Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
If you're willing to spend that much, I know the 925 has been on sale before for $215 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Welp, picked up the 625 since work is going to comp me part of the price for doing some coding on it. I know it's not a high end phone or anything, but really I just need something I can take calls on and hack away at.

Really dig WP8, just pulling up the 8.1 update now. Already had people tell me it was a weirdo move. I guess going from iPhone to WP is like french kissing Bill Gates over the open casket of Steve Jobs :(

Is there a dedicated WP app development thread? I saw some questions posed in here so I guess if there isn't anything better I'll throw them here as they come up. The only one I really have right now is whether it's possible to initiate a VPN connection from C# code.

Was really happy to realize that the DreamSpark subscription I picked up provides me a year of gratis app store access :cool:

FYI, Newegg has the 925 for $200 right now, no idea if that supports the bands you need or if you can order from Newegg, though. You'll get a much better camera and screen at the very least over the 625, which might be nice if you decide you like WP enough to use it for awhile.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Maneki Neko posted:

Looks like a picture of LGs return to Windows Phone has leaked, supposedly for Verizon:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/13/5712798/lg-uni8-windows-phone-8-1-device-rumor

Can't be, it doesn't say Verizon anywhere on the front.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Oh wow, this is the bee's knees. Thanks!

Looking for a replacement for my OG iPad and was thinking about a Windows RT tab and the lack of a good youtube thing was kind of holding me back. Looks like this may put me over the edge :)

I don't think there's any reason at all to go for RT over a full version. I don't think ARM/RT has any better battery life or is any cheaper than similar full Windows 8 tablets.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Lumia 520/521 is decent, but it feels a bit slow loading apps and webpages and has a terrible camera. It wouldn't hurt to grab one at a Best Buy or Walmart, where you should have at least a 14 day return window, and keep an eye open for deals for a Lumia 925 online for $200 during that time.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
No big deal. Developers will just start making high quality paid apps that WP users will be happy to buy. Except people in emerging markets where WP actually has any traction are among the least likely to buy apps or even be able to. This article has some interesting stats about credit card use in such markets, just ignore the author trying to spin it as a reason WP could outcompete Android there.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I can't wait for the Yezz Billy 4.7!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, can't be too harsh. Show me any other music app that can successfully change artists without breaking, it's an almost intractable problem.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I use the Nokia MixRadio app. Works really well and the tile is a pretty pink. :allears:

Yeah, I don't even have an Xbox. So while I appreciate some people may get some use out of an app to control music playing through their Xbox, I don't get much use out of Xbox Music.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Edward IV posted:

Is it bad that also I'm looking at the Moto G or Nexus 5 as supplementary smartphones?

Bad for Windows Phone and Microsoft, not bad for you. If what you have isn't working, why would it be bad for you to look for something that works better?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Are there 3rd party music apps you can use?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RasputinVarez posted:

OK, after posting on the Android thread apparently Android has never had any optimization problems and has never been a RAM hog...

So after some more research, I think I might be going with the Nokia Lumia 920. I can get one for $250 which is $50 over my original budget but still quite reasonable

720p screen (well 1280 x 768 becasue of the digital button thing windows has) 1GB of RAM, and whilst it doesn't have expandable storage it does have 32GB built in and works with windows 8.1

Is this a good phone?

Haha, I sincerely asked what you'd heard about RAM problems and then offered you legit recommendations. Oh well. If you're saying that Android caches stuff to RAM and you're worried about 80%+ RAM being "in use" or whatever, you need to realize that RAM not being used is being wasted. Task killers or other poo poo that boots stuff out of RAM is literally doing harm to battery and performance, not good. Here's an article from 2011 explaining how Android uses RAM and why you shouldn't care about it at all, and keep in mind it's only gotten better since then. As far as I know, WP and iOS work the same way with respect to RAM, though they both restrict active background processes more.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

Would having the Lumia 1520 in an armband during a workout be an absolutely crazy thing to do? This is maybe the only thing preventing me from ordering one.

