Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Combat Pretzel posted:

The MSDN forums are using the most terrible forums software known to man.

xylo, why aren't common resources like PhoneAccentColor and such available in App.xaml or any custom resource dictionaries, but any of the regular pages? Actually, only a fraction of the Phone* resources are available at all. There's plenty of TextBlock styles that don't show up. :|

--edit: This SDK is broken. The documentation lists tons of styles with the Phone* prefix that are simply not available. Copying and trying to use the theme resource files from the SDK into the project, it breaks the project because it can't resolve System:Double.

--edit2: I suppose they're all gone and only relate to Silverlight. Taking apart the project templates, they don't use these either.

You think that's busted, try dragging a commandbar from the toolbox onto a windows phone app in the UI designer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

ElGroucho posted:

Nobody can ever say Window Phone has fanboys, because all I see here are goddamn complaints.

Clearly you've never been to WPCentral.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Presto posted:

I don't understand how to make this happen. I have a dev-unlocked 920. Went to the page, click the install button, got a page saying congratulations, then nothing happens. So I found another link to download the .xap but when I try to deploy it, it says it's an invalid file.

Why do you make this so hard, MS? :mad:

The preview isn't out yet. You'll get an OTA update when it is.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Darth TNT posted:

Maybe I have low standards, but I find their reporting to generally by pretty fair. They complain when they should complain. The main difference between them and a "real" news site s that they pick up even the most insignificant bit of news/rumor and after complaining they tend to put a more positive spin on thing.

They're okay. I was referring more to the community there. The kind of people who respond to comments they agree with by saying "+920/1020/[some other Nokia model number]".

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Factor Mystic posted:

Anyone have any clue on this? WP 8.1 has totally killed Messenger, for me.

Messenger is dead. They replaced it with Skype ages ago, and this is just WP catching up.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Factor Mystic posted:

I'm aware that the "Windows Live Messenger" branding is dead, but the service itself is still working, for example, with Rooms. I don't care about the label for the feature, I want to know how to stop the texting-like feature on my phone from using carrier SMS and restore it to using the same texting-like service which now powers Skype chat and Rooms.

I know. What I'm saying is that you can't do this.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Yeah, it's looking like it did.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

EdEddnEddy posted:

When in the world did they change the text input cursor from showing up above your finger to easily place it (ala WP7+) to the new lovely method of right below where you can't see under your finger (ala poo poo Android)?

Why in the hell would they go to a inferior method since it makes you have to tap around until you actually get to the space you were shooting for, vs the old method that had it easily snap to text, and being above your finger you could actually see wtf you cursor is doing.

WTF is with this regressing tech BS that keeps happening to this fine OS. Dammit! :psyduck:

Once you tap + hold and the circle appears, lift your finger then tap and drag the circle around.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

PlaneGuy posted:

My alarms work now, so that's something

I don't find it reliable at all. At least half the time it selects a nearby word on that second tap so I end up tap tap tap grrr tap tap there it is. And like ededdandeddy said it's under my thumb now, not above where i can see it.

Tap and hold for the second one.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
In case anyone still cares, Facebook beta app as been overhauled.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

PlaneGuy posted:

Still can't fire-and-forget photo uploads. Why do i have to babysit the upload screen in 2014? Goddammit Facebook are you actively trying to get me of your platform?

Facebook didn't make this lovely app. Microsoft did.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

WattsvilleBlues posted:

After 2.5 years, I think I'm going to have to give Windows Phone the elbow and hop over to Android on my next handset.

I have a few questions though - has anyone who has used Windows Phone 8.1 and gone over to Android 4.4 regretted it? If so, why? I'm thinking specifically of little things that you might not notice until you've been using Android for a while, or even small stuff that hits you right away.

There's not much in terms of functionality I would ever yearn for WP about. Maybe if you really like linked inboxes or the People hub.

For me, I just get sick of Android being so boring aesthetically. Yeah, you can customise it but for the most part it's all just small twists on the same thing.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

loquacius posted:

I didn't understand the "eliminate third-party apps and don't make a first-party one either" move when Google pulled it and it makes even less sense coming from a company that doesn't directly gain financially from Windows Phone crashing and burning.

