Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yeah I wanted either Pangoro, Greninja, or maybe Hawlucha for fun. Or the sword pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's not even Pong, it's a Pong knock-off :allears:

The Glory Days of Early Nintendo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

More new items:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

net cafe scandal posted:

Did I miss these? Where are they from?

Joe Merrick's Twitter account (the Serebii guy)

https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Ice Climber Bear spotted:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

bpc908 posted:

Galaga ships are items

Are we sure those aren't Assist Trophies?

Supercar Gautier posted:

Wouldn't this have been the best time to announce that? It'd be bigger news than Greninja, and one version of the game is only a few months away.

E3 is probably going to have less general information revealed for the game, I'm guessing they're saving the big announcements for there.

I don't mind, since Greninja was a bigger surprise than Pac-Man.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I think the Pokemon name can be explained by few things:

-there are a lot of pokemons (I have Y but I couldn't remember Greninja's name), so if you're not into Pokemon it can be confusing.

-The name might have been the Japanese name.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
That's a lot of characters to unveil before Summer, I wonder if they're going to reveal much more characters in the coming weeks (instead of one or two per month) or that they are secret characters.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Final Smash authorized.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So, Smash Run. Is it playable in single player or...? I had Kirby Air Ride but it's been so long I'm not sure how it played exactly.

You had to do things in a big area and then there was a race?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The Waluigi Assist Trophy had the Wario symbol as it's 'what series does this represent?' symbol. He's in.

There's also Ashley.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
GameXplain did an analysis of Greninja footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLDHZGnhSGc

This frog is pretty cool looking. Water swords!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Endorph posted:

Jigglypuff and Kirby have feet but not legs. :v:

I don't think ROB has legs either.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 9, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Found this picture on the Internet:

I definitely think there is some truth to that, I doubt the trophies were chosen randomly.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 10, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I think the Zelda one is a bit of a stretch, but I don't see why they can't add Ganondorf and Ghirahim (or Demise).

As for Ridley, personally I believe Other M Ridley is going to be a stage hazard, that's certain, but it doesn't mean we won't see Super Metroid Ridley or Meta Ridley as a playable character.

Sakurai is so coy about Ridley (just like he is with Palutena) that it's a fair assumption he is hiding something up his sleeves.
Remember that Toon Link was revealed as stage prop before being unveiled as a playable character.
Now, I'm not saying it's exactly the same situation ( background character vs stage hazard) but both Ridleys are different enough that it's a possibility.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 10, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I just think you can have a normal looking Ridley as a playable character AND a boss character Other M Ridley. They look nothing alike.

They don't have to replace the Other M Ridley since it's not the same character, it's different from the Toon Link situation.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I have to say that the Dark Samus assist trophy looked awesome and I really hope we get her next time.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Constable Lemon posted:

Wrt Smash clones and such, there's a smash rip off called Punch Time: Explosion, which stars cartoon network characters. Its an extremely blatant ripoff complete with final smashes and assist trophies.

Why do none of these games copy the most fun element of Smash Bros: knocking out your adversaries off the stages.

Edit: uh actually they do, but you can only exit this stage through the ceiling :psyduck:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 11, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What do people think about Palutena here? I liked Kid Icarus Uprising and I'm ok with her inclusion but I can't say she's the first character that came to mind.

She was a boss fight, right? I'm curious about her moveset.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Joramun posted:

Especially Pichu/Pikachu and Mewtwo/Lucario

Save for their B neutral move, Mewtwo and Lucario are nothing alike.

And Pichu was a joke character.

ChaosArgate posted:

I really don't understand why people still say Lucario and Mewtwo are similar. Mewtwo's way floatier and Lucario's more of an up close fighter. The only thing they have in common are a charging standing B move.

I think people are just trying to explain why Mewtwo was cut from Brawl. Since Young Link, Pichu, Dr Mario and Roy were cut and "replaced" (save for Dr.Mario and Pichu), it's easy to think "oh, so Lucario is a clone of Mewtwo."

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 12, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Interesting analysis of Smash Run mode by Gamexplain, if you're like me and kind of confused by the mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ8UQ-SWcHo

I'm more excited to see what enemies they'll add.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Spacebump posted:

The Star Fox Rob is named Rob 64.

