Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Trebuchet King posted:

Look upon our thread title, ye pubbies, and despair.

Edit: I will always adore the class illustrations in the OP, but I can't make out the signatures. Is whoever drew those still around?

That was -3- and no, haven't seen him in ages and don't know what his SA name is either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Lagomorphic posted:

Oh yeah for any new players worried about spending expertise on your bridge officers: Ask in chat and we can can fill in that for you. I've got over 2 mil expertise doing nothing on my main and it would be nothing to promote all your boffs and train them up. Expertise is one of those things that can be pretty scarce on a new character but any one who's been playing for a while is drowning in it.

That and/or ask for purpz outright, these days I don't even do the missions to get them anymore but I still have a few kicking around. Also don't sweat space traits on your officers unless you want to completely sperg out and get everything you can out of your ship, it makes very little difference and you are in no way gimping yourself.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

MikeJF posted:

Why even bother responding to people who repeat the same obviously false thing over and over.

Because that's literally the only thing some of us do in game too. Well that and disco.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Asimo posted:

I kind of wish the forum included people's @handles so you could check and see exactly what ship-borne abortions they're flying. :allears:

He's sort of right though, breach elite has a lot more kick than it used to. And I do mean a lot, eating one torpedo crit from the turrets will do 50-70k damage.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Gorelab posted:

I've been playing this, and I have to say, it feels quite a bit improved from how I remember. I wonder though, any tips for those of us who were dumb enough to pick engineer?

10 blow poo poo up
20 set course for weed
30 goto 10

In all seriousness your class doesn't really matter all that much but I'd suggest getting some of those extra turret doffs for ground combat so you can just sit back and mortar everything to poo poo.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

revtoiletduck posted:

Are there requires for joining a goon fleet, such as not being terrible at this game?

You got it backwards, you join then you get made not terrible.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
So far the Undine set looks like a non lovely version of Aegis and I'm probably gonna go for the two piece Deflector and Engine for 5% extra accuracy and 10% extra def. Beyond that are two clicky abilities I didn't like at first glance so unless the shield is really good I'll go look elsewhere.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Korgan posted:

You're in.

Further follow up on that Diligram hack, looks like there's some Germans claiming we must be hackers because we kick the poo poo out of them in pvp so clearly we also hacked the website. Google translate is pretty lovely, any native speakers able to give a run down or weigh in and tell them they're idiots? http://sto-forum.de.perfectworld.eu/showthread.php?s=c3423f145517e65b92b57462d6ea7b57&p=4801472#post4801472

They're full of poo poo, if you want a better translation I'll be around later. It's just the usual "Dental hacks, Dental cheats, Dental trolls I'm ignoring them so hard" crap though.

Morglon fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 30, 2014

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

CheeseThief posted:

I am a baddie and keep exploding in Vicious Cycle when there isn't someone better around to take all the heat. I need help understanding why I'll be doing fine for a while then suddenly lose a shield facing in one shot and be boom'd shortly after.

The high yield torps/rifts pack quite a punch, avoid all the gunk floating around and don't get sucked in, you'll probably be fine.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Hakarne posted:

I used to think that goons exaggerated how bad pubbies were. I could usually complete pug STFs without much pain and only the occasional pants-on-head retarded group. Then they released undine assault. Holy poo poo are they terrible at it. Everyone either splits up along every lane and dies, or the smart ones group and focus on one lane. But even that takes about 10-15 minutes per lane with a "good" group.

Except with my scimitar. I can clear a lane solo fast enough to combo the rifts, then I have to go back and drag the pubbies through each lane since they'll inevitably still be flailing at the start when I'm finished. The best group I had was almost able to keep up with my clear speed when the 4 of them focused on one lane while I cleared another. Almost.

In summary: 1) The scimitar is ridiculously overpowered, 2) Pubbies are terrible and you should never do what they do, and 3) Follow the goon guides. I would suck if not for all the great information in these threads and on the wiki. Instead, I get to carry entire teams like a disruptor-throwing demigod thanks to the wealth of information passed down from our benevolent nerd overlords.

4) Just stop doing Undine Assault already. Or do you hate yourself that much? I'm serious there's literally no reason in ever to do it, it's painful even with a good team and goons plain won't do it anymore because of that.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

JuffoWup posted:

Speaking of account bound. Is the description correct on the undine rep kit modules? Are they really account bind on equip?

So far yes, maybe they'll fix it with this patch. I wouldn't bother selling them though since you'll be farming for a while for those marks and you have to pump dil into it. Also the grenade sucks balls.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

BrainGlitch posted:

I might be Brain@dimethylhipster for invite purposes. I have no idea how this works.

Yeah, you're that spy who showed up in GoonTrek the other day

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Asimo posted:

Because there's nothing to buy HEYOOO :downsrim:

Well you could buy the Bortas bundle. I hear they are mighty beasts.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Acer Pilot posted:

why hasn't anyone told me about this!?

e: Yeah I think those orions he's talking about maybe get like 1 to 2 contraband every few thousand attempts too. So lol on "a few hours later full of contra"

It's like mining bitcoins only worse somehow.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Dat new jont.

Already had one "gay furry" send me a PM in protest over the name. :allears:

Was that the guy who kept talking about rubbing things in your face?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Oh hey, it's Stoleviathan. Go figure.

He's a pimple on the rear end of STO you can't get rid of. Let that sink in.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

HiroProtagonist posted:

:qq:This game RESTRICTS my choices!!!:qq:

With bonus Mary Sue.

