Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Somfin posted:

Has an ultra-rare-drop weapon ever been worth the trouble to get it in Dark Souls? (Apart from Black Knight equipment, but the first batch of those guys only lasted for one kill anyway)

Probably, else people wouldn't have spent so much time farming for things like the Balder Side Sword or Man Serpent Greatsword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Illegal Username posted:

Earned This is Dark Souls by punching a rat in front of the old ladies house

There were more.

:cripes:

Practice fighting small enemies on the pigs in Majula, when you get there.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Some of the bonfire intensity 2 and NG+ phantoms are in mean places. I like the exploding mummy phantom chilling under the water's surface in Sinner's Rise, right before the staircase that's clear on intensity 1.

Ariong posted:

Okay, so. I defeated the first boss and opened the door across the bridge over fire. However, I wasn't aware that smashing chests turns the stuff inside onto rubbish. I was doing it because I love smashing stuff. What was in there? Hopefully nothing important.

Depends on how important weak but constant healing for the cost of a ring slot is to you.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

neetengie posted:

So, if I ascetic the Sinner's Rise bonfire, will that include her two little helpers being included into the fray?

No, those only show up on a real NG+. Intensity 2 will add phantoms throughout the Rise, though. At least, on 360.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Cool, great, I died during my loving invincibility frames mid-backstab.

Pretty sure you don't have invincibility frames when backstabbing anymore.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

The enemies in dragon shrine are two shotting me and staggering me with every hit, so essentially they're one shots. Emerald Warden please come back I need to level up :saddowns:

EDIT: The worst part is I'm wasting tons of souls on life protect rings since i can't just go hollow to practice the area. That would mean risking 200k+ souls.

Bearer of the curse
Seek a good bow
Seek poison arrows
Lest you go insane trying to git gud

don't attack the ancient dragon

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

How much damage does the Ancient Dragon loving do?

All of it. It's technically survivable with enough fire resist, but you should go in assuming every blast is a one-hit-kill. Killing him is about trapping him in a loop of attacks that you find trivial to avoid.

He is the worst boss in the game.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Want to know how to completely cheese him? Use ascetics on the forked road shaded woods bonfire. Each time go into the misty woods and grab the Gower's Ring of protection. Equip it, and whenever he does the fire attack just turn your back. Use repair powder to fix the damage to the ring, and switch to another if it breaks.

I just stood between his back toes, he never did anything but try and step on me.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I think Darklurker is currently worse for me since I've killed the prick 3 times yet died to one last magic blast that he shot during his death animation.

I lucked out on Darklurker by having it split into a Chaos Firestorm, but at least he seemed like an actual fight until then. The whole Abyss thing of requiring human effigies to try again annoyed me a lot, and I can see it becoming a real pain if you're not as lucky as I was. We'll see how it goes when my other characters get that far.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Is the entirety of the Undead Purgatory area literally just the chariot boss and the covenant at the end?

that's it!!

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Artificer posted:

Is there anything that suggests what you want to infuse your armor and shields with? I'm guessing no, since I doubt defenses on shields/armor scale with your stats, and so it's basically what you want defenses against at the cost of being more vulnerable to everything else, right?

If you want to infuse a shield, find one that's like 90% block of an element and infuse it with that. Then you can have a 100% dark/magic/etc shield for whenever that'd be useful. I can imagine a shield with a decent physical block and 100% fire block being useful against, say, Smelter.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Artificer posted:

How much physical resistance do you tend to lose by doing something like infusing a 100% physical block shield with another element?

Like 10%, last I checked. Not a lot, if you're using a 100% elemental shield against elemental attacks.

Azuth0667 posted:

Plot stuff:

The entire journey was pointless and the cycle will always repeat? Also did Vendrick just decide to go comatose or was there something that happened?

Vendrick hollowed, hiding from Nashandra. For whatever reason, he didn't want the Throne of Want, and locked himself away in the Crypt. Without souls, he eventually hollowed, since that's what undead do.

And yeah, the cycle will probably keep going, as it always has.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Nashandra advised king vendrick that the giants were a threat, when vendrick went over to slaughter them all he discovered the soul arts (hence the golems that are powered by souls at drangleic castle), but this somehow led to being afflicted by the undead curse? So he basically hollowed and became that thing.

What I don't get is why a hollowed 'vendrick' is walking around while what is clearly the king's corpse is on the ground.

He took his clothes off. That's just a pile of armor.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Gus Hobbleton posted:

I don't think Vendrick is THE chosen undead, but another iteration of the chosen undead, and is as much the chosen undead as you are. With everything being cyclic, this game takes place in both the past and the future of Dark Souls 1.

I think there's too much creation myth in DS1 for it to be anything but the actual start of the cycle. That's some purestrain lovely fantasy mythology in the opening.

Gwyndolin and Frampt came up with the "chosen undead" to get another body in the Kiln, and as important as that undead ends up being, I don't think the term has any real meaning beyond their plot. Does it even get used in 2?

