Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I was under the impression that the Nazi simply found it before the Allies did. The Da'at Yichud technology was never meant to be used by anyone on any side in the first place.

The super-technology that enabled them to build the super soldiers, battle robots and the moon base was derived from Da'at Yichud magi-tech, but the supernatural stuff seems to exists independently of that. Seems like the Allies would try it when thing got desperate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Patch dropped:

quote:

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

PC version 0.1464 revision notes:

- Fixed specular issue on characters during in-game events on Ultra graphics settings
- Fixed intermittent stuttering on .bik file playback affecting some users
- Fixed Steam Leaderboard load issue when no score had been posted on certain Challenge Modes
- Fixed GPU synchronization issue affecting some users
- Added GPU optimization for users with below recommended spec CPUs and above recommended spec GPUs

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just finished my playthrough. Verdict: Eh, it was alright. Not as good as The New Order, and the zombies proved seriously unfun to fight when they finally showed up. I'm glad they lightened up the tone so it wasn't QUITE as far up its own rear end as TNO is, and the gameplay hasn't changed all that much so it's still as good as it was before. This does, however, mark the second consecutive time they give you a sick-rear end full length double barrel shotgun in the intro and then you never get to use it again, which is a grievous mistake. I got it for 20 bucks and I'd say it was worth that but only if you really liked TNO, obviously.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Kopijeger posted:

The super-technology that enabled them to build the super soldiers, battle robots and the moon base was derived from Da'at Yichud magi-tech, but the supernatural stuff seems to exists independently of that. Seems like the Allies would try it when thing got desperate.

I always thought Deathshead managed most of the super soldier tech on his own personally. Speaking of Deathshead did anyone get the vibe that he was the one actually running the whole Nazi shibang post-war? I mean, he did provide the tech that won the war for the Nazis.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I was under the impression that the Nazi simply found it before the Allies did. The Da'at Yichud technology was never meant to be used by anyone on any side in the first place.

However, in TNO when they're entering the underwater repository, it's mentioned that Da'at Yichud did try to arm the remaining Allies towards the end, but it was too late to stop the Nazis.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but does TNO ever explain why the Da'at Yichud people made the technology in the first place if they didn't want anybody to use it? It just seems a bit counter-intuitive is all I'm saying!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Klaus88 posted:

Wait until we meet the fearsome resistance leaders Malcolm X and Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.

"I have a dream... of a world in which there are no Nazis![/spoilers]

[spoiler] "The honorable Elijah Muhammad demands you kill all the Nazis

I admit I mostly put forward the above examples because of all the hackles it would raise on forums like Stormfront and :freep: but I still think it would be fitting for a US themed Wolfenstein game. :getin:

This would lead to its own problems considering the problems that America is having back at home that J. actually brings up in TNO.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

CJacobs posted:

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but does TNO ever explain why the Da'at Yichud people made the technology in the first place if they didn't want anybody to use it? It just seems a bit counter-intuitive is all I'm saying!

It's a meditative exercise. An act of worship. They consider creation and learning an end in and of itself, and that it's the highest form of communion with God. Set and Karoline argue about it at one point.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

I always thought Deathshead managed most of the super soldier tech on his own personally. Speaking of Deathshead did anyone get the vibe that he was the one actually running the whole Nazi shibang post-war? I mean, he did provide the tech that won the war for the Nazis.

One of the more "delightful" facts about the Nazi state was that its internal structure was so consumed by power struggles and personal fiefdoms that you can literally imagine anything happening after a victorious WW2 and it's just as plausible as anything else you can imagine. They make the Russians look like the masters of limited, rational government.

I read Deathshead as having established a state-within-a-state in TNO. He isn't actually the Führer, but anybody who wants anything done in the Reich has to go through him. He controls the technology on which the Reich's prosperity is based, he has industrial and commericial interests on every Nazi continent, and I wouldn't be surprised if he uses the SS as his personal military force (akin to SHIELD, but with more ethnic cleansing). Someone earlier in the thread put it best: in TNO, Deathshead is the only man on the planet who can tell Hitler to gently caress off.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I must have missed that bit of propaganda, when did that happen?

