Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Thwack! posted:

He's one of the producers of the Pokemon anime, but yeah I'd watch something from him that's non-Pokemon related.

He's been one of my favorite artists for a long time, so it's nice to see him do stuff besides Pokemon. The cards with his illustrations in the Pokemon TCG always looked the best and everyone else's was a pale imitation of his designs. His were the official ones for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Frocobo posted:

Yup, that Shinji Higuchi sure is a fraud all right.

I was referring more to the cards from the earliest sets (you know, back when I actually played the TCG :v:). Some of the illustrations from those sets (Especially the Team Rocket set) were pretty dire. The art from recent sets seem to be a lot more on-model, so that statement doesn't apply to modern Pokemon TCG art.

That said, the ones you posted look like unplayable messes. The art shouldn't get in the way of the actual useful part of the card!

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Captain Pissweak posted:

I definitely remember the 3D model art style cards that look like poo poo that you're talking about.

Those were actually done by the same guy that did the above 3D Pikachu card.

I remember thinking this Slowpoke card had lovely art, but looking at it today it captured his doofiness perfectly:

APPLES! :downs:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Captain Pissweak posted:

I've got money down with friends that Jigglypuff will be the last thing they reveal.

I hope Jigglypuff is back to her old Melee self. She was my main and I was so disappointed at how hard they nerfed her in Brawl.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Elyv posted:

Well Jigglypuff is really good in Melee, easily one of the best characters.

That said, as a Peach player in Melee I feel your pain, give me my downsmash back :(

I could understand a slight nerf if the 'Puff was dominating too much but they made the poor thing drat near unplayable. Jigglypuff's whole point was to be a glass cannon, and in Brawl she was just glass.

On the topic of Peach, I have good memories of my teenage self spamming her side smash just to get the frying pan. It made the most wonderful, satisfying CLANG when it connected. :allears:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The main reason you should play Project M is that it un-nerfs Jigglypuff. :colbert:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Shadowlyger posted:

They got me when they announced they had a Gamecube controller adapter. Like hell was I gonna play Smash with a wiimote or the classic controller.

Not dissing the Gamecube controller, but you should at least try out the Wii U Pro controller. It's fantastic, and will probably be my main smash controller.

The Classic Controller Pro is almost as good, but it doesn't fit the hands quite as comfortably as the Wii U Pro. Still worth a look if you prefer the sticks and Dpad/button positions swapped.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Tracula posted:

My only real issue with the Classic Pro is that it feels a bit light/flimsy because of the lack of rumble.

The Wavebird didn't have rumble either and was only heavy because of the puny AA batteries you had to put into it. The Wii U Pro controller's battery life puts all others to shame. :colbert:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Endorph posted:

People would have said the same thing about Sonic and Snake before Brawl came out.

They went as far as putting those two on (the back of) the box and they still needed unlocking. They'll advertise the hell out of the 3rd party guys, but that doesn't mean they'll be available from the get-go.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

bladeworksmaster posted:

I remember the Nintendo Power Ocarina of Time guide, the amount of content packed into that book consisted of all my free time as a kid, be it in car rides to school or library time. I miss it :smith:

The Super Mario World guide (entitled Mario Mania) was the single greatest game guide I have ever owned - in addition to the game guide proper, the thing was crammed with Mario trivia and seemingly every piece of official art that existed at the time. That thing was my bible and is the main reason I know SMW like the back of my hand.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

The GCN controller would be perfect if it had a second Z bumper, R3/L3 (C3?) clickly sticks and a select button IMO.

My opinion from the beginning was that they should add those buttons to the base design and cram the Pro controller hardware into it to make a sort of Wavebird 2.0 rather than produce an adapter.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Endorph posted:

But the adapter lets you use the gamecube controllers you've had since 2002.

You can only benefit from that fact if you have any gamecube controllers laying around. :ssh: Most new players aren't going to have any, nor will anyone who lost/sold theirs within that 12 year span.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

In any case, I'll be giving the Wii U Pro controller a spin this time around. It's the best controller they've put out in a while, so it would be a waste to immediately pass it over in favor of an ancient design right away.

If it winds up not working for smash, then I'll break down and grab an adapter/GC controller.

Heatwizard posted:

Where would you put the second stick?
Are you somehow not aware that the C-stick is a second stick?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

It's too bad the Duck Hunt dog is fake. I was looking forward to spamming the everloving poo poo out of its taunt online. :laugh: (And if that laugh wasn't its taunt I'd be pissed.)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

if you aint goggles pikachu you aint poo poo

This is also proof that N64/Melee Pikachu retired and Melee Pichu evolved. :colbert:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Lemming posted:

When I play this game with my friends if Duck Hunt is real I'm going to hit anybody who plays it and doesn't kill themselves immediately gently caress you dog

Bicyclops posted:

The Duck Hunt Dog included, but not as a playable character. As a substitute for the sandbag.

