Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

wormil posted:

I've been using the native podcast app for a good while (8.1) and haven't had any complaints. But recently a particular podcast has stopped working. I just get a useless error message that there is a problem. It updates, I see new podcasts, but they won't play. I can't find any reason why. It worked one day, then stopped the next. Sometime back I tried other podcast apps and didn't like the ones I tried, any recommendations? I'm going to try a different app and see if it works. Or suggestions on why a podcast might stop working?

This is the podcast
https://360woodworking.com/podcast/

PocketCasts is my go to on any platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Did Google just recreate Windows Phone rooms?

https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2016/05/introducing-spaces-tool-for-small-group.html

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mr Funkface posted:

I was on a plane yesterday and noticed gogo allow free txt mssgs inflight for TMob if you enable WiFi calling.

I couldn't find any toggle or settings - anyone had any joy with WP10? 640 Dual SIM, TMob, US.

http://www.t-mobile.com/offer/free-in-flight-wifi-texting-uncarrier.html

Last I had seen you need a TMobile flashed device for it to work, but do you have wi-fi calling under SIM settings?

EDIT: Just tried a t-mobile SIM in my unlocked AT&T 640 and I don't see an option at all for wi-fi calling, so I'm guessing wah wah, although it's on fast ring.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 17, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I rolled my 640 back to 8.1 to see if AT&T had finally gotten around to approving the Windows 10 upgrade (they haven't). Man it's crazy how much faster 8.1 is on this device. :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Has anyone done a good job with this? Maybe Palm with Handspring back in the treo days?

Certainly not defending what Microsoft has done, but it seems like there's a long history of people making bad mobile acquisitions (HP with WebOS, Danger, Motorola, etc).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like the official Windows 10 update for AT&T Lumia 640s is out now too.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Chasiubao posted:

:aaaaa:

I'm scared though :ohdear: I'll probably wait till the weekend to try it.

Looks like it's build 10.0.10586.107

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

For those on Verizon sticking with their almost 'classic' Lumia Icon we have some shows news: Verizon is set to update your phone starting tomorrow to Windows 10 Mobile. This follows the recent Windows 10 upgrade of the other Lumia gem the Lumia 735.

http://www.windowscentral.com/verizon-upgrade-lumia-icon-windows-10-mobile-june-23

:aaaaa:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Guillermus posted:

Same here. I just went the Insider route but I hate that. It should have WM10 officially by now and mine isn't even branded.

XL got weirdly left out. I found a super cheap 950 on Swappa so I'm going to give that a whirl for a bit and see how the anniversary update feels before deciding if I want to jump ship to a Nexus phone or not.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Guillermus posted:

The 640XL is on the list of WM10 devices on Microsoft's site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-mobile-upgrade

Still, a device that should have been with WM10 months ago and other stuff is making me think on going back to android when my contract expires this September. Just need Microsoft to release wordflow on android and everything I like from WM will be on android.

Yeah, but lol AT&T. :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like those carriers have had a busy week (sorry 640XL owners):

quote:

The AT&T Lumia 1520 is now able to grab the official Windows 10 Mobile update.

http://www.windowscentral.com/att-lumia-1520-windows-10

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

scavok posted:

Well, I've finally decided to give up on Windows Phone. Loved the Lumia 920, but I have so many regrets buying the 950. The final nail in the coffin, among dozens, is the lovely service in my new apartment, which is bad on every carrier because it's a brick building surrounded by brick buildings. Of course the solution to this is WiFi calling, and 950 actually does have that, but it requires carrier support (AT&T). Which of course means it'll never happen. I wonder if I can make it a few more months until the iphone 7 is released...

Is your 950 an AT&T version phone? I'm actually a bit surprised that hasn't happened, as AT&T supports wi-fi calling on other phones.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Shinjobi posted:

Well the 640 has Win10 and the 640 xl doesn't yet, and those are supposed to be the cheaper models if I remember correctly.

Yeah, AT&T branded 640 is a no brainer and should be dirt cheap.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Tivac posted:

Dropped my 950 in the ocean :downs: After an overnight stay in a bag of rice it still functions, sorta. Camera/flash are basically dead though and that's important.

Where's the best place to get a replacement? Checked Swappa/Expansys/Amazon but not sure what my best option is. Anyone bought a phone off CL and had it turn out ok? Sounds sketchy but the prices are reasonable.

