Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Bollocks, I meant the 14th! If it's not here by Tuesday, it will not be delivered in the first half of April as foretold in the BUILD scriptures. So there will be a great earthquake and the sun will become as black as sack cloth, and the moon will become as blood, and the seas will boil and the skies fall.

Yeah, I'll go get a life now. But I will be disappointed. My HTC 8X has started playing up this past week, saying it's got no SIM card when it clearly has. I'm hoping it's just a stupid temporary software glitch that's appeared - a power cycle picks it up again. But it's recurrent.

That's more a hardware issue with the Sim card than anything..

They say to put a piece of tape on the back of the sim to make it a bit thicker to fix it. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hmm. I have a Unbranded HTC 8X and no Cortana. :(

I don't have a Sim (Sprint) so I wonder if it being on no carrier at all is what's causing it to not have Cortana enabled.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea my Unbranded 8X will not get Cortana. Under Language the Phone Language:Enabled is stuck under English (UK) and I cannot remove it even with US English above it. :argh:

However my sisters 8X worked perfectly but it was near 11PM last night and I needed sleep.

I also realllly wish Microsoft would just Glance left, then right, then just put WP7's Zune Music back into WP and call it an upgrade.

Hell the Original Zune's style and layout was near perfect, and the WP7 version worked drat good and still works fine even after the transition. Why the hell did any code have to change since then?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Does anyone have any sort of insider hit or rumor on what/when Sprint will get a new Windows Phone? Now with Nokia being Microsoft, I wonder if they will ever pick up something like the 1020/1520/930, whatever the hell Microsoft has on it's plate.

I am dying for a Windows Phone after playing with 8.1 on my Sisters 8X which just runs circles around my Android 4.3 EVO LTE. A 1520 would really be the bees knees for me with that screen and camera.

If nothing is on the radar for the next year or more, I may have to break down and pick up that new HTC M8 with the Harman/Kardon upgrade. Just wish the camera anywhere near as good as a Nokia's.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Google crap doesn't even play nice with their own crap, I click on an address in a text message and it wants to open maps, in the browser. Click a YouTube link and its a 50/50 on if it will want to let me use a browser only, or use the YouTube app.

Ooo Got an avatar... On a comment I posted in a thread that is 1000+ post past. It must have had a lasting impression.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Picked up a Lumia Icon for my Mom on Mothers Day to replace the aging yet still going Trophy. In the store I got it setup with 8.1 and every app and setting I could see her using. We will see how she likes it, and I definitely need to get a case/protector on it since it feels great, but is drat slick and feels easy to drop.
Haven't messed with the default music app yet as I have yet to apply the 1year Xbox Music pass to her account yet, but the Nokia Music Mix app is pretty slick and has been pulling up some good songs based on the artist she picked.

Overall it is one hell of a device and the camera is as fantastic as I expected. Even she can finally take some stable beautiful pics (the 5Mp on the Trophy was showing its age when new).

I will be keeping an eye on the battery life usage. I did a hard reset right after installing the 8.1 update just to make sure it was as clean of an install as possible.

They were pushing for me to jump ship from Sprint but they couldn't throw me any plan near the price I pay, and even with Sprint lovely 3G in my area (and the potential of being throttled as a top 5% er which I more than likely will be), I still was able to pull down 5G of data last month which would throw me way over the 2G plan they were trying to push me onto... (My phone usually hovering around .1-.4mbit the entire time.. and I was not Tethering.)

But the 10Mbit LTE was nice.

Now why in the hell can broadband companies be just a little less evil, and make it unlimited data capped at say 3-5Mbit speeds? What the hell is useful about anything faster on a phone especially when you can only use say a 10mbit connection (fully utilized) for about 34minutes before blowing through your 2G Monthly cap?

I guess it comes down to pure money making, but man talk about putting a huge roadblock on the internet and there is no end in sight for us in the US (and even worse for Canada I hear). Funny how even stuck with 1.5Mbit DSL at my home, I still pulled down nearly 100G in the last week running a Steam reinstall on my laptop.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

When in the world did they change the text input cursor from showing up above your finger to easily place it (ala WP7+) to the new lovely method of right below where you can't see under your finger (ala poo poo Android)?

