Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I am excited about the big update coming, but I was hoping for more hardware wise. I was really hoping to see an upgraded 1020 out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Can anyone comment on the picture quality of the 1520? My wife is worried it won't take a good photo and is convincing her self she needs the 1020.

I am against it because of the hardware loss going down to a 1020.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

My wife just got a 1520 and signed in with her love account.

It tried syncing then said "not up to date." So, we told it to sync again. She triple checked her login information and it is correct. She gets the error code 86000c0a when trying to download apps or update existing apps.

Any ideas?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

iLikeMidgets posted:

Thanks guys. There was someone selling the 520 locally but wasn't able to buy it. Buddy said it was unlocked but when I went to check it out, it was still locked to his carrier. I did get a chance to play with it for a few minutes and it was really nice.

I bought my wife a 520 after she broker her 900 and was a few months away from an upgrade. I was impressed by the phone.

She now has the 1020 and that camera is really impressive. I sure wish Microsoft would make an updated version of it.

And, in other news, I took the otterbox off my 920 because it needed cleaned and I had forgotten how nice the 920 design is. And it is a shame how much the built in screen protector of the otter box ruins the beauty of the display. I'm rolling case free for a few days now!

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

I agree that the 920 is a rugged phone,and the 900, but my wife dropped her 900 and the screen cracked completely. Then she got a replacement, dropped that and the same problem.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm getting déjà vu here, have I ranted about this recently?

It isn't just you. It is the thread itself. It goes through cycles with the same complaints coming up.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Is there seriously no way to open my 920 up at work like a USB drive to transfer photos to OneDrive when using XP? The windows transfer app doesn't work on XP.

loving hell

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

What you are able to use at work is outside of your control, but at the end of the day it is entirely unreasonable to expect anything in this day and age to support Windows XP or to complain when it doesn't. Any company that does so is going above and beyond.

It has nothing to do with our lovely IT systems here. It gave me the option to open and view files just like plugging in a thumb drive.

Nothing would show up.

It worked after half a dozen attempts.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

I saw an article that was 16 hours old saying WP 8.1 will be rolled out June 24th. Of course carriers decide when you will get it.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Also, why did it take them a month to bring out a bugfix?

It is a developer preview. I am boggled as to why everyone is expecting flawless software or constant updates.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

I've been having a lot of issues with Bluetooth (still) and general phone performance. I have 17GB free on my 920 and very few apps installed.

Kind of disappointing.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

On 8.1? 8.0 with the latest updates is fine for me, 8.1 and my car (ford sync) went back to trainwreck status sadly :(

I am on 8.0.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

My buddy has a 1520 and has an issue when he plugs his charger in it is delayed up to 1 minute for it to start charging. Anyone else getting this?

He has tried different brands of chargers with the same result.

We just tested it on my Nokia charger (wired) and it took nearly 2 minutes.

Doomsday Jesus fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 28, 2014

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Ev posted:

I have a 1520 and occasionally I'll see a delay when I plug it in to a charger before the phone registers that it's charging, but I usually just unplug it and plug it in again and it picks it up the second time. Is he using the charger the phone came with?

He is using the same charger, plus he has tried the two Nokia chargers I have.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Shrimpy posted:

My 1020 was dropped and the top part of the screen has a crack now. Since this is my second cracked 1020 I think it's time to finally invest in a case (something I could never even fathom doing with my 900). Anyone have any recommendations, I'd like something as minimalist as possible that may prevent it from getting another busted screen if dropped from 3 feet in the air.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GYJX760?psc=1

My wife has it in pink/white and loves it. I was impressed with it enough to get one for my 920.

If you have prime, search nokia 1020 case, select PRIME ONLY, and the same case is there for $9.95 with the Prime shipping bennies as well.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

920 is going through an issue again where it will not record audio when doing video. Voice note, voice commands, telephone, and audio playback all work.

sigh

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

My 920 on 8.0 has always had battery inconsistencies. Kind of loving annoying.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

I am hoping that Microsoft announces something soon on new hardware. I am feeling the pull away from the platform.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

MC Hawking posted:

You can't turn around 15+ years of horrible corporate environment in a single fiscal quarter.

But, we are the internet and we want it NOW.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

PlaneGuy posted:

Still can't fire-and-forget photo uploads. Why do i have to babysit the upload screen in 2014? Goddammit Facebook are you actively trying to get me of your platform?

Why not direct upload from the photo album on the phone? You don't have to babysit them.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

I am on 8.0 and the media player refuses to remember where I left off in podcasts.

I am consistently having Bluetooth error now. If I receive a text while streaming music via Bluetooth there's a 50/50 shot it will hard lock the phone.

This is just so frustrating.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

+1 for a Zune and ZuneHD fan and still baffled as to why Microsoft thought it was important or a good idea to kill the name, brand, style, software.

You had a fantastic piece of hardware. (HD)
You had a fantastic piece of software. (Zune Desktop, awesome look and style and now playing screensaver with cool text effects, good functionality, wireless syncing (Why is this not a thing today but was from WP5-7.5?))
You had a fantastic music based social network. (not sure how fantastic it really was, but it was unique and people used it, plus I liked the plays count and such as well as ability to share music with other ZuneHD's)
You had a fantastic mobile system and solution. (It freaking worked and it worked well, on both WP7+ and Zune)
You had a freaking 3D interface similar to the "New" Fire Phone. (Tilt your ZuneHD around, it was pretty snazzy)

Yet with all this and the dedicated users that have loved both Zune and Windows Phone, Microsoft almost looks like it wants to give up and just port all their unique software and features to the other devices even after pulling in Nokia and its own Phone hardware... I really hope the new CEO can do something to really downsize and reorg the entire structure to be more like WP7's focus but with speed we were seeing right around the 8.1 RTM release.