Oh that reminds me, something ominous that the game doesn't address: the way the zombie gas works is that anyone who breathes it in becomes a murder-happy zombie at the moment of death. BJ was breathing that poo poo in real deep for the last 3 levels of the game, so what happens when he inevitably dies of old age or whatever? :ohdear:

Are you trying to imply that BJ wasn't a murder-happy zombie during the events of TNO?

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008

Klaus88 posted:

It's heavily implied in one of the cutscenes in the London Nautica mission that all of the Nazi Supertech came from Da'at Yichud, all the way down to the super concrete that's falling apart everywhere, which is what leads the resistance to go get Seth.

CJacobs posted:

Seth's conversation the first time he's in the resistance bunker, he says something along the lines of developing the tech is communing with God. The act of developing it is an act of worship, basically.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Night10194 posted:

It's a meditative exercise. An act of worship. They consider creation and learning an end in and of itself, and that it's the highest form of communion with God. Set and Karoline argue about it at one point.

ImpulseDrive posted:

Seth's conversation the first time he's in the resistance bunker, he says something along the lines of developing the tech is communing with God. The act of developing it is an act of worship, basically.

Oh, alright. I was busy picking up toys like a hoarder and/or paying attention to Fergus loving around in the robot suit so I think I kinda zoned out.

I haven't tried The Old Blood's challenge map stuff yet. Is it just survival mode? Or is there more to it? I have one near the middle that I never unlocked even though I beat the whole game so I'm a bit confused as to how I missed it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Oh, alright. I was busy picking up toys like a hoarder and/or paying attention to Fergus loving around in the robot suit so I think I kinda zoned out.

I haven't tried The Old Blood's challenge map stuff yet. Is it just survival mode? Or is there more to it? I have one near the middle that I never unlocked even though I beat the whole game so I'm a bit confused as to how I missed it.

There is the part where you have to make a choice to save one of the characters. If you go one way, you get one challenge map, if you go the other way you get another one.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

ImpulseDrive posted:

It's heavily implied in one of the cutscenes in the London Nautica mission that all of the Nazi Supertech came from Da'at Yichud, all the way down to the super concrete that's falling apart everywhere, which is what leads the resistance to go get Seth.

Yeah, but deathshead already HAD functioning super soldier tech in RtCW, presumably before they dug up the Da'at Yichud tech , and most of the Super Soldiers are running on plain deathshead tech. I figure it's only when the wars over that he gets around to improving the Supersoldiers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

blackguy32 posted:

There is the part where you have to make a choice to save one of the characters. If you go one way, you get one challenge map, if you go the other way you get another one.

Ohhhhh, okay. I suppose since you go a different route when you save the character I didn't save (or rather, didn't know I could save) you unlock that map instead. Well time to replay the game then! :getin:

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008

Klaus88 posted:

Yeah, but deathshead already HAD functioning super soldier tech in RtCW, presumably before they dug up the Da'at Yichud tech , and most of the Super Soldiers are running on plain deathshead tech. I figure it's only when the wars over that he gets around to improving the Supersoldiers.

I don't think the game ever really pins down when Deathshead found that cache, but there's a lot of similarities between the super soldiers and the robodogs, and I think there was something somewhere in the game that implied the tech for the dogs definitely came from the cache.

Edit: if not from the game. then I think from the posts made by the 3d artist guy who worked on the game in one of these threads...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ImpulseDrive posted:

I don't think the game ever really pins down when Deathshead found that cache, but there's a lot of similarities between the super soldiers and the robodogs, and I think there was something somewhere in the game that implied the tech for the dogs definitely came from the cache.

Edit: if not from the game. then I think from the posts made by the 3d artist guy who worked on the game in one of these threads...

I assumed Helga helped find the cache, considering her ancestor won battles with loving laser cannons in the 10th century and she had Da'at Yichud artifacts in her office. I figured King Otto found a cache and she helped locate some of it from his notes as well, the monster was just an additional, hidden vault.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Old Blood is set just before the prologue of The New Order, so it's very likely that the Nazis already have the cache.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SirSamVimes posted:

The Old Blood is set just before the prologue of The New Order, so it's very likely that the Nazis already have the cache.

And as the ending reveals, "just before" isn't even an exaggeration, it literally ends at almost the exact moment before TNO begins. :v:

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008

Night10194 posted:

I assumed Helga helped find the cache, considering her ancestor won battles with loving laser cannons in the 10th century and she had Da'at Yichud artifacts in her office. I figured King Otto found a cache and she helped locate some of it from his notes as well, the monster was just an additional, hidden vault.

