Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

ImpAtom posted:

Maybe it's the new Dr. Doom!

That's what I thought when I saw it. The shade of green seems right and he seems to be wearing a grey/metal mask.

E:

Yvonmukluk posted:

FINALLY, Laura's not calling herself X-23 any more. That'd be like Logan calling himself Weapon X.

Or Wade Wilson calling himself Deadpool :v:.

(It might be confusing having Logan and Wolverine around for a while but yeah I think it'd be a good thing for her to change names, although iirc isn't she supposed to already have an X-men name, Talon or something?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I think people have adjusted well enough to there being two Hawkeyes they can manage two Wolverines.

I adjusted to it so well I actually totally forgot about that despite getting caught up on Hawkeye last week :downs:. I think having Logan and X-23/Wolverine be fine.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 5, 2015

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I get the symbolism behind X-23 putting on Wolverine's original outfit and calling herself Wolverine, but yeah I kinda hope that once she builds up her Wolverine-cred a bit, she realizes she doesn't need to inherit Logan's poor taste in clothes and at the very least picks better colors.

Agent_grey posted:

OK I tried looking this up but apparently my google fu is sub par today, can you elaborate?

No information on this being the result of an argument on Usenet (but it wouldn't be surprising that a comicbook writer would be on Usenet in the mid 90s), but according to Comicbookdb.com

quote:

During Peter David's run on the Hulk series, the title character went into space and David addressed reader requests for Rocket's reappearance by implying that he had been killed by the aliens known as the Troyjans, who had a pelt mounted on the wall that looked like Rocket's. With Rocket reappearing alive after this story, it can be assumed that the pelt belonged to some other raccoon instead.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Land draws good X-Men comics.

Through extensive research (see: googling X-Men Greg Land) I can conclude that this is not the case.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Does quicksilver get any comics where he's the main hero? Are there any like collections of quicksilver comics or anthologies of quicksilver related stuff? Looking for a gift for a friend who absolutely adores quicksilver.

If you're willing to settle for a team, he's a core team member on All-New X-Factor.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Skwirl posted:

With a side helping of "middle aged white men."

And for dessert, "Internet can make angry knee-jerk reacting assholes seem like a bigger group than they are"/ "people don't have really strong responses to stuff unless they're really angry or really excited, and it's always easier to be really angry".

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Laura's his clone/basically daughter so having her take up that mantle makes sense to me, personally. :shrug:

To be fair, taking on her former mentor/original copy's clothes and name could be seen as a step back her whole attempt to become a person/find herself, but I'm more concerned about that in the sense that "this is a possible way that change could be handled badly" rather than actually convinced it will be handled badly. I'm pretty excited for and looking forward to it.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

It's gonna start to be weird when he and Xavier are over a hundred years old.

Before he died, Wolverine was over 120 years old. Yeah, his regeneration justified it pretty well, but my point is this isn't the first time X-Men have had really old dudes running around justified by superpowers/mutations. Maybe longevity is just a side benefit of magnetism.

To be fair, as much as I like him, I think Magneto has been around too long and it wouldn't be a bad thing to kill him off, but the character's age isn't really that big of a deal.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Iirc Spider-Gwen's Peter became a lizard because he was obsessed with becoming a super hero like Spider-Gwen.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

I think this is probably the best option. Hell, you could even give him (or her) magnetic powers and have them call themselves Magneto. Full-tilt legacy character upholding the mission of the original. They do it for heroes, they can do it for villains.

But don't goddamn racebend an actual persecuted minority because apparently white Americans can't sympathize with Auschwitz victims anymore.

I think it would be kinda hilarious/awesome to have X-23 become Wolverine while Polaris becomes Magneto. She's definitely not the same person Magneto is, but that's kinda the point of having someone take up someone else's name :v:.

Then we just need Emma Frost to start calling herself "Professor X" :getin:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I think Benids is pretty cool. Had a dumb idea here and there, isn't too big on continuity with earlier stuff but is pretty cool overall.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

From what I recall, most delays in the past were due to Aja, but for this latest delay for #22, he was ready a month in advance and Marvel is just sitting on it for unknown reasons.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Axis Carnage and Hobgoblin were good. Everything else from Axis ranged from okay to pretty bad.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

X-Men '92 will be amazing or awful, you'll probably be able to tell which just by looking at the cover and asking "what did I think of the X-Men cartoon?"

