Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Here lies Acer Pilot: peperony and chease

Dukat was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Goddamn that prior set of photos is great. That most recent set though? Dans set the bar pretty high for Starfleet lady-dudes, who ever that kid is, they've got work to do.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

JuffoWup posted:

I remember there being one in esd 1.0, where the hell did he go in esd 2.0?

In the back right hand corner of OPs? Can't recall what the area is called but it's the next left after beam in, has the fancy waterfall wall in front. Dudes all the way in the back to the right.

Forget contra turn ins on dil weekend (not really) the real money is in saving all your omega marks and bnp's between dil events and then unlimited omega mark/bnp to dil turn ins. 2500 every 4 hours is cool and all but 750 every 20 seconds or so is so much sweeter.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Bloodly posted:

Someone wanna explain the hate-on for Bajor? I say this as someone who only caught part of DS9 in his youth. I don't remember them doing anything especially poor. Although that one docking officer on DS9 in-game is a jerk.

I can't recall a single Bajoran in the show that wasn't a sanctimonious prick. Or at the least a dogmatic idiot clinging blindly to superstition. It doesn't help that the Cardassians were so much cooler.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Not to derail the Bajoran hate, cause seriously, it's not a fad, check out Kira in ds9 season 1. Terminal case of preachy oval office.

But... There's a new contender on the block, STO is great and all but it's far from "perfect."

https://www.perfectsto.com

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Augustus posted:

A private server?

That's my guess, someone linked it on reddit asking "what the heck is this?" but I'm at work and unable to look into it any further for the next hour or so.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

DonDoodles posted:

New Dental video is up. Check out the new PSA for pubbies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-Z8c6l5WE0

Still having issues with the format, so it isn't as high quality as I'd like, but I'll continue to mess with it and reupload once I get it figured out. Thanks to the Denalts/NoP who turned out to help shoot it.

Splended. loving beautiful. Never get tired of gorn in suit, best gorn ever. Even better than my gorn.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
What's the name of the public service channel exactly? I've got a disgruntled with his fleets policies pub. I came across that wants better ship access.

Nerds_of_prey_public_service ? I never added it to my chat tab and am unsure.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 20, 2014

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Lagomorphic posted:

Oh yeah you need it for friend. It's okay man we know that the pubbie is you. It's NoP Public Service at any rate and your friend is welcome there just like everyone else.

Even worse than myself, a redditor pubbie.

http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/2604vz/looking_for_a_fleet_that_will_grant_me_fleet_ship/.compact

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

JuffoWup posted:

Undine shuttle event sucks hard. They are annoying with a regular ship with more tools available.

I was playing the shuttle fleet alert and it gave us undine the other night. Was a goddamn bloodbath, shuttles getting crushed by fluidic rifts left and right.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Woolie Wool posted:

I played this game for a couple of months in Season 6 and then came back for the start of Season 9 and man, has it improved (although the Romulan Republic being a bunch of flavorless Mary Sues who don't even get to be a full faction kind of grates). The reputation system also beats the hell out of the horrendous EDC grind that you used to need for the Omega equipment. Too bad my old Mk X/XI Omega gear is now entirely obsolete and I can't complete my Mk XI MACO space set on my Fed character. The fleet I ended up in is much better too--they don't drag everyone onto TeamSpeak to listen to their awful RL drama (my fleet leader from 2012 kind of creeped me out, he sounded like some misogynist stereotypical-Texas :clint: douchebag) and they're helpful when you need advice.

Anyone, can anyone tell me how much my ship sucks and how to make it not suck? I'm decent enough at staying alive in STFs (usually) but I had a hard time on Khitomer Space Elite killing all the probes before they escaped (I let one through :ohdear:). But maybe I shouldn't be handling the probes in a D'deridex at all?

The gateway page is here
For some reason the gateway displays the names of my Fed and KDF ships correctly, but for the Romulan side it displays my character's name instead of the name of the actual ship (I.R.W. Iolanthe).
Also I don't have the shield to complete the Adapted MACO set because I haven't reached tier 5 Omega reputation. I thought you couldn't buy them before buying the regular MACO set and I actually bought the first Adapted piece by accident thinking it was regular MACO and just went with it. Tactical Readiness is an amazing perk.

Should I ditch the T'varo console? It was useful when I was leveling but now my singularity charges so fast it seems like a waste.