Helga's from TOB, right? I haven't had the opportunity to play that yet. 38GB is a bit of a pain in the rear end to download in one go, and there's not a physical PC version available. I own it on steam...just haven't found the time to download.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Klaus88 posted:

While it's true that RtCW had supersoldiers, it's not a huge stretch that TNO retcons it so those supersoldiers were originally sourced from that tech I guess.

CJacobs posted:

Just finished my playthrough. Verdict: Eh, it was alright. Not as good as The New Order, and the zombies proved seriously unfun to fight when they finally showed up. I'm glad they lightened up the tone so it wasn't QUITE as far up its own rear end as TNO is, and the gameplay hasn't changed all that much so it's still as good as it was before. This does, however, mark the second consecutive time they give you a sick-rear end full length double barrel shotgun in the intro and then you never get to use it again, which is a grievous mistake. I got it for 20 bucks and I'd say it was worth that but only if you really liked TNO, obviously.
Are... are you sure you beat the game? Because you totally get the double-barreled shotgun again and it's awesome. It's even got its own "intro animation" when you reacquire it and everything. I don't think it's skippable, too - I'm pretty sure you have to pick it up to progress. It's on Kessler's boat under the docks when you return to the boathouse after the zombie outbreak.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Xenomrph posted:

While it's true that RtCW had supersoldiers, it's not a huge stretch that TNO retcons it so those supersoldiers were originally sourced from that tech I guess.

Are... are you sure you beat the game? Because you totally get the double-barreled shotgun again and it's awesome. It's even got its own "intro animation" when you reacquire it and everything. I don't think it's skippable, too - I'm pretty sure you have to pick it up to progress. It's on Kessler's boat under the docks when you return to the boathouse after the zombie outbreak.

The sawed-off is not the same thing at all and is way less cool, it's the principle of the thing dammit :colbert:

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Wait, in the prison you can shoot the generators and take them down that way? Sonufabitch.

I really want to replay TNO but could not stand these enemies - http://wolfenstein.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Soldier the big fat fucks with the helmets singlehandedly caused me to crank the difficulty down two notches on the level that's like a large warehouse where you have to make it to a train or some such nonsense. No idea the laserkraftwek could do much damage... I generally would try and pull out the rockets and fumble around with the weapon selection screen.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

^^^^^^^^^ if I remember right, dual-wielding the Marksman rifles in "Moonraker laser rifle" mode would mess them up, too.

CJacobs posted:

The sawed-off is not the same thing at all and is way less cool, it's the principle of the thing dammit :colbert:
What are you talking about, sawed off break-action double-barrel shotguns are automatically cooler than non-sawed off break-action double-barrel shotguns. :colbert: See also: Doom II, Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil

Speaking of shotguns, I kinda wish the Shockhammer from TOB was more than just "the automatic shotgun from TNO, reskinned, and without the awesome and hilarious ricochet shells". Like yeah the auto-shotgun was fun as heck, but I was hoping to be able to knock Nazis off their feet with a Doom-style pump-action or something.

Likewise, it felt a little bit out of place seeing VTOL drones in TOB.

Still an awesome game, mind you.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

When have the super soldiers NOT been tremendous fuckers in every aspect? :orks:

In other news I found out you can hack the turrets in the prison control room if you've saved Fergus. :stare:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Xenomrph posted:

What are you talking about, sawed off break-action double-barrel shotguns are automatically cooler than non-sawed off break-action double-barrel shotguns. :colbert: See also: Doom II, Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil

Update on this grievous misgiving: The first challenge map takes place during the intro, and therefore the shotgun you get is the double barrel one from the intro! So it's slightly less grievous than I thought, but I still really wish the TRUE moral choice in that chapter of the late game was whether or not to saw down the double barrel.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Update on this grievous misgiving: The first challenge map takes place during the intro, and therefore the shotgun you get is the double barrel one from the intro! So it's slightly less grievous than I thought, but I still really wish the TRUE moral choice in that chapter of the late game was whether or not to saw down the double barrel.

Yeah, but wasn't the barrel all hosed up and bent meaning he HAD to saw it off?

