Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

So does this mean the game will be playable on Thursday evening for us Americans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Casual here that played Ds1 as a knight and wore heavy armour and slow rolled everywhere, I intend to continue along the one true path. :colbert:

This is the truth. Here is my first kill of Gwyn when DS1 came out on the PC:

Full Havel's, +15 Man-Serpent's Greatsword and Black Knight's Shield. :getin:

* Dex is so much more fun though.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Man, I'm complete garbage at this game and I love it. The enemies feel like they're a hell of a lot meaner compared to DaS1 which is keeping me on my toes. My only complaint is the Estus Flask situation and health recovery in general. It feels really limiting and punishing this early in the game and I'm finding myself running out of lifegems regularly.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

I managed to get Skyrim into Dark Souls II

Characters look so much better in DaS2 but I kind of miss the lore behind the ethnic groups in DaS1. I thought those were kinda neat.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

HellCopter posted:

Kadokawa is pretty big and respected though, I can't see it having any negative effects on them going forward.

I just hope that FROM has the rights to Dark Souls and not Bandai-Namco.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

So, is there any reason to visit the Undead Purgatory because the road to it is painful as hell.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Trip report on the Skeleton Lords:

"Man, this is really easy but this music ownsssohholyshit :magical:"

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I'm almost SL100 and I still only have one Great Soul. :shepicide: I can't stop Sunbroing and exploring every nook and cranny.

Edit: What's the typical endgame soul level, by the by?

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 1, 2014

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I encountered this guy while Sunbroing earlier:

I wish I could send him a message because it made my day. I never thought I'd long for the days of GFWL's capabilities over Steam's. :negative:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

net cafe scandal posted:

This is a really fun game but I can't name a single character half as interesting as Siegmeyer or Solaire, nor can I think of a boss design half as cool as Nito. Please provide evidence to the contrary that isn't Gavlan if you can think of something

This game needs a Marvellous Chester analogue. Straid is a smug rear end in a top hat, but Chester's assholishness was an art.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Perfect Potato posted:

It's really startling watching someone play the Artorias DLC while playing DS2 and hearing Felkin or Wheelchair Guy or anyone who even mentions the ideas related to the DLC spout "I feel great Dark in you, Dark is calling, Dark Dark Dark Darkity Dark" non-stop. The writing in this game is real bad and that's not getting into lore or map design or anything like that.

Yeah, while this is probably the Age of Dark coming to an end, it does feel like the lore took a major backseat to everything else in the game. It's a bit disappointing since Dark Souls 1's environments were fantastic and told you just as much about the setting as the item descriptions did. I have no idea how any of the various portions of Drangleic mix together. I get that it's probably Lordran well into the future, but I have no real sense-of-place for a lot of the environments (with the biggest disconnect being the Earthen Peak and the Iron Keep) and I miss that. :smith:

Don't get me wrong, this is a very good game and I'm having fun, but it feels like it has more rough edges than its predecessor in a lot of ways. It feels like they've purposefully obfuscated things to make the world more "mysterious" which has only served to make it more shallow in my opinion.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Oh, man, I had no idea that there was a shoutout to Garl Vinland's armor in this game. How do you get that?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I'm really not a huge fan of Soul Memory mostly I've been enjoying Sunbroing but that's starting to slow down now that I'm almost at a million SM. I just want to help dudes out and it feels kind of counterproductive against that. I'd personally love for them to lower the final SM pool to something reasonable, like 2 - 3 million or so.

Also on an unrelated note, I wasn't ready for the beastliness of Jester Thomas. :allears:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm in the Shrine of Amana, is this Ash Lake? It looks like it.

I think Things Betwixt is more obviously connected to the Ash Lake, what with the Archtrees and the shoreline. This would also sorta tie into the area under the mansion having the shattered Lordvessel, the accumulated ash and the area around it having the remnants of the same sort of architecture as the Kiln of the First Flame.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Argas posted:

Do remember that Anor Londo basically sat on top of a mountain. It could still be some super ruined and flooded Anor Londo but it feels like forcing it for the sake of ANOR LONDO IS IN THIS GAME when there's much simpler explanations regarding, well, everything. The giant armored dudes also resemble stone knights way more than the sentinels in Anor Londo, but I haven't really gone and looked at them closely in a while. The game makes a lot of callbacks and likes drawing on the legacy of Dark Souls' aesthetics but it's more about parallels than actually trying to stick things from the Dark Souls into the secod game.

Where Drangleic is in relation to Lordran, Vinheim, etc. is pretty vague because we didn't really have an idea of where Lordran was. It consisted of Anor Londo and its surrounding areas at the very least but there wasn't an ocean or anything, it seemed to be a landlocked nation. Meanwhile, Drangleic is explicitly on a large landmass, though I hesitate to call it a continent simply because we don't really have a good reference for scale. If the continent is large enough, it's quite possible for Lordran and Vinheim to be part of it. There's also the fact that while Drangleic was once a dominant power, it didn't just blanket the land with its civilization. We see locations where pre-Drangleic ruins are still there because they never bothered inhabiting some areas. Earthen Peak and Iron Keep aren't really in keeping with the rest of the Drangleic stuff we see and the lore implies that it was its own kingdom or something rather than part of Drangleic whenever its inhabitants were still human.

