Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will you #JoinTheForce?
I already have
I want to I just don't know how
Only if they sign Sid
#JoinTheForce
View Results

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Those are some exciting names, but I've found some more:

It's a Global Force so Jarrett has been reaching out across the globe.

This thread and the cokehead Hogan doll one are the only times I've bothered to vote for a thread this decade.

It's a shame apparently no pics of JJ and Ian Rotten together were taken from the IWS-MS incident...

Thauros fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

Holy poo poo guys, breaking news!!!

That's actually quite possible if this stupid fed ever actually exists given that Mutoh dealt more with Jarrett than anyone else when that deal was made.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

From today's Observer update:

--Chris Thomas, who worked in P.R. for TNA for years, is the latest name linked with Jeff Jarrett's new Global Force Wrestling promotion.

Also the GFW sure loved this headline:

http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/y...9#axzz2zvTCVG3H

LEGENDARY WRESTLER.

Oh god, the local two bit right wing paper's glorifying Jarrett now?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I just hope the basic presentation is kept unchanged with the exception of the additions of his logo and probably bad announcers.

Their hype videos are awesome even when you can't understand them.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Flameingblack posted:

I just thought it was ironic that GFW were trying to offer the "Alternative" to WWE and TNA which was exactly the same, until they accidentally stumbled upon NJPW and they're actually a legitimate alternative now. They'll quickly be better than TNA. As long as Jado and Gedo keep booking and NJPW keeps putting on great matches, maybe they'll grow enough to become a competitor.

No #2 in the world's pretty drat good and they have room for growth in their domestic market. There really is a limit to how popular they can get in the US though but I think they can at least do enough buys (ROH type numbers) to make it worthwhile for everyone involved.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I didn't watch it but Dave said Tenay did a very nice job on TNA's Korakuen show of putting over the Japanese talent and introducing them to the Western market.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

Reports say the price point of Wrestle Kingdom 9 will be $34.95. For comparison, WWE PPVs are $44.95/$59.95 for Mania available at an undisclosed monthly price and TNA PPVs are $49.95.

That's the same price WK7 and WK8 cost on UStream, so not a bad deal at all. I'll be buying the Nico broadcast since I don't have cable, but as a NJPW fan I can't really take issue with how they're handling it since they allow the ability to listen to Japanese commentary.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 7, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NienNunb posted:

Do you think there would be encore viewings for this? Because I'd be all about being able to watch this in HD on my TV, but I don't think I'd be able to stay awake to watch it all live.

JJ's weird fake promotion posted:

“GFW Presents New Japan Pro Wrestling’s Wrestle Kingdom 9” will air live in North America at 2 a.m. ET on Jan. 4, which is 4 p.m. in Tokyo. The four-hour telecast also will air in primetime in North America at 7 p.m. ET on your pay-per-view provider, including DirecTV, Dish, AT&T U-verse, Comcast, Verizon Fios and all cable systems in the United States, and in Canada on Bell ExpressVu TV, Rogers, Shaw, Sasktel and Telus. Check your local listings for availability. The show also will be available on the “Flipps” app on iTunes or Android

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

Seriously NJPW is the best, and no one really cares how you watch it or what commentary you listen to. It'll probably be the best show of the year, and if the language barrier or timing have been things that have held you back GFW have come through for you.

Please enjoy good wrestling.

Yeah, I'll be listening to the Japanese feed since I don't have cable, but I was impressed with JR's interview with Dave and Bryan and think he can do a good job with it.

Also, if anyone is trying to get into the product as is but is having trouble because they can't understand the promos, Yottsume's been putting up translations from recent shows on his website.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Anime Reference posted:

If Japanese wrestling is anything like most other Japanese industries they don't want to even know about customers in not-Japan, let alone provide for them.

NJPW definitely wants to court international audiences, which is of course different fom saying that they always take the right approach in doing so. They've recently signed multiple deals to get their merch in foreign hands much easier. They're trying the conventional US/Canada PPV market for the first time and it looks like the NJPW World thing might be a replacement for Ustream.

Kidani (Bushiroad CEO) recently said that he wants the NJPW guys to learn better English to increase their international appeal.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

Fair enough.

I mean NJPW is nothing like UFC, and the point made about the blurring of face and heel divides is more that the big heel stable is now more face like. It's still professional wrestling and if you can follow a live show then you can follow the product. Yes the stories get told in the ring, but that doesn't change that stories are told, and that in turn stories are told in packages and hype videos and promos. I'm honestly not trying to tell you how to watch the show, just that most of your concerns aren't something that I think really applies to the product and are just misconceptions about the product.