Runaways is basically an X-Men high-school comicbook. Once again, that should basically tell you if you like it or not.

Old Man Logan is cool.

Infinity Gauntlet was pretty good, normally I don't care about Nova but it had some good family drama.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

lotus circle posted:

There's a number of titles that weren't leaked that we know for sure are happening, so there's more in store.

At the very least, we're positive there will be a Black Panther series that hasn't been announced, and I'd be surprised if we didn't see a series with Black Widow in it somewhere, so we've probably got at least 1 more major release announcement before Secret Wars ends.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

zoux posted:

Also Songbird's waist seems a bit...unattainable.

Plus her arms look like she either has no arm bones, or has severe muscle atrophy. I get that not every character should be swole, but Songbird actually looks like she is severely malnourished.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

A Carnage book just sounds so boring because Carnage as a character is just a straight up serial killer. I hate to judge the book based purely on my impression of past versions of Carnage, but I just don't see how you'd make a story from Carnage's perspective interesting, other than Axis: Carnage which was great but Carnage has reverted to normal since then so he's back to just being a dude who likes killing people.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Rhyno posted:

AXIS Carnage was the best Carnage series EVER. Maybe they can do something like that?

Yeah, having Carnage fight a bunch of heroes could be fun too but the cover and tagline from the leak makes me think they want the story to focus more on Carnage/Cletus as a person, but other than the AXIS version of Carnage, there's not really much going on in his head other than planning more murders.

SynthOrange posted:

Is that carnage memorial statue still standing?

I don't think Carnage ever destroyed it but he also told Nova he wanted to kill Nova to get rid of any evidence of what he did during AXIS, so presumably he might have destroyed the literal memorial to what he did during AXIS off-screen at some point.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Counterpoint: Spider-Gwen #1 and Spider-Woman #1 weren't really great starting points! :buddy:

Counter-Counterpoint: I read Spider-Gwen without reading anything else Spider-related in a long time and felt fine. Sure, had to piece together some stuff but the "Previously on..." page helped me out.

I don't have many thoughts on yearly resets to #1. I guess if you want? I'm sorta used to asking the Internet everything so I can handle doing research to find out that Batgirl #35 is a good jumping on point, but I can appreciate people feeling that there should be a better way.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

Yes. And young Angel is in All-New X-Men.

IIRC, he's specifically listed as Archangel in the leak/preview of All-New, but if it is young Angel then that doesn't really make sense.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

So, so far we have:

Miles Morales
Old Man Logan
Ultimate Reed

coming over. Am I missing anyone?

Old Man Barton will be in Hawkeye, as will Lady Katherine (1602 Kate Bishop).

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

Is Old Man Hawkeye in a current Secret Wars Tie-In? I keep seeing it talked about that he's coming over but I can't remember seeing him in any of the books I'm reading yet. It's not the Old Hawkeye from that future arc of Hickman's Avengers is it?

So far, nothing. He might appear in Old Man Logan, but so far I think OML has just been hanging out with mutants.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

On the one hand, Bendis could be loving with us but he also added young versions of Cyclops, Iceman, Angel and Beast all hanging out with their present versions so an Ultimate Kitty that is in space all the time, wears the Star Lord mask, etc wouldn't really be that big of a problem especially if the Ultimate and 616 Kittys just never meet.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

Unironically this.

Hopeless will redeem himself for Avengers Arena if All-New X-Men ends with all of the past X-Men getting covered in X-23's trigger scent and the last issue is her murdering them.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Fritzler posted:

Edit: I only read one issue of Wolverines. Did it get better? Did people like it? I like Charles Soule well enough, I could try reading more if people like it.

As others mentioned, Soule doesn't write the whole thing, the writing varies wildly in terms of quality, everyone spends the book trying to out-idiot each other and the rare good moments burried in the book are not worth the terrible ending.

