Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
We're Fleet Admirals and Dahar Masters choosing which group of talaxians get brutally massacred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Goat Pillager posted:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9048733

A "Build a doff" contest is going on. I think everyone could use Butts or Nbreeki as a doff. The buffs of course should apply to disco.

Edit: Maybe a Xean doff as well that actually debuffs you or applies random confuse effects to your crew.

Here's a blank one for you to use:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Nbreeki, we need a good three-quarters headshot of your character on a neutral or black background, please.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Preechr fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 20, 2014

Preechr
May 19, 2009

:siren:You can now have animated .gif's in your STO forum signature:siren:

I don't know if it's allowed, but I've seen someone using one already.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

The skant is real!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

So they deleted 40 costume slots, and I don't even know what the offending one was. Probably the Skant. Fortunately, I have them all saved, so recreating them is easy.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Hahaha, which one of you posted the AotC puff piece?

quote:

I went to externity channel once. I didn't see much in the way of help being offered by the official members and such. What I did see though filled me with shame.

AOTC was there and was trying to engage with the members of the channel. He was ignored. This struck me as both sickening and saddening beyond description. It also put lie to any claims of being a legitimate help channel, here's AOTC - a guy who's probably forgotten more about this game then most of us (devs included) will ever know, a legendary player, someone supremely qualified to help people, and he's ignored.

Really. You guys should have been thanking him and humbly asking him for help. I don't know most of the posters in this thread and yet I'm pretty confident that the only person posting here who's in his league of skill and knowledge would be cesbot. I mean, if I had started a help channel, and I really wanted to help people, and homeboy graced my ranks, I'd beg him to be an admin. I'd turn the channel over to him. Dude. Seriously.

For those of you who shamefully don't know who AOTC is/was, as I don't know if he even plays the game anymore, in the old days there was very little info about how to set up a ship correctly available to the general public. There was basically Husnak's old thread and then Hilbert's guide. Hilbert's guide was set up though just to teach you how not to suck, how to set up basic macro's and make a decent build using free ships and mission rewards. It was extraordinary and probably the most helpful thing ever made for this game. AOTC and his guildmates though came in and showed the general public how to go to the next level. How to set up a lockbox ship, which ones are ideal, how to run aux2batt, what those things are, what stf sets to use on what ships, how they work, how to excel. Myself and many other players were deeply indebted to his builds and the generous sharing of knowledge.

That's just some of the things he contributed to this game. I would imagine there were times he knew more about this game then a lot of the devs. Some of his lasting contributions include opening 1,000+ lockboxes to get sample sizes and arrive at basic probabilities of getting ships, information he shared with the public and has made it's way into the sto wikis and the like. This is a player coming from a guild who's understanding of the game code was sufficient that they made improvements to things like the launcher and loot critter, some of which the devs even implemented. And he was totally ignored in this Externity help channel. No one said as much as hello to him, let alone answered his questions.

I would add that unlike others, he's never asked for any kind of credit for this stuff. He never created chat channels or fleets in his name. He didn't ask for gratitude. To the contrary he tried to organize pretty serious large scale give away events but was met with resistance from PWE.

That a legend within STO was treated that shabbily by the original poster and his fleet were all I needed to see. I left the channel without saying a word and never went back.

I'm not connected to AOTC, I've never been in a guild or raided with him, I doubt he would even recognize me ingame. I think the last time I saw him around prior to the chat channel was the day we first got the party balloons in droz a few years ago and had the geometry breaking party to end all parties. Yet he helped countless players, myself and my friends included, and for that I am grateful. Sean, I would emphatically advise you to emulate his example.