Edit: This has to be a scam, right? http://buybuybox.com/product.php?id=32235

That's about the range of what AT&T 950s are going for on Swappa

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Pipski posted:

What's the current favoured podcasting app for WP10? I've been using Podcast Lounge, but that doesn't synch reliably or download files for offline play without being prompted and babysat. Just bought Podcast+ Pro off the store, but that seemingly won't even install - not sure if that's the app or the shittiness of the Windows app store. Any good alternatives?

Pocketcasts is my go to across platforms

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Does anyones outlook mail live tile actually work properly in 10? It seems like the message count and actual content is almost always out of date (sometimes by days).

The behavior seems similar on release or insider branches.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CubanMissile posted:

I know the Surface 4 is nice, but is the Surface Book? I never see it mentioned in good laptops to buy discussions.

Launch was rough firmware wise, but they've gotten everything squared away now, it's nice hardware, although rumors are a refresh is coming soon.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

Any 650 owners who have compared it to a 950? A 650 is cheaper than repairing my 950's screen and I'm considering spending the least amount of money necessary to have a fully-functional WinPhone (i.e. not 550) until Surface Phone finally debuts in 2030 or whatever. I know the hardware is a big downgrade with no Glance, no Qi and a substantially worse camera but is non-gaming performance alright? I heard the back is grippy rubber?

I played around with a 650 at a Microsoft store yesterday, the screen looks nice and the metal sides feel a lot nicer than the 640. The back didn't feel grippy to me at all, but I could be mis-remembering. Camera is going to be lovely (lots of noise outside of perfect conditions) and performance is going to be a big step back from the 950.

If you're in GODS COUNTRY :911: you can pick up an AT&T 950 off Swappa for $220, which isn't really that much more than the 650.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Stick100 posted:

Also they seem to be having a firesale on 950 AT&T unlocked 950's.

AT&T - Microsoft Lumia 950 (Black) - No Contract
$298.99

The AT&T 950 has been this price for a bit from everyone (AT&T, Best Buy, etc)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

There is this news too, anonymous source saying Lumia line is dead at end of year.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-looks-set-end-sales-lumia-phones-december-director-mentions-surface-phone

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

For people who've jumped ship to Android, what can Cortana actually do on that platform, because on iOS the answer seems to be not much outside of cross platform reminders and standard web searchy stuff.

On iOS it looks like you can access the native phone, messaging and calendar apps, but I hate the stock iOS mail and calendar apps and use Outlook instead, which Cortana can't hook into at all. Any hooks between Cortana and Outlook on Android? Trying to figure out what makes sense platform wise as a long term plan, and while I like the support model, stability and apps on the iOS side, not being all in on the Apple ecosystem kinda sucks, whereas Android seems potentially more open (notification integration with Windows 10, etc).

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

Oh, another issue with switching: I want zero data in iCloud because Apple's off-device security is poo poo, but can I make phone calls if the numbers are only in Outlook? Contact management is another area where Windows and Blackberry are way ahead.

Yeah, both iOS and Android contacts are terrible. You can make calls to contact numbers directly out of the Outlook iOS app, but I don't believe you can edit contacts at all, you still have to use the native contacts app.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Tanith posted:

I still used a L900 until last July. :unsmith:

Through the rose tinted lenses of nostalgia that sounds real nice, I think Lumia 900 was peak Windows Phone for me. :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

cvnvcnv posted:

"Surface Phone not NOT confirmed" is hilarious as it says and means literally nothing, merely not interrupting anything anyone else is saying. Someone very bad at their job was paid very well to say that on behalf of a global corporation.

Bury W10M, along with that person and everyone else who worked on phones.

Maybe they still have all the signs and costumes from the funeral they had for the iPhone when WP7 launched and can just do not over again on the cheap? :)

I'd be shocked if they actually announce any hardware this year, but who knows.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I'll be out at ignite this coming week. Last year they spent a lot of time during the keynote talking about continuum and mobile, will be interesting to see if there's any announcements this year.

Edit:

No mention in first keynote, most demos done with iOS. There's a second keynote coming up, but I'm assuming nothing. There's some token trivial discounts on the existing phones, but nothing worthwhile.

HP does have a big Elite X3 demo setup though, hardware looks really nice!