"They restrict my choices" is actually a fair complaint, while this is not Champions they should and could give us so much more freedom with costumes. gently caress, all the rep armor sets are pretty lovely because you're restricted to four colors for the primary and it's a shame. There's so much potential here, for hilarity and otherwise.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
That form is mostly great but come on, the selection of sausages and sexual positions is severely lacking

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

LordCo posted:

I agree 100% and feel great shame. That's why his next application is this: http://imgur.com/LIK9wNF

Well done that's hilarious

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Korgan posted:

You're authed on the wiki, as for the Dental invite, just keep asking in TheNextGooneration until some lazy poo poo gets off his arse and invites.

Or calls you a spy for a while.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Doctor Zero posted:

My klangon alt isn't loli poo poo, but I did make a stripper orion for ERP bait and I feel uncomfortable any time I have to do ground stuff. Half the time I put on an enviro suit to cover my shame.

Or you could just use one of the four or five costumes you have as a normal uniform kind of deal and cover up. Orions get to use normal Klingon stuff.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

DonDoodles posted:

You KNOW your thread sucks when those dnealts start posting. Actually, this thread really doesn't need any further comment from us; all the spergs are coming out of the wordwoork to vent about their views on canon uniforms and bikinis on ESD. Leave it to stoleviathan to start all of the worst threads in ever.

This seems more accurate

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Turret spam is still perfectly viable, especially in the Voth battlezone. Stick a med gen in there somewhere, first slot shield heal, then turrets and mortars. Park then somewhere and pick then up if they eat some boss mortars and you have a decent team to hold against waves.

Of course you can also just load up on tacs with lunge, grenades and shotguns, that's probably the fastest way to get poo poo done.

Omega set works okay for tacs too if you have it around, MACO or anything with a split beam/sniper rifle for the engis and of course you yourself want to load up on hypos and pack a shotgun yourself.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Trebuchet King posted:

Note re: turret spam...unless the kit changes broke or changed something I missed, you'll also want some lf the doffs that proc multi-turret. There's also a purple jem'hadae dude (Etak'kas, IIRC) who gives your heal turrets a chance to spawn a shield turret alongside.

And the other way around. But he's expensive and you generally have shield healing covered with the ensign slot that can fit nothing else of use. Still if you have the money I'd recommend getting one of them.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
I mainly run the turret thing so I can gently caress off to the other side of the objective that's being taken without having to worry about my team. Yeah there are mortars that will destroy your fort but only the ones the minibosses use, the rest barely does any damage. Even if your fort gets destroyed you can poo poo out a new one in literally five seconds and as I said, when they're coming to you it still holds up fine and is easier to control and manage than some idiots charging around everywhere. Of course either will do fine but turret forts are much slower for normal ground content.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Don't steal anything though, only SSR steals things and leaves catfish behind. We hold our space honor in high regards and space stealing other people's space property is a space no-no. Space.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Mr Wikstroem posted:

Put it in the wiki instead I say and do feel free to update any outdated article that you come across.

That's not really what you start out with though, there's some serious grinding and running rep projects in there. Also when you have the Dyson shield you probably don't give a poo poo about the Borg procs anymore, I straight up wouldn't make the Nukara console a priority for not beam cruisers and a lot of the other gear is still very viable depending on what you actually want to do with it.

So the answer is there is no simple answer except when you start out get the Solanae set and start doing Voth ground every day for a massive amount of marks and Dil.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

revtoiletduck posted:

What are the first things a person should buy with zen? I assume quality of life improvements like bank space and poo poo?

The answer is costume slots. All of the costume slots.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Should be everything you unlocked while leveling except the EC cap

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Zotix posted:

Does this game have an actual end game, or is it still stuck at the rep grind for items?

Endgame is disco and disco related fashion.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Thom12255 posted:

What is an endgame meant to be.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Aleth posted:

These days the added shield damage from the glider proc isn't really needed what with massive boosts from embassy tac consoles and the like. The assimilated 2 piece passive hull heal is very handy though as well as giving you faster sector space travel.

I still use it. I like the raw stats better for one and by the time the extra hull heal would become relevant I'm likely dead anyway.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

300 Earth Dollars posted:

ESD just doesn't melt at those temperatures.

Now i want to make a tribute.wmv except with ESD getting blown up by the undine

Judging from the Federation's prowess in ship building and safety features in the show ESD is made out of popsicle sticks, oat meal and model glue.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

revtoiletduck posted:

Is that bad?

No, you should buy eight right now.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
You got tired of spergs so you started playing EVE. Yeah, makes perfect sense.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Armitage is awesome but the Avenger is Branflakes ship. So yes, you should be ashamed.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Zaodai posted:

I was going to pick up the starter Romulan pack, but it won't let me transfer Zen from my wallet to STO, it says "No Characters" under the server select list. I even tried downloading their stupid Arc client to see if it was some kind of thing where my character has to be registered with that.

Is there a level breakpoint I have to reach for my character to show up or something?

That's why you use Steam wallet

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Mondian posted:

100% if you spend 250 keys.

That's not how probability works.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Pretty dumb that shields change the way your hull looks. They should just move armor to a separate hull slot and base things off of that. Maybe add a case modding slot so you can throw some LED on that bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Hello, I come from getting bored of EVE. Made a Vulcan Science Officer because gently caress the police, I wanna play a loving Vulcan. Currently only Lieutenant 4, and flying this PoS but already enjoying this game immensely.

I'm sorry you have a terrible taste in games

• Locked thread