Why in the hell would they go to a inferior method since it makes you have to tap around until you actually get to the space you were shooting for, vs the old method that had it easily snap to text, and being above your finger you could actually see wtf you cursor is doing.

WTF is with this regressing tech BS that keeps happening to this fine OS. Dammit! :psyduck:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So I have a 1 1/2 year old Samsung ATIV that's having some weird battery issues. I'll give it a full charge, and 10 hours later it will say 70% left or whatever. 2 minutes later, the battery is sub 10% and complaining, and often will start boot-looping.

Every now and then, like this morning, it'll last 3 hours before dieing on me.

I'm a pretty light user, so besides a few texts and a couple minutes in twitter, the phone's been idle with the screen off.

Is there an app that I can use to see what is using the battery, or to see if the battery is just dead?

Sounds like a bad battery as that is similar to what a laptop battery will do near the end of its life. The Ativ's battery is replicable right?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Lumia 520. Great phone for the Price if you need it "now".

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Wouldn't it be easy for Microsoft to swing the Ad system over to Bing sine they are a Search/Ad part of the company? Being a Microsoft thing alone doesn't make sense of course.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

+1 for a Zune and ZuneHD fan and still baffled as to why Microsoft thought it was important or a good idea to kill the name, brand, style, software.

You had a fantastic piece of hardware. (HD)
You had a fantastic piece of software. (Zune Desktop, awesome look and style and now playing screensaver with cool text effects, good functionality, wireless syncing (Why is this not a thing today but was from WP5-7.5?))
You had a fantastic music based social network. (not sure how fantastic it really was, but it was unique and people used it, plus I liked the plays count and such as well as ability to share music with other ZuneHD's)
You had a fantastic mobile system and solution. (It freaking worked and it worked well, on both WP7+ and Zune)
You had a freaking 3D interface similar to the "New" Fire Phone. (Tilt your ZuneHD around, it was pretty snazzy)

Yet with all this and the dedicated users that have loved both Zune and Windows Phone, Microsoft almost looks like it wants to give up and just port all their unique software and features to the other devices even after pulling in Nokia and its own Phone hardware... I really hope the new CEO can do something to really downsize and reorg the entire structure to be more like WP7's focus but with speed we were seeing right around the 8.1 RTM release.

It seems like 8.1 was announced months ago, just like Mango and the like, and we are in freaking tech limbo till Christmas again. It is pathetic.

While I still dislike Android, my EVO LTE has actually been, reliable with the latest 4.3 update from HTC, and I am tempted to just stick with a HTC One or something down the road as there is still no Sprint cooperation and nothing new on the horizon for at least another year or more...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I have been using Android 4.3-4.4 recently on my EVO LTE since Sprint is still... Sprint. (No new Windows Phones for well, ever?) and while It has been easy to get all the apps you want, I really miss my WP 7.8 style of interaction. Everything was built in and just worked. And whoever says Android is better and handling Ram is full of it. My Arrive was way better at handeling Web Page loads and multitasking then my EVO ever has even with 1G vs 512MB. I seriously can not run Maps and any music app for a semi extended period of time without Maps eating the Music App eventually. Same goes for Chrome almost always eating so much memory that it eats the Keyboard's memory and makes it impossible to actually type something in a forum for example. My most powerful Android device is an Nvidia Shield and it does work quite well with 2G of Memory and a beefy Quad Core, but there is something sad about needing that much power to equal the reliable use of an OS vs one that was efficient on a S1 Snapdragon and 512MB of ram. Even the HTC 8X handles everything very well with the same core hardware specs of my EVO.

Newer devices with 2-3G ram should probably be ok, but man has it been frustrating even with the improvements over time.

I still hate the way Android doesn't flow the same throughout the OS whether it is Sense or Raw Kit Kat style, and I hate seeing how Windows Phone seems to be following in the same lines of having to go from somewhere in the core OS to an app, to another app, etc to get something simple done or look at a picture/link etc. So many taps to get to the same content you only had to swipe to once on WP 7.5/8 in the past.

It is hard to really describe as I just recently am trying out a 4.4.4 Rom after being on the most recent 4.3 Sense 5.5 rom, but while Android does continue to improve, the reliance on separate apps for everything, and how nothing feels unified with stuff changing after a few months with each major release whether it be OS or App, really sort of gets old. I can see why Google is trying to do the more unified Theme style with Android L down the line.