Also gamers.txt:

It is a doomsday wankship created for Star Trek Nematodes, it was horrendously ugly even in the movie. But OMG SCIMITAR, let's fly around in a ship made famous by loving Shinzon.

It reminds me of FreeSpace tile texturing, and there's a reason why that's discouraged in FS modding nowadays.

See that torpedo? When that is in an arc for firing, every beam in an aft slot is unable to fire. Think about this as a philosophy when fitting ship weapons.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Woolie Wool posted:

Often I try to broadside most of the time and then bring the nose in to use a torpedo power, and then turn away again to broadside, but that doesn't work nearly as well for the D'deridex as for my Negh'var on my Klingon alt.

Also the singularity projector console is weird. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it does absolutely monumental damage. It's like a gamble, sometimes nothing, sometimes tens of thousands of damage.
See that's the kinda thing I was talking about, if broadsiding then you're not really using the torp much and if you're rotating to fire one off now and then well, let's just say no one would accuse a ddex of getting anyone dizzy with it's turn speed.

E: though you did say you were having troubles killing probes and that ship looks like it would kill probes just fine, is there something funky in your power level settings or Boff layout?

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 3, 2014

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

LordCo posted:

The latest pics are in from Chuck, our man in Abidjan. This time Chuck is wearing a sensible summer dress and wig and posing in the local dirt patches.

And my <ahem> personal favourite...

There are 10 images for each sign, each taken in a slightly different location (it varies from set to set). All 60 pics are at http://imgur.com/a/vvoS3

You know that part in back to the future when the Libyans catch up to doc brown? That's gonna be you.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Weissritter posted:

Any foundry mission that is focused on space combat? The spotlight missions seem to be usually a mix of space and ground.

Like with story and stuff or just shooty-shooty? There's a fair number of the latter, most farming missions and one called something like Battleship Royal Rumble.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Berke Negri posted:

I remember doing exploration missions around the first year and just having to go to five planets (after scanning them down) to find five flashy rocks (not marked on map either) on an auto-generated planet.

gently caress that poo poo.

And the alternative of "check out this empty series of hallways, toggle 5 consoles inside and maybe fight some dudes."

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

wdarkk posted:

I kind of wish they'd go to some university and grab one of the dozen or so "automated writing" algorithms floating around and get some really procedurally generated mini-missions. Even Lwaxana marrying the warp core would be an improvement.

I mean I get what you're saying but why? They already were ahead of the industry curve with the whole "gently caress it, you guys make the content for us, we can't be bothered with this poo poo" mission creator.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Mogomra posted:

Sorry, I forgot to keep the secret talk in the wiki/other thread.

Is it still a secret?

http://iqfleet.org/private/leaks

http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/28lg7k/season_95_leak_the_xindi_lockbox/

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Wait, with the new doff UI you cant sort by jobs or traits or anything? Am I missing something? I go to assign a dude and all i get is a little unsortable pop up box with a list of all my dudes.

Ah hahahahah if you have duplicates it doesn't notate which in the list have been placed already so trying to assign a bunch of Maela to support colony missions you just end up assigning the same one over and over cause they all look the same and it just moves him from slot to slot and wow gently caress this game. Lets fix what wasn't loving broken and break it in the process

Burning_Monk posted:

I just found this...

How did you get those sorting options I am just not seeing it.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 19, 2014

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Didn't ds9 already have an update at some point?

Bit of an odd predicament now, most of my game time is spent grinding to equip my many alts with fancy space stuff. Knowing now that it won't be top of the line for long makes me want to stop while realizing that things need to move on at some point or everyone would quit.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
For everyone coming back after a long hiatus take note that the base level of excitement related to this game is so low that the above passes for drama, excitement, and entertainment. We really should all quit and take up wood carving or something.

"Some Trek radio DJ said "gently caress AL" on their convention livestream, not knowing the mic was on(referring to Gecko -- they were pissed Priority One got a shout out and not them) and I blew it out of proportion on the forums"

That is the peak of fun to be had in STO. loving think about how lame that paragraph is and how lame that means the actual game is. Anyone that ever had an STO account should feel at least a twinge of embarrassment and shame for having a connection to any of this.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 5, 2014

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

g0del posted:

Keep in mind that the base level of excitement is low because there's not much to do in-game right now. The only recent addition is crafting which sucks. And while some of the crafted equipment is nice, it is by no means required. And thanks to the recent dil weekend, many of us have enough unrefined dil for weeks.