The cyclical angle is right for sure, though. I don't think Vendrick literally killed Seath and Gwyn and so on, but he certainly had to deal with entities influenced by their souls, just as you do.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Jesus, the fire salamander pit is loving brutal on NG+.

Is there much reason to go down there? The greatshield seems alright, but not worth getting two of. Even late-game, those things are nasty.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

C'mon, arbiter, I'm already in NG+ Sinner's Rise, do you really need to punish me while I'm in the most prisony part of the superprison? Justice has clearly already been done.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Only rolled through a couple. Cast flash sweat, magic barrier and an orange burr and my health still drops like a rock. And yes I jump off the side there.

Some of these buffs break each other. I did it without the burr or barrier.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Sanctum posted:

I decided to have my go at FASHION SOULS II:

How did I do? :ohdear:

Last one's best, of course.

Sydin posted:

Nothing like having your host die against Pursuer because the other phantom decided to ballista them in the face! :shepicide:

I swear the most dangerous thing about that fight isn't the boss: it's the phantoms/hosts who don't understand that the ballista can and will kill anything in front of it, allies included.

The ones that do understand are a hundred times more dangerous.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Also they both use the Idol's Chime.

Wait, Nameless Usurper actually uses a chime? I've never seen them do anything but try to slash me to ribbons with a butter knife.

keyframe posted:

What is a good weapon that is both a catalyst and a chime and where do I get it?

Black Witch's Staff. Drops from the ladies in the Undead Crypt.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Mazed posted:

See, this game thinks it's clever by having Benhart first show up unable to pass a gate and using the "quite a pickle" line early on to trick us into thinking he'll be our Siegmeyer, but when ya think about it he was our Solaire this whole time. :buddy:

And clearly all of this was FROM's intent. See now I got some good Dark Souls fan logic going here.

That's some freshman english major poo poo right there. Good work.

Now make it marxist.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

You grind with white soapstones. Or by knocking an area's bonfire intensity up a notch, refreshing all the enemy spawns.

I got up to a couple million souls in NG just by shadeing bosses a lot.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Is Mytha supposed to be the princess? It doesn't make much sense for her to now be queen and to be so far from her own bell (Belfry Luna).

Nah, Mytha's thing is she lost her man to another woman and used poison to make herself beautiful. I like the idea that her man is the prince and the other woman is the princess.

Both Mytha and the lovers use puppetry, which is why people like to connect them.

aegof fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 10, 2014

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Don't be afraid to use titanite on your favorite weapons and spell catalysts. Shields and armor don't get quite as much from upgrades, and can probably wait. You will eventually get more, easier sources of titanite, so don't be too heartbroken if you "waste" titanite on a weapon you fall out of love with.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Some things only show up in a real NG+; increasing bonfire intensity alone isn't enough. Sinner's assistants are an example.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Azuth0667 posted:

Is there a dexterity guide anywhere? I'm trying a swordsman and its really painful. My damage and defenses are crap. The twinblade was fun for a while but, if you don't get that windup or poise break the enemy you're screwed.

Falchion, scimtar, spear, rapier, bow are your options for a while. Keep a basic dagger around for backstabs. Off-hand scimtar can be good for parries. Dexterity scaling is bad for damage, so you need the high-damage crits from parries, shield breaks and backstabs. Soften enemies up with arrows, and maybe consumables early on.
Later, spells and resins can help raise your damage, or you can start playing with poison, which many enemies are actually vulnerable to. Including a number of bosses. Dexterity gives a bonus to poison, and a Poison Ricard's Rapier can apply it pretty quick.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Babyface Mingo posted:

how do you reckon two giants got into black gulch and just chilled down there for such a long time?

Dunno how, but I'm 100% certain on why: they were running from me :black101:

They probably walked, though.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I dunno if I like the idea that it's old and decrepit Ornstein or the idea that it's someone dressed like him. Either way, the ring being worn by the Chosen Undead and then making its way across the ocean over the passage of time isn't that far fetched, especially since so much other equipment and souls do the same.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Maxmaps posted:

I found it while exploring, it opened up by itself (I guess my soul memory was high enough) but I nope'd the hell out of there after the lady told me I'd be screwed going in now.

Same. If you get their before your SM is high enough, the Shrine'll tell you to SEEK MIGHTIER SOULS, a nice code for "fight the four old ones." And if you made it through Shaded Woods and Freya without finding the Shrine, then I guess you didn't explore well enough the first time.

Remembering where locked doors are is pretty useful in this game.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

FutureCop posted:

So for a puny Sorcerer who has only put points into Attunement (32), Intelligence (40) and Faith (40), and absolutely nothing else, infusing my dagger with dark would be the best thing to do, right? Just wanted to make sure since I only have one of these stones at the moment and I keep hearing things about the scaling for infusions being weird to a point where I should forgo infusing things at all, except for my staffs (and speaking of staffs, if I infuse Dark in them, will that make it so that only Hexes will be powerful on that staff, while making normal sorceries weaker?).

