Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

Speaking of Charlotte, people are starting to point out after last night that she is loving terrible at selling. Naturally this pissed off parts of reddit.

Please disregard the fact that much bigger people have sold for smaller people. Look at Brock. He sold like hell for Rey Mysterio and Finn Balor. Given he still won, but at least he actually SOLD for them. Big Show, and even the Great Khali even sold more for the people they faced.

Not a regular watcher, so YMMV in regards to my opinion, but is she usually that boring on the mic? Like when she's whooing like her dad, it just sounds so flat and robotic to me, and hearing the announcers practically tripping over their feet singing her praises and extolling her virtues made her seem like a Sable that could wrestle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vandar posted:

It's this. This probably set him off.

https://twitter.com/tom_moore_104/status/1224147505950199808

Beyonce and Jay-Z didn't stand for the magic freedom song either, so that probably got under his skin too.

The choreographer is a Samoan New Zealander who have their own history of oppression and inequality as an immigrant community that was demonised and targeted by the police.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wait until this guy sees his matches against The Mecha Mummy.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I mean Santino sucks but he was still a young employee being hit by his boss. And he's infamous for going after a fast food worker.

At best, even if you're willing to excuse that stuff for whatever reason or laugh at him threatening to kill Russo he's always clearly been a hosed up violent rear end in a top hat.

Or that time he flipped his poo poo at a black security guard and called him the n-word, which is apparently OK for Jim Cornette to say because he just wanted to upset the guy.

But hey, he needs his stupid loving corner in the world of irrelevance as he continues to shriek red-faced, spit flying everywhere, into the howling void while to the amusement of a brigade of pretentious fuckwits who parrot his idiocy, mistaking it for wisdom.

Edit: Sorry, Jerusalem. Didn't see your post before I wrote this.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 5, 2020

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

karmicknight posted:

Chaos is what happens the star athlete’s moves to a new school and his gang gets taken over the weird pretty boy who keep inviting his friends (Sho and Yoh and Yoshi-Hashi and Will Ospreay) but because Nakamura vouched for him before he left Nakamura’s old friends (Ishii, Yano, Rocky) stick around.

Goto lost a feud with chaos and was subsumed which is why he isn’t in this metaphor.

Speaking of Goto, I wish he'd get a run with the big belt one day. Dunno if that's a bad opinion, but there you go.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

If we're going to do a gold watch reign I'd rather it be Ishii than Goto

Goto not getting a run during the Yukes years is pretty telling as they were probably desperate for a home grown talent to have the title besides Nakamura/Tanahashi. And they never gave him the belt which says a lot

Goto, I suppose, would be the NJPW equivalent of Barry Windham in the 80s when the NWA World Heavyweight title meant something, someone that could be relied on to be a credible challenger for the belt and put on a good match with the champion, even if we all know he won't actually win it (I know Windham won the title in the early 90s, but by that point, the belt didn't mean much anyway), kind of like Minoru Suzuki when he's in the title picture.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MJeff posted:

Defend against, like, Naito at NB, Jay at Sakura Genesis, Okada at Dontaku just in time for him to drop it to Shingo at Dominion.

Okada and Goto are stable buddies, so swap him out for Tanahashi, and use people like Suzuki, ZSJ, Moxley, Archer and LiJ guys like Sanada and Evil as Challengers of the Month, and then have the match against Shingo or Ibushi at Destruction.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MJeff posted:

Then flip Okada and Jay so Okada is challenging him as the winner of the NJC instead. The story of "Goto trained as hard as he's ever trained to beat Okada, Okada beat him anyway and Goto joined Chaos." isn't something you should shy away from in this hypothetical.