:911:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Got an apology for this morning's little mix-up. Unfortunately, the costumes they deleted really are gone- they can't retrieve things like that. On the plus side, I did have them backed up, so no real loss. I now have 50 costume slots :toot:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

This is particularly funny considering he just ate a forums ban for that super-creepy "I'm the only adult in the room" thread.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Mr. Emmert is a reasonable man with little tolerance for bullshit, and a fine appreciation for boundaries.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Kimsemus posted:

Thanks for the help guys, I shot them an email and it registered with their support system. Now I'll just see what happens. My current level 50 is a tactical officer, and I'd like to cut my teeth in open PVP -- if i remember the old meta, dual cannons were pretty much the business on almost any ship for PVP, is that still the case?

Yeah, there really isn't any PVP anymore. Beams are great with Surgical Strikes (a new intel boff ability). Basically, you hit for 30k each shot. PVP is over before your weapons go through half a cycle.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Soviet Commubot posted:

For people who don't care enough to click, so they can see just how dumb this is:

We gave them gold, and they went with this garbage?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Aleth posted:

Poor Smirk, outdone a week before his own fabulous event.

:smith:

:lol:

Now I know why he kept blowing us off for weeks while we tried to set up the Shutup Wesley giveaway.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Mondian posted:

Enjoy my response before it gets redacted.

So abrasive!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=21626261&postcount=59

The saddest pubbie posted:

Agreed. I actually simply dismissed my Vulcan first officer and copied everything about her to a new purple quality one, which was sad as she had everything I wanted, just everything was an uncommon level instead of a purple...and she lost her place beside me on the character select screen. Very sad as she is my character's wife.

How broken are these people?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

What was the four year anniversary like? I remember when I started playing back in uh, May or June people were still bitching about it months later.

The new party popper was ok. I don't even remember the ship.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Um... was it the dyson ship, or the ambassador?

I think it was the freebie suck version of the dyson ship.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Dely Apple posted:

Next up: Fill your ship with refined dilithum so you can fly places and do missions.

Only 500 dil to change ships!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Orv posted:

To what extent is faction choice as Romulan important? Presumably Feds are still way more populated so public quest style stuff is easier to grind for them (if you can't do those cross faction that is) and Klingons were at one point the way to go to gently caress with people in PvP but I take it the warning in the OP is still valid.

There is no PVP anymore, and all meaningful queues are cross-faction. You get the same mission content regardless of whether you are a FedRom or a KlankRom. Feds are still more populated and get more barbie options, as well as cheaper doffs on the exchange. Klanks get better doffing.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Apparently, some over-eager GM has taken it upon themselves to start screwing with me. First, they deleted all my costumes. Then they badnamed one of my characters. Then they came back in and badnamed some more- all of this without an e-mail, warning, or explanation. It might be time for a support ticket.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Mysteriously, my main has now been badnamed without explanation, and I can't change it back to its original name. I'm not sure what's offensive about "Adamus Faber," but I've submitted a ticket to find out!

Preechr
May 19, 2009

GM team confirmed bronies, game dead

Preechr
May 19, 2009

kafziel posted:

Is it a good upgrade path? I mean, Acc/Acc/Dam/Dam isn't exactly a good spread to begin with.

Acc x 2 dam x 2 critx ac/dm. They become effectively acc x 3 dam x 3 crith critd.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Two years ago today, Butts ascended from STO to carry Dear Leader's message of love and joy beyond the digital realm. 1/19/13 never forget.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

It was totally a bug guys, no really!

quote:

Hello Captain,

Thank you for the screenshots and for attaching it to this ticket. Upon further investigation, it appears that it may be the result of a currently unknown bug. While we understand you would like us to be able to resolve your issue quickly, some issues require further development from departments outside our control and cannot be resolved by the CS and GM teams.

I would advise and encourage you to submit it as a bug report at the "Bug Reports" section of the forums. Please rest assured that the relevant teams work to resolve validated issues as quickly as possible.

:laffo:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Looks like we won't be able to train our boffs until we've dumped 10 points into Command! Yaaaaaaaaaay!

e: Might be just for Command skills, but it's worded like it's "at all."

Preechr fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 27, 2015

Preechr
May 19, 2009

For gently caress's sake.