There are only two possible opinions of the dog being playable - those who hate the fucker and want nothing more than to beat the poo poo out of it after all these years, and those who wish to harness its mocking laughter against others.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Apparently the polycounts on the models of those Pokemon are totally bonkers.

This is probably futureproofing - I bet that those models will be used for the next few generations.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

The models were all touched up slightly, but they were all still from Pokemon Stadium.

There's no way in hell this is a "touch up". The proportions are completely different, the X/Y model has way more polygons, and the models share no animations in common. What you said is true for Pokemon Battle Revolution, which used the exact same animations with a touched up model, but the X/Y one is completely new.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Cleretic posted:

He's talking about the Battle Revolution models. Here's Mewtwo's from that.

:downs: Welp, that will teach me to read things better. I thought he was referring to the XY models.

Edit:

Excels posted:

mewtwo still got better treatment than morrigan, who was forced to use the same spritesheet for like ten years worth of games

Yeah, no matter how lazy they were backporting the 64 models to PBR, nothing compares to that. It was a common joke before MvC3 came out that Morrigan would be the same sprite as always fighting the other characters with new 3D models.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 23, 2014

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

:downs: Welp, that will teach me to read things better. I thought he was referring to the XY models.

I already admitted that I misread the post, y'all can stop quoting me and calling me out as an idiot. I beat you to it. :v:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

But calling people idiots is what this thread is for more than anything else. Do you at least have an unpopular choice for who you would like in the game or utilize an awkward control scheme while playing? Give us something here, Christ.

Alright, fine. I want the Duck Hunt Dog "leak" to be real so I can spam that loving laugh at people online 24/7 and I plan on eschewing Gamecube controllers entirely in favor of the Wii U Pro Controller.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

Poke Floats was based around having a fixed camera at a 4:3 aspect ratio, so it would need to be adapted to widescreen. I think you'd be more likely to see a new version than have the original return.

A bunch of new pokemon have come out since then, so that's justification enough for Poke Floats 2. (The old one predated Drifblim. :colbert:)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Pixeltendo posted:

Kirby got a new Meta knight-ish color scheme. (it's from a scan is a recent magazine)

Charizard is stoned out of his loving mind.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

FraudulentEconomics posted:

The dog taught me hate.

That loving Laugh is embedded into the psyche of anyone that owned an NES just as clearly as the SMB music. Even if it didn't become a huge franchise that had bestsellers on every Nintendo console it is still more iconic to anyone who owned an NES than the Ice Climbers or even ROB were. (More people owned the version that lacked ROB and just came with the combo cart and a zapper)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Militree posted:

I'm still a believer in Lucas.

There's always the chance he was downgraded to a costume for Ness, I suppose. (They might as well throw in Ninten too if that's the case.)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Excels posted:

picking ninten changes all the music to NES music.

Expanding on it, if Bowser Jr's "costumes" are just going to be the 7 koopalings, then what's stopping them from making all the PSI users from the Earthbound series Ness's alts?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Excels posted:

Because most of the playable Mother cast can't actually use PSI. It's typically reserved for the protagonist and the mage (Ana/Kumatora/Paula)

So with 8 costumes available: Ness, Paula, Poo, Lucas, Claus/Masked Man (He had the same powers as Lucas, remember?), Kumatora, Ninten, Ana.

Since Kumatora is taller/has noticeably different proportions than the others, she's the most likely to get left out. In that case, Ness in Pajamas could take her place.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Mother theme or bust. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5AZERT4UmU

Bonus: The vocal album version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LECyz7qtsaI

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Spectacle Rock posted:

Nobody is arguing over this.

More images here of leaked stuff, including more close up of ladies that our leaker decided to give us for some reason...

Click here for awesome: http://imgur.com/a/PzeCw

The reason (that the leakers are providing) is that these links are supposedly from a video reel that gets shown to the ESRB so it can give the game an accurate rating. That means everything that might be objectionable (including the cheesecake-y shots of the trophies) needs to be in it.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

At bare minimum the MK8 DLC proves that Nintendo is A-OK with releasing meaningful non-cosmetic content for their AAA games. Any missing fan-favorite veteran characters/stages are prime candidates for a DLC pack later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Blackheart posted:

alcharagia posted:

So is Captain Falcon confirmed the most muscular character in the game? Because I am an ardent devotee of the power of muscle.
Sorry that's actually Jigglypuff.

• Locked thread