I'd prefer to make Okada the G1 winner to challenge Goto at the Dome Show, and make that the story - Goto was a serial choker and no matter how hard he trained or up-skilled, he just couldn't win the big one, joined up with Chaos, has now won the belt, is going through the people that he's been beaten by, and Okada now stands as the final boss for him to overcome.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MJeff posted:

The random SmackDown was like two weeks before Mania, Asuka was SD Women's Champion, Charlotte just showed up and tapped her out to make the Mania main event have more stakes.

I think that was where I completely switched off from the main roster. Jinder as champ was bad but at least there was an effort to elevate someone new. That random loss was just a bridge too far, and I just got sick and tired of this endless Charlotte push. It even wasted Asuka tapping out Becky Lynch clean for a whole year.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wait, has the XFL started already?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

dsriggs posted:

...these people ARE aware that wrestling is fictional & that Nyla doesn’t have any unfair advantages whatsoever, right?

Look, I don't think you understand. Trans people, if that is indeed their real name, are icky and gross and the entire universe is obligated to bend over backwards cater to my own personal biases and hang-ups! Do I need to write a picture? Gosh!

What do you mean "get the gently caress over it?"

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

While there are issues with methodology that comes from sample size (not many openly transwoman athletes, I guess), but IIRC, studies done indicate that transwomen do worse in sports where muscle strength is a significant factor, compared to their pre-transition records, and by the time they've fulfilled the IOC's requirement of 12 months of HRT, there's no significant difference between their bodies and a cis woman's body, with some exceptions like the plumbing downstairs.

NOT THAT IT SHOULD loving MATTER IN A FAKE SPORT, FOR gently caress'S SAKE.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

"If you don't like WWE, go find the door."

Many of us did, and found NJPW and AEW behind it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Bret Hart and his storylines with his family are one of the main reasons I'm a wrestling fan and that clip of him stopping Owen and Davey from fighting and making Owen cry is one of my favorite wrestling angles of all time and I rewatch it constantly.

Bret wasn't always the best on the mic, but he was excellent in 1997.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

The advertising executives who came up with the "who will pay for it" propaganda have flat out said that it's bullshit and worked better than they ever could of imagined because they even got Democrats to repeat it.

It’s also quite wild for us non-Americans, who live in countries with public, universal healthcare.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

The "injured Kairi and then continued to wail on her" part is recent.

The most recent TLC, if I remember correctly. Honestly, anyone doing a spot like that to another should have a duty of care, and it was clear that Charlotte was derelict in hers.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

They pay him to be controversial.

Who's "they" in this context?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

Something tells me that someone never actually watched anything with either of them in it.

On the one hand, a team made up of (comparatively) bigger women as a powerhouse tag team in the division would be a nice point of difference from the others - and giving the tag teams something to help them stand out is a thing the WWE needs to do better at. But Nia and Tamina ain't it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

coconono posted:

Was that Jinder’s fault tho? If you look at ADR, Sheamus, Punk, Mysterious, Christian’s title runs you see a pretty specific pattern of the champ looking like a total fool via booking. I haven’t watched Jinders work but I imagine it’s more of the same.

You're wrong. It made just about everyone he worked a programme with also look like poo poo, and somehow managed to drag others into its shittiness, making them look like dickheads too. Just about the only people who came out at least at the same level they were to begin with were AJ Styles, who ended that reign, and The Great Khali.

Benne posted:

Jinder's just a lovely wrestler and no amount of booking was going to cover that. His title reign would've sucked even if it was well-booked.

Yeah, this too. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but yeesh, he's definitely the weak link in 3MB. Like, no one is going to accuse Miz of being a good wrestler, but at least he can talk and get himself over, and when he got his title run, he was actually getting a lot of heat. Jinder got promoted well beyond his level of ability, but at least we got the "choppin' and choppin'" clip out of Bryan Alvarez out of it.

If the WWE were absolutely desperate to push someone unexpected, they could've done worse than, say, Rhyno, with Slater as his buddy that is delighted to just be there and support his buddy. Good booking could've made an interesting storyline like "yeah, I'm not the force I used to be, but I've still got the Gore."

