Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mans posted:

Wait, is there some controversy about the graphics that i'm unaware of?

The preview videos demonstrated a dynamic lighting system that was not implemented in the actual release, due to how awful it ran on the current gen consoles. Some people are very mad about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
If anything the PC version's graphics are a slight upgrade from the console's, what with the resolution bump and sharper textures.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

So with liquid humanity gone in DS2, what affects item drop? Just rings/items? I'm kind of curious about how it works since it seems like they want to reduce farming as much as possible (what with the none respawning enemies and all).

Rings/equipment/consumables. Thing is though they didn't actually mitigate farming much at all. They definitely expect you to make use of bonfire ascetic system, and there are many armor sets that can only be farmed from NG+ enemies in this way, which necessitates the use of farming items. Rather than say farming phalanx slimes for souls, you'll be doing boss runs via the ascetics to rack up a big soul count.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Organs posted:

I'd like to know if the original Dark Souls will ever be updated to Steamworks, or if they're just going to leave that game to die.

I don't think there is much they could do that would be cost efficient, but then again the Demon's Souls servers are still up after years of planning to take them down.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Gazaar posted:

It has less (zero) to do with playerbase and more the matching being fundamentally broken in the first game. There are a lot of people around you in the PC version that you just don't really get to ever see or interact with.

Everything hinges on that one thing for this game as well. The real test is if two weeks after launch it still take more than 2 attempts to summon the same person. Then we'll know if they actually hosed it up or not.

Actually sheer volume of ghosts and messages in the tutorial area and majula will let us know if the connectivity works or not.

Judging by the console versions this won't be a problem. Connections rarely fail and when they do its often due to the host dying or the phantom being summoned by someone else. The more pressing issue will be the soul memory system and how it complicates the matchmaking.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RBA Starblade posted:

I've been keeping myself in the dark about DS2 except some mechanics, are whips worth using now? What did that other goon mean when he said you won't be blocking? Is rolling that much better now? I plan on going through the game with my usual rpg battlemage build (with the bonus of magic and pyromancy being one). Though, dark sorcery is in faith now isn't it?

There is a whip you can get early in, via trading a starting gift, that is quite strong. The other whips are marginally less useful. You'll be blocking, but shields overall have been nerfed a bit, specifically you won't be finding one with 100% block for a little while. Rolling is good, but you'll be wanting to invest in the stat that makes it better (adaptability). Hexes (dark sorcery) scale with both int and faith and require at least a bit of each to use.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Pr0phecy posted:

The 10 early access steam weapons, are they weapons that are only available now and are findable ingame, or are they items already ingame that you will get really early in the game?

In other words, are they exclusive content?

They're not exclusive and they're not particularly good either.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sex Robot posted:

Dickwraithing is bad for business. We're trying to diversify the audience here brah. People losing makes them feel bad and people who feel bad won't buy DLC.

Lol at your posting.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

P_R_Deltoid posted:

I think my game might be bugged. I can't see any summon signs when I restore humanity, but I see blood and messages everywhere. My Soul Memory is 74k and I am level 31 in No-Mans Wharf. Am I too high/low for this area? Is there another factor that could be preventing my being able to summon anyone?

You in the champion's covenant?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

P_R_Deltoid posted:

Yes, I wasn't sure what it did so I just joined up. I see the wiki also says something about making the game harder? Is that on passively, or is it only when using an Awestone?

Passively increases enemy hp and damage and doesn't allow you to summon anyone for help.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

P_R_Deltoid posted:

Wow. And it didn't say any of that crap when I signed up. I thought this game was annoying as gently caress because of this covenant. What a mistake trying to play blind and joining it was.

Yeah its a dick move.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ciaphas posted:

How far into the game will I need to get before I can buy a spell to enhance my caestuses and be a true Muscle Wizard? I just got into No Man's Wharf and I've met a Miracle vendor, but no sorceries, and said vendor didn't have any enchantments anyway. :(

Magic vendor on the docks of No-Mans sells one.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I never really used the name engraved ring on consoles, but now that I have buds I want to summon (and be summoned by) its pretty much the greatest thing ever. I haven't tried it yet but if it works with the red soapstone I'll be in love.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DoctorStrangelove posted:

How do I infuse my poo poo?

Give McDuff the dull ember.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Omniblivion posted:

Well... I gave the PC version a shot, and the controls blow so badly that I can't continue playing it. I'm currently in NG++ on my 2nd character on the PS3 version, but FROM is just terrible at ports to PC. I still haven't found a "Start" button on my keyboard- and having to right click to go back in menus, yikes.