However even they can't seem to make an e-mail app worth a drat vs. the ease of use Windows Phone's works.

With Android, you have ALL the apps, but I still miss the Ease of actually living with Windows Phone and how everything just worked... Which it sounds like they have managed to screw up with 8.1 in a way and I have been seeing somewhat with my mom's Icon. It still works, but the changes really just are frustrating.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 30, 2014

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I really wish Pebble would make an official app for Windows Phone now that 8.1 pretty much fixed all the Notification API problems (or so I believe, I could be wrong as I don't develop).

Also isn't AT&T getting the 930 itself?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Drastic Actions posted:

So the Xbox Music team is opening up their APIs even more, with access to music streaming and other authenication features. (Technically it was announced at Build, but it's more available now)

I'm really tempted to create an Awful Music® app, so we can have a music player that can use Xbox Music and won't be totally crap. If anyone has any design ideas or features they want, let me know. If I actually do start something, I'll throw something up in Project.log.

Awful DJ® that picks tracks based on the threads you are reading. :getin:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Drastic Actions posted:

I bought a Lumia 521, so I could have an actual Windows Phone for development again. I figured I would go with a cheap one since if I target that, and it runs really well, then it should run awesome on higher end stuff. And man is it low end. I'm not accustom to having such a low end phone so it's weird not having things like a front facing camera, or a good screen. But for what I need, and for what most Windows Phone users have, this works just fine. I'm upgrading it to 8.1 right now.

The best thing about it is the Camera. It's way better than the HTC One M8... but that's not saying much :v:.

EDIT: I've made some more advancements on Awful Music, recorded off of said Lumia 521.

I gotta make my lazy image loading stuff work better, you should not see any popups like that :v:.
It does play music now, with background audio. I have a very very basic UI that supports it, but it's still mostly to keep hacking away at the back end stuff. The biggest idea I have for the UI at the moment is to make sure the music controls are always on screen, no matter where you are in the app. The XAML pages are all in a root frame, with the controls at the bottom. Right now it's just the default Media element controls, but I'm cooking up my own right now. I'm also thinking about making them expandable, so if, say, you're driving, or want big buttons and sliders to change tracks or the time in the song, you'll be able to.

I like the big artists artwork though. I really wanted to show that off :3:

I like it already. The Artwalk almost brings the old Zune look back as well.

Rip off all you can of the Zune "Screensaver" effect since that was really good looking and xbox music does nothing but remind me how good Zune used to be and how ugly and bad the music app is now.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So now we already have a GDR1 for 8.1 coming our way....

Has 8.1 actually officially made it to anything outside of the 630 series yet? The 930 isn't even out yet is it?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea that 18K hit seems pretty harsh if most of it is the Nokia side.

Though I wonder how many of the 18K will just get hired back once the reorg is in place.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

This goes back to Windows Phone 7. It worked, the Bing Maps worked extremely well, Music worked well, Wireless Syncing worked well, Contacts worked well with all the integration, etc.

Why in the hell did everything at the base get worse as the OS matured!? Sure the apps and functionality improved, but the CORE OS seems to have almost gotten worse while it got a few new features down the line.

I understand API and core OS code changes and such, but why in the hell could they not make sure they copied the core os Functionality over and made sure it worked AS GOOD or better, then gone from there?

Frik when you tapped the screen (annoying but whatever) to get Bing maps to tell you the next turn, it paused your song, told you exactly what you needed to know in a good clear voice, and then resumed your music exactly where it was left off at. Every other GPS app I have seen so far, either slightly lowers your music but not enough, or just tries to talk behind it and is completely inaudible. (This goes for both WP and Android experience so far).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Just incase anyone wants a cheap 920, apparently SlickDeals has a deal on Unlocked Refurbs for $140.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Jonah Hex posted:

It is a developer phone with our next Snapdragon chip in it. Cannot say too much about it at this point.

Can you just let us know if the CPU starts with an 8 and ends in a 5?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Naffer posted:

http://www.wpcentral.com/bing-vision-lost-all-features-qr-scanning
Seriously, Microsoft needs to stop removing features with updates. I'm still smarting over the gutting of Maps from WP7 to WP8.

Same. WTF?!