The biggest issue is the upcoming expansion. There's a good chance that most equipment will be virtually worthless once MK XIV equipment is out. Until we have more details the only thing that we know won't be a waste of time is saving up dil/farming contra/grinding rep.

I think it all speaks to a larger problem (which isn't a problem depending on your perspective), we grind infected runs or voth ground thing for dilithium to get newer and better ships which we then use to grind infected and get the next round of ships. The new expansion will hit and we will grind out its content and then use those rewards to do more ISE runs.

But I do realize STO is far from the only game with this problem, but the queues are rather telling, sure you can get a pug group to run viscous cycle or breech but once everyone got their reps up those queues dropped massively.

Although I do have a hard time being able to tell if I feel this way because I've been playing so long and become jaded to the game, there seems to be plenty of other content but I find most of it unfun or tedious.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
That's one of the weird things, run times are kinda hosed. Doing a normal undine assault takes up to an hour (or feels that way) it's not due to difficulty but the raw tedium of killing the planet killer at the end. You spend upwards of 20-30 minutes sitting in place dumping shots into the weak spot while face tanking every blast and missle it ineffectually spits out. There is no challenge, nothing deadly to avoid, it's just a test of patience, "can you sit here long enough to watch the planet killer die before loving off from boredom." It's not something that "getting better at" or practice will improve, I already have top of the line guns so that's not it, it's just an exercise in sitting.

On the other hand ISE is an elite difficulty mission that can be completed in 6 minutes or under on average. This mission is technically more challenging as you have to shoot things in the right order and getting too close to some things could kill you. In fact you could die 3 times in ISE, struggle the whole way and still be done faster than a normal undine assault. None of it makes sense and cryptics idea for an end boss wasn't something challenging or tricky, it's a giant screen filling thing whose best attack may knock 15% off your hull whose only "challenge" is wether you have the fortitude to stick around long enough to see it die.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 5, 2014

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Re: lack of talk about upcoming stuff.

I'm going to propose that it's quite plausible that with an upcoming panel and "season 9.5" being about as lackluster as possible that those on the hook to provide a panel needed something, anything to talk about thus getting the okay to drop some vague hints about the next expansion. There aren't more details because those likely don't exist yet and don't be shocked come October that half the poo poo vaguely hinted at never materializes, this game has a long history of unfulfilled promises and horribly inaccurate dev. timelines. Still waiting patiently for that sci ship revamp. (Lol did we say sci ship revamp, no no no, were putting out new revamped sci ships with 2 deflectors, all those old lovely ships? Nah, no 2 deflectors for those, maybe next season!)

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Skimming over some of the good posts in that thread it seems to me that the game is in need of massive sweeping changes to make it anything near balanced or at the least flat out better (more variety is useful abilities.) In the old days this would be totally doable, even when it was for the worse or killed games like Star Wars Galaxies, there was always the nuclear option of just ripping the old busted up patchwork system out and replacing it with something more modern. In a game like this however, so many people, myself included have invested a lot of money into what they currently have, even if I didn't pay for the zen that bought all my stuff myself, someone paid money for that somewhere along the line and it feels like in this kind of environment, massive sweeping changes would just murder the game dead. (Which I guess it did in other examples too, nevermind.)

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

DancingShade posted:

The whole metagame feedback thread is just a trap or a holding pen to contain the pubbie :spergin: until it spills over again, as it inevitably will. They don't give two fucks about what's going on in there but so long as the pubbies are sissy slap fighting each other about spaceships it gives the illusion of listening to the fans. gently caress the fans, they're terrible and deserve what they get :black101:

Up until I got to this part I kept thinking "but all the totally useless Boff powers..." Except yea, they ain't listening, enjoy your next lockbox suckers.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

DancingShade posted:

Yo dawg, I heard you liked grinding so now you can grind your ships while you grind your captain while you grind your rep trees. Yo.