I'm bummed because the frame rate is awesome and it looks great overall, the controls are just unmanageable and I'm not buying a controller for my PC.

Anyone else experiencing this? I think I read something last week about people having a workaround for the lovely controls on KB+M, but this thread is moving like my bowels after eating in-n-out

I've heard the default setup isn't too good, but you can fully remap all the keys.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Artix posted:

So what's the deal with No Man's Wharf? I got to what I presume is the end, but there was just an empty dock and the ship that should be there is still way off by the entrance to the cove. I already have access to the Old Bastille, but I was trying to go the other way and there's just...nothing there.

At the top of the level is a lever to pull to bring the ship to the dock.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ChaosArgate posted:

or shoot the bell with an arrow.

Whoa that works? That's awesome.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

TheQat posted:

Since sometime today I can see faded images of all the bonfires I don't have on the travel screen. Is that from the patch or from passing some point in the game?

Happens sometime around drangleic castle though I can never really tell what exactly triggers it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

dis astranagant posted:

There's this item on a body between the first 2 bonfires in the Earthen Peak that I haven't been able to figure out how to get. If you along toward the archer manikin it almost looks like you can jump to it but I've never managed to make it across.

Try falling

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cardiovorax posted:

I really do like the visual design of many of the areas in DS2. Majula feels really tranquil in a decayed way, which fits its theme perfectly. Getting into Heide for the first time and seeing the sea wash up against all the ruined towers is a real "whoa, that looks good" experience. Huntsman's Copse looks nicely creepy and diseased, I felt vaguely grimy all the time I was in the area. There's no real Anor Londo "whoa" moment yet, but I've seen only like half the areas in the game yet, so here's hoping.

On the other hand, there's just a lot of stuff that I think is really samey, basically unimportant and really just filler. The Bastille, Cardinal Tower and Earthen Peak are all the same kind of "featureless brickwork tunnel" design distinguished by nothing much except for a different colored lighting over them. I think the whole Harvest Valley could basically have been cut, it looks awful and there's nothing of value to be found there. Iron Keep has all the charm of a 90s era DOS game and No-Man's Wharf is basically just there as an alternate route to the Bastille if you can't beat Pursuer.

There's an area towards the very end that I felt was quite "whoa" but I dunno if anything can really compare to the first time seeing Anor Londo. To me, the jump in scope between Demon's souls and dark souls 1 was immense, where as ds2 has roughly the same scope. That sort of lessens the effect, even though I think that the areas in DS2 are overall very well crafted, if not fit together with the same care that DS1's were.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I went for 50 FTH and the Defender Greatsword and :aaaaa: holy poo poo I'm not even using Sunlight Spear and Im rocking poo poo left and right.

Better be lightning infused

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

WYA posted:

Whats the point of dual weilding if you just attack as slow and cant block?

If you alternate right and left attacks its actually faster. If you power stance you get more damage for the same amout of time spent attacking (at the cost of stamina). You can't block, but you can still parry with certain weapons in the offhand.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cowcaster posted:

Is it worth it to bonfire ascetic the gargoyles' fire and kill them for the gold serpent ring, considering I'd have to re-deal with the belltower chicanery?

I wouldn't say so. You can get the +1 ring from the vendor in IK after you spend some souls there.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Danith posted:

How come I can't fire the great arrows? I thought my bow was to small (was using the shortbow) but then I bought the dragonrider bow and I get the same thing. When I try to fire it he does the no ammo animation.

You need a greatbow. The alonne knights drop one.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Asehujiko posted:

will multiple flame quartz rings stack?

It won't even let you wear multiples of the same ring.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

poptart_fairy posted:

So, getting a bit annoyed with the constant cookie cutter PVP stuff, I'm trying another shield-less character - a pyromancer using the Imported set you start with, and a club (or equally primitive looking weapon) but I'm curious about fire scaling. Is the damage on pyromancies acceptable without buffing INT, or what? I really have no idea how to read these numbers. :downs:

They scale more with the level of your pyro flame than anything and will still hurt without stats.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

THE PWNER posted:

Yeah me either. I've heard they become really common in NG+ but are practically non-existant beforehand.

I dunno how I feel about it, the red eye orb was a big problem in DS1 due to SL matchmaking, but with soul memory match making a reusable invasion item would be fine.