Without spoiling much, there are a couple of legitimately good scenes like Deadpool's scenes and Logan getting drunk, but even those scenes are buried in between terrible scenes (DP is introduced into the story by a new character Fantomelle who despite having a lot of screen time and being created for the series didn't really do anything other than set up an okay DP joke, and the Logan drunk scene is a flashback by an alien character whose arc dragged)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Mystique is pretty cool, she's badass and stuff.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Robot Danger posted:

I'll probably check it out. And I'm sorry if this has been asked a lot but this is this going to be a completely new origins story to replace the old universe? When is Doctor Strange suppose to launch? I'm kind of excited to get most of the old Defenders guys in their own titles.

edit - origins of the Hulk

The Marvel universe isn't being replaced/rebooted so much as a lot of teams/character titles are going to swap around (ex: the Guardians are picking up 3 new members, there's going to be a new Hulk, Wolverine and Captain America, etc) and some new characters are being added from different universes that are ending (Ultimate characters, Old Man Logan and Barton, etc). But it is going to be a jumping-on point with a new Hulk.

League of Comic Geeks is telling me Doctor Strange #1 will be October 7th.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Ms. Marvel definetly is popular but I don't think she has given the other Inhumans much spill over popularity other than maybe Lockjaw. If someone silently unmade her an Inhuman I doubt anyone would notice.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Unmature posted:

I didn't even know she was an Inhuman.

The only reason I remember is because I was looking through the covers of the recent Ms Marvel run and saw the issue with Medusa and Lockjaw on the cover and skimmed through it to remember why Ms Marvel went to see her. To be honest if they did have Ms Marvel hang out with the other Inhumans a lot (other than Lockjaw of course) I'd probably be a lot less interested in Ms. Marvel.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Do we know for sure if Deadpool is going to be an Avenger or is he just going to be tagging along with the Uncanny Avengers like he did in Secret Avengers? As much as Deadpool has toned down from "legit sociopath other characters are horrified by" to "wacky nonsense talking fun guy who has questionable ethics", it would still be a pretty big change to outright let Deadpool join the Avengers.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes the writer has said it and if you have been reading his current Deadpool run you know that him and Cap are pals.

Ah sweet :buddy:. I read part of Duggan's Deadpool including the part with the trip to North Korea. I didn't read much past it so I don't know if that's what you're refering to with the two of them being pals but thinking back to it I can see why Cap might at least be more sympathetic to Deadpool after that trip.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Yes,actually. I'm not going to say you shouldn't kill Carnage, but it's different from the beaches of Normandy.

I would buy that if anyone had hopes that Carnage/Cletus could reform and become at least a non-psycopathic criminal, but from what I can tell even Spider-man doesn't really think that's ever going to happen and he's just going to have to stay in jail the rest of his life, but a) he keeps breaking out, and b) every time he breaks out he always reverts to wonton murder almost immedietally. Like I get that a hero that doesn't kill needs a really evil villain that tests their policy, but I feel that only really works if anyone even humors the idea of the villain reforming or getting better.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 16, 2015

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Skwirl posted:

You're right, Spider-Man should carry a gun.

:confused: I'm not sure what you mean. I wasn't saying "Spider-man should become the Punisher because Carnage is really evil", I was saying that comparing killing Carnage to killing a Nazi SS officer/soldier isn't a bad comparison because Carnage is basically a caricature of a Nazi. "All he wants to do is kill, not even for any reason in particular. Also he's immune to modern psychology so you can never make him want to stop killing*. Also prisons can't hold him, he'll just break out whenever he wants. Or just keep killing people in prison. Also he has superpowers that make him want to kill even more and make him even better at it. Basically if Cletus or the Carnage symbiote are alive he'll keep killing". I dunno maybe I'm just not that well read on Carnage but from what I recall of him he's basically a murderbot while other Spider-man villains like Venom, Norman Osborn, Kingpin, etc are at least people who can in theory (and in practice in the case of Venom) change or at least be contained in prisons.

*(except for world-altering magic that has only ever been used once)

E: Although iirc at some point the Carnage symbiote has resurrected Cletus after being murdered so I guess talking about if it's okay to kill him is moot since he's largely immortal.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Also what gives him the right to kill Carnage? Where does it begin or end. If they can kill they are the ones who make the decision and leads to God Emperors.