It still has good guys and bad guys, and its pretty obvious which is which.

Seriously the show is going to have English commentary, so if there was ever a show to check out to be sure whether or not the product is for you it's this one.

Yeah, the main blurriness game from the gradual turn of Nakamura and Okada's stable CHAOS. Over a two year period they gradually turned from heel to tweener and then essentially face when the last two heel members defected to the heel groups (Yujiro to Bullet Club and Iizuka to Suzuki-gun).

Now it's pretty cut and dry. Bullet Club, Suzuki-gun, and the NWA are heels and and you're supposed to like basically everyone else. One difference though between NJPW and WWE is that New Japan has no issues booking face vs. face and heel vs. heel matches. This results in stuff like Tanahashi occasionally working subtle heel against other ultra popular guys like Okada and Nakamura but he's still a super face.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

Big Dave said that Jeff Jarrett wants 10-12,000 buys for Tokyo Dome. He talked about it and the NJPW TV show on AXS on Saturday's Sin Limite. He thinks that NJPW World will hurt the buyrate but not critically because the market for the English PPV is people who don't watch NJPW, not NJPW diehards.

I'm all for anything that will expand the fanbase, but I seriously doubt that many people who are currently unfamiliar with the product are going to give a new federation with no wrestlers they've heard of outside of possibly AJ Styles a try simply because JR is announcing it.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Huh, I had no idea his real personal name was Shinya. I assume he changed i due to Hashimoto

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Is this real? It's tough to know what's legit and what's a shop due to:

Spermgod posted:

love gfw's whole "2001 angelfire e-fed" aesthetic

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NickRoweFillea posted:

Wow that old man with the tennis racket is an rear end in a top hat

yeah man, everyone knows about cornette by now

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

AJ and the Bucks have worked face in basically all their ROH appearances since the crossover shows last year.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Problem is that with these sad rear end crowds good luck finding anyone willing to pay you to run a show at their facility in the future

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Great White Hope posted:

I can only imagine what Jarrett tried to do.

MRT had the scoops like months ago and you people treated it like a joke.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699918#post441365323

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Delsaber posted:

Isn't there an Amped energy drink with the same logo? Or an Amped racing or snowboarding game on the original Xbox?

Everyone on this show better be wearing a wallet chain

Tanahashi would be a really nice get

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's nice to see that Jeff learned his lessons from TNA and things are going to be TOTALLY different this time.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

i can tell you from living there for years that Grimsby does not have any wrestling history short of people remembering going to see Big Daddy at the pier 40 years ago. it's backwoods enough that i'm sure there's plenty of fans though.

Clearly JJ needs to work out a deal with Shacho Tharpe to bring BIG DADDY YUM YUM over since Big Daddies have a history of drawing in your town.

Edit: Off subject but do you have any clue why I've heard of your city's football club before despite them being in the fifth tier? The first think that popped into my head was "Grimsby Town FC"

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 21, 2015

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This just makes it honestly even more baffling how NWA Portland is a thing, because again, literally the lowest tier more awful indie show you have ever seen.

Have you ever seen Southern States Wrestling? It's on Youtube. Is your local fed honestly worse than that?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

You might've said the same about TNAs New York shows but they didn't do very well. And they had hot talent like Snitsky

Vegas is more built around comped tickets to poo poo though

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's nice of Jeff to finally give Dixie some competition for worst promotion of the year.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Chromatic posted:

I do wonder at times about the prospect of pro wrestling straight up dying off in the next 50 years. They've lost quite a bit of viewership and the fanbase has seemingly shunk over the last 20-30 years.

I think there's way too many other entertainment options out there nowadays for people to pull out the "Well pro-wrestling always comes and goes in cycles" explanation.

Completely die? I doubt it, bet th There's at least going to be indies made up of yardtards studying grandpa's old torrents.

Die off as any semblance of a mainstream entertainment option or way to make a living, at least in America? Who knows?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I hope he goes to SSW since it's near his old territory anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

RZApublican posted:

Other than IWA Mid-South and Juggalo Championship Wrestling his wikipedia page lists Kongo Kong as having a bunch of one-off championships at indies I've never heard off with his only notable major industry experience being at GFW. Think about that.

Save us, Buff Bagwell.

I was going to say that I've seen him in ROH on occasion but apparently Kongo and Kongo Kong are actually different people. Never seen him wrestle then.

• Locked thread