The only way to know for sure is to make a cardboard cutout with the dimensions of the 1520 and give it a shot. It would be best to fill it with tightly packed sand in a plastic baggy or something like that so you can match the weight decently well, too. I'd recommend giving it at least a week or so, as first impressions might be misleading (in either direction, as it could be something you get used to or that aggravates you more over time).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Maneki Neko posted:

Well TMobile 635 has an actual date now, still not poo poo for 8.1 devices from AT&T though. :(

http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/07/01/power-packed-lumia-635-launches-u-s/

"The successor to the Lumia 521..." Uhhh :confused: I'd assume the 63x would be the successor to the 62x. Is there no 53x planned?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Cheers for this. I hope the Moto G gets Android L.

Continuing my WP/Android comparison:

1. Maps – with Google Maps deleting history has to be done one item at a time. HERE Maps is much more user-friendly, I find.
2. No offline maps in Android - this is a huge thing for me as my data cap is only 1GB.
3. Battery is still eaten alive when using GPS during navigation. I was hoping there would be some power efficiency improvements over this past 2 years.

There is offline caching in Maps, but there's some unintuitive way to do it. Alternatively, I found out today that if you search for a route and lose service, it still works nicely if you don't need to change the route.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

Just get another phone, for fucksake.

People are doing this when they run into all the little annoyances :confused:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RasputinVarez posted:

I think the only thing really holding Windows phones back is the lack of apps, but as it gets more apps, more users ect, it'll enter a kind of critical mass and be a properly mainstream phone os and more app companies will look at dual triple platform development.

This would be nice, but we've been waiting for that with Windows Phone since 2010. You shouldn't hold your breath. If the core OS or hardware is a nice enough improvement to you over iOS/Android options, to outweigh the app lack, then stick with it and be happy. But counting on the app situation to reach parity with iOS/Android anytime soon is just going to leave you frustrated and disappointed.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

OldPueblo posted:

I actually wonder if the last piece of that puzzle was universal apps. Now companies may realize their apps will work not just on windows phone but also on desktops and windows tablets, so they have more motivation I'm guessing. It's that wider audience they've been waiting for.

We'll see. The Windows 8 app store is even worse than Windows Phone, so I'm not so confident. You'd think two years would be enough time for companies to realize they would (theoretically) have a huge audience if they put out a Windows 8 app, and yet here we are. Of course, more than 3/4 of Windows computers are on XP or 7, and Windows 8 adoption is slower than Vista's was, so the whole supposed advantage of universal apps (wider audience) isn't really much of an advantage and probably won't be for another couple years.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
HTC One M8 with Windows Phone available today, Verizon exclusive. Also, the little embedded flowchart makes me laugh. If and only if you already use all Microsoft's services, get the Windows version; else, get the Android version.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Exclusive to a single network. Worked well for all the other Windows Phones they tried it with.

The Windows version sells minuscule numbers compared to the globally available Android version, HTC never makes a Windows Phone again having proved Windows Phone doesn't sell (not that they're wrong).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dr Tran posted:

Should have called it the HTC One W8

HTC One W8 For a Better Phone :twisted:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Just realized the 630 doesn't have any led for a flash/flashlight... What the gently caress?

Budget phone. Doesn't have an ambient light sensor for auto brightness either.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I always have my ambient lightsensor turned off. The thing drives me crazy. I'm reading at perfect when suddenly everything either brightens or darkens depending on the clouds in the sky. It's distracting.

That just means your phone had bad auto-brightness software/settings. Most don't.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

loquacius posted:

It sounds eerily similar to the main differentiating feature of the Fire Phone, actually, so I'd 100% believe that Amazon put a stop to it.

I'm actually not sure of any situation where this sentence applies, come to think of it -- it certainly wasn't MS's idea to break the functionality of basically every Google service on WP.

