that plays there is called the Los Angeles Kiss (because they're owned by the rock group), the Los Angeles Rams played in Anaheim for years before going to St. Louis, and the Angels are considering dropping the long-mocked "of Anaheim" from their official franchise name.

Yes, in response to racism, they should move the team to orange loving county.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Cheekio posted:

The youth movement for rebranding sociopathy as Libertarianism is so innocent it makes me cringe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8oP5NR6mr8

edit:innocence>innocent.

Where is that accent from? It's grating.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

This whole thing had to have been a fabulous opportunity for intel gathering on the types of people who would turn out to point guns at federal agents though.

Until we find out there's a small clause somewhere requiring the first to destroy records on gun investigations after six months.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Tharizdun posted:

Is his handle really @GOPLeader and not something like @RepCantor? That's amazingly hubristic.

Is the title "Leader" new? I can't remember it being used before Pelosi and spoken it always sounded vaguely orwellain to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

SedanChair posted:

You seem to realize this already, but your business experience is worthless when it comes to government. You've been propagandized by generations of Reaganite corporate raiders who benefit from the efficiency and infrastructure government provides, and now have made their fortunes so are happy to destroy the country just because it's fun to do and means lower taxes for them. There's nothing else to it, just psychos who you believe for some reason.

The public sector is one of the last bastions of organized labor. "Making it easier to fire government workers" is imo mostly just a way to gut unions. Same idea for the efficiency of privitization of government fucntions. The key efficiency is to hire non-union workers for lower wages and no benefits with a side benefit of being legally allowed to skim off the top.

• Locked thread