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 26, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OldPueblo posted:

So yeah that's dumb but also I linked the wrong video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HudXvIC8gps

This one shows the ability to launch Cortana from the lock screen, and Hey Cortana works everywhere in CyanogenOS not just within the app. That's the stuff I wanted. :( I really question now why MS hasn't just created a custom ROM with all embedded services and people can add gapps on their own.

Funny sidenote, my wife asked me if she could switch back to her Lumia 950 since it worked better and she's not one of "those app people". A tiny win for Microsoft. Sadly I had already sold it. :v:

Congrats on killing Cyanogen too :)

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/10/cyanogen-no-mobile-os-modular-android-custom/

I did also like the idea of having an Android version that was more Microsoft centric, but that seems to be dead now.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Partycat posted:

Nope, but the phone was pictured. They may be waiting to flesh things out a bit more where the implication of the phone just being a "smaller device" means they don't have to call it out specifically. That would be a dream world.

I didn't watch the thing but the screenshots I saw looked like the HP elite x3?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Don't worry guys, it'll all be better after mango, Nokia, Windows Phone 8.0, Windows Phone 8.1, Everyone getting the free upgrade to Windows Mobile 10, UWP, surface phone (that's what everyone is waiting for right). :sadpeanut:

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 4, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CharlesM posted:

Another dead Microsoft Band (2), still under warranty, but the store doesn't carry it anymore so I have to send it in to repair. Grr..

Before I finally gave up and went back to Fitbit I had to do the same, it was a smooth experience at least. Still miss the Band 2 though :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

wookieepelt posted:

Any recommendations for podcast apps? I've settled on either podcast lounge or Grover pro but if I'm missing a quality choice, let me know.

Pocket casts is my choice

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

beuges posted:

I renewed my contact exactly a month ago and got a 950 to replace my 930. Selecting the 950 actually decreased my monthly plan cost, compared to all the other handsets.
My wife's contract is now up for renewal. She also has a 930 and likes the interface (she has an iPhone 5 as well as a secondary for her business, and she had an android prior to the 930, so it's not like she has no other points of reference). So I went online to process her renewal and order her a 950 as well, except they're no longer available as an option. Only android and iPhone.
I'm just glad I was able to get the 950 before it got dropped, so I've saved myself from android and ios for another 2 years.

Well, if you need another 950 they're going for 150-175 on swappa right now for an unlocked AT&T model

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CharlesM posted:

RIP another Microsoft Band. I think I'll be in the double-digits soon.

They're still replacing them for you? Not a refund?

I do miss the Band 2 :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Lol, got customer service to cancel my groove subscription and give me a refund, and in the process they also cancelled 1/2 of my other Microsoft services. :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Zarfol posted:

I almost bought a Moto g5 plus as well but shelled out the extra $100 to get a Z Play. Motorolla seems to have near stock Android that runs smoothly and their phones (except the super high end) have really good battery life.

The new Microsoft launcher (formerly arrow launcher) is really nice for Android. Wish it had live tiles though.

I just wish Android wasn't a garbage fire update wise unless you buy a Pixel :(

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mr Funkface posted:

Lumia is back for purchase, apparently:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/26/17054324/microsoft-lumia-windows-phones-store-sales

MS site says not available so who knows, maybe it's just another bait and switch for old time's sake.

"oh poo poo we found a pallet of phones in the warehouse guys"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Edward IV posted:

Yeah, I assume that a bad battery was what was causing stability issues with my 950 XL. However instead of buying a replacement battery, I used the money towards buying a Galaxy S8 Active.

While I have more or less gotten used to Android after sidestepping most of the Samsung bloat, one thing I've only now realized is how limited Cortana is on Android particularly when it comes to sending texts. The texting feature is great to use while driving since I can use it completely through voice control. The first time I try to send a text through Cortana on Android, I get a prompt to select a contact even though I used the voice command and included the contact's name. So I select the prompt only to be greeted by Android's contact list with no voice commands and I think to myself that this may not be very safe to use while driving. I very carefully find my contact and select it and then I'm finally greeted with a prompt to enter my message again with no voice commands except for the keyboard's dictation mode at which point I just gave up and continued driving.

Not a complete deal breaker since I don't use it very often but it is really useful when I get texts while driving. But boy is using Cortana on Android like this really unsafe for driving and quite cumbersome otherwise.

Yeah, this is at least equally bad on iOS as well, I just assumed this was an iOS limitation, but apparently not. Still somehow generally better than Siri though :(