Pretty sure EC murdered me pretty well with a dark resonant dagger once. Dark infused staffs/chimes are a definite go, if you're using hexes. It does weaken magic/lightning damage, but that's kind of whatever if you're throwing around Greater Resonant Soul.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

aeverous posted:

New to the franchise here.

Would you recommend starting with the first game or this one? Can't decide what to buy.

Play them all, in whatever order you like. Dark Souls 1 PC may lose it's online side soon, when Games for Windows Live dies, but it's a good game even without that. Demon's Souls is a PS3 exclusive, and apparently still has some people playing it. Dark Souls 2 is the newest thing, so is the most active online. All three have enough plusses and minuses relative to one another that which is "better" comes down to taste.

Also I guess there are a few references in Dark Souls 2 to plot elements and characters in Dark Souls 1, but nothing really important.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

VisAbsoluta posted:

This is kinda dumb, but any tips for playing without a shield besides "dodge everything lmbo"? Perhaps a video playthrough of someone good going without one? I've been playing since DeS with shields as a crutch and I can't imagine finishing the games without one. :negative:

dodge everything lmfao

No, for real. Learn the enemy's attacks, and dodge them. Fight from out of their reach, when possible, weather this means with an ultragreatsword or with throwing knifes or with lightning spears from the edge of their draw distance.
Personally, I prefer to dodge, but keep a shield around where I'm not sure I can dodge consistently or against a new enemy.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Cardboard Box posted:

except for the times they don't :negative: I never was able to figure out why they sometimes just don't care about my torch at all

Sometimes they lose patience and get some courage. You'll know because they get all ragey and screamy for a couple seconds before they charge you and stop caring about your dumb little torch.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

All the hats and the Prisoner's Tatters raise Item Discovery by the same amount, because they all call the exact same special effect. I cannot find the base of the stat or how much they raise it by (because Item Discovery's meaning has always been very hard to find), but it's not important.

Unlike Dark Souls 1, you are allowed to stack multiples of the same special effect. So, just use them all.

This is cool and good to know. So can you stack Cloranthy and other stamina regen equipment/effects?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

gently caress gekkos in this game. I don't get why they changed it so you have to loot their corpses rather than the items being auto added like in Dark Souls. Killed a gekko in Tseldora, but I fell off the ledge it was on before looting it. No way back up to the ledge without teleporting, which would make the corpse disappear. So I didn't get my sweet loot :mad:

I've killed them so that they fell off ledges, or through a bridge, and lost the corpse forever. It's great.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Are any of Mytha's weapons worth using? Or the gargoyle bident or bone scythe? I may just beat the whole drat game again with the drangleic sword. I'm at 35 str and 20 dex atm btw.

Mytha's Bent Blade makes a decent crit weapon. I think its bonus is about as big as the basic dagger, with (I think) the bonus of adding poison/toxic build up. I needed two backstabs on the mutants in Sinner's Rise to get them poisoned, but it was a nice surprise. I'll be keeping it in my back pocket if there's no other boss weapons I want to upgrade.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Ariong posted:

Any tips on killing fire salamanders? Remaining out of their line of fire seems like pure luck since they can do that weird thing where they spin around without moving their legs.

High damage range on the ground, or inexhaustible range from elsewhere. Don't try and melee them, and stay out of their range if you can.
Better yet, don't try to kill them at all. Only one that's worth it is the one blocking the cave if you don't have the iron key yet. Even then it's probably better to just get the key and sprint around them as much as possible.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Hey Genocyber when you say elemental infusions are best for pvp, does that rule out poison? I was under the impression that was the best choice for pvp for some reason.

Elemental's good because you can layer a same-element spell buff on top of it, which will add to the elemental damage and then increase it by a significant percent. If poison does more damage, it's because you're inflicting the target with poison, not because of the damage of the weapon (which will probably be relatively low).

If you want to poison people, it's probably with a Bat Staff Dark Fog, and then you'll still have all the other staff options as back up.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

oneof3steves posted:

So if I have around 30 int and am casting magic weapon on my falchion should I infuse it with magic or enchant for more damage... I have around 17 dex/9 str.

Magic will serve you better than enchanted, since it gives the weapon magic damage and the spell will boost that. Enchanted weapons just scale off of Intelligence, still using physical damage, and typically not very well.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Olewithmilk posted:

Is it worth me using all my petrified somethings to full upgrade the Dragonrider bow?

It's a good bow that's a bit slower than the shortbow. Hits way harder than the shortbow, though. If nothing else in the boss weapon screens have caught your eye, go for it.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

FirstPersonShitter posted:

you can ring all the ghost summoning bells in undead crypt as a red phantom

Pray they don't have a giant's seed, though.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I tended to get killed by the normal enemies way before I got invaded, so I never did learn to pvp in DS1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Actually to ask for clarification on my own speculation here: What weapons besides the dagger have hidden critical multipliers? All dagger-class weapons?

I've tried a couple other daggers, but the basic and Mytha's Bent Blade were the ones with really sky-high crit damage.