Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I feel TNARICK has been around for years, going mental on various wrestling forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

His ring name is Stone Cold Steve Austin and that is 5 syllables

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

He won’t challenge for the title, but I guess a champion could goad/challenge him.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

You realise this is about Jeremy Corbyn?

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

The ratings arguments should be way more embarrassing for the Vincels. WWE has been a marketing powerhouse for decades. WWE branded stuff is in windows of toy shops, all over toy sections, magazine racks, collectable cards in supermarkets, and children will have reinforced brand recognition from their parents and their grandparents. With those advantages WWE's TV ratings should be 100 times bigger than AEW.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

WWF had so many factions during their hottest period that you ended up with ironic ones like the Job Squad

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

Is that why they use that word? I just assumed it was a cultural reference to something that I didn't get being American, since they make a lot of references to candy and other stuff that have silly names I've never heard of.

If that's why they use that term, though, that sucks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5bVAQHc9-k
The origin of the term in their "What [candy] bar does this wrestler look like"

They then worked the joke into everything they could: the name for their fanbase, their patreon and their annual awards show.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

https://partridge.cloud/scene/?id=Pxhv1RPvWMCQ

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

“I am very sad that you are leaving, except when you were fired for choking Justin Roberts because the Mattel contract is very important”

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Yeah, Bate is one of the best wrestlers I've ever seen live and I basically forgot he existed while I'm spending every week hearing about what Eva Marie and Dominic Mysterio is up to.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

I know Youtube is low-hanging fruit, but this is, uh, certainly a take.

"The name on the contract is CM Punk... but the C doesn't stand for Chicago, it stands for Connecticut!"

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

fez_machine posted:

I hope the people at Booker T's school aren't taking a promo class. That's some real local sports team bullshit.

Imagine Eddie Kingston cutting a promo at Grand Slam saying "The Highline, The Empire State building, The Statue of Liberty, The Met life building, Central Park" and then peacing out while the fans go wild.

Bruce Pritchard gives the speech about “they can’t win in their home town because people watch all over the world”, then the product is watching promos about the Idaho Buckledome and the Kansas Antelopes while we salute the American flag.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I love that all the WWE supporters, and even Booker T, end up referencing The Rock, Stone Cold, people from over two decades ago. Why doesn't he give this advice to the new WWE stars? Roman Reigns should have come out and talked about the Empire State Building. Then the crowd would all applaud and start having a party.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/floydspanx/status/1431060852707192832

Martha literally sued the company and refuses to let them put Owen in their fake HOF, but since she didn't cut promos on TV I guess that doesn't count as "talking poo poo"
Well he's right about the Wrestlemania main event - "no future"

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Infographic says Penelope Cruz lol

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

I read somewhere that for a truly toxic fan culture to form then the fanbase must be aware on some level that the object of their fandom is actually bad on some level. If the thing you like is legit good then you can just argue against criticism, but if you know it's true and what you like is so garbage that you can't just embrace the badness then your options are p much to stop being a fan or get super mad and start denying reality.

The WWE fanbase seem to mostly have chosen option two and three, and by now it's been winnowed down to the most bitter hard core.
The last ten years of mancave culture has to have entrenched brand loyalty. You can’t just switch over to AEW when you’ve paid to releather the winged eagle belt your wife got you for christmas and have it mounted on the wall above your entire Hasbro figure collection.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

The Night The Egg Was Chosen… Kimona Wanalaya laid an egg

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Brain Last's Last Brain Cell

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

There seems to be this swing voter air to these fans who don’t really like WWE. “I’m exactly who AEW has to convince so they must satisfy my very high standards before I deign to switch over to TNT”. Your loss buddy

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Yes all these countries are poo poo but only one of them is directly funding WWE to produce state propaganda. Well I guess two of them. Either way not the UK.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

WWE sends him cheese: "Ah, wrestling is so much culture"
AEW sends him cheese: "Billionaire Tony can't relate to black culture"

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Mark Bland is giving Tony Khan a job interview and he just wants him to explain the gap on his resume

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

It's not your classic bad take but even as someone who likes Marko, it's wild that someone would think and post this
It is a shame Marko's not there any more.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Didn’t Al work for free for Vince? There was a story on a shoot video where he refused to job, and he was like “they can’t fire me, they can’t dock my pay, they don’t pay me!”. I wonder who the stupid one is

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

davidbix posted:

On top of everything else I don't understand what this person thinks they're saying? Why wouldn't Tony Khan be the authoritative source about what Tony Khan wants to do with Tony Khan's company?

