Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Professor Wayne posted:

In my old age, I've become less excited about video games. If something amazing comes out, I will buy it a year later on Steam for cheap, get around to it whenever, and play it in 15 minute bursts over a couple of months until I finally finish it. I'm installing this game before I leave for work, then playing it all weekend. The only thing that bums me out is that I will only be able to play it for the first time once. On my first Dark Souls character, I grabbed the zweihander at the beginning and smashed my way through the game. Is there anything like that I can grab early on?

If you're lucky and you pick the right starting gift, there's a chance that you can get something that's even bigger and smashier than the zwei right out of the gate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

HenryEx posted:

How do i boost my Item Discovery? I could really, really make use of that.

I have this one consumable coin for a temp boost, but that can't be it.

.... R-right?

It all comes from equipment now. For example, the hat the explorer starts with boosts item discovery.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just had the best bellbro kill. I got summoned to Luna. The gate was still up so I went up the ladder to wait for the host. When he got to the top of the ladder he saw me and immediately slid back down. So I did a plunging attack and took off 90% of his health with my +10 Large Club.

(the other 10% came from the exploding barrels right next to the ladder)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alkydere posted:

Infusion: Permanent, you go to the special blacksmith and permanently make your whatever a fire whatever. Or dark, or bleed or what have you.

Enchantment: You cast magic weapon on your weapon.

Also note that you can enchant infused melee weapons. When you enchant a weapon, it gives 50 base damage in the elemental category of the enchant, and also increases the weapon's elemental damage in that category by 30%. So if a weapon does 100 physical/100 lightning and you enchant it with gold pine resin, it will now do 100 physical/180 lightning.

Also I'm falling in love with the large club. S strength scaling is great, but the icing on the cake is that the 2-hand strong attack flattens other players long enough for me to do the Dikembe Mutombo emote while they recover, and that's what really matters.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I was just about to make a post bitching about Shrine of Amana, but then I discovered that Havel's Greatshield, when infused with magic, has 100% magic block :getin:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Holy poo poo how am I just now discovering that the ring of life protection can be repaired.

This changes everything.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Summoning Lucatiel is actually really helpful for the Smelter Demon now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Drakes posted:

Its actually the black phantom after the gargoyles :colbert:.

Except that guy doesn't show up for a few seconds, giving you a chance to clear out the dogs. The capra demon is on top of you before your brain has a chance to even process what's happening, and that's 90% of the challenge.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Calidus posted:

Smelter is the perfect example of kill it faster so you have dodge less. Two hand and Pine Resin!

Yeah, this. Smelter demon is like the Four Kings, but with only one of them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Baron O Beefdip posted:

I'm gonna make a Shrek lookalike and name it Emerald Herald.

Dude with bright green hair and mustache named Emerald Harold.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I always thought that Solaire was a little short to be Gwyn's firstborn. It's cooler that he's just a guy really obsessed with his sun to me that he gets exactly as far as you do without any bullshit (if you save him from a bug).

I always saw him as being like Herakles/Hercules.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Heavy Lobster posted:

Okay so I see IK/fork trotted out every time but be perfectly honest, what other parts of the game don't make geometrical sense? IK was pretty egregious, and as I stated earlier I never noticed the fork discrepancy at all, but this is one of the bigger arguments against DS2 and I'm amazed that people are letting two things ruin the entire game for them.

The elevator in Heide's Tower takes you down below sea level, and then when you enter No Man's Wharf you're above sea level, without having gone up by a noticeable amount. Also you can look back from Heide's and see the shrine in Majula, and it's a LOT farther away than that short little passage you took. But it's already established that the flow of time is convoluted, so why not the flow of space as well?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

The Rotten is Pharros!

I'm sure Pharros is in there somewhere.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Butt Ghost posted:

Is the leveling system rebalanced in this game? I just started playing today, and I'm already level 53. Either way, what's a good weapon to invest in as a STR build? The man-snake-thing's knife was super good to me in Dark Souls 1, and I'm curious if there is another strength-scaling weapon that you can hold onto forever. I already defeated the Pursuer, and I read that his Ultra Greatsword is a powerful weapon, but I have a feeling that it'll be outclassed in the long-run by another weapon.

Yes, levels are a lot cheaper in DS2. I was close to SL 150 by the time I beat the game. For a good strength weapon, the most reliable all-rounder is by far the plain ol' mace (buy it from Lenigrast), but if you want something bigger and smashier I suggest the large club (treasure in Lost Bastille).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I want to try a run with a character that focuses on dex and poison. What are some good items to prioritize in the early game? I guess the dagger from Mytha's soul is the earliest weapon with innate poison; is it any good? Also what bosses are immune to poison?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Three words:

Poison Ricard's Rapier

(it would be bleeding if more things were susceptible to bleed)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Control Volume posted:

In trying to figure out what sort of helm Heide knights wore, I stumbled across this thing

These doofy helmets are real things, that existed. All this time I just thought the ruin sentinel armor was just a From invention designed to be weird looking.

Henry VIII's helmet

(also if you check the credits, they list a medieval weaponry consultant)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Alright, here's a lore puzzle for you lore puzzlers out there: who does the Majula mansion belong to?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Iretep posted:

The skeleton who lives there?

Then who are the other skeletons in NG+ and onwards?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wrist Watch posted:

So I've gotten three out of the four great souls I've been told to get and finally got an ember for this smith. What's the general opinion on infusions? If I'm going for a "find the biggest weapons and smash faces with them" build with 33 str/20 dex should I bother infusing my +10 Greatsword with anything? Is it basically like how in DS1 splitting your damage was a bad idea generally because defenses applied twice?