They took a perfectly good OS with WP7.5~7.8, and keep making it worse before anything equal or better is anywhere close or even on the horizon...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So my mom's Icon with the DP I think has the latest 8.1 update, but still says Nokia Black. Has Cyan still not been pushed out to Icons, or is being on the DP causing the update to not show up?

Also she has been having a hell of a time with the Camera. After using it for a while, she will go to use it after waking the phone again, and the screen will be black for either the Camera itself, or the Home Screen (so no buttons work except the task manager will come up, showing the home screen has a black preview, and you cannot close it of course.) Only a reboot fixes this but it is becoming a giant pain in the rear end, especially since the camera is like 90% of what she uses this phone for.

Sad how there were never issues with her HTC Trophy and Windows Phone 7.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So is anyone hoping that Microsoft announcement coming up with the big ol 1020 lense as an O in the text is in regard to say a 1030 or something? Or would they really tease something like that, only to announce the still pretty lovely 730 with a special Selfie Cam? :negative:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hey at least Sprint was offering something different then just "Get an iPhone" like all the others. :v:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea I was a big Fanboy back in the WP7 era, then Microsoft Killed off Zune and neutered their very good music service in prep for their still horrible on PC and Phone replacement of Xbox music. I still have a Zune pass and plan to keep it, but man it sucks compared to what it was.

Then WP7 got 7.8 which was good, but WP8 came out, and while it brought new features, talk about a slap in the face to users who were early adopters or just got a "The Beta Test is Over" Lumia at that time.

Then 8.1 comes out and offers more new features, but also removes even more core features that made WP7 so unique and nice to use.

8.1 Update 1 continues down that path.

Meanwhile, new devices are trickling out at a snails pace and flagship phones pop up here and there on a single carrier, and Nokia is pretty much the only real name in town. (HTC One W8 soon, Samsun Ativ S/SE/SSE/SSEESSE within the US only mostly). And all the Nokia employees getting laid off, have to be really pissed considering they probably though they were secure as Microsoft's new Mobile division. I really hope they can get ReHired under the new Org just as a restructured position shuffle or something. (Otherwise Finland has every right to be pissed).

Android has slowly pulled me in a bit, I still hate many of the interface elements that either Google nor OEM's can seam to program around and not make a blatant pain in the rear end, however even simple things that I liked like copy and paste and text selection in WP7, has been broken to be more like Android in WP8.1 so I can't even go back to something I liked because Microsoft keeps breaking the Unique features and designs they create only to remove them down the line for the same crap that already exist and is not an improvement.

The same can be said with movement in Windows 8. I enjoyed 8 even though a lot of people couldn't adapt. 8.1 Pretty much fixed all the PC interactivity issues I saw that did make working on a PC with a M/KB but then 8.1 Update 1 came out and broke the visual design even more and soon probably with whatever next visual changes come, or Windows 9, we will be back to the same old Windows 7+ Interface (depending on device) and God know what will still work, and what will be worse off since apparently Microsoft got Spooked from any good Visual Innovation after Metro got shot to poo poo from the masses that still used XP.

I still love using Windows 8.1, but man everything else around it that keeps changing for the worse keeps pissing me off. There is only so long someone can hold out and keep saying "It will get better" before burn out. Don't even get me started on the whole Mapped Drives to a NAS share bullshit they broke in Update 1 that requires some stupid registry fix or weird playing with UAC for programs to work again.

gently caress I miss Zune.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Exactly. While we were hoping and trying back with WP7, Since WP8, it has been an uphill battle that Microsoft keeps tripping itself on again and again.

I have yet since 2010 see Microsoft Announce, and Launch a new Phone or Update that doesn't take >6 Months from announcement to actual availability. You would think Owning Nokia now they could actually do it for once.

I am still a fan, but I am on Sprint, and the G3 is 10X nicer than a Samsung Ativ S or the HTC 8XT and I really doubt we are getting an HTC W8.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Thinking back to when Windows Mobile had a lot of the market share before iOS even became a big player, if they would have just ReSkinned Windows Mobile 7, and ran it on the hardware that had just started to roll out with the like of the HD2 and such, it could have maintained a presence and had nearly all the features Android has now.

Instead they did a reboot, that looked good, but was way more limited, then hey, lets Reboot again!