This isn't about Windows Phone. Snapchat are clamping down on any and all unofficial apps to avoid further security issues.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Zarfol posted:

I'm pretty much the same way, only apps I use are awful, readit, myTube, and facebook messenger. The annoyance and lack of apps doesn't really affect me.

Although the facebook messenger apps drains battery ridiculously fast, and forced me to uninstall it and use the website instead. The facebook app luckily provides notifications for messaging.

Would have of course preferred a 930/icon instead of the m8 windows, as it was a logical upgrade from the 920. Microsoft probably hosed that one up.

Windows Phone - Microsoft probably hosed that one up

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

MobMentality posted:

Wouldn't it be great if a member of their design team was a member of the forums and could see this instead of the fan boy bullshit over at Windows Central?

Xylo please take note of my shitposting and use it to enhance your mobile platform.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Unless someone's never owned a smartphone before, then no. There's still just too much compromise.

But if they re-released the 920 with newer specs and the same design I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

The Lord Bude posted:

Australian Banks have excellent windows phone apps, especially the Commonwealth Bank, which was the first to really invest in a high quality Windows Phone 8 app. It's not just a shortcut to their mobile website either, it's a proper app, that put a good deal of effort into making it feel like a windows phone app. It's better than their Android app.

St George hopped on the bandwagon pretty early in the WP7 days. That's about the last time it was updated, too.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I can't fathom why someone who writes about tech for a living doesn't know or doesn't care about what's going on elsewhere. Surely that's the whole point of "analysing" this stuff?

There's a certain breed of tech "journalist" who writes about and concerns themselves exclusively with Microsoft. If it doesn't concern MS they simply don't care.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Definitely doesn't look like it's worth installing yet.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
What is it about Rooms messaging that makes it superior to, say, WhatsApp?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

loquacius posted:

Last time I used Android it was generally buggy as poo poo. Is this still the case? I ask because WP is still in two-strikes territory with me and nobody I know will ever let me live it down if I buy an iPhone.

You could just get the phone you want and not worry about what other people think.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's talk going around about Microsoft toying with the idea of buying Blackberry. Like what!

Two failed mobile platforms combined must equal success right?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

The Lord Bude posted:

Why did they give the shorter of the two phones the codename 'tallman'?

It's actually "Talkman".

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Drastic Actions posted:

If nothing else, I can have a PlayStation app deployed onto an Xbox One :getin:

That sounds like a magnet for bad reviews due to twisted brand loyalty.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

joebuddah posted:

I really want to know why Word on Android is so much better than Word on Wp.

WP8? Because the android version has been updated within the last year.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

s.i.r.e. posted:

Welp, my phone issues just hit critical mass. The recent update with the Windows Phone was killing my battery, not going through and wouldn't even let me update any apps. The phone became worthless over the weekend, I did a phone reset to try and fix it and uhh... this is my phone:

Yes, the only app I have is Cortana. If I bring the dropdown menu down and click settings it asks if I want to search the store for that because I don't have a Settings app. I also don't have a Store app. What the gently caress Microsoft. Time to go get a replacement.

I knew WP had an app gap but that is ridiculous.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

CubanMissile posted:

And most people don't buy into WP devotees' "Well I don't really need these apps" rationalizations.

Yeah, I used to think like this. Having used an iPhone for a while now, there are actually apps I do need and rely on that simply aren't on WP.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Are we getting the official Facebook app any time soon? I have it on desktop but my phone app is still Microsoft's, and since it won't display any images in group feeds for some reason, I am keen to be shot of it. I couldn't get in the beta last time I tried.

Coming Soon™

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Skype is absolute garbage and making it the primary experience for anything at all is a step backwards.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

CubanMissile posted:

Guys I'm sure the Surface phone will be out any minute and it'll be groundbreaking.

And it'll run all of the apps on iPhone AND Android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Shumagorath posted:

Little things like no keyboard cursor movement will piss me off

Just hard press the keyboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlcCgiYF2Fs