Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

I'm not sure if it's the wait after the initial console launch, the graphical downgrades or that so far the lore and story seems pretty inferior to DkS1 with imo TOO much fan service callbacks etc.

I've sort of gone from chomping at the bit to get it on launch, to planning to get it on payday, to probably getting it when it almost certainly ends up in the steam sale, to... "eh, I'll probably watch a Lets Play at some point".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Ay ay ay, what a mess :smith:

I was going to wait until steam sales because of the lighting engine thing. But after seeing VaatiVidya's comparison and reading about the little niggling things that are beginning to appear in abundance. Right now I'd go so far as to pirate it and send $60 to the guy who made DSFix.

fake edit : I'm not going to pirate it, despite this post I'll probably break and buy it within the month and develop the appropriate level of Stockholm Syndrome. Pirating is bad. Stay in school kids

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

AtrociousToaster posted:

Since you can't message people on steam without becoming friends first does that mean we don't get any fun hatemail and can't chat with jolly cooperation friends? :-(

Thats a major point actually.

Wow I never thought I'd be espousing a positive of GFWL.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Grilox posted:

Nevermind, figured it out. Everyone with a vac ban in any game on steam can't play Dark Souls 2 online apparently.

Haaaaaahahahahahaha

Oh god I need to go on gamefaqs or something, a lot of people are going to be slowly realising this now.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

For those interested Durante of DSFix fame has released the 0.1 alpha of GeDeSaTo the successor for DsKII.

Here's to hoping he cleans up after from soft as well as he did last time.

This is of course until Steam starts vac banning people who use it. Then the fun really begins.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Fooma posted:

drat this game looks nice with all the tweaks.

Best thing to come out of this thread so far. :allears:

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Jack Trades posted:

Why the hell is aspect ratio still locked at 16:9? Those black bars are getting really annoying.
DS2 was supposed to be a good PC port and Durante wrote in his pre-release "review" that PC version supports any resolution "supported by the system". What a bunch of bullshit.

The general gist I'm getting from most forums at the moment is anyone with any criticisms for Dark Souls II is a lying nerd. You lying nerd.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Well I've watched AlanSmithee's stream for a few hours now and I'm not sold. Which is a shame because I was so psyched pre console release. :smith:
I shall live vicariously through Alan and play Risk of Rain or something while I watch.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Sex Robot posted:

Ay ay ay, what a mess :smith:

I was going to wait until steam sales because of the lighting engine thing. But after seeing VaatiVidya's comparison and reading about the little niggling things that are beginning to appear in abundance. Right now I'd go so far as to pirate it and send $60 to the guy who made DSFix.

fake edit : I'm not going to pirate it, despite this post I'll probably break and buy it within the month and develop the appropriate level of Stockholm Syndrome. Pirating is bad. Stay in school kids

GOD loving DAMMIT I GOT HIGH AND BOUGHT IT.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

So after being goaded into buying this while high and getting poo poo on by people for being anything less than evangelical about the game I had some free hours, I might as well give it a go, earn an opinion on the game. It's not bad. It fixes a lot of the poo poo that pissed me off in Dark Souls. The graphics are nice enough. Sure they're better than the console version but if you're one of the 4 people who've been playing Dark Souls 1 with the High Res Textures mod the different isn't that huge, it's adequate for PC. I like the improved messaging system, put a WELCOME TO DARK SOULS message in the entrance to Majula is like cheat mode. I just finished No-Mans Wharf. After finally killing the boss my initial thought was "Have I done enough yet to warrant an opinion? I want to see the artifact update for Risk of Rain". The constant torch brackets and little beacon stands are a testament to the hamstrung lighting system which is amusing if nothing else. I at least have to give it up to From this time round, whereas last time the Demon Ruins was an ungodly mess this time they appear to have spread their cut poo poo much more thinly in the form of rooms with no point, peaks and hideaways that contain nothing etc etc. Inconsequential stuff which is certainly harmless. That's a plus I guess?

The open world feel from the other game is nowhere to be found. Everything is conveiently linked through claustrophobic towers and cliff faces. The areas don't blend and mix like they did before, they might as well have a "LEVEL START" flag at the beginning of areas. Yahtzee is pretty correct in that everything is dudes in armour. By Now in Dark Souls 1 I'd fought a demon that was 80% butt, a giant furby and giant ladybirds. You get the idea. The main draw for Dark Souls for me was always the plot and the characters that inhabited the world. Right now I couldn't even give you any of their names, let alone tell you who was who, I get the leveling dude, the blacksmith dude, if they were going to do that they could have just wrapped it up in one character who just chills around the Majula campfire instead of making me run around talking to people I don't care about.