:negative:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

That's exactly what Windows 6.5 (I assume you meant Windows Mobile 6, not 7) was - a basic reskinning. And it was loving awful, because the underlying OS & API's had barely changed. So go into settings and especially apps you would be hit with the arachaic Windows 6x interface which focused on pen input. You couldn't bring Windows 6.x into the modern world with just a reskinning. A teardown was necessary, but as usual MS somewhat gets the strategy but fucks up the implementation details so badly that having any sort of "vision" really doesn't matter.

Dumbest thing they did during that reboot was to focus almost entirely on consumer needs and completely ignore the enterprise.

Actually there was an Internal build of Windows Mobile 7 Before the Windows Phone 7 Metro style and complete rewrite happened. Only a little leaked out but it looked promising while still having a bit of the old Windows Mobile feel.

Sure it was still clunky, but after a few true build it might have come around. The thing is even though the apps were a throw back to the old style a lot of the time, at least it had a pretty big selection of apps for the OS to start with. Going to Windows Phone 7, Everything started fresh which would have been ok, if they would have just ran with it and not Rebooted 2 years later, again.

And another thing from Microsoft that has been getting to me, IE11 on Desktop. Why in the hell can they say it can handle 100 tabs, yet when I go a single one over 35 every single tab stops rendering the page that was already there so it becomes a blank screen. You can drop down from full screen and it might appear, but usually it is just broken until you close enough tabs or the one memory hog tab and things start rendering again. WTF I thought we were past this after IE8,9,10. :psyduck:

Giving Opera Next a shot, so far no issues. Opera was my go to standby back when I was stuck on an XP work computer.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 16, 2014

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

One thing of note at least, technically it is the highest Spec Windows Phone on the market right now minus the camera. Sadly it is only on one carrier, why? when the M8 is on them all, who knows.

And talk about a mouth full for a name. In a time when the HTC One W8 would have fit perfectly at least for now.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Got my hands on an HTC One4Win for my sister to replace her randomly shutting off 8X. This thing is definitely in the lead as far as top Windows Phone in concerned. Compared to my mom's Icon, the overall feel and design with the metal construction does feel really nice and solid, and while the camera is not better, it works well. What is nice is the Cyan update is already installed so everything works great with the DotView case and little changes like tap to wake.

Also that HTC TV app is actually really slick. I never knew we had 1/2 the channels and shows playing on Dish lol.

Boomsound with the new Spotify app also sounds and works great. I also can say I like the windows phone Spotify app layout better than the Android one.

Now if Sprint would stop being stupid and also pick up the dang phone they might actually sell well since it wouldn't be a budget crap Spec Windows Phone.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 28, 2014

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Anonononomous posted:

Has anyone had hands on experience and want to tell me if I should get a One on an Icon? I'm on Verizon, so those are my options. So far as I can tell, the nice things about the One are the faster processor (how much of a difference does that make?), the slightly bigger battery, expandable memory and nifty stuff like the IR blaster, the dot cases and the metal finish. But the Icon has a way better camera, an apparently better screen, the better Nokia apps (?), and nifty wireless charging.

Also, does anyone know if Verizon has gotten better at pushing updates? My current phone is a Trophy that I got (I think) after 7.8 came out but I got it with 7.5 and it's never updated. I don't want to get stuck with 8 on an Icon if I go that way. Or is that an HTC issue and a reason to go with the Icon?

I have both in my family. The camera on the Icon is top notch, but the overall phone feel and build actually is better on the One. The biggest gripe about the One though is no camera button. Why when this requirement is removed, nobody thinks it is a good idea to keep one for feature sake is beyond me as it is a big complaint for users that had one, and now don't.

Outside of that the Nokia apps are neat, but some of the HTC ones like Blinkfeed and even the HTC TV remote app are pretty dang sweet. I never knew some of the shows we got on Dish till I loaded that thing up and it shows everything that's playing and how far through it is.

Also HTC may have a bad rap in the past, but I feel with a premium device like their ONE, that things shouldn't fall behind like they did with the 8X and almost all their other devices around that time. They have a great record with the One M7 and M8 so far with Android updates so, yea. Maybe they have learned a thing or two (unlike Samsung/LG).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Joe also mentioned in Twitter there should be a update to Dev Preview this week with HTC Support, Cyan Ramp Up, and the like so hopefully something good comes out this week.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So catching up in here, I see a ton of Lumia talk but has anyone else here gotten their hands on the HTC ONE M8 for Windows? Currently it sits as the top hardware for Windows Phone right now, and HTC has been good about its updates (and Verizon surprisingly) that it has gotten most of the Cyan updates ahead of the Lumia Icon my mom has.