Rename game to: Endless ISE Runs.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I'm guessing it's because the Romulus pack had both leveling and endgame versions of the ships but this seems like a less good deal. Price is about the same but it feels like you're getting less.
Glad to see they pretty much admit to going full on lazy with ship selections, Feds, you get 4 types, everyone else, fast or tanky, stop being so greedy. Remember when most of the KDF ships were a motley crew of weird cast offs? Sure almost all of them are garbage but at least there was a choice, now you get turns or tanks.

Guys, I think STO is feeling like it did before dilithium. (Remember how stale the game got before the dilz update? I think I stopped playing for 8 months and didn't miss anything. They're constantly adding stuff but it's more FarmVille menus like crafting and doffs, less stuff you can actually do and the few new missions are always queue-less)

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 3, 2014

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Alt-f12 kills the HUD and maybe all the dumb fx like shield circles.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
How fitting that this expansion has a Voyager theme, grappling hook guns in the 25th century eh? Well that's about as dumb as a slot machine upgrade system.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

SKY COQ posted:

I'll keep an eye out for changes before I pull the plug but gently caress this is disappointing. I haven't looked at the forums but reddit seems to be losing its poo poo so hopefully they'll take the feedback on board.

I kinda knew this poo poo would be garbage as soon as the 50-60 was announced as something other than actual level progression. It seemed like they'd have to half rear end around the current system and design and boy howdy did they not disappoint.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
You know the more I think about it, my original problem with this stuff at its base was the idea that "they took our tricks away, it's gonna take time to get back on top and I don't like that" which isn't the most fair argument against something. But as I give it more thought I'm okay if it takes awhile to get all my ships re-kitted with MK 14 gear, it doesn't have to be all the best all the time. What does annoy me now is the thing I said a few weeks back, the time spent grinding the poo poo up to MK 14 will just be another 10000 ISE runs and gently caress that.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Conskill posted:

I've reached an impasse where I don't know whether I want to...

1) Get a vesta.
2) Get an intel cruiser.
3) Protect my precious wallet from this madness and go play something else.
4) Go through the ~quarter year it'll take me of daily grinding to get a fleet ship w/o real money.

I don't mind dropping a few bucks into a game I'm having fun with but it feels like the expansion is going to force me to encroach on pay2win territory here.

On one hand I'd highly advise against spending any money until the expansion releases and everything shakes out, on the other though it's 15-25 bucks and not a huge investment so whatevs.

Between a vesta and intel I'd say wait for the intel, I'm assuming it'll have more features cause it's newer and stuff.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Baron Porkface posted:

Is it possible to slot more upgrade projects so as to have more things to dump into?

Looks like it's all slotted up, any empty spots you may see in the fleet holdings have no possible anything to slot at the moment.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
So how much did the update break things? I don't mean a bullet point list but in general, a lot? A little? I saw the bit about Boffs. I guess it's time to make the call if I want to buy the big get everything pack, or finally call it quits on this game, most of the things I've heard about the expansion are leaving a bad taste. Looking here and at reddit there is a big lack of people "gee whizzing!" at the new poo poo and that's making me really wonder if it's time to get out.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

bubbles depo posted:

http://imgur.com/a/yPOJZ

The visuals according to a reddit post.

http://imgur.com/a/yiRAl#9kLyy7q

And some more ships.

Fuckin sweet, a GI Joe Night Force Galor.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I haven't had time to mess with any other ships yet but I kinda like the Intel Cruiser if done up right. Reminds me of the carriers in Starship Troopers or a Sith Infiltrator. (Interceptor? darth maul's ship)

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

CommissarMega posted:

Incoming dumb question- what's the point of STFs? Do you get really cool items or mega dil from it? Because my klankrom's never had a problem with refining max dil every day, and it sounds like STFs are a massive pain in the rear end, so why bother? Seriously, I'm not trolling and genuinely curious.

Sometimes I want to do more with the game than doff clicker or hang in droz. Aside from fleet alert, ISE was a great way to quickly be blowing up ships without dumb objectives holding you back.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Yea, I thought new ships and powers would be a bit of an injection to keep things fun but as I level the new ships I find myself thinking "ok time for a smoke break" very often, sometimes not realizing it had only been one ten minute STF run since the last smoke break.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Mondian posted:

Bums me out that no existing ships got traits. So much wasted opportunity...

Yea, and it's a guarantee I don't fly anything but new ships until I'm done unlocking the 5th trait in all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
Goon Projects.txt

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball.

• Locked thread