It seems like 8.1 was announced months ago, just like Mango and the like, and we are in freaking tech limbo till Christmas again. It is pathetic.

While I still dislike Android, my EVO LTE has actually been, reliable with the latest 4.3 update from HTC, and I am tempted to just stick with a HTC One or something down the road as there is still no Sprint cooperation and nothing new on the horizon for at least another year or more...

This post.

The experience is getting worse it seems and no one wants to support the platform. I emailed Starbucks asking they were working on a WP app. Here is a portion if their reply.

quote:

As we grow and evolve our mobile applications, we seek to develop on the platforms where we see the greatest opportunity. At this time we will not support the Windows platform but will continue to evaluate it as the landscape evolves.

If the ship stays the course I will finally be trying out iOS this fall, if the rumors of larger iPhones are true.[

Doomsday Jesus fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 20, 2014

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Really am ecstatic that Microsoft is teasing the release of a Nokia X Android phone.

:suicide:

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Anyone else have an issue where they're connected to WiFi but the phone is using mobile data?

I know I am.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Probably the usual over-promise and under-deliver, then delayed as gently caress.

This is probably it. The 3D touch means jack poo poo to me and I don't give a gently caress about a smart watch.

Announce some new phones with killer hardware and get 8.1 out the loving door.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone else have problems with, what I assume are, group messages. When I receive one it simply says "Get media content now (1kb)" but when you tap on it the same message refreshes, outgoing group messages also refuse to send.

My internet and MMS access point settings are correct, so is there any known issue on WP8.1?

I had this issue with ATT a while back. They had me change tons of settings, even gave me a new phone and the issue persisted. They had me turn off group messaging once and it allowed media content for a while, then it stopped.

After making a huge stink they had someone on their end fix something on the backend and it has worked since.

I know this doesn't help you, but it is how I had my issue "fixed".

Bitch until it works and threaten to leave.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Every update cycle I get loving irritated at waiting for carrier approval. gently caress off.

On an unrelated note, is there a preferred 64GB micro SD card for the 1520?

Doomsday Jesus fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 15, 2014

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

This thread depresses me.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Factor Mystic posted:

Up until you thought of it, HERE Drive's purpose was to generate routes, not accept routes. That's an interesting feature idea but not really a fair criticism. So what you're really asking is "why doesn't HERE Drive communicate correctly with something that was invented after it was released??"

I see your point, but better question is, "Why can't HERE be updated to accept routes from Cortana?"

Or, why isn't Corta a using HERE to create routes?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

I'm so happy that we are getting BBM!

:suicide:

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Was this the big announcement hinted at a while ago?

No idea, but it wouldn't surprise me. Overhype and under deliver!

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Having been with win phone since Win phone 7, I have had an 820 which my fiancée now has and Im thinking of upgrading my 920 to a 930 and I just want to ask what the general feeling here of a 930 is?

For what it is worth it got a 3.5/5 at Cnet, with the biggest knock being the ecosystem. They raved about the hardware and performance.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Krinos posted:

I upgraded from a 920 to a 930 recently. The screen and camera are a good upgrade - the screen is bigger on a phone around the same size, OLED, but loses glance. The camera gets a lesser version of the zoom in functionality from the 1020. It feels a little lighter but has edges where the 920 had rounded edges on the sides to allow for the bigger screen.

Other than that its the same deal, so if you're having issues with Xbox music or lack of apps that's still there. Basically its more 920, so if you like your 920 now its more of that, just with more res and more megapixels - nothing really ground-breaking.

It is not just a 920. Bigger screen, better camera, better body design, quad core processor, and double the RAM.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

Anyone using 8.1 with Ford Sync? If so, have you had problems with Bluetooth phone stuff? If I'm using Cortana on the phone, voice recognition is pretty good. If I use it through the car system, things seem like they have a much higher chance of getting garbled.

As an example yesterday, "directions to sequim washington" became "hot erections to swim washington", which was so completely wrong as to be amusing and screenshot worthy.

I am on my 920 using 8.0 with Ford SYNC and it is a loving nightmare. I am now worried about going to 8.1.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

I've had Bluetooth problems in a different ford as well. My 920 refused to connect to the Sync system in a 2013 Explorer, but my friends iPhone worked flawlessy.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

The 1520 gets 8.1 first on ATT?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

CubanMissile posted:

I've tried to connect the other way but no go. I'll try the second option though.

I have a 920 with SYNC and it has never worked for me. I just end up calling someone if it is important enough.

also, gently caress this poo poo about an update to 8.1 already. ATT is still sitting on the update. I wish MS could be a bit more forceful in the rollouts.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Jonah Hex posted:

Got a new toy at work today.

I don't get it.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

LifeSizePotato posted:

I don't either, but I'm guessing it's some kind of beta device or an Android with WP8.1 on it? It has on-screen buttons at the bottom and also a down arrow thing at the left.

Upon further examination I see "Qualcomm Snapdragon" at the top and the keys are on screen, not capacitive or physical.

Please clarify!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Is it stupid to check for updates on my 920 every hour? I am tired of waiting.