I'll probably play it again when I've finished some other stuff, but in lieu of the story that tantalized me from the begining in DsK1 right now the main draw for me is (like DsK1) the tourism aspect. I want to go see cool places and admire the poo poo and for that I can probably wait until there's a trainer or something so I can just mince around with my binoculars out. That and of course when Kay Plays starts up again and I can watch her play. That was more fun than playing it ever was.

Footnote: For those who are wondering about my title. It's from the DsK1 thread where my deattachment from the game and apathetic cheating drove Genocyber into a :spergin: rage.

:10bux: worth of rage.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

RasputinVarez posted:

OK, I'm totally stuck and i can't work this part out at all so, could somebody just give me a hand on how to get past this part?

first, these things kill me, i can take one of them down but that's it

and if i manage to get passed them i run into this guy who kills me faster!

this game is loving impossible, i know it's meant to be hard but this is absurd, i don't even have a weapon and i'm either being gang banged by goblins or killed by cyclops monsters!

Thats because you're punching things that massively outnumber you that won't fight you if you leave them alone. And you've gone off of a side route that you don't really need to do yet until you at least have a weapon.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

RasputinVarez posted:

Well excuse me for not just cheating at the game like you do! I bet your "cutie mark" is this!

Actually VAC didn't touch Dark Souls 1, not to mention I never used it online. hth

Logan 5 posted:

So after having to redownload all of DS2 for some reason, this popped up before I got back to playing (yes I went with the best name):

But it didnt really seem to effect much of anything, still had all my (useless) preorder junk which is the only thing I can think of that would count as DLC at this point. Luckily I barely lost any progress either.

So many people are calling their characters PizzaLawyer420. I'm waiting for a run where PizzaLawyer420 and PizzaLawyer420 bro up with PizzaLawyer420 to defeat a boss.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Mazed posted:

Never be critical of anything ever.

Sex Robot fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 26, 2014

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

neetengie posted:

That's pretty understandable, the main thing that draws me towards Dark Souls 2 is the Hexes, and that's it really - everything else hasn't stuck to me. I could remember all the bosses of DeS and DaS1, but I blank out for most of the ones in this game unless they get mentioned in the thread. When I get my copy of Demon's Souls back from my friend I'll probably be playing that all day instead of this really. I'm waiting for more mods so I can change some of the stuff in the game, but if they're all texture it's gonna suck.

Do you mind linking to the page where Genocyber went :spergin: everywhere? I'd like to see that.

I'd have to say This one :rimshot:

But seriously, if you mean the one that got me a new avatar, I'm not sure because that was a biiig thread. I'll have look but no promises.

RasputinVarez posted:

You just admitted that you are a total scrublord who cheats at a multiplayer game, it's kind of like reading the end of a mystery book first, or looking up a movie on IMDB whilst in the theater. Sure you paid for it and you are free to do that, but it's kind of against the spirit of the activity. you should always finish the game once at least before cheating to see everything else, half the fun comes from the struggle to get through and being rewarded with knowledge. At least the LPer you mentioned isn't a camwhore with her tits out in the corner begging for donations like most female LPers who livestream.

You are a bad troll. Stop being a bad troll.

As for class? Depends. Sorcerer is still pretty much easy mode imo especially now that you can buff casting speed and there are several early on mobs that pose a considerable bump in the road for other classes that sorcerer can poo poo all over from 20ft away.

Sex Robot fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 26, 2014

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

RasputinVarez posted:

poo poo, Pre-Ordering bonuses

I don't like that, they kind of ruin game balance. I take it i get them on all my characters?

As far as I know, yes, but you can discard them. They're not actually exclusive people who didn't preorder them can buy them later in game.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Mazed posted:

At this point in time it almost feels like a running gag.

That said, Blighttown was better. The Gutter doesn't quite strike the same note of surreal, oppressive squalor. For the most part, it's a bunch of scaffolding in the dark, though parts do at least look like some kind of domicile. There's one exception: The cave with the gigantic motionless bug and the at-first inexplicable silhouettes of the gas beetles shambling towards you. :gonk:
I think that's the other thing that niggled me as someone who thoroughly spoiled the game before hand. There is making references to another game in the series and then there is DsK2. HEY DO YOU REMEMBER DARK SOULS 1? THAT WAS A GOOD GAME! LOOK HAVE MORE STUFF LIKE THAT? IT'S SIMILAR BUT DIFFERENT :iiam:

While I'm sure the Old Dragonslayer worked some people up into a frenzy when I saw it, it was more a... "really?"