Well in Carnage USA, because Carnage seceded from the USA and the USA has made its position on secession very clear.

More to the point, if Cap has such a strong no-kill policy, he really dropped the ball on getting Logan to answer for or at least stop committing murders, and the new Wolverine's not looking much better. I'm just saying that if Cap doesn't feel up to it, he could just let his old buddy Logan/Laura :ese: Carnage for him.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

There are multiple practical reasons they don't kill villains. Villains tend to be popular in their own right and readers want them to stick around, from a merchandising perspective they want set villains for easier marketing and writers don't want to be constantly coming up with new unique villains.

Well yes, and that's why I think actually seriously arguing if Spider-man has a moral/ethical obligation to kill Carnage/any villain is pointless. All I wanted to say was once you're arguing "When is it okay for heroes to kill?", I don't really see a good reason to put Carnage below/say it's less okay to kill Carnage than the Nazi soldiers Cap did kill. :shobon:

For the record comics would be incredibly boring for me if everyone was Punisher/Wolverine. Sure, it'd also be dumb if nobody ever killed and these characters have their place, but a) the argument that superheroes are inherently fascist gets way more awkward when the 'heroes' are all summarily executing people (especially superpowered heroes executing unpowered villains), b) you either can't have recurring villains for too long or have to come up with increasingly contrived reasons why Cap isn't going to execute Red Skull this week despite having no problem murdering all his henchmen, c) I'd like it if comicbooks at least paid lip service to the idea that criminals are people too and can even stop being criminals if you give them a chance, and d) your hero will become incredibly unlikable when he's curbstomping villains who aren't evil incarnate to death.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Fereydun posted:

uh, hello he's been a fantastic hero

He even made his own theme song :3

(does it count as :filez: if we all just post our favorite pages of Axis: Carnage and it just so happens all of them are great :ohdear: )

I loved Axis: Carnage. I would totally read an ongoing series about him, whether a funny series like A:C was, or a more serious one about the inner turmoil of a former serial killer. It would basically give him the same character arc as Venom and as Wanderer mentioned, Carnage is solidly past the "Joker Threshold" and there's no way even Spider-Man could accept his reformation in the long run, but it's easily the most fun/interesting version of Carnage I ever read.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 17, 2015

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

I guess I kinda had the benefit of reading 1602 Witchhunter #1 (where it was a bit more blatant) and then going back and reading all of Angela: Agard's Assassin, but I felt it was about as obvious as you could get short of having them make out onpanel. Plus Marguerite Bennett really doesn't seem like the kind of writer to do *winkwinknudgenudge* 'gay but not really nohomo' stuff.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

So she's a witch again. I like that. Her mutant power being probability manipulation which is articulated or expressed via witchcraft was a neat idea. I understand why they backed away from that for the movie but I'm happy to see the character move back in that direction.

Does she still have probability manipulation powers if she's not a mutant anymore? I know Quicksilver has his speed but I can't remember if Scarlet Witch has anything other than magic.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

The amount of people constantly questioning if Magneto is Jewish, on top of the amount of times it happens, despite the fact that he's been depicted as Jewish for decades at this point...is kinda creepy, guys.

To be fair, the question was specifically 'was he Jewish prior to the X-Men films' but yeah, he's been Jewish since before the films and writers have been writing him as Jewish well before the films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

The Question IRL posted:

Only in the Coda the Vision reveals THAT was a lie and the truth about who their parents are would shatter them. And doesn't reveal it to anyone.

So as of now I guess ANYBODY could be Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver ' s parents.

And now both Vision and SW have solo series that seem to have nothing to do with SW/QS's parentage (SW's writer had an interview today where he said he wanted the big focus to be on SW herself and saw Magneto not being her dad as a good way to unburden her character from that powerful familial relation, so it seems unlikely he'd make her big story 'finding a new dad to live in the shadow of').

I'm still holding out hope that Marvel sees how dumb this all is and just pretends this whole mess never happened, but that's probably not going to be for a while if it happens at all :(.

• Locked thread