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 30, 2020

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Harvey Whippleman was, like, 20 years ago though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

flatluigi posted:

https://twitter.com/starrcastsucks is another one of his accounts

edit: and also https://twitter.com/Demo617 and https://twitter.com/BenoitsSoul holy gently caress this guy is insane

edit: there's also six or seven more accounts but i've already spent over an hour on this sad excuse for a human being

Reported the ones you've listed, plus the other one. gently caress this piece of poo poo, he can go get hosed.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Kazuchika Okada vs Shorty G for the US Championship, live and exclusive on the Wrestlemania pre-show!

WWE booking has broken people so badly that booking your champion, the ace of your company, strongly is bad now.

He’ll be used to put some that the crowd can’t stand over, and there’ll be a racist promo written by Vince along the way, like Jinder’s “herro herro ching chong wing wong chinky chinky” promo in his feud with Nakamura.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Its some bizarre reasoning that booking a little guy to beat a big guy would somehow be "progressive" because the old companies book the big guy over the little guy making it "regressive". While also invoking "David vs Goliath" as good even though that means the "progressive" thing is the ancient as gently caress story.

Its hard to say "lol, maybe that thing I said was dumb."

Why would you even book to have the new guy, who's huge and a big deal, to lose right away to begin with? That's loving booking 101 poo poo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

libertarians are just republicans who want to smoke weed and be open about their pedophilia

Also pol sci majors who've got half a semester of Politics 100 under their belt.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MJeff posted:

It was actually a random episode of Raw.

I could've sworn Charlotte's PPV win streak got ended on a random PPV though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ShootaBoy posted:

Speaking of amazing wrestlers...

If his job is to be an inherently unlikeable, obnoxious dick, then yeah, he's doing a great job. It comes down to how he's used though, and constantly being trotted out to be put into an endless stream of high profile feuds that never seem to end, and in matches that are given at least double the amount of time needed is not entirely his fault though. That's down to creative.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

Tapping out clean and then kissing Charlotte's rear end minutes later will open up so many story line opportunities for Asuka, just wait.

Yeah, she got to look like an absolute muppet against Carmella! VERY STORYLINE! WOW!

MJeff posted:

Bayley won the belt from Charlotte on a random Raw, then took her PPV streak at Fastlane, then won a random-rear end elimination four-way at WM. Then immediately dropped the belt to Alexa Bliss. Then This Is Your Life and the Kendo Stick match happened.

I don't care about how crummy she is at promos, anybody who ever Always Bads Bayley should just step back and take a look at that six months. That was a loving gauntlet of horrible booking that nobody could escape from.

Oh yes, that Kendo Stick match. Yeah, no one came out of that feud with Bliss looking good.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

The Performance Center spends all that time doing crossfit bullshit and yet they wrestle a low-tempo style and everyone is blown up anyways

This kind of reminds me of a thing that happened in rugby. Jerusalem used to pop up in the rugby threads in SAS, so he probably remembers him, but about 10 years ago, South Africa used to have this guy at No. 8 (that's literally what the position is called) called Pierre Spies. Million dollar look, built like a loving tank, could run like a bullet, etc.

My goodness, he was built like a Greek god.

England would also field these huge forwards, like recent Bellator signing James Haskell

What neither of them had though, was any sort of workrate, and were often blown up and gulping in air deep into the second half.

Comparatively, New Zealand fielded this guy:

Kieran Read, while obviously fit and muscular, was never a "ripped" athlete like Spies or Haskell ever were, but had an immense workrate and was still galloping around in the final quarter, with seemingly no off-switch, and was an integral part of an intense, high-tempo style of play that won the team back-to-back World Cups in 2011 and 2015.