Not in Japan.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Personally I'm glad since I don't know if I would have bought the 3DS version if it came out after the Wii U one.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

IronicDongz posted:

It'd be rad if Ghirahim showed up, but honestly I'd be pretty surprised.

Eh I wouldn't, Sakurai seems to go for recent characters this time around (Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Greninja).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Sorry, Dr. Mario/Wario/Waluigi fans!)

:D

Wario has been a standalone franchise for a while now, with the Wario Land and WarioWare series :colbert:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Namco probably does, and they're making the game with Sakurai.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I do not think that Pac-man of all characters would be special enough to get into Sakurai's fighting party game. Who knows, though.

Pac-Man is one of video gaming's earliest mascot. I think he is pretty relevant. Pretty much the only relevant Namco character that I could ever see in Smash, anyway.

Edit: forgot to write Namco :v:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 14, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dr. Dos posted:

The tough part of the pac man stage is that if you knock somebody off the left or right side they just appear on the other end instead.

That's already how the Ballon Fighter stage works :v:

Bicyclops posted:

edit: to be clear, I do not really want Pac Man to be a character in Smash Brothers, but would not be opposed.

I'm in the same boat. I really don't care but if Namco has to shill one of their characters, I'd rather it'd be the one iconic guy they have.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think Pac-Man is relevant the same way Family Circus is. It's still there in the newspaper, kids have access to it, but how much do kids really care? If Pac-Man's in the game it would be to honor the legacy of his significance to gaming, but it wouldn't be to appeal to an audience or to drive sales, the way that Snake's inclusion would. It would be more of a curtain call.

I don't think that's how Namco sees it though, they probably want to boost interest in their new Pac-Man tv show on Disney Channel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pac-Man_and_the_Ghostly_Adventures

They also made a game about this (by most accounts, it's pretty bad)

Militree posted:

I get what you're saying, but this comparison kind of falls apart because each Pokemon comes prepackages with about hundred battle moves, multiple game descriptions, and in most cases multiple appearances on a Saturday morning cartoon..

So does Pac-Man. They're probably not very good cartoons or video games (I don't know) but they exist, even if they are not widely known.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 14, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think Mega Man is in the game simply because Sakurai thought his moveset would translate, with all the weapons he's amassed over the years. Otherwise he's just getting his curtain call too.

As for Pac-Man the majority of Pac-related games released in the last 6-7 years are targetted at long-time pac-loving adults, like Namco Museum Remix, Pac-Man Museum, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions, etc. I think that Namco would want you to believe that Pac-Man is still popular with all audiences, but ultimately they know where their bread is buttered.

Aren't those games pretty much downloadable games? I'm pretty sure Namco is cranking out those games because they're cost effective, but their money seems to be geared towards selling stuff to kids (the ongoing cartoon, the retail game they released on pretty much every platforms under the sun based on it), the party game on Wii...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I hope we get a Classic Pac-man costume at least, with the black eyes and the simple boots.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Geostomp posted:

For the Metwo fans.

I remember when people thought Lucario returning meant Mewtwo wouldn't be in, and yet here we are with Charizard returning and a new Pokemon.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Legin Noslen posted:

Just give me Shulk you stupid sons of bitches. I mean, how much of a withholding rear end in a top hat can you be.

It's not certain or anything, but Shulk is rumoured to be in, according to the E3/Gematsu leaker.

Besides that, it would make sense to included Xenoblade representation since there's a new game coming up on Wii U.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Shulk has a big red laser sword.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

flatluigi posted:

Rhythm Heaven would be a great game to pull things from.

Rhythm Heaven's Chorus Kids are also a rumored characters from the E3 leaker.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Shulk is the main character of the game, it makes sense that people would want him in.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Many screenshots involving the five characters of the Direct have been posted:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25792657@N00/sets/72157644096275264/

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

DrPaper posted:

Gotta make up for the lack of an exclusive gamemode somehow I guess.

The Wii U version is probably going to have an exclusive gamemode.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
There's probably three directs before Winter 2014, they have plenty of time to announce stuff about the Wii U version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
He means Unown.

• Locked thread