Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Axe-man posted:

Hey you guys still play this game? I lost everything in the account transfer, I sure love leveling my level 40 again, and attempting to buy my ships again with most of their prices increased. :shepface:

I'm @Axe-man for secret global channel/maybe fleet if it still exists or whatever invite

Axe! No! Don't touch it! It's evil!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The Borg were a threat because they broke Trek's rules: they couldn't be bargained or reasoned with, they couldn't be tricked, and their philosophy of mechanized utility and redundancy made them extraordinarily difficult to deal with martially. As Q noted, they were the ultimate user. They were Trek's zombie horde.

It wasn't Voyager that wrecked them as a villain, though it did a fine job of making them less and less a credible threat, it was Generations. Prior to that, they were monolithic: a great big neural net made up of bodies moving in lockstep, a ham-fisted metaphor for anxieties over concepts like transhumanism, a computer that said 'gently caress off' to the kind of logic tricks that Captain Kirk used to get away with. Giving them a self-aware Queen gave the Trek writers the same goddamn kind of megalomaniac that Trek characters have been weaving their way around since Khan, with the same traditional outcome.

Voyager just made them increasingly degenerate. How many variations on 'separated from the Collective, weird psychological experiments happen' were there in the end? Since when do Borg bargain? And really-- infiltrating Unimatrix Zero by volunteering for assimilation? Come on. In a series characterized by lovely contrivances and hitting the reset button like it was wired into the writers' pleasure centers, the V-Borg stood out as particularly absurd, given where they came from.

I don't mind the state they're at in STO, on the other hand. As Q (and Seven) noted, they're users. They strip-mine, they assimilate useful bits of biology and technology, they adapt, but they don't create. If they went around, mopping up most of the Delta quadrant and leaving the survivors to hide and avoid them, that doesn't leave them picking up many innovations compared to Alpha quadrant cultures that are vital, have been engaged in vicious conflict multiple times in the last century and change, and have a vested interest in rescuing people from the cyber-zombies or burning them down before they can adapt and spread.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
gently caress me and my early onset senility. :(

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Furiously posted:

You used to have to go to neverwinter to delete your sto mails.

Now that's cross-pollination!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Janeway leaping around, putting self-sealing stakes in borg while wrestling with her feelings for Chakotay, would have been pretty entertaining too.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

I can't source it, but I once heard that they didn't actually have a proper series bible. Leaving the writers to fly by the seat of their pants would help to explain the irregular characterization, spotty memories and awkward flirtation with continuity.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Aleth posted:

Delta V shield pic dump:

Eerie, they look like plastic models.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That is the post of a man high on his own farts.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

I have this overwhelming urge to reach through my monitor and slap the dick out of stoleviathan's mouth. Again.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised they didn't claim to be a disguised chakat.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I still can't believe they used the Moonstone Mask instead of some other random tavern. The place used to be a brothel, in the lore, and it was still filled with 'courtesans' when I played at launch. That's just asking for creepy morons.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
And you know what happened to Captain Pike in the end.

That's right.

He went off to live with the psychic old ladies with butts on their heads.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I may need to come back for the Dyson Sphere minipet, so I can join the chorus making Death Star jokes.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping for a Risian Frisbee.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
According to that :nws: link, moderators can't do anything in the general discussion forum-- they need to find an admin, instead.

What kind of idiotic-- oh, nevermind. It's STO.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

FrostyJones posted:

Not MLA formatted, no thesis, obvious padding bordering going off on a tangent, improper grammar and several spelling mistakes. 3/10 would not even trust this pubbie to fetch reverse-polarized blinker fluid. Recommending he write another essay on the ethics and methods of brony rehabilitation after spending time among them in the field.

Pretty sure it's plagiarized in places, too.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'd attend, and donate whatever of my crap they might find useful, but patching would eat a significant portion of my bandwidth for the month. Bah.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Tuskin38 posted:

Another shot of the resolute

Looks like every ship forward is going to get the "Intrepid" windows and escape pods option.

They should come with every ship.

Is that a plasmonic tick drinking from the underside of the... spade?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I just come here for the thread.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I think I just gave that free T6 thing to my old farming account.

Oh well!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Visited with an old, good friend for the first time in almost a year yesterday. He's still playing regularly, thinks everything's fine and, at worst, the Featured Episode bonuses make up for the horrifying grinds.

I fear for his children.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I had to put a rag under my monitor to catch all the condescension dripping from that mail.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I would still love to see a coder correct the Orion skin tone palette, and force the change out across the game's population.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Good grief, who is this admiralkogar?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

DonDoodles posted:

Woah, hey! It looks like Protogoth did, in fact, get banned from the STO forums, though not from the Green Orions thread. Anyone know what happened?

He really has an entire bugship up his rear end about having to wear a scarlet letter. It's amazing.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to guess some variation on 'love the sinner, hate the sin', given his whackadoodle claim that Trendy needed psychiatric help.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

fakemirage posted:

Looks like Adventure Rat decided to take on homosexuality on his deviantart page (oh the irony):

I, um, think that may actually be against DA's terms of service.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

Fringe was good so maybe there's hope?

Fringe is nothing like Star Trek though. :sigh:

I might watch another Trek if it had John Noble in it.

Tuskin38 posted:

Season 4 was a freaking amazing Season, except the finale was a pile of horse poo poo.

I really didn't care for Enterprise, but I watched the finale with friends and I am still angry at it. It's not because it was a lovely waste of an hour, which it was, but because it was such an insult to the cast, Bakula in particular.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Poke or page to chat. It's always weird when these people don't quite realize they're not on a MUCK.

And I think the captain of the Ted Cruz, being named for three of the ninja turtles, might be a troll. Just guessin'.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Ratzap posted:

I saw this charming fellow a couple of days ago and took a picture for you. You can almost envisage the guy marking off the spreadsheet: German fleet - check, dodgy filter avoiding name - check, char creation effort to match historical monster - check.

A Bajoran nose appliance would have been perfect.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

Took advantage of the sale to use fake money I didn't pay for to buy a presidio. I got it mostly for the trait, but while I fly it I want it blinged out as much as possible.

I also have one in a stunning shade of pink. Increased ship colors is the best addition to the game in the last year.
Plus, it turns out that between consoles and traits it is a driftu machine.

Man, that reminds me of a boat from Earth and Beyond.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Between the alien designs, the enemy drone thingies, and the background music, I thought someone had finally made a Star Trek vs Star Wars: the Nerdiest loving Argument Ever parody.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

DonDoodles posted:

Someone entered him into my "worst pubbie bio" contest. He got incredibly angry and offended, then went on a racist rant about the benefits of slavery. I don't know if there's a pastebin floating around or not.

I wonder if this dalek nanite poo poo and shouting exterminate is related to that Doctor Who/Star Trek crossover comic from a while back.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Love the one dink threatening to take his precious giveaways away.

And jesus, it appalls me to see so many people who don't realize there is both a letter of the law, and a spirit of the law.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
And of course the git's in a band. Probably lead guitar, like all of the other fantasists.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

LordCo posted:

Russian kid does a bang on impersonation of Xean in this minecraft clip.

Warning - turn the volume down, the screeching gets pretty loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYB4v8uThXc

Holy gently caress, and I thought the Cloudsong clip was bad.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to assume that the Sword of Omens was a coder gag.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I thought they were those wooden not-dick statues on Raisa.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Mrit posted:

I'd be down for this, I want more story on what happened to the Ferengi people after DS9. Plus they are always fun.

If I can fill a foundry mission with clones of that screaming one, I may come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Transport Beowulf. I wonder if that's a reference to Traveller?

• Locked thread