Lordran and its environs were held aloft by the Archtrees, which is why the area you first meet Solaire has the whole sea of clouds vista thing going for it. Given that DS2 is several centuries in the future (and the position of the Archtrees in Things Betwixt), it's completely possible that the landmass is now at shoreline level of the Ash Lake or the Kiln of the First Flame.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

He's right though? I haven't seen a 16:10 default monitor in years since 1080p became the industry standard. I'm sure they exist but 16:9 has been the de facto ratio for a while now.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Sure, letterboxing on 8:5 and controls so bad, even DS1s default controls are better and they've shown they're trying at least, but fail at the most basic poo poo.

:psyduck:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Some news on the lore front: EpicNameBro asked FROM about The Emerald Herald's name being listed twice in the credits and it turns out that the fourth firekeeper in the opening is an older Shanalotte.

I wonder if that means that the DaS 1 narrator was her as well. That'd be kinda neat.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Spiritus Nox posted:

So this has probably been asked before, but how the flying gently caress does going UP from the top of Earthen Peak take me to a fiery castle halfway submerged in lava? :geography99:

The real answer is that Earthen Peak and Iron Keep both occupy the same space on the game map if I recall correctly. The story explanation is

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

NeurosisHead posted:

Is anyone else getting forced into offline mode at start up? I have internet (obviously), but it says it's unable to reach the dark souls servers.

Yeah, servers are down. Right when a friend and I were going to co-op for the first time ever, too. :smith:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

net cafe scandal posted:

The rank 3 covenant requirements for most covs are so stupid given that excessive covenant japery will knock your Soul Memory out of whack (See also: farming of any kind). I really cannot stand this mechanic at all, I'm hoping there are enough discontented Japanese across the sea that we get a workaround of some king in the next piece of DLC / patch.

Yeah, I Sunbro'd up enough to get Sunlight Spear and I'm now at 1.4 SM and it feels like summoning signs have tapered off pretty heavily for me. I've mentioned it before but SM feels really punitive for people that want to just pal around with friends or help others in general. I'm honestly considering starting a new character for it but at the same time, I'm tempted to just use CheatEngine to lower my SM.

I'm much too cowardly to do the latter however. I'm afraid of breaking some sanity check and getting VAC banned for it.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

If I've leveled up to 50 FTH, is it worth it for me to bother getting enough INT for Hexes? Hexes look baller as hell to be honest but my ADP is still terrible.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

turtlecrunch posted:

Gwyndolin was a guy "raised as a girl" because Gwyn was a poo poo horoscope Chinese fortune cookie dad that based his parenting on what phase of the moon his children were born in.

I thought he raised him as a girl because his first son was like "NO, gently caress YOU, DAD" and didn't want a repeat of that, too.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Mr Wikstroem posted:

What?! You can talk to her from that far away? Why on earth would they put such a important npc in such a position so that you easily miss the dialogue that tells you what the hell to do next. That is some real lovely design right there. I'm honestly very disappointed in from right now, I expected better. Then again, it's not the first time I've been disappointed lately, these last few areas seem to contain a inordinate amount of enemies that will kill me from full health with one blow. It's been more like Dragon's Lair than Dark Souls to be honest.

Look at this peasant expecting to be in close proximity with royalty as if he/she's people. :v: But seriously, going anywhere near the rails brings up a talk prompt.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

As someone who doesn't give a crap about hexing and only after the chime, can I kill Wheels McDark for the chime itself or do I have to go through all of his bullcrap?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

turtlecrunch posted:

"We could have made every part of the game this pretty, we just decided not to." :darksouls:

Also look at this cute thing I found and its cute little feet. :3:

What mask is that? That looks phenomenal.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Nope. Being a bellbro doesn't stop invasions in the belfries. Didn't you listen? No one is allowed in the belfries.

No one.

As for the gargoyles, lightning damage really helps. Invest in some pine resin. Try to focus one of them at a time to prevent too many spawning at the same time and hope to get lucky.

Why are those puppet things so protective of the belltowers? Is it for the possibility of a glorious, trespasser-free future; a Bell Époque, if you will?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

In the double Dragonrider fight in Drangleic I one-shotted the archer on the ledge with a single Sunlight Spear. For a moment, I knew what it was like to be Lord Gwyn. :getin:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

I don't know why people call it the Shrine of Anime and maybe it's because of my Midwesternness, but when I think of the Shrine, I can't help but imagine a bunch of Quakers and Lutherans holding up pitchforks and looking surly.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Maybe it's just me but, yes. After being told by the Herald I was the only one to make it partway to the Ancient Dragon, make it through further trials to receive the Ashen Mist Heart directly from the Ancient Dragon which I assumed he only had one of, I did not in fact expect to find that a random NPC with a long, sordid history of having to stop and not quite make it through places before I do not only has an additional Ashen Mist Heart, but has beaten me to the punch on this one. I did yes find that strange thank you for asking

edit tl;dr this

was supposed to be a joke I thought

It's the same way in Dark Souls 1 with Solaire. In your timeline, Solaire is a visitor that you can summon for help but in his timeline, he's the Chosen Undead and goes on to link the Fire. Benhart's deal is the same way and that's a large part of the Souls series. Our player characters are exceptional but they aren't the only people capable of extraordinary feats.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Average Bear posted:

Thongs Betwixt.

