Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Any good weather apps that will work with the new 8.1 backgrounds? Weatherflow doesn't seem to yet. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

cstine posted:

Blue Skies

Cool, thanks.

But for whatever reason the live tile gives me garbled text on the second page when it flips over.

Edit: Looks like the text fixed itself after a few hours, probably after the first refresh.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 16, 2014

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Dr Tran posted:

reboot fixed that for me

Same here.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I had this fixed once, but the developer preview has brought it back: How the hell do I stop the calendar for chiming in with facebook birthdays at midnight?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Partycat posted:

You can also go in to calendar settings and uncheck the Facebook calendar

Yeah, but I still want to see the birthdays, just not be notified of them.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Maneki Neko posted:

Ha, do you want the HTC one knock off, the Galaxy S2 knockoff, or the Lumia knockoff?

Do you like last generation's hardware? Do you wish that old hardware could run smoother? Try a new Windows Phone!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Is there any remotely interesting high end phones that aren't phablets announced? It seems to me they only care about low end phones on emerging markets these days.

I'm growing fed up with this platform. I'm tired of stuff like this happening: The Chive updates their site. Of course there's no official windows phone app because there never is. So the update breaks all the lovely third party apps. And of course I have to use three separate 3rd party apps because not a single one can handle pictures, gifs, and video properly in one app.

Rudy makes some great stuff, but his hands are tied with things like Snapchat video.

Is this stuff a big deal? No. But I'm tired off just have to "accept things" because I have a Windows phone.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

WattsvilleBlues posted:

After 2.5 years, I think I'm going to have to give Windows Phone the elbow and hop over to Android on my next handset.

But SOMETHING MAJOR is coming to WP!

It'll probably be a broken port of Candy Crush or they're gonna buy Blackberry for patents or something like that.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
So is Microsoft's "mobile first" strategy to put out high end phones as often as new Xbox consoles?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
By the time threshold comes out we'll all be looking at the Android desktop thread wondering with icon pack suits us best.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
So basically: There is nothing big or new to get excited about.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Just bought a new Ford with Microsoft Sync. I can receive texts over Bluetooth, I can respond to them, but I can't just outright send them. It says text messaging isn't supported on my phone (Lumia 925). Is this a Sync, WP 8.1, or Nokia issue?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

OldPueblo posted:

Try the connect in another way option under bluetooth advanced. Also pause to listen for a beep when you try to do a voice command, it may not happen immediately though your phone looks like it's listening.

I've tried to connect the other way but no go. I'll try the second option though.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I think you have to roll back to official 8.0 to get Cyan unless MS comes out with a fix.for the Bitlocker thing.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
It works pretty well for me. I still can't send texts with MyFord Touch and my Lumia 925, but at least I can have Cortana do it via Bluetooth.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Try it. My girlfriend's 8X has been just fine.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

soapgish posted:

Literally the only reason to use XBox Music is an abject unwillingness to use another player, and nothing else. And while the "official" app selection may not be able to rival other platforms, there are incredible alternatives to so many, most surpassing what can be found elsewhere. Anyone saying otherwise simply hasn't put the effort in to find what they need, has unrealistic expectations, or has a pathological need to parrot asinine platitudes.

I don't think it's an unrealistic expectation to expect the same first party apps that everyone else has without crossing your fingers in hope that someone like Rudy Huyn gets around to making an app for it. Do you remember how long it took to get full featured versions of things like Instagram, Vine, and Snapchat? And in many cases unless a game hits Flappy Bird levels of popularity and cloning we won't get them at all.

And don't get me started on video streaming apps. Cox and Directv are available in my area but I don't get to use their streaming video services because they'll never bother to make an app for WP. Subscribed to NFL preseason, gotta watch those games on my Surface. WatchESPN? No way. If say a premium movie channel comes out with a streaming app like HBOgo I don't even bother to check to see if WP is supported because you know it won't be.

Die hard fans devoted to the platform maybe be okay with constantly looking for third party solutions or workarounds all the time, but it doesn't really bode well for the platform and the 96% of people who aren't using windows phones certainly aren't into it.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Dumbest thing they did during that reboot was to focus almost entirely on consumer needs and completely ignore the enterprise.

I just remember how arrogant they were and the "because we said so" type responses they would have for missing features. Like when WP7 first launched and they tried to convince everyone that people don't need copy and paste on a phone.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
My favorite Apple moment being their commercial on how your thumb can't reach on phones larger than theirs.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Anyone using Developer Preview GDR1 after Cyan having problems? My phone will randomly get to a state where the power button will no longer turn the screen off. And if the screen times out, then I can't get it to turn back on again. All I can do is soft reset to get back into my phone. And if I shut the phone down normally it restarts by itself for some reason. This is a Lumia 925. I wiped the phone with a hard reset and the problem returned about 24 hours later. I might have to use the Nokia software recovery tool and see if removing the GDR1 update helps.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I've never used that app, but now that you mention it, I didn't notice any problems until after I installed the NFL Fantasy Cheat Sheet app. So I've rolled back the OS the the last official version and left that app out of the install. Hopefully that does the trick because if it happens again I'm sure the resolution will be a pain in the rear end.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Drastic Actions posted:

The Developers preview should not be an issue, so if you wanna upgrade to that again, you should be okay. It's only the app that should, hopefully, be the issue.