Also, I have never liked sawn off shotguns for some reason. Usually because they are less accuracy and and in every game I play, I favor accuracy over every other stat in my guns.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's probably more likely that Deathshead had the conceptual idea of the supersoldiers already and possibly had a few already, but it was only access to the cache that allowed them to become viable. Stuff like them having hard-connected power supplies then moving to self-contained power could have come about from them gaining a better understanding of the technology that they had found.

I'd imagine it be the equivalent of us finding some sort of alien technology on Earth now. it could be many, many years before we even figure out what the hell it does and how it does it depending on how far removed it is from our own knowledge.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, it was a neat little bit of backstory, because of course the first thing you yourself are going to ask is "why the loving didn't you guys ever use any of this stuff?". It's a neat little conversation between Set, Anya and Caroline. Anya totally gets what Set is saying, but Caroline is just utterly confused about why they'd make all this cool poo poo and not use any of it.

There's a lot of fun little story and details you can find if you explore the base and talk to everyone. There's a few cutscenes you get if you go to sleep on the normal bed that I didn't know about until near the end of the game so I only encountered one

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, but wasn't the barrel all hosed up and bent meaning he HAD to saw it off?

Also, I have never liked sawn off shotguns for some reason. Usually because they are less accuracy and and in every game I play, I favor accuracy over every other stat in my guns.

Yeah me, too. I favor accurate guns and high mobility; if you really need a sawn off, then you are either cornered, or you let them get too close.

I did most of my zombie killing with the assault rifle, headshots at medium range are just too easy. Tap, tap, down they go.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish BJ didn't jiggle around so much every time you move anywhere. One of my big complaints for TNO that somehow seems to be worse in The Old Blood is that it's really hard to hit poo poo while moving because BJ just refuses to hold his aim steady while you're in any kind of motion. I mean I can't really blame him because he's lugging around a knife, two pipes, two pistols, two assault rifles, a sniper rifle, three shotguns, five grenades, six throwing knives and a flare gun... but still, the camera can be a bit nauseating sometimes.

edit: And he's doing all that without a shirt for most of the game, too! Don't ask where he keeps all that stuff, you don't wanna know!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah me, too. I favor accurate guns and high mobility; if you really need a sawn off, then you are either cornered, or you let them get too close.

I did most of my zombie killing with the assault rifle, headshots at medium range are just too easy. Tap, tap, down they go.
While it may be "tactically unwise" to resort to the sawed-off, there's no denying that it's amazingly satisfying to literally blow a Nazi in half at point blank.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I found that the sawn-off accidentally fired twice way too easily, which is annoying considering the long reload animation (and the fact that the reload mash perk doesn't seem to do anything aside from wearing out my R key).

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

The fact that the zombies are priority targets for non-zombie Nazis adds an interesting element to the firefights, as well.

This was pretty cool, but is also my one minor nitpicky complaint about the game: the game does suffer from the problem that many others do, that when there's more than one "enemy faction" or what ever you want to call it, they're all immediately gunning for you. Like in GTA where you'd be getting shot at by gangs, the police would show up and would start shooting at you too. I'd be trying to stealth, kill a nazi, he'd reanimate then get attacked by the other nazis in the area and then they'd sound the alarm, using psychic powers to know where I was hiding. Just a minor AI nitpick and it only happened a few times, but thems video games!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah the zombies kind of ruin the stealth in the endgame which sucks, especially because you don't know whether or not they're going to reanimate. You can prevent it if you explode the enemy's head, but you can't do that with the silenced pistol if they're wearing a helmet.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I feel like a greedy bastard for even thinking it after 2 awesome releases so close together, but has there been any talk/news yet of a full sequel? I'm looking forward so hard to blowing away Nazis on a Venusian floating city and wrecking their orbital laser.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 20, 2015

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I feel like a greedy bastard for even thinking it after 2 awesome releases so close together, but has there been any talk/news yet of a full sequel? I'm looking forward so hard to blowing away Nazis on a Venusian floating city and wrecking their orbital laser.

This expansion is a two parter so we'll see more soon

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

echronorian posted:

Where did you hear this?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Billie Jean Blazkowicz blowing away the Boys from Brazil with Caroline in Power Armor and Anya the General. Make it happen, Machinegames.

:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

echronorian posted:

I find this hard to believe as the expansion ended just before the very beginning of TNO.

• Locked thread