Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

QuantumButler posted:

People paranoid about VAC should keep in mind that it's probable VAC has been in all along, right from the start, and the store page was just in error

It wasn't. The VAC modules were not loaded.

Also, Valve has hit people for using graphics mods before and not reversed it, though that was long ago admittedly.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

QuantumButler posted:

Ah well, okay then, I didn't know.

Still, if you played with the tool since the patch, not realizing, that would be enough to flag you, assuming it was banworthy, no?

Supposedly. No one really knows except Valve themselves.

So, you may as well test the waters. I'm taking a risk myself by using x360ce, even though a Valve mod did claim it won't trip it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If you did that before the patch, you're fine. If you did it after, and you didn't kill your internet connection, smart money says you had better play a lot now before VAC comes for you.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I thought I saw a screenshot of a program that tests the name censorship. Can anyone point me to it?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh, that's cruel. It counts as a sin when you complete Creighton and Pate's storyline when one of them dies, so it's impossible to have a full-power Lost Sinner's Sword and have everything... well, OK, unless you get someone to drop you their stuff.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

neetengie posted:

Really? I was wondering if that's the case after I killed Creighton for those sweet, sweet gauntlets. That really sucks for my character then - I even have the Sinner's Sword fully upgraded for it! :(

Yup. Apparently if either of them dies )which is obviously guaranteed), you get a sin even if you didn't touch them.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gus Hobbleton posted:

Get a blue sentinal to invade you and kill you. Apparently that lowers your sin.

You can't be targeted by the Blue Eye Orb unless your sin is 10 or above. Therefore, there is no way to lower sin below 9 once you have it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Lori posted:

The PvP is the main reason I'm hating poison. Someone can deal next to no damage with their actual attacks, but the poison will do all of their work for them while they run away from me and it turns into this dumb game of cat and mouse on a timelimit. That and the Pyromancy / Sorcery that inflict it (or toxic) are annoying as hell.

Eh, this isn't so bad. Try somebody with a poison whip until they get it to stick, and then they switch to an actual weapon.

It's kind of boring to fight against, honestly.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Are there leaderboards for Blue Sentinels and Brotherhood of Blood? I thought both they and Covenant of Champions had leaderboards.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Foxhound posted:

Does anyone know why Gavlan says "Gavlan wheel" by the way? Is it some accent thing I'm missing or some interpretation of "wheel" that has just flown over my head?

Look up the phrase "wheel and deal".

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That was interesting.

Invaded the world of an infinite HP guilty. I jumped to a narrow ledge, and the fellow actually followed me. Except there was no room for him, so he plummeted to his demise.

EDIT: I just got the guy's gimmick. Invincible Dante from DMC cosplay. I guess that's original?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 2, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Kimmalah posted:

Well it's also been out long enough that a lot of people are probably either respeccing or or starting new characters. I don't know why that seems so weird?

It's actually because magic is extremely powerful in this game.

When you're a hexer, you have access to three types of magical damage. Great Resonant Soul alone will rip off over 1200 HP in one go no sweat. They resist Dark? No problem, you can also cast Wrath of God.

Well, unless they have Great Magic Barrier, but not everyone does.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Once you're in the mid-game. I reached Belfry Luna and it's been nothing but Magic Arrow, Greater Magic Arrow, Heavy Greater Hyper Super Magic Arrow, Magic Arrow with Mustard, Magic Arrow with Ketchup...

Well, there's also the problem of lag. This thread alone is abound with stories of hits registering several seconds after the animation, et cetera et cetera.

Projectiles are easily the worst culprits of that.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

RBA Starblade posted:

e: What's that armor Captain Onion's wearing?

It's one of the Throne duo's.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What is with people invading in King's Passage with invisible weapons?

Two times in a row, one with Washing Pole and one with Moonlight Greatsword. Sheesh. I didn't think a no bonfire run would be that simple.

As an aside, grinding for lewellyn Armor is driving me mad. I have three copies of the chest.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Reason posted:

I thought that the whole point of VAC was to discourage people from cheating in all Steam games? Why should people who are VAC banned get to play DS2 online with all the non-cheaters?

Older VAC (and maybe newer) could flag you simply for happening to have a debugger open and running on another game. In other to mod the game or develop tools for it.

You are making a mistake if you think VAC is even remotely perfect and won't ban you for completely innocent stuff. There is a reason people are terrified of using GeDoSaTo.

This is not even counting the fact that VAC is supposed to apply on a per-game engine basis.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 4, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There absolutely isn't, which is why VAC on Dark Souls 2 is absolutely worthless as a preventative measure.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Enjoy getting VAC banned and coming here to whine about it I guess.

Anyone who edits their save while not connected to Steam is not going to be touched, at least not by Valve (From adding in basic save sanity checking is another story). That is why VAC alone is useless against the dudes who ruin other people's Soul Memory, which is really the most pressing issue.

Unless of course they are completely stupid and do their character editing while online with VAC on. So I guess it'll weed out total imbeciles.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Mystic Mongol posted:

What the hell, I volunteer. I'll make some numbers changes, and we'll see how long it takes Valve to catch on to my bullshit. I've already got a VAC infraction on my account, I might as well do something to deserve it.