Wasn't this Google announcing they'd be switching to using calDAV/cardDAV well in advance of flipping the switch, Microsoft doing nothing about it, then getting up in arms because Google didn't let Microsoft dictate what they would do with their own services? Eventually then Microsoft relented and added support that they should have done already? Looks like Google services on Android use calDAV/cardDAV, so how exactly was this something wrong with what Google did?

Let me know if I missed something, but it looks like Google wanted to standardize how they have stuff connect to their services, there were no problems on iOS or Android with the switch, just Microsoft inexplicably burying their head in the sand to the detriment of Windows Phone users.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

loquacius posted:

(a) Microsoft didn't really have a reason to support Cal/CardDAV before Google switched, meaning "inexplicably burying their heads in the sand" is kind of a stretch on this one; (b) Gmail played perfectly nicely with Exchange before and the functionality had to be explicitly deactivated; (c) given Google's track record of shutting down every WP YouTube or Google Maps client they can track down I'm not really inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. :shrug:

(also point (c) was more what I was talking about than Gmail)

(like, their stated reason for not writing their own YouTube client for WP was "not enough marketshare, sorry", then when MS made one themselves Google shut it down because it didn't use API calls which Google had made it actually impossible for Microsoft to use)

a) By bury their heads in the sand, I meant Google announced they would make this change, Microsoft knew about it in time to do something about it, and just ignored it.

b) See, from my point of view, Google has way too many side projects and poorly documented shortcuts/workarounds and redundant products/services and ways of doing things. It looks like they wanted to standardize some of that, which is a good thing. Why should they have a special workaround for company/OS x, when that company could use the same standard that others and Google themselves use?

It's like if Microsoft included Google Wave or Google Buzz integrated into WP, then Google said we're getting rid of these for our next soon-to-be-abandoned project Hangouts and Google+, and Microsoft didn't do anything about it in the months or years between that announcement and when the services were shut down. Now WP users lose out because Microsoft is slow or dumb or incompetent.

c) This sounds like the more legitimate gripe. I expect it has to do with ads on YouTube and Google not wanting to let people access it "for free" when they want to be serving ads. Frustrating to the users, for sure.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

vigorous sodomy posted:

Man that's really obnoxious.

Because your contacts are all in an easily editable place and if your phone or SIM card dies, your contacts are all still safe (no more Facebook "everyone text me your number, my phone died" posts)?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

OldPueblo posted:

Forgive me for asking this question, but I figured it would be answered better here than in the Android thread. My SIL has a 925 with a cracked screen (still useable) and she is considering trying Android again after not having used it since gingerbread. If she stayed with windows phone she is tempted to just pick up a budget phone like Lumia 520/Blu Win Jr type stuff. She just wants small/light form factor and is tired of shattering higher end phones with her petite butter fingers. What she/I am wondering is what would be the equivalent on the Android side, and when I say equivalent I mean like $100 or less but still runs fully updated OS (kitkat), no major compromises, etc. I wanted to ask here because I'm not sure the other thread would know about the value WP has in the sub $100 segment. So far it looks like a Moto E maybe, or a used Moto G? (AT&T)

Yep, those are really the only two you should consider. There is nothing in the $50-60 range like Lumia 520/521 go for these days. In general, a Moto G is considered worth the extra money compared to the E, but you have to go up to the Moto G LTE if you want an SD card. A Moto E only has 4GB internal storage, so big apps simply aren't feasible, though media can be stores on the SD card. Either one should give the best performance and chance of future updates you'll find in a budget Android. Good battery life, too. Also the Moto G just saw an updated model with a bigger display, so be sure to go for one of the earlier versions.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

loquacius posted:

It could, possibly, but there's really no reason to think that aside from it being a thing that happened before. It could also be that they're holding off on a new flagship because they're changing CEOs again, or because they're busy dealing with anti-monopoly laws in Europe, or because they don't want to distract from the upcoming launch of Windows XP. Those are all things that have happened before too.