Just installed the preview because I pretty much can't text in my car without it, hope all goes well.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
It was silly of me to assume my new bank (Navy Federal) would have a Windows Phone app.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Can Microsoft please throw a poo poo ton of money at HBO and get us a good HBO Go app?

I doubt it considering the PS4 still doesn't have it.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Snapchat would have been the breaking point for me if it wasn't 9 months until my next upgrade. I can't wait to abandon this platform.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

larchesdanrew posted:

A while back I bitched about having to give up my WP to move to the carrier my workplace uses for company phones. Pro being that my phone would be paid for by my company, and the con being that I wouldn't get to use a Windows Phone. No one really gives a poo poo, but I've just worked out a deal with my job to just let me request an expense every month to cover my personal phone bill and just use my personal phone as my work phone. So I get to cling to this sinking ship until it hits rock bottom! :neckbeard:

We're not too far from rock bottom.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Whoop de loving do Microsoft.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Navy Federal however, has not made an app and likely isn't going to.

But I just bought a used Nexus 5 so hopefully I wont have to worry about that sort of thing anymore.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Wonder how long until the S6 and M9 become "Windows Flagship" devices.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Stick100 posted:

It would be really great to date a day and date similar hardware. The M8 for windows phone was the first real Android Flagship hardware Windows Phone every got, and that was about 6 months after the Android launch.

What about the Focus S and Ativ S? Both were based off older Galaxies.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
What regular person is going to learn how to flash a ROM to install an OS that has no apps?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I dropped WP for months ago and I've used Outlook ever since. It was poo poo on Android but really good on IOS, and constantly improving. Onedrive and OneNote are great for me too.

And I'm not sure what wookiepelt is talking about with linking Facebook contacts. All mine where automatically linked and you can manually add profiles by edit->add social profile in contacts. It doesn't automatically download photos for everyone from Facebook, but you can just use the sync.me app to do that. I am annoyed that the pictures can be seen in the contact list of the 6 Plus, and not the 6 however.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

OldPueblo posted:

Did you try the hold down windows button thing that lowers the screen for one hand? I'm curious how well that works in real world usage. The keyboard is also supposed to be able to shift to one side for better thumb use.

I hate that I have to do this on the iPhone because it'll never have a back button.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I'm pumped iOS is getting the Wordflow keyboard. It's the only thing I still miss from WP. Hopefully it won't be all hosed up like Swiftkey.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I just don't get how calling it a Surface is going to change anything. And most people don't buy into WP devotees' "Well I don't really need these apps" rationalizations. Microsoft's only hope at this point would be to create something truly unique. Mobile phone technology is pretty run of the mill now and they've already missed their shot at taking part in the current status quo. They should just leave it alone until they come up with like hologram phones or some poo poo like that.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

wookieepelt posted:

Even using social media apps to sync contacts us much worse in the iPhone. I have roughly 150 people on my phone that have contact picture, most of those are from Facebook. On the iPhone, Facebook synced 11. I could not manually add the contact photo from Facebook without saving it to the phone because the vast majority of my friends don't add their number to Facebook. The iPhone won't let me manually sync contacts from the Facebook app because...

Just use the sync.me app for Facebook pictures.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Darth TNT posted:

My wife replaced her aging Lumia620 with an Iphone6 and I've had the pleasure of setting it up. I haven't had much hands on experience with Iphones, but I have to say, setting up a windows phone is a whole lot easier and faster, especially the whole people app and the way it integrates the social networks. I've spent the better part of the evening only to discover that the Iphone can only show Facebook images on the contact list if someone has shared their emailadres with you. :psyduck: So now we have to bother our friends to share their email addresses.
I also canīt believe how convoluted it is to set your own ringtone. It's like WP7.
I do like the phone though, it's hella fast and very nice looking.

Just use the sync.me app to pull the pictures from your contact's Facebook profiles without needing their email. You don't even have to be Facebook friends with them, though you do have to link your fb account to the app. Just sync and keep hitting next. Turn off all the other app features though as they are useless.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 26, 2016

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I hate the doom and gloom angle this thread likes to take, but that actually doesn't sound good at all. Why explicitly announce the end of the Lumia devices? Hopefully still a matter of a Surface phone, but bringing that out sure doesn't require announcing what they are not going to do.

I have trouble imagining anything W10M related that doesn't spell doom and gloom. A surface phone would have to really shake up the marketplace for it to be anything other than just an irrelevant Lumia with a different name.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

The Lord Bude posted:

Do what I did and upgrade your way into an iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
The Nexus 5 was the biggest piece of poo poo I ever owned. I do like my iPhone though. Even more now with Wordflow.