This would be an excellent name for a Souls-themed strip club.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Are rapiers worth using at all now? It seems like DEX got hit really hard with the nerf stick. :(

also Happy 420, Dank Souls thread. :catdrugs:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

So, for a mostly Faith/STR build, would it behoove me to go with the Thorned Greatsword or to go with the Defender Greatsword? Both look good and the Defender's Greatshield looks rad, too.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

The world connectivity issue is more than likely due to memory issues on an aging platform. Thematically, it's because your memories are unreliable due to being a Hollow. Hope this helps; Umbasa.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well yeah, even the worst areas and bosses in DS2 don't hold a candle to areas that were probably somewhere between being rushed out or outright cut from DS1. If only they ended up deleting those areas instead of copypasting NPCs to pad it out.

Nothing in DS2 so far (I'm probably like 90% done) has come close to the hell that was New Londo. New Londo is probably the most anger-inducing area I've ever played in a video game, with the Tomb of the Giants as a close second.

edit: Flamelurker is probably tied with Tomb of the Giants, too.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It would have made a lot more sense if they'd put the giant memories in the other boss rooms instead of having them all in FoFG and the ancient dragon memory being the only one that requires you to go anywhere.

In dragon-chat, I don't think the ancient dragon in the memory is the Everlasting Dragon at all. Given that:
- the duke seems to have been Aldia (the king's brother)
- you find a hollowed nobleman in the study behind Freja
- Freja is guarding that dragon corpse
- the Ancient Dragon is most likely Aldia (multiple people point out it's a fraud, it drops a giant soul instead of an ancient dragon soul, Aldia is noted to have been performing experiments on soul transplants/transmutation using giant souls)

The most likely case is that the dragon corpse in Freja's cave is either a dragon that the duke first tried his experiments on (which failed), or the original ancient dragon which the duke used to transform his body into a dragon (instead of just putting his soul in a dragon body). The pillars around the ancient dragon in the memory look more like the dragon aeries than archtrees.

The pillars are broken and splintered Archtrees. It's likely that the memory takes place directly after the war with Lord Gwyn, given the sunlight and dryness of the area. The area is reminiscent of the Kiln of the First Flame in Dark Souls 1 with the exception that the Kiln had a massive retaining wall built around its perimeter.

Basically, Dark Souls lore owns and I love trying to piece this stuff together.

Edit: This also makes me think that the Throne of Want is built from or on top of the remains of the Kiln of the First Flame or Firelink Shrine. I think that's mostly due to slight architectural similarities though.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 15, 2014

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They don't look anything like that.

Yeah, they do. Remember, the Witch of Izalith and her daughters summoned firestorms to scorch the nests of the Everlasting Dragons (who resided in the Archtrees). Those giant trunks are the remainders of that. You can see it in the opening movie of DkS1

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

laplace posted:

Still think the memory is a bitter memory of Seath's, remembering Guyra's death. Guyra is a big three eyed black dragon, after all, and Seath's betrayal would have lead to Guyra's death and the end to their struggle.

You know, cause this game couldn't be more King's Field if it tried.

Wasn't there a Tseldora in King's Field (II), too? It's been forever since I've played that game but I remember someone with a similar name being mentioned.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Kild posted:

Theres a Silviera in 2.

I was thinking of Tsedeck, the Mage of Flame and Silviera, too. Thanks.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Heavy Lobster posted:

I feel like the memory is probably sometime after the events of DaS1 rather than after Gwyn's war – Ash Lake shows that there are still a world's worth of archtrees and the lake itself, whereas the memory has the trees destroyed and the lake dried up. Doubling down on this, take a look at the landscape before you take the elevator up to the Aerie - the huge pillars of stone seem like the dead archtrees petrified (and still supporting what little life on top of them they can). The pillars surrounding Things Betwixt are reminiscent of this too, although what TB even is is kind of hard to pin down. I don't really get the Kiln comparison to dragon memories, since for me at least the only thing they really have in common is the lack of color, and being faded out is a thing for all the memories.

I feel like an idiot because I didn't notice the fossilized Archtrees in Aldia's Keep. I wonder if this means that the Aerie is the last remnant of the landmass that was Lordran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Relin posted:

I was like oh I don't see why anyone hates shrine of Amana then I got to the two melee enemies standing before the fog gate

Speaking of this, does anyone happen to have an Archdrake hat that they don't want? I hunted those bastards to extinction and only got their sweatpants to show for it. :smith: I'll gladly pay in Titanite or other armors.