As people have discussed, there were good reasons for the previous reboots (there's no way any device built for WM6.5 would be a good experience on WP7 or vice versa, and they probably should have jumped straight to the NT kernel from there so the second reboot wouldn't have been necessary, but they didn't, so they had to do it later) but they no longer apply and there is not presently a reason to think another one is coming.

The hover-hand tech not being ready sounds likely to me (reminds me of the whole Surface Mini thing), and is disappointing, but launching a new flagship phone based around cool-sounding future tech that isn't actually functional is more of a Samsung thing really :shrug:

Though I didn't experience them first hand, looking back at Windows Mobile, it looks like many phones were not upgraded from one version to the next then, either (or am I wrong about this?). Expectations may have been different then, of course, but it looks like Microsoft has a pretty established track record of not being good about updates.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

JayKay posted:

I call shenanigans on this until we get more than a single tweet.

If you shop phones online and filter by Windows Phone as OS, Verizon lists the HTC One with Windows, Samsung ATIV SE, HTC 8X, and Lumia 928. If you search for Lumia Icon, you find some accessories and help manuals, but no phone for sale.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Can you please make this a toxx clause?

"Of course they're going to update WP7 phones to WP8, they wouldn't alienate all their staunchest supporters and early adopters like that!"

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Angry Fish posted:

Okay guys, I'm ready to jump.

My wife has had a Nokia 521 from work for about a year now, and I've been using it more than she has.

I use T-Mobile because it's the only carrier I can burn through 90 gigs in a month for $70, and I'd like to stay that way. Will I be happy with a $549 Nokia 1020?

Not for $550, no. Should be able to get it for $220-300 on eBay.

Angry Fish posted:

The Microsoft Store says it runs on Band 1 LTE, which is T-Mobile's territory in the US. I'm just wondering if it is a smart purchase given the other hardware out there...

As for bands, if you're in a major metro area, you will probably be ok. I think the rule of thumb is if you don't have T-Mobile LTE in your area, the Lumia 1020 will be stuck on 2G/EDGE. I think if you do have LTE, then you'll get LTE and HSPA, but I could very easily be wrong. If you don't need the camera, a T-Mobile 925 might be better.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Psyker posted:

I bought one of the Lumia 635's on Black Friday because I've been super curious about the Windows Phone OS and such for a -long- time now. I currently have an iPhone 5S. After dicking around with it for the past two days...

...Why isn't Windows Phone more popular? The OS is fun, streamlined, and flashy. I can customize my home screen pretty well. Live tiles are really cool. Hell, even on a $40 phone the OS is really responsive. Cortana is a dream.

Where's the breakdown? I'm seriously considering dumping my iPhone on my next re-up because WP's are much more affordable and seem to be feature rich. I understand there's some poo poo app support, but I can work around that comfortably. I just feel even on a lower end phone for someone that doesn't use their phone for games that the 635 feels really not a lot different than an iPhone.

Of course, my real problem is apparently Verizon having poo poo support for WP and AT&T/Sprint/T-Mobile are garbage where I live.

This is an anecdote from like 8-12 months ago when my wife used a Lumia 521 for around a month after she broke her Galaxy S4 and before she replaced the Lumia with a Nexus 5...

She thought it felt really slow in general, but especially loading webpages. Some webpages that worked fine on Chrome on Android didn't work on IE on the Lumia (I think things like navigation bars with drop downs and editing in blogger or something like that, not sure). Camera was really bad (obviously since it's super budget, but that was a deal breaker for her). Display had really poor colors (ditto). She hated live tiles, since they would flip randomly between things; this is compared to widgets, where you set up what you want it to show you and it just shows it to you. This was before Windows 8.1, so toast notifications rather than a notification center killed her. She didn't like not having a swipe keyboard (fixed now, I know). I think this may have been before you could upload videos to Instagram? In any case, she only really used Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and a few other (major) apps, and she was frustrated by more of them than not. I think she tried to find some specific photo editing apps, retail store apps, that kind of thing, and just didn't find what she wanted. I'm sure she could have found replacements for some of them, but that takes work to tell apart the garbage knockoff apps from the decent knockoff apps. In general, she's not super tied into Google, but she does use Chrome, Gmail, Hangouts, and Blogger, and they all naturally work best on Android. A lot of these annoyances are problems with a budget Windows Phone, not the OS in general, but the nice cheap Windows Phones are the only really compelling ones.