The only complaint I have gotten so far about it is the lack of a dedicated camera button. Otherwise BlueTooth works great in a 2013 Kia Sorento, The DotView case got a upgrade showing a background on the dot screen, and I have not heard of any crashes, lockups, or weird WiFi issues yet. The 8X previous to this had the same random shutoff issue due to the sim card, but since that was fixed (scotch tape fix yay) it also has been a rather good device, now with the Cyan update from the Dev Preview pushed out, it got much better battery life too.

My guess is unless Microsoft has some Flagships cooking up in house, it will be the next HTC Flagship device that ships in both an Android and Windows Phone flavor.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Dr Tran posted:

Have you used Here Drive? On my car (Sony head unit, Lumia 925), driving instructions sound like phone calls. It's awful and I just leave it unpaired all the time. How is it on the M8?

I'll have to check on that and report back.

Phone calls are clear as a bell though and users on the other end say its like they are talking to you in the seat next to you, so that's a plus.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Sisters M8 for Windows got the .107 update and had all her apps say Pending for what seemed like forever. Decided to back everything up and do a hard reset but man this thing feels like a Pig. Took forever to do the reset, forever to finish installing the initial apps, and everything else seems to just be laggy as hell. Wonder what gives because the M8 is literally the 3rd most powerful Windows Phone out still behind the 950/XL isn't it?

Also for whatever reason it didn't seem to make a backup newer than September so I started fresh, and while that seems to be ok, not a single SMS Message from the cloud has downloaded. Anyone else know why or have this sort of issue before? Do I need to do yet another Hard Reset, Restore to 8.1 then back to .107?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

You have to admit one thing, that HP x3 looks like it is packing every single checkbox there is for a high end phone outside of forward facing stereo speakers and a removable battery (though at 4150mah it shouldn't be a problem). It's nice to see someone take what Microsoft slowly eked out for the 950/XL and curbstomped it as far as features go. It would be nice to see HTC and hell Microsoft do something similar with the Surface Phone everyone that is a WP/Mobile fan is begging for, but Microsoft seems to be completely ignoring or just dragging rear end on actually producing.

I do agree and have been wondering when they will make a x86 version of Windows 10 Mobile and just Shoehorn it into something like the ASUS ZenPhone line with the Intel Atom CPU's. Doing that should allow it to easily run all the x86 apps you could want and make continuum useful being able to run full x86 versions of say Adobe Photoshop, Games, etc since that Atom chip isn't a slouch on Windows 10 Tabs that use it.

That's the logical thing to do, but this is Microsoft of course, so they may just let Continuum flounder and die like they have with so many other great features and Ideas :(

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Kidney Stone posted:

:siren: Public service announcement! :siren:

If you have a Lumia 550, and you are on the Windows Insider Fast Ring - do not install that latest "Redstone" update. You'll loose the ability to charge your phone.

Of course if you do it like me, you'll end up having to use the recovery tool to get it up and running again - hopefully you'll be able to do that before running out of battery.

Fixed

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Is there anything on the Horizon coming to Verizon/Sprint in the WP realm? It's starting to be a joke how bad the hardware schedule has been for WP since Windows 10 dropped. A 640 is not an upgrade/replacement for a 930/Icon or a M8 for Windows. :argh:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm a little confused on how to do that given my Live login seems to be my gmail account.

If you check your Accounts under Settings, what service are you logged into (gMail? Live/Outlook/ etc?) And are any of them syncing contacts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Clanpot Shake posted:

On my 1020 I have a Microsoft account and a gmail account and they both have the same name, my gmail account, and there's never been any problem syncing. I literally just got the 5X and have only set up my gmail account on it.

I'm thinking I was very confused when I set up my Microsoft account.

Well you can technically use another e-mail account to log into a Microsoft account, however whichever one you have been (hopefully have been) syncing your contacts with on your 1020, you need to setup to sync on your 5X. Once you do that all your contacts, etc should sync up and be peachy.