Mazed posted:

On a note related to those areas (kinda): do people have major issues with the jumping in this game? I find the sprint+left stick to be MASSIVELY easier than the sprint+double roll. And yet, there's all those bloodstains of people bungling off a jump, and I've even tried, as a white phantom, demonstrating how to do it to get to certain things (like the Human Effigy on a ledge in the first 'courtyard' area of FoFG), only for them to fumble it.

That's what earned my This is Dark Souls achivement. Flinging myself off of the edge of the gap at the jumping tutorial :v: You're probably right and I will probably get used to it, but old habits die hard.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

I absolutely LOVE the little checkerboard of blood patches across Majula of people who blatantly Awoke pig death

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

tRIDAV posted:

Why are there enemies disappearing permanently? Can I get them back?

Burn a human effigy in a fire

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Finally bothered to try some of the online play, I've solo'd so far but laid down some white signs. MUCH smoother than DkS1. I'm not sure what triggers you completing you goal though. Is it HP damage done? Are mobs worth invisible goal points or something?

Also I finally got enough points in faith to have some miracles worth poo poo that wasn't a healing cast. Now My cleric feels like something more than "fat underarmoured fighter"

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

RBA Starblade posted:

It's either you meet a time limit or obtain a certain amount of souls, whichever comes first for the small stone, kill the boss for the large one.

See I thought that. But I got goal achieved pre-boss with a large sign too which i wasn't expecting. So I guess even the large sign has a limit too

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

So just for shits and giggles I was going to look at the "Pre-order" poo poo by making that license05.bin file. But there IS no DLC folder in the game files. Where it's supposed to be, did they actually bother to patch that?

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

OH. OH GOD IT'S HAPPENING. IT'S HAPPENING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulr20xC8NT0

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

It's kind of sad watching the game through the eyes of Kay. She was a great LPer in that she had the perfect mindset for the game but listening to her now, something tells me this is going to be a disappointing LP for her.

"Ooh torches! I wonder if I'll have to fight in the dark?!"

"Oh I wonder if you have to take fire from one bonfire to the next, that would be awesome"

"Why can't I jump attack, whats wrong with my controller?"

:smith:

She always notices poo poo that you miss. It's like those skeletons in the field at the beginning of the game where those goblin monkey things are. She saw the skeletons as a flag for "agressive trap thing" but there isn't there's no trap. There is literally no reason for those skeletons to be there.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah PvP in this game is awful. Being a dickwraith isn't any fun now. Even when you do get a fair fight, the hit detection in this game is so awful you'll get hit by poo poo you clearly dodge and you have no way to heal so it favors the host massively. And since everyone is a loving coward you can't use the environment to your advantage either.

EDIT: I mean I got hit by a sunlight spear that hit an enemy ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROOM. Come the gently caress on.

Dickwraithing is bad for business. We're trying to diversify the audience here brah. People losing makes them feel bad and people who feel bad won't buy DLC.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Pwnstar posted:

Soul memory is not a big deal! Lots of people do co-op and pvp so don't feel like you will run out of pals if you don't pursue OPTIMAL SOUL ACQUISITION

For the first month or so sure, but once the playerbase thins out to people who want to online regularly pickings are going to get slim fast.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

So today I found myself in a dark forest... for some reason. Full of fat assholes with moon shaped sword... for some reason. And had to fight spooky skeleton boss no.1 and spooky skeleton boss no.2 who are there for... no reason.

Jesus this is depressing.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Mazed posted:

Not just three skeletons! Three skeletons and all their whole skelly posse! You might even call it a...skeleton crew. :yohoho:

True story, I about doubled over laughing when the third phase of that fight started and the bonewheels rolled out.

Everything in Dark Souls was there for a justified reason. Every boss had a good reason for being there with foreshadowing an innate bindings to the world that you progressed through. Here stuff is where is it because

a) That's where is was is the last game hycuk!

b) Because that's where there was space.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

So I finally burned the gently caress out after the final great soul was just chilling on the floor behind a generic spider boss
I sort of got bored and went and infinite healthed the gargoyles, and gave myself 99 lockstones to see the cool poo poo they did. Now when I was just finishing the last Bastille I was unimpressed, but some goon said "After the Bastille is when it all kicks off!"
Poison World/Fire world pissed me off and I blinked and missed The Gutter.
So does it really super ultra kick off when you have got all the souls? Or are the best parts behind me?