I keep wanting to get a cheap 530/635 to have as a backup phone, and she keeps saying if her current phone breaks, she'd rather go phone-less for a couple days than use one of them, haha. So that, plus the fact that I can quickly get a Moto E or Moto G if one of our phones breaks, means no need for a cheap Windows Phone for us.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
You should probably destroy all those Android phones and just carry like the Moto E and Moto G. Also, the idea that it is some marketing issue that keeps Windows Phone from exploding in popularity is really weird. I don't think I've ever seen a Lumia 520 commercial or ad, yet I'm pretty confident it's the top selling Windows Phone in the U.S. I don't think any carrier store employees are pushing low end Lumia phone sales hard, ya know. I don't get what's so hard to understand: super cheap Windows Phones are good enough that people will overlook the drawbacks (just like a Moto E or Moto G), while high end Windows Phones can't compete with high end Androids or iPhones and aren't cheap enough for people to go for despite that.

Also, your store's situation sounds very different from the norm in the U.S. In any case, I'm not sure your experiences really suggest Windows Phone is actually in such good shape there, when (1) you don't let people return phones, (2) only people who have no experience with smart phones or who just want a lovely phone for a few days are buying them, and (3) selling five units of a phone on launch day, when there have been ads everywhere, is considered successful.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 2, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BonoMan posted:

You didn't actually make a point her.

Haha, yeah, after I posted that I wondered if someone would notice :) I mean, it's nothing that hasn't been said before, but I meant something like this: coming from way behind, Windows Phone needs to give people compelling reasons to switch, not just be almost as good as iPhone or Android. Super cheap and surprisingly decent phones like the low end Lumias give that, with some obvious compromises on quality that are tolerable given the value. High end Windows Phones? Well, you pay about as much as a flagship Android or iPhone, you get to re-buy apps in a much more barren app store, you get to stop using iMessage/Safari or Hangouts/Chrome (and their integration with other devices you own!), you get to stop being able to use Swiftkey or Swype, and you get to be perpetually a couple steps behind the cool new features. I actually think the Cortana ads do a good job trying to sell a standout feature. But anyone interested in a high end Windows Phone probably already has had an iPhone or Android and realized that Siri/Google Now/Cortana make doing a few limited things really convenient but are not the amazing paradigm shift in using your phone that people somehow believed Siri would be initially. The hardware is ok, but you can get a comparable camera on an iPhone or Galaxy, in a thinner, lighter phone with better battery life, so you have to really like the aesthetics of a 930 or whatever for it to be a positive. So there are non-zero switching costs to be paid, for at best an almost as good phone. It's not like that's a hit only against WP, that's why Amazon's Fire Phone and Blackberry are hopeless too. At least WP has reached the point where it can give a decent experience and, in the right circumstances (low end, customers who are new to smartphones or already have a WP, etc), can come out ahead.

That's all a long way of saying "high end Windows Phone can't compete with high end Androids or iPhones."

