Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

I just caught up with the latest issues.

Is Tony having the bandage on his nose supposed to show New Avengers is after Avengers, or did something happen in a previous NA issue I forgot?

Pretty sure its just to indicate that it takes place after Avengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The problem with Strange is that he's crazy loving powerful so the only way you can get him in a position or conflict or struggle is to de-power him and that's a lovely thing to write about.

Like deadpool said, he's way better in small doses that allow him to be awesome then go back to drinking tea.

I don't know, I'm pretty sure Hickman is going to be able to do something interesting with Strange selling his soul to become even more powerful.

Actually that might be an interesting start for a mini or ongoing. Dr. Strange in Hell.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tremendous Taste posted:

Does this incursion run start at #1? I'm interested to see how a DC power set works in a Marvel universe.

The first issue of New Avengers by Hickman is the start of incursions. But the Justice League Great Society stuff only started a couple issues ago.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

team overhead smash posted:

I think he proved himself as reliable in Infinity and in the run up to it, as well as having Black Bolt vouching for him (Which is just something Black Bolt seems to do because... whatever).

I seem to remember Maximus being important and helpful to Black Bolt in War of Kings, but I can't actually think of why that is.

Most of that event has disappeared from my brain.

Oh yeah, he also stopped the destruction of the world, via one of the horrible things the Illuminati built.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 17, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

redbackground posted:

Well, that solves one incursion.

My understanding was that in universes where Earth was destroyed, incursions didn't threaten them anymore. Hence the point of Infinity.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kaleidoscope posted:

Isn't destroying an earth a stop gap? Eventually the incursions lead to the death of the multiverse.
My understanding is that two earths collide, one dies and the other still gets incursions, but the rest of the dead Earth's universe exists. This started with Black Swan destroying another Earth while hoping onto 616. If neither Earth is exploded, both universes implode.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Superstring posted:

No, if both Earth's collide, both universes are destroyed. If one Earth is destroyed, the universe with no Earth is safe from Incursions. The surviving Earth continues to receive Incursions.

I worded it poorly, but that's what I meant.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

It's just as well, if Earth became sentient it'd probably get pretty pissed off at humans pretty quick.

"You did WHAT to the ozone layer?" Asks Giant Booming Voice From Center Of Earth

It'd basically be this, just replace "God" with "Sentient Earth"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrahQpIWD08

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This is the best news.

Edit: I googled Luke Ross because I didn't recognize the name, apparently it's being illustrated by some 14 year old Disney star (I kid, but I was very confused by the first pictures that popped up in google).

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 25, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

someone else doesn't havw any cracks leading to them: Cap. Namor is the kind of guy who'd blow up someone else's world to save both universes. Cap would of course try to find another way, but he's also the kind of guy who would blow up his own world to save all the other worlds.

There's a tiny little crack pointing at Cap.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

Thirdly, unless this story isn't finished then Hawkeye was wrong. Tony Stark being present did not in any way change the outcome of the fight with Great Society. Then again, maybe that was the point that time travel doesn't allow you to make significant changes. Franklin Richards does talk about that a lot.

Tony did change the outcome, his repulsor stopped Strange, who knows what that elder god that was taking him over would have done. Maybe it would have destroyed the other Earth then attacked 616 Earth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

First Bass posted:

Calling it now that the last incursion will be 616 with Ultimates. :unsmigghh:

Just dropping into the middle of NA too, it took me a bit to realize the significance behind Black Swan's name and know it wasn't just a dumb goth supervillain name.

Don't feel too bad, I've been reading since the beginning and at first I thought it was a reference to the Natalie Portman film. In retrospect it's one of the most obvious names in villain history.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I'm not getting it. What's the meaning to her name?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swan_theory

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

As much as I love New Avengers, I think it's hilarious that Hank Pym has been basically toxic waste as a character for decades now, because he hit his wife during an emotional breakdown (doesn't excuse it, but Peter Parker has done the same thing) but I'd bet within 2 years of the end of Hickman's run on Avengers/New Avengers, Namor is going to be in another book as a major character.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There have been a couple of semi-public incursions. Mainly in Ellis Island and Latveria.

SirDan said it first, but New York basically experiences an alien invasion once or twice a month, and given the kind of experiments Doom likely does, that can't be the weirdest thing Latveria's ever seen in their sky.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

FYI the whole Valeria-with-Doom thing is part of the current Fantastic Four run, which is another "the family has FALLEN APART whatever shall we do???" storyline.

Is it any good? I figured that was what was happening, but I haven't been reading the book.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

rkajdi posted:

This is where the one year jump happens, right? I just wonder if the book is basically going to be about the remainder of the Illuminati fighting the Cabal, or if the book just becomes Hickman's Dark Avengers. Either seems cool at the moment.