I don't think split damage is nearly as bad as it was in DS1, but at the same time elemental infusions won't increase your damage quite as much as elemental ascension did in DS1, and if you're putting most of your points in strength, infusing will most likely be a damage loss.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

david... posted:

In the world of Dark Souls anybody of non-standard height is always evil.

What are your stats?

???

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm starting a new character as a lightning slinger. Right now I'm agonizing over which chime to upgrade. I currently have the starter chime, the archdrake chime from Felkin, and the idol's chime from Licia. At 30 faith (+1 from Licia's hood), the idol's chime gives me the most lightning damage despite its D scaling - but it also has terrible casting speed, I guess. What should I do?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kaldaris posted:

None of the Above.

The Priest's Chime acquirable in Lost Bastille is leaps and bounds better than any of those for lightening hucking.

Nahxela posted:

Yes, you should definitely go grab the Priest's Chime from Bastille (after Sentinels, under the Servant's bonfire, if I recall correctly)

I had a feeling it was going to be this, but I loving hate fighting the sentinels :sigh:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kaldaris posted:

You can actually go around them, just so you know ... !

If you beat the Pursuer and take his route to Lost Bastille, you can grab the antiquated key from the Tower Apart bonfire. (It's before you enter Lucatiel's tower.) From there, you can open a door near the first courtyard you came into from the Exile's Holding Cells, the path is pretty clear from there, but it does take you behind the Ruined Sentinels.

I know! But unfortunately you do need to fight the sentinels to get to the servant's quarters bonfire, which is my objective here.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Weapons degrading faster at 60 FPS might be one of the funniest things I've heard in a while.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Or you can just drop a small white summon sign, kill a few enemies for your host, and return to your world with everything at 100%.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I wouldn't say as often as normal summon signs, but I've never had to wait more than a minute or two. It's insanely useful, because it restores everything - spell casts, estus flasks, humanity, you name it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Big smashy weapons like the large club lose durability really fast too, because they hit loving everything, but fortunately they have the durability to deal with it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AndroidHub posted:

Maybe a little rare, but definitely not good, not anymore. They had much better damage at release on console, but now they are just bad, and have no scaling at all.

Anyways, I was doing some bell/red orb invasions earlier tonight with this fine lady-

I actually got a few friend requests and messages about how much people liked it. The armor was a bitch and a half though and pumped an extra 250k into my SM, I exhausted all 50 of the spawns in the kings gate to just to get everything but the legs, luckily a friend in my range had some they had no interest in using. It would probably be really good armor if it didn't use twinkling to upgrade, mostly because of how light it is. I also tried to get some blue invasions, but there are absolutely no bites at 900k~ SM unfortunately.

Wow, that helmet really cuts off circulation, huh?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

It used to be you could ascetic the black gulch bonfire and get a second from the giants there, now you can't.

I recommend just going for it with four souls, Killing the Ancient Dragon to make Vendrick easier is like cutting down the entire rainforest so you can more easily access one tree.

I had zero problems against Vendrick with only a single soul in my inventory and I'm always surprised to see people say you need 4-5 to beat him. Of course I was rocking a +10 mace with 50 strength and some weapon buffs at the time, so I don't know.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So Jugo is still a desert, then. Just a desert full of Scottish people.

It's not a scottish accent it's a (some obscure town in northern england) accent, god don't you know anything.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

turtlecrunch posted:

Weird Corpse Committee checking in with our Monday report:

Draw me like one of your French corpses.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

it took me forever to figure out why I was suddenly exploding in No Man's Wharf the first time through. :(

For me it was "what are these vikings throwing at me? I'd better light my torch so I can s-:supaburn:"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

I thought people might have been exaggerating but this guy in the wheelchair seriously can't go more than 2 sentences without saying the word "dark".

How does he get around in that wheelchair anyway? I don't see any handicap accessible ramps in Drangleic.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Being a dark diver, does that make him the opposite of a holy diver? :regd10:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

All of you arguing about the story of DS2 are completely missing it. It's actually very simple. It's the story all about how your life gets flipped, and turned upside down, and you eventually become the monarch of a place called Drangleic.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

scamtank posted:

The spearmen are piles and piles of bullshit, though. YOU ARE SWINGING THAT SHIELD ABOVE YOUR HEAD IT DOES NOT PROTECT YOU NOW

The best part is when you try to guard break them and accidentally just do a regular attack and get a face full of spear.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Even though I'm able to run through it in less than a minute, and poison is cured by an easily farmed material, my thought process running through Black Gulch is still "Oh gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress oh jesus I'm poisoned aaaaaa"

I'm gonna make a mod that plays the Sonic drowning music when you get poisoned.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I hope the DLC adds a new ratbro area(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thwack! posted:

I got a few questions about fire weapons. What kind of stats should I focus on when using a couple of Fire Caestus, and if I already have the Flame Weapon spell, would it be pointless to infuse fire to a weapon? Thanks!

Flame weapon (and other elemental buff spells) increases the weapon's fire damage by 50 and then increases the total fire damage by 30%, so using it on a fire infused weapon can be really powerful. But like others said, infusing a caestus is a bad idea because the main advantage of the caestus is its great scaling. If you want to focus on fire damage, get a weapon that has innate fire damage, like black knight weapons, infuse it with fire, and use flame weapon.