The Lord Bude posted:

Except this is completely untrue: I have owned a flagship windows phone for two generations now - 920 and 930 and hell would have to freeze over before I bought an android phone or an iphone over a windows phone. My dad gets my old phones when I'm done with them (aside from an iphone 3GS he got from work back in the day) and he agrees with me. Aside from a very tiny minority of nerds who get butthurt over not having large enough numbers on the specsheet to masturbate to; or not having another phone with even bigger masturbation numbers every three months; Most people aren't buying Windows phones because:

1. They don't know windows phones exist - Marketing Problem
2. They know windows phones exist, but don't know very much about them/have been fed outdated stereotypes - Marketing Problem
3. Apple/Samsung/salespeople do a far better, and more prolific job of advertising other phones, and attracting people to their brand. Iphones are seen as a status symbol, windows phones are not - Marketing problem
4. They already have an android phone/iphone and are unwilling to change because they are hooked into an ecosystem, or can't be hosed learning a new OS. This is mostly the fault of Microsoft being so late to the party.

I read an article on a tech site once, not that long ago - a Survey found that Windows Phone users had the highest rates of satisfaction with their phone, and were most likely to buy another windows phone of all three OSs.

So you wouldn't ever consider switching away from your current phone OS that you've used for two generations, and you don't see how that's a problem for Windows Phone when the vast majority of people have been using iOS or Android for even longer?

1,2,3. You said you have tons of Lumia ads around you. In the U.S., it has died off a bit lately, but there were WP ads on TV, particularly for Cortana and the 930 (iirc). Along with tons of advertising for Windows 8. I don't think this can keep being an excuse forever.
4. Yeah, that's a big problem.

Apple and Samsung consistently rank at the top of satisfaction in the U.S., which isn't surprising since more people have Apple or Samsung than anything else and people tend to be biased towards things they chose and are familiar with.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 2, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
e. my first ever quote is not edit, haha

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

isndl posted:

What happened to 'the app selection is anemic'? While I'm sure I can learn to live without some of the ones I currently have on my Android, there are others that are kinda necessary but aren't available on WP - my credit union's banking app, for example. I know that Microsoft likes to crow about having parity with the competing app markets for the most popular apps (which I understand as being Facebook, Twitter, etc.) but I've also heard that those WP apps generally aren't as usable either.

The app selection is anemic. If you're really high on WP, it's because you're convinced you can work around not having many apps, "how many burp and fart pianos do you really need?", etc. Which is true to some extent, but you're always at risk of finding you need an app that WP just doesn't have.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BonoMan posted:

I got a galaxy 4 tab recently as my first foray into android and goddddddamnnnn is it terrible. I know its samsungs interface most likely but its ugly, unintuitive and laggy and slow as poo poo. I mean how do you release a product that is laggy out of the box!?

I'm still probably gonna jump ship at some point but it went a long way to making me appreciate how nice Windows Phone can be.

You bought a lovely budget tablet from one of the few remaining OEMs that still lathers everything up in a slow, bad skin. That's like buying a Lumia 520 and complaining that Windows Phone cameras are bad.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

BonoMan posted:

Not really. I'd expect the camera on a 520 to be bad but I'd expect the core experience to work well enough. Same way I'd expect the camera on the galaxy tab to suck but would expect at the least the core experience to be serviceable. But its just all lovely!

Also it was $100 so I couldn't resist.

Oh, I'm not saying you're wrong to expect better than you got. I was trying to say that you shouldn't assume the problem was Android, just like you shouldn't assume all WP cameras are bad after using a 520. You just bought a lovely tablet (or, analogously, a lovely camera in the 520). That shouldn't deter you from considering other better options (like a flagship Android or 1020 camera!).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

Serious question, is snapchat for your mistress and sexting?

People actually use it for sending random dumb, fully clothed photos to each other all the time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

soapgish posted:

Android is convoluted and Apple is for children. My interactions with WP are all drastically more meaningful than with any other platform for being in step with a lot of what my computer is doing, and itself offering me customization on par with its simplicity. As I don't buy a new computer and believe it has all the software it should out of the gate, or anything even resembling such, I've bypassed all the bellyaching this thread is full with by never bothering with X-Box Music and whatever else terrible stock apps, so my experience has been a delight from day one.

Oops, really misread.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 16, 2014