Oh poo poo, I forgot about the time jump. God drat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

And removes your ability to even try to fix things.

I'm surprised we haven't seen any of the established alternate Earths. There's got to be a few of those that nobody will use again.

It would be slightly funny if they just killed Zombie Earth and no one cared.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Is there going to be another New Avengers issue before the time line jump of 8 months? Because I know Avengers 34 is the last issue before the jump.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah I'm just surprised he's moping about it at all considering he unleashed Cthulhu to eat an entire alternate Earth, and that he didnt get an invite to the Cabal.

He killed some Super-mopes who were fighting his friends (by unleashing an almost unstoppable monster that would likely have devoured the world) but once he got that out of his system, he found he didn't like the taste in his mouth.

Basically, in a moment of crisis, he made an unforgivable choice, but when brought back into the present, and had time to think about it he couldn't do it again. His reluctance to pull the trigger makes the most sense out of all of them. He killed 5 (I think, I don't have the issue handy) good people and once he had control again wouldn't kill another 6 billion.

Reed not pulling the trigger makes the least sense, since in Hickman's own Fantastic Four he doomed galaxies because it wouldn't allow him to spend enough time with his kids (and he's a terrible father, that's a weird thing to doom galaxies because you love your family, and still not be there for them).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tulul posted:

The problem is not what Namor chose to do. Which is to say, you can at least construct a fair argument that he did the right thing in that scenario. The problem is every single choice that led up to that scenario. It was not a situation that fell into their laps out of the sky; it was something they knew about well in advance and possibly could have prevented through very simple things like "tell other people about the imminent end of existence", but chose not to. The problem starts waaaaay back when they started doing the hard men making hard decisions routine. They set themselves on the path that led to destroying worlds. Namor being the only one with the guts to follow through on it doesn't absolve him of going down that path in the first place.

I agree completely, they're all complicit in it, Namor is a god damned monster, but the rest of them are just as bad, and became that bad as soon as they decided to mind wipe Captain America and start building bombs.

It's kinda weird that I love a book starring a group of :godwin:s so much. I take comfort in the fact that it's fiction.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

It almost certainly doesn't apply to Reed, Bruce and Tony. (Unless he's going to argue he's a citizen of that Stark City place, in which case I think he would have had to forfeit his US Citizenship, which he hasn't done.)

I wouldn't be surprised if America or Russia granted Reed, Bruce, Tony and maybe Hank the same sort of amnesty they both gave to whatever German rocket scientists they could grab after WW2.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

First Bass posted:

The council of Kangs trying to save the multiverse was awesome, and I can't imagine any ending to this storyline where I won't feel like the resolution is forced to fit within the boxed narrative of "Cap was right". I'm on Kang's side.

I don't think I could ever buy a narrative of "Cap was wrong," unless maybe it was quickly followed up with "Cap quickly realized his mistake, and got on the right side." I don't think that's going to be the case here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hyperion was in the final fight against Thanos and crew but he mostly fought Corvus. Marvel and Cap fought Proxima and Hulk/Thor fought Thanos.

Starbrand basically handled the pirate fleet by himself and never made it for any of the Earth fight.

And the battle was won by Thanos' kid using a new power. What the hell is he up to these days?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

I'm not getting this logic, and several people have brought it up - The illuminati has had the EXACT SAME VICTORIES as the Great Society.

Victory 1. Infinity Gauntlet/Imagination Box or whateverthefuck is used to undo a single incursion. Infinity Gauntlet/box breaks.

Victory 2. It's already a dead world, the Mapmakers killed it. The Great Society blows up the other earth, just like the Illuminati did.

Victory 3. "We don't talk about that" - presumably this was someone (possibly a villain) blowing up a populated planet. If it was an actual solution they would either share it, or be ready to use it again, or both.

I'm not seeing how the HOPE of the Great Society helped at all here. Hell, the Great Society got it off worse - the Illuminati can blow up Mapmaker worlds with a bomb nice and clean, while Norn had to use super awful terrible bad black magic to sacrifice his future lives just to blow up a dead world. If the Illuminati hadn't shown up there, the Great Society certainly didn't have a plan in mind to fix anything in the extremely short time they had left. Both worlds would have died. Who knows, maybe they should have told more people in the beginning, but like many people have said that had just as much chance of backfiring - there's a whole universe of people who would rather destroy earth than let the near-infinite number of people alive in the entire universe die.

Not every problem in the universe is going to have an option that lets everyone get out with squeaky-clean morality and zero blood on their hands, and while sure the illuminati may have done things the wrong way, I'm not sure that Cap's kneejerk reaction to let an essentially infinite number of people die rather than compromise his ideals is really an alternative.
It'd be one thing if anyone had some sort of even far-fetched idea that was an alternative, but not only did he not, there's an infinite number of universes that has probably tried virtually every possible method of stopping an incursion - this should be a clue that you can't just pull a magic solution out of your rear end in 8 hours.