It makes a certain amount of sense to me to do it that way, considering that there are other options for NG/low level pvp in the form of the bellkeepers and the rat cov. Keep the pvp enclosed in certain areas, and leave the general invasions for when people have their bearings. Plus invaders needed something on the line, and the consumable orbs fill that roll. The mistake IMO is not having the cracked orbs be sold until NG+. Their price, and the fact that the pool of players to be invaded is so much higher due to not having to be in human form, would still mitigate the invasions quite a bit until NG+ anyways.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Time_pants posted:

I found Darkdiver Grandahl in Black Gulch but he says I'm not ready to embrace the darkness or something. What gives? Why can't I join the covenant?

You gotta find him in two other places first shaded woods and drangleic

Brasseye posted:

what is the reward?

A ring that makes your weapon invisible.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Laughing Zealot posted:

Do you just get summoned to refill estust/refresh gear on a no bonfire run?

You could use the small soapstone, or just die.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Arthur Crackpot posted:

People who summon two white phantoms before summoning a Red Sign phantom deserve every bad thing that ever happens to them.

And people who attack Red Sign Phantoms while they're bowing deserve even worse.

You can cancel out of emotes now so its really a non issue.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Domattee posted:

Holy poo poo Darklurker. How the hell are you supposed to deal with this. One of them always hangs the gently caress back lobbing lasers or that bullshit darksuperdeathball at me while the other clings to me doing nothing but the AoE. I've almost run out of effigies on my vendors trying to kill this fucker.

Pyromancy. Other than that just learning the patterns and taking your time.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I dunno, it seems like a reasonable place to stop leveling and I've never felt outmatched because of it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Manatee Cannon posted:

There's no point to not leveling when you're being matched based on soul memory and not soul level.

I realize that, but its just my own preference to keep my dudes from leveling up too much, to preserve the build diversity or whatever.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Asehujiko posted:

Bellbros who just stand there while I fight the host and leap off the bridge when the host wins because they were expecting a free chunk:argh:

If they wanted a free chunk they would have fought the host with you.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

HMS Boromir posted:

Just found the blue sentinel covenant, but I can't seem to use the cracked orbs anywhere? I'm human, in the covenant and connected to the server but it won't let me use them anywhere, even in places I'm 100% sure are PvP areas. Am I missing something obvious?

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess I... can't invade in places where I've beaten the boss? Is that it?

You can't use the orbs in transitional areas. Places that are between fog doors basically. Maybe that was it?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Elman posted:

I play on PC and I've been having a lot of trouble finding matches with blue orbs or in any of the arenas. Red orbs seem to work fine, and coop or bell/ratbros work great though.

If you're not already, being in NG+ helps a lot with this. The requirement for players having sin is the bottleneck there, and its much more likely that they do in NG+.

HMS Boromir posted:

I dunno, I can't seem to use it anywhere in Heide's before the second bonfire or anywhere in the Forest, whereas it works immediately past the second Heide's bonfire (EDIT: Apparently technically the first bonfire of No Man's Wharf?) or in the Bastille, which is consistent with it not working in places where I've killed the boss.

Huh I dunno. Usually I just use them on the bridge leading up to the neo-ornstein fight. Blue orbs don't care about your location and will put you anywhere where it finds someone with sin so you don't actually have to move around areas like you do with the red orbs.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cowcaster posted:

Where's the earliest place to farm ascetics, and as spectacular as a +10 mace is will it still cut the mustard on ng+7? I really want that fantastic goat hat, but I haven't got a single overpowered sorcery to rely on.

The only place to really farm them is the dark chasm. Navlaan and Grandahl both sell a bunch though.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You're pretty much at the mercy of the host when you get pulled into their world as a grey phantom (this is the rat covenant's doing btw). You don't actually have to kill them to win, just make it to the fog door, so sometimes its best to just run. At any rate you don't lose anything by being summoned and you may win a pharros stone if you make it out. Its also only for the two rat cov areas.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Asehujiko posted:

What covenants do I need to get the "all sorceries/miracles/pyromancies/hexes" achievements? only Bell Keepers +2, Pilgrims of Dark +3 and the rest being sold in NG++? Or is there something else I've missed?

Heirs to the Sun +3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Metanaut posted:

Do I have to actually be in Belfry Luna to bellbro? Even when I'm wearing the ring, all that happens is I get invaded. Although I just beat the gargoyles, does that make any difference?

If you're trying to invade you want to be somewhere other than in Luna.