It's pretty clear now why they haven't "fixed" any of the impossibly broken Elite content- it's working as intended. They're going to release more and more power-creepy P2W until you can finally just buy the ships with the abilities you need to pass the content.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 29, 2015

Preechr
May 19, 2009

DonDoodles posted:

And they also seemed to think that Xtern1ty was another front fleet for Dental, so I guess there is some satisfaction to be taken from that mess.
Well, they're not wrong.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

hakimashou posted:

The Omega Tech Upgrades don't actually give 4x quality improvement chance like the tooltip says, they only give 2x, same as an experimental tech upgrade.

Not even surprised at this point.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

I don't know, that's a pretty impressive announcement. I was under the impression that such a move (long requested) was impossible due to engine limitations. I am excitedly looking forward to the more immersive sense of exploration we'll have flying around sector space because all the queues are dead and there's nothing else to do.

Yeah, that's a nice quality-of-life change we were asking for 4 years ago. Doesn't matter anymore.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

This is so good I had to steal it for the official forums.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Dil weekend just went live. Not only do Tier 5 rep completion projects not give double dil rewards, but no reputation projects at all give double dil. Sure hope you weren't saving up your marks to grind up this weekend! (This is the part where Technical kills himself)

E: vvv Star Trek Online - gently caress this game (Finish early? 19,998 dilithium!)

Preechr fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 5, 2015

Preechr
May 19, 2009

You can no longer grind 5 Omega Shards/Fragments/Slivers per R&D slot, either. Get hosed, scrubs.

e: This is apparently "not intended" per http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=22127201&postcount=5

Preechr fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 5, 2015

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Good job to the pubbies who complained to craptic "omg these consoles are letting people pass your lovely grindy garbage, pls nerf!"

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Trip report: The command cruisers are garbage, holy poo poo, save your zen.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

They do not. They handle like poo poo. The command boff abilities are horrible lovely pubbie traps. The inspiration mechanic must require a team to activate within a reasonable timeframe, because an entire Argala run with maximum skill spam was not enough to enable the innate command abilities. The tac version is mediocre at best and has no place in the current meta. The engi version is a laughably bad pubbie shitbucket for omgt0nk!!!11. The sci version is what you'd expect a sci-oriented cruiser 2 years ago to be: meaningless.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Bloodly posted:

I ask sincerely; define the current meta.

Well, that explains it more than anything else. If you can't hope to use the thing it's built around, then what's the point? And for this you've lost the most useful Cruiser Command(The weapon power one).

The current meta requires either absurdly high impulse damage (for certain limited functions, such as PVP), a massive sustained DPS for elite STF content or speed run e-peen waving, or brutal damage-resistance debuffing. Healing and tanking have no place in the high-hull enemy dynamic. The only things dangerous to a competently-built and -flown ship are instakill bullshit that no amount of tank can withstand regardless.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Bloodly posted:

Just how much damage resistance debuffing is possible now? I mean, Disruptor damage has it's chance-based proc, I suppose slowing a ship would help, and Attack Pattern Beta inflicts a strong debuff(Which is what makes the Recluse still a solid ship even now, since it can throw out multiple copies of the debuff), but is that all that's possible?

Ideally, you want to bring a target to -200 all resists and 0 or negative defense.

VVV: if you only want to save for one, get the Faeht. The Delta pack, while expensive, has an excellent suite of boffs and a good doff.

Preechr fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Celoth posted:

How important do you think the tac trait will be (All Hands On Deck)? Is it worth grabbing the tac ship just for the trait?

poo poo no. Oh boy, faster recharge on my science abilities! If you plan on slapping the trait on some science-heavy build, keep in mind that you need to be using it on a ship that has a significant number of tactical boff ability slots as well or you're not going to get much benefit. Except for edge cases, science abilities don't matter enough that you should spend $30 for a trait that will make them recharge faster.

• Locked thread