The point is the great society never built bombs because that would give them option to blow up a populated world which is something they could never consider, whereas giant bombs was literally the Illuminati's second idea.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

Yeah, and the great society is dead along with their world and the Illuminati is not. And they're considerably more powerful than the Avengers.

Yeah, and the definitions of morality and ethics, not to mention superhero all revolve around "the last one standing"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wolpertinger posted:

Yeah, and it's pretty immoral to doom your two entire universes to annihilation by sitting on your hands and doing nothing. Remember, doing nothing kills exponentially more - and your planet's dead anyway. In the grand scheme of things, the Earth is prolly like not even 0.1% of the population of the galaxy, and the galaxy is probably one in a million galaxies. There are no options where a planet does not die, here, except for the once-per-universe freebie with the Infinity Gauntlet.

Building world killing bombs take time and effort that could be put towards finding a solution that isn't a world killing bomb.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Flergatron 3000 posted:

It was the living tribunal wasn't it?

Not anymore.

I keep waiting for a follow up to that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Goon posted:

With all of the major changes happening in the Marvel Universe - Thor Woman and Armless Odinson, Black Captain America and geriatric Steve, Super-Evil Iron Man, dead Wolverine, dead brainless Xavier, Brainiac Hulk, etc. etc. - anyone who thinks Marvel isn't moving towards a line-wide reboot in a year or so is delusional.

At this point all of the characters listed above are just as immutable as Bruce Wayne Batman and Clark Kent Superman, whether they like it or not.

I get the feeling Marvel is shaking up all of its properties just to say it did and that it was the "progressive" company first before it all gets wiped away.

Change is good, but this much drastic change this quickly to this many major money-maker characters? It's not the way to make the change actually last.

While I'm certain most of these changes will get reverted in the next couple of years, I very seriously doubt Marvel is planning a New 52 style complete revamp, or even a Heroes Reborn redux where it get's reset at the same time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Thurm posted:

I wonder if he's the guy Reed and Tony talked to just before Infinity.

Can someone post the panels? I don't remember this specific scene.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

That's another reason that, I think, Marvel has a bit more freedom with their wares, since Disney is bascially looking at the funnybooks as a nice IP farm for their megablockbuster flicks.

Meanwhile TW uses DC characters for TV and a cartoon, but is pretty hateful of the actual comics part.

It's worth noting Time-Warner has owned DC for a lot longer than Disney has owned Marvel, and Disney bought Marvel because they were already making successful movies, so I doubt Disney going going to pay much attention to the comics side unless the movies stop selling. The only other thing they seem to care about is mediocre children's cartoons.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jiro posted:

Gravity Falls is anything but mediocre! :argh:

I was referring to the shows they have based on Marvel properties like Avengers Assemble and Ultimate Spider-Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It helps a lot if you think of comics continuity the same way you think of greek or norse or whatever mythology. It all loosely fits together, but often there's contradictory tellings of the same story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Red Skull's worn a mask most of the time. He had a real skull face for most of the 90s but that was a temporary situation. For some reason they always make it a real skull face in movie adaptations.

The reason is because its loving awesome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If Steve Rogers punched Tony Stark in the face every time Stark deserved it, Tony Stark's secret identity would be Marshmallow Face Man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

rkajdi posted:

The Skull also ran the camp Magneto was in, so there's even personal history between the two. I know people like to hate on Remender now, but this plotline seems completely organic from the characters' histories.

I haven't read it (or any of Uncanny Avengers) but I think what people are complaining about is Rogue, a member of several teams that have killed in the past for the greater good, bitching out a holocaust survivor for killing a literal Nazi.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

goldenoreos posted:

All I know from AXIS is that Nova, Spider-Man, and Old Cap are teaming up so I definitely want to see that. Really I just want Old Cap to punch Onskullaught in the face.

poo poo, that sounds pretty awesome. Am I going to have to follow SIXIS?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wachter posted:

rear end in a top hat Tony might be of consequence, but it's difficult to tell whether that'll be a product of Axis or Hickman's Avengers.

Can we just admit Tony Stark is a goddamned rear end in a top hat at this point? Even when he's right he's right in the worst possible way usually. He makes Reed Richards look like Mr. Rogers by comparison.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madrox posted:

Also of note this issue, Hickman counters any sperging over the time-frame of Cannonball and Smasher's baby with a single line of dialogue.

I loved that bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

That is a funny avatar/post combo. :)

Is that the Ultimate version of Cap? I thought our Cap was Steve Rogers, and he's reverted to what he was in House of M, old vet codger.

I'm pretty sure that's Sam Wilson Cap they're talking about.

• Locked thread