Just turn off CE (or your tool of choice) after you're done, exit the game, turn the game back on, and then turn your connection and Stea online mode back on (that's what I mean by "offline").

They really have no way to tell at that point. All they have to go on is the save, and if the save is loading, how are Valve going to know? Hence why From needs save sanity checks.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 4, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Mystic Mongol posted:

So, if there's any cheat detection running on Dark Souls II at all, I should be banned pretty quick. After all, that's a 130 level gap, plus max equipment, stats at a level literally impossible at that SM, and I've played online at a SM 2.4 million higher than I just played now, which should set off some kind of red flag or other. I'll check in once every two days or so and see how it goes.

:siren: Disclaimer: I won't actually continue to haunt multiplayer with this character. I suppose that means that leader-board-based cheat checking won't detect me? But I'm not willing to cheat in a few hundred matches just to see if anyone notices, four fights was already pushing it. Those poor, poor phantoms.

You're crazy. That is all.

Also, as far as I know the only leaderboards are Covenant of Champions. FROM also probably won't notice if your SM + SL combination is actually possible. Main way they'll catch people is if they have an invalid combination.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

From what I gather VAC (at least modern VAC) bans based on signatures from cheat programs. It probably recognizes popular overlays and shader injectors already, and I can't imagine that anyone using Cheat Engine while online is going to stay unbanned for long if VAC is actually enabled on Dark Souls.

That's not all of it, obviously, or somebody could just edit a program slightly and bypass it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I point out that the entire Black Iron Tarkus set is in the game.

Though I'm not sure if the game will let you fully enter in Black Iron Tarkus as a name. Could just do Iron Tarkus.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Am I missing something regarding the Firestorm vs. Darklurker split strategy? It seems to miss more than anything.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I don't believe this.

Killing Licia with the Crushed Eye Orb, never mind that it's described as a mission of righteous vengeance, earns you a sin point if I'm not mistaken.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

bef posted:

Does backing up a save file trigger VAC shutdown?

Nah. Unless your tool injects into the game and tells Dark Souls to write the save in two separate locations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Crigit posted:

Revenge and justice are not the same thing. No matter how much we try to justify still having the death penalty on the books.

I'm not sure this point holds up so well when you get sin for anyone dying in Creighton vs. Pate, even if you did nothing.

It's likely an oversight like that.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Just toss down the small soapstone.

You'll swim in stones for trading.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I have unfortunate and distressing news of great import to share.

The Barrel will not let you equip it on your character.

Please, a moment of silence while we contemplate what could have been.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Is it the weird armor with HP regen though?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh no, I'm talking about this:

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Barrel#.U2ctxvlNF8I

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The worst part of Lucatiel is that we can't get her magnificent hat without the stupid mask attached.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Or have spreading hollowness and instead instantly turn into green trolls when we die.

Funny you say that; they actually have that programmed in, but didn't do anything with it. Your body parts can be hollowed separately.

So, first death could have seen your legs get a bit hollow, then your arms while your legs get more hollowed, and finally your chest, then your face. And so on.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

BlackFrost posted:

Speaking of names, is there any way to change your name? I didn't realize it would be displaying my character's name and kinda want it to be a little less...lame.

You have to use Cheat Engine or a similar tool. I'd recommend doing it offline.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Bellbros seem to be none too bright.

I invaded the guilty at Belfry Luna, where I was assaulted by three successive gray phantoms. None of them seemed to grasp that I was there to kill the host.

I eventually wound up teaming with the host to kill grays until my timer ran out, because a case of the stupid that bad is probably a bigger sin than whatever he did.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Jamfrost posted:

Aww, I was hoping you killed him in the end.

He was running around as a torch post almost the whole time, slightly moving every time I looked until I caught on. It was like something out of a cartoon.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Wow. I just invaded someone trying to kill Straid. I wound up shooting the guilty one in the back, and Straid just bonks him on the head with his staff for the finish.

That was poetic.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Alan Smithee posted:

I hope you were a blue, that would be some precog poo poo

Indeed I was. I literally walked up to see him make the first shot at Straid with a Sunlight Bladed katana.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Katana thrusts are much wider than they look. I've been hit by them while standing almost perpendicular to the other party and a good bit away.

It's quite impressive. Not even Claymore stabs are that bad, and you'd think they would be on such a large sword.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Babyface Mingo posted:

Any news on the VAC issues?

Nope. It also seems random whether it affects people with VAC bans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Annath posted:

What precisely should I do with my Pursuers Ultra Greatsword?

I have 30 STR, 20 DEX, and 25 FTH at the moment.

Straight upgrades, or slap an infusion on there?

Each infusion basically upgrades the relevant stat by a percentage in some fashion.

There are some weapons where there is an "intended" infusion. Like, a sea of "25% upgrades" and suddenly on the Black Knight Greatsword Fire infusion is assigned a much better number.

Which honestly, to me, begs the question of why they even bothered with elemental infusions when there's obviously "intended" or "correct" paths.