So basically, the Performance Center clearly favours the likes of Spies and Haskell, rather than producing Reads, and it's quite telling.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, the kind of star power that leads to a drop in ratings.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So we were the global pandemic all along?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Giving Charlotte mic time is a terrible idea, tbh.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

This whole attitude is just utterly :wtc: to me. Here in New Zealand, we're in the middle of a nationwide lockdown. Everyone is living in their "bubble" - anyone they were under the same roof with when the lockdown was announced. The only things open being "essential services" like supermarkets or medical facilities, and even those are on strict, reduced capacity (limited numbers allowed in and mandatory social distancing of 2 metres from anyone not from their bubble, for example), and we're seeing massive benefits now. The death toll has been at just 11, from 1094 confirmed cases and 867 recovered so far.

Religious groups like churches are livestreaming their services instead, with the clergy living in the churches and cathedrals in their own bubbles.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Don't forget the ongoing treatment of Zainichi Koreans as second-class citizens, and the manner in which Burakumin are treated (a recent PM, Taro Aso, was revealed to have interfered with a colleague's career because he had the temerity to be Burakumin and exist simultaneously).

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Vandar posted:

Remember when Stephanie and Brie were feuding and instead of Stephanie getting her comeuppance at the end she somehow replaced herself in the feud with Nikki and then somehow Nikki won the feud and made her sister her slave and then they just dropped the angle completely?

Good times, good times.

It was also symptomatic of a wider issue in the WWE, in that HHH and Steph never really got their comeuppance, other than that one time when Dolph was the one to end them with an assist from Sting, only for it to be undone about a week or two later. If that was the plan, surely they could have held off on that until they were going into WrestleMania at least?

It's like the Summer of Punk circa 2011 as well. They could have let it stew, but instead, they booked Cena to look like an utter dickhead at Mysterio's expense about a week after Punk left with the title, just so they could hotshot his return.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Alaois posted:

people have pointed this out to ryan satin and his response is that he pinned Alan Eagles after a second on in the match ergo it's his finisher

Undertaker beat Giant Gonzales with a flying clothesline. I guess that was his finisher all along.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Benne posted:

Don't tell this person that you can elevate wrestlers by, oh I dunno, having them win matches or something

Or at the very least make them look their equal, like Flair did with Sting or Windham.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Remember how Mick Foley put Triple H over on his way out by beating him in every one-on-one match they had in early 2000? Or that time he put over Randy Orton by pinning him clean as a whistle at Backlash in 2004?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

syzpid posted:

Every memorable match I can think of with HHH, it was because of everyone else in the match. Mick Foley was so white hot coming off the JR interview, anyone on the roster could have gotten over as much as HHH.

Even the matches that people hate are memorable because of the other guy in the match!

Steiner (wrestling a broken down guy who can't work for poo poo, and getting gassed like a death row inmate in 1950's California)

Booker T (wrestling a visible minority in an angle where HHH made some comments with racist undertones, and the racist won!)

Goldberg (wrestling a guy that the crowd was getting behind, and then pulling the rug out from underneath him by beating him in their first encounter in a still novel match-type at a showcase event)

Brock Lesnar (doing his best to stall the guy's momentum post-return and beating him clean at WM29 when he shouldn't have)

Sheamus (doing his best to stall a new guy's momentum by beating him clean at WM26)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

i don't even wanna know any of the names behind HHH on that guy's "best mic skills in WWE history" list. i guess if having the mic and talking into it is mic skills, he certainly did that the most, and doing the most of something is in some cases considered the best.

Honestly, I don't think he'd even crack the top 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

He did choose Chris Benoit Jr. as his wrestling name, though. I understand he still cares about his pre-murder dad but that's not helping his cause. He's extremely awkward in interviews even when not discussing his dad so he's already got an uphill battle.

Yeah, I guess he is/was struggling with the whole "my dad killed two people, including my half-brother," which would be a pretty heavy thing for anyone to have to deal with, but yeah, when you announce you intend to wrestle as "Chris Benoit Jr," it's almost like you're daring most promotions to hire you.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 4, 2020