Could he have been talking about his second ECW run? He was there under WWE contract on WWE's dime, not ECW's.
I found a reference to it here

https://blogofdoom.com/index.php/2015/04/23/rf-video-shoot-interview-with-al-snow/

quote:

Cornette came out and told Snow they wanted him to put Brakkus over. Cornette went back to the staff and said Snow refused, the first time they have done so as Bruce Prichard said they wanted to fire him as Cornette said he wants to quit then Jerry Brisco suggested they withdraw his pay but was reminded he was not being paid anything as Snow said the company was pissed as they could not punish him and the first time he said no to something they wanted to let him go.

Filmed in April of 1998, scanning the article, I can't see anything to explain why he wasn't getting paid.

Edit: https://thesmartmarks.com/artman/publish/article_291.shtml
This more complete summary explains that Heyman was paying him at the time. So that resolves that.

keithy george fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 16, 2022

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

davidbix posted:

Wait.

Paul was using guys under WWF contract and WAS paying them? How? Why? Was Snow still on a contract without a downside/minimum guarantee?

quote:

After that, he was sent to ECW as a talent exchange now that Paul E. and Vince had a working relationship. A part of that agreement stated that Al wasn’t supposed to be jobbed out at house shows or on TV with the WWF, as he was Paul’s employee now. This agreement was respected until the One Night Only PPV in the UK, where Al was flown in as a jobber for Tiger Ali Singh

He said this was the night after the Tiger Ali Singh match in England (20th September 1997) and this is his only WWF match on cagematch since August 1997 where he's in ECW for almost a year. It says he's then 'stuck in the UK because of flights and they want him to job to Brakkus' (not sure what other UK TV tapings they did in 1997), which just seems like WWF pulled him over for a job and then messed him around to get some more jobs out of him.

In the interview he also says he hasn't had an offer from WWF and isn't sure if he wants to return, but then there's a comment:

quote:

How long is he under WWF contract? It runs out in the next few months, but ECW is technically his employer as they pay him.
So the status is very strange.

keithy george fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 17, 2022

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

dracula vladdy AF posted:

any time I go and look at the post history of one of these accounts it blows my mind. every bad wrestling twitter account posts like they have 50k more followers than they actually do
Like kids who play with their toys and do "Hey guys" youtube style narration, I think awful tweeting habits are just imitating the big accounts you have and imagining everyone ratioing your micdrop tweets.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Wrestling fans know that everyone thinks they’re a massive idiot for watching wrestling, they’re desperate for validation.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

The guy says millennials have narcissistic Twitter accounts… and an avatar of Donald Trump

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

The same people who would have gone on about how Asskicker Triple H is The Game and now insist that you Acknowledge the Tribal Chief The Needle Mover God Mode Roman Head of the Table Reigns

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

They put Austin in a faction with Test and Shawn Stasiak

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Controversy Creates Charcuteries

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Even when WWE officially releases a statement, it's still bullshit to them because they live for this lovely jousting on twitter.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Seams posted:

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1532920716277915648

Yeah it sums up that Ex is good at his job!!!
It's a fair point. Either something has changed recently, or I've just become hyper aware that the show has become very intense with Excalibur hyping the next four matches and 3 shows doing every undercard match, gotodraftkingsdotcomandwecontinueLIVEINPICTUREINPICTURE. It feels way heavier than it ever was before, all while trying to maintain a commentary both that probably averages 4.2 people.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's not Excalibur's fault that he has to try to squeeze in live copy ad reads and lengthy announcements from backstage at poorly chosen times which are often during main event matches

TK tells him to read something and he does his job as best he can given the circumstances. TK really needs to pick better spots for this poo poo though. It takes away from the ongoing match

Absolutely, that’s how I read Trevor’s post as well. Excalibur is too good at his job and TK is running him at 100% constantly. Regal will try and toss a line to the man in the mask and he has to get back to the incessant reminders about what’s coming next.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I can't parse that guy's tone at all. He may just have taken Jade's post literally and is stating the definition of paying dues.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Everyone loves to fantasy book the WWF/WCW Invasion but it would be exactly the same scenario of "I don't know who any of these people are, what's the storyline?" to the average WWF viewer at the time.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

What the gently caress does he mean “I only see people complain about camera cuts when I go online. When I just watch WWE I don’t hear the commentators talk about how poo poo the constant cuts look. I only see opinions when I look at them.”

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

https://twitter.com/ThisIsNasty/status/1547382165050392582?t=psA27oFlyOPnP9fdBczT-Q&s=19

Ten year veteran, company ace, and multiple time Sumo Hall main eventer
Alfred may just be begging for another Tony Khan correction since he struck so big on being wrong about JR’s vest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Like, a show should have 'matches for matches' sake just for general entertainment purposes, but also to keep up the pretense that wrestling is supposed to be a sport and people are going to compete in matches because that's the entire point of the sport.

With 'storyline brain' what does Teddy Long do if no-one particularly purturbs him that evening? Who's going to go one on one with the Undertaker? Sorry guys, no main event tonight.