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

DSauer posted:

I keep dropping my small white summoning stone before the second part of Iron Keep and dropping my host into the lava with the pressure plates after completing my duty. I can't stop, its become an obsession. I should feel bad, but when you summon a guy wearing a clown costume you really outta be expecting shenanigans.

Yeah, that makes 2 of us. Or pull the lever when they;re crossing the middle bit. They panic and hurl themselves into the lavs

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

SM murdered gimmick characters. In dark Souls 1 it was common to have chars dedicated to certain areas such as helping at certain bosses or invading certain areas.

The most fun I had in dark souls 1 was playing a faith build that ran around sen's naked armed with nothing but emit force, the hello carving and poo.

Sex Robot fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 4, 2014

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Is anyone else finding this game weirdly unbalanced. I know for a fact I have a fraction of the deaths I racked up Dark Souls 1. I somehow managed to get to get from the hole in Majula to the primal fire behind The Rotten in 4 deaths and I was actually shocked. I thought what turned out to be the rotten was another "mid branch boss"
It's safe to say that The Gutter is designed to be one of the latter 2 great souls you're supposed to get. Yet the gutter itself is so... empty. It's a bit of scaffolding in a black room with some generic hollows that hit a bit harder than their model would make you think. I actually ran around and lit nearly every sconce, convinced I was missing something crazy huge because at this point in the game poo poo isn't that simple.

But it was.

wtf game.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Doctor Zaius posted:

I've got cross-region play set to restricted and desync still seems way worse than it ever was in DS1.

Thats because the regions are "North America", "Japan" and "Everywhere else"

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

poptart_fairy posted:

Imagine if a player character with the Knight's shield could summon another, smaller, player. :haw:

Only if the pitch of the voice scales upwards with the smallness of the player.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

So I finally completed the game.

By accident.

And I first timed the end boss.

Just as the game was starting to feel a little more like Dark Souls as opposed to Knights Corridor Yawnfest, BAM game over. I have no idea why I won, what I won, why I care. When I finished Dark Souls. I watched the credits, and I instantly rolled a new characters because I felt I had so much more to get out of the world. This time all I felt was enui and cheated. I wouldn't shut up for ages about when I learned about the fate of Solaire or the first time I went into Anor Londo.

I don't even remember any of the NPCs names in Dark Souls 2. Here's hoping that this "Project Beast" that Miyazaki has supposedly been working on is something a little more elegant and a little less ham fisted.

What a shame :(

This sums it up pretty well
Spoilers Everywhere
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrgaZchJQVg

Sex Robot fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

It's something pretty unique to gamers where somebody reads "I dislike this game" and in their mind it translates to "gently caress you and your mother if you like this game", but whatever.

Zaphod42 posted:

They're like the same game. The difference isn't the game, its you. You've played so much DS1 you're better now and so DS2 was easier. There's nothing they can do about that aside from making DS2 objectively harder and turn off lots of customers. If more DS wasn't enough, then I'm sorry, but you should have expected that from a game called "Dark Souls TWO"

70% of the bosses were humanoids in armour. And pretty much 90% of those Humanoids in armour had Left Swing, Right Swing, Big Wind Up Overhead Strike and 3-4 swing flail fest. You get used to the rhythm pretty drat quickly. It's less about mechanical difficulty and just about how drat predictable it all was.

Zaphod42 posted:

As to NPC names, the NPCs are the loving same so you can't say they're worse. Lucatiel is Solaire, with just as much backstory if not more. Benhart of Jugo is Sigmeyer. Pate and Creighton are like Petrus and Rhea, but again, more developed, not less. Gavlaan is cooler than Frampt. Carhillion has the exact same attitude as Big Hat, although admittedly less story. Oh wait except there's also Navlaan who is way cooler. Cromwell IS Oswald. Licia is Lautrec.

Exactly, they're the same. The fact that most people describe the characters by who they resemble in the first game is a signifier of just how two dimensional and nondescript they are. Not to mention bar one or two all the characters on Dark Souls one had stories that came to closure albiet usually dark and sad ends. But closure nonetheless. Whereas pretty much all the ones you find in Dark Souls 2 just go and hang around in Majula looking awkward and that's it. Such a waste.

When I got to the Shrine of Amana I was excited! An Open area finally. Except it wasn't really open because it was raised pathways surrounded by sheer drops full of water.

When I got to The Dragon Airie I was amazed, it looked so cool! Except I blinked and it was over.

As the review says Dark Souls 2 is a GOOD GAME and worth playing. But it reeks of a dev team that is

a) Too scared to do anything really new from what Miyazaki had already created
b) Too incompetent to avoid rookie mistakes that have kept the game clunky