Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I'm always mad that Marvel won't do another Wha Huh!? It was just comics gossip in-jokes but it was fun. I'm hoping that Aaron can do something good with this event in spite of being stuck with Deodato on art and trying to do something with a dropped Brubaker concept from years ago.

On talk for #0 I liked it as a bonus Nova issue (especially with Roxon being reduced to just Scooby Doo villains) but man was it weird. Years of Uata just being a dick or crazy or well boring Uata and then just a dump an issue of "well he doesn't like his job and he misses his Dad so feel bad when we graphically murder him in the next issue".

It's a shame that none of the alternate universe he studies has a How To Stop People Stealing Your Eyeballs Plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

So currently the Original Sin dark secret reveals are:

Tony may have been responsible for creating the Hulk.
Angela is Thor's sister.
Something happened with Deadpools parents (he probably killed them).
Johnny accidentally destroyed a permanent cure for Ben years ago and Reed helped Johnny cover the fact up.
Xavier's will shows that he is being an rear end in a top hat from beyond the grave.
Matt Murdock's mother has ~dark secrets~.
The spider that bit Peter also bit someone else.
The original Human Torch could have prevented Hiroshima but didn't "because reasons".
Cap remembers the Illuminati.
Nova finds out more about his Dad.
Blade and Blue Marvel hung out with Luke Cage's dad back in the day.

And probably a chunk more.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

MagnesiumB posted:

Has Daredevil's Mom ever showed up in other stuff before? I haven't read much of the character besides Waid's run.

Yeah she's a Frank Miller creation.

I would suggest reading Born Again (the best Daredevil book) or Battlin' Jack Murdock which is a mini surrounding Matt's dad that focuses on his parents relationship.

Adding onto Matt's catholic guilt she left the family to become a nun.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I wouldn't be too surprised if it was always the plan. Not that I believe Marvel but I'm sure the first thing they thought was "okay how do we give her a brand new backstory that will also allow us to include her in future film projects". Just saying she's effectively an Asgardian is the easiest thing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Starsnostars posted:

She can still be an angel, the teaser says "the tenth realm" and maybe that's where all the angels hang out.

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if they went the Thor route of "well they are super advanced aliens with people have confused/accepted as Gods/Angels/Whatever".

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

E the Shaggy posted:

As for who killed the Watcher, I think that a future cover gives it away:

http://www.comicbookcritic.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ORIGSIN2014003-Tedesco-1bc87.jpg

Isn't that Midas from the Marvel Boy series from years back?

She's seen captured by the Avengers in some of the preview art.

Trust Aaron to use a Marvel event to try and fix all terrible changes Bendis did to Marvel Boy and their supporting cast :allears:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Lot of people around here that haven't read Marvel Boy :colbert:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Gavok posted:

Step 1: Make it Mary Jane Watson.
Step 2: Sit back.
Step 3: Watch the world burn.

So that's why she had a flamethrower.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

You need to get your hands on Astonishing Spider-Man and Wolverine where The Orb gets some time travel gems and moves up in the world. It's kind of been a steady growth for the character throughout all of Aaron's books to just get more powerful as time goes on.

Plus y'know it's a really fun book.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Madrox posted:

So was the .1 promo book with the 2 suited characters infiltrating the Watcher's base a lead-in prior to the event being given to Aaron? I need to dig that book out.

Edit: Jeez, that was released in 2011. I have to imagine the planned story has changed a good bit since then.

Yes. This was originally going to be a Brubaker event ages ago but obviously he left Marvel. I think everybody had just dropped it until it was asked around at a retreat and Aaron went "eh I think I can do something with that".

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So who the gently caress are these people introduced and why should I care because Original Sin #2 was kinda lovely.

God drat it people read Marvel Boy <:mad:>

The Thing looking guy is Doctor Midas a dude introduced in Marvel Boy that rocked a gold Iron Man suit and trenchcoat before effectively becoming the Fantastic Four rolled into 1. The girl is Oubliette/Exterminatrix ,his daughter and Marvel Boy's ex girlfriend. (Can you tell they are Morrison creations)

Orb is a joke character with a big eye for a head. He's appeared throughout Aaron stuff slowly working his way up the superhero ladder. From the issue Midas is dying so hires The Orb to kill The Watcher to try and find a cure (i'm presuming this part).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah I'm presuming there's something else there (Fury is behind it or crazy secrets) but that's what this issue is putting forward.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Gatts posted:

So my question is we see some dude the Orb is helping a dude who looks like the Thing. We know there's a dude who is dressed in the original Iron Man armor. These are all some kind of reflections of our heroes?

There Morrison characters so yes. Midas goes from a "golden age" Iron Man to a combination of the Fantastic Four.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I know people were joking about the comparrisons to Identity Crisis but I don't know how I feel about this book after the last few pages. Other than :stare:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Dan Didio posted:

...that could have some really gross implications, care to qualify?

Nah it's not rape or anything. Just the overly graphic violence part. A hero "turned evil", murder mystery and overly graphic violence all rolled into one.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

RevKrule posted:

I think Jason Latour ruined Spider-Man's original sin.

The other person who got bit by the spider was Gwen Stacy. http://jasonlatour.tumblr.com/post/87991995503/im-writing-a-gwen-stacy-spider-woman-one-shot

Nah that's for Spider-Verse. She's an alternative universe (but cool looking) Spider-Man. The Spider-Man Original Sin stuff is being done by Slott.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Not too surprising but I guess we're at the point where the only end for this is

1) Fury has always been old, all the rest were LMDs and he dies at the end and Sam Jackson is the only real Fury.

2) Fury started ageing rapidly when losing the Infinity Formula in ~Battle Scars~ and put in a contingency plan. He dies and Sam Jackson is the real Fury going forward.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

OldTennisCourt posted:

I actually like the idea of choice 1. Except I hope he doesn't actually die. Rogue Fury with an army of LMDs backing him as he tries to 'fix' the problems of the world could make for an interesting character. Just this old salt who thinks he knows better than anyone else.

Well if he's always been an LMD and aging the character has a limited life span even if he doesn't get killed due to everybody hating him.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Barry Convex posted:

If 1 is the case, wouldn't that mean that the Infinity Formula never existed? Wouldn't that invalidate Fury Jr.'s origin?

It all depends on how far Fury's lies and secrets go :shepface:

The only thing that makes me think they'll do the "he's always been old or has been old for ages" is that apparently Fury or whomever has been going around killing for years is too long for it to match up fully with Battle Scars.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Unmature posted:

Original Sin: Hulk vs. Iron Man #1 was pretty cool. Is Banner and Stark's pre-superhero friendship precedented in the comics or are they just drawing from the movies?

Because of the film they are now science bros or whatever until Avengers 2 breaks them up.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

IUG posted:

I saw on Diamond that this week had some kind of "Original Sin 3.1". I didn't see it in my shop though. Anyone get that or can just clue me in on what it was?

Marvel are renaming their tie-in series in hopes that more people will buy them. The Thor and Loki crossover is being renamed to Original Sin 5.1 as well.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Just Bleeding Cool rumours that it'll be cancelled and they will increase shipping of Avengers World to weekly in the new year because they need more Avengers books because of the film.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

SirDan3k posted:

Fury's been the in the background spy-master as long as I've been alive with most of his crazier stuff glossed over and Hydra is the Bond-ish world threat I'd expect him to be dealing with.

I wouldn't say this is really too far removed from Fury dealing with say Secret War a number of years back. You can argue that if he was doing all this stuff then why couldn't he just deal with Latvaria rather than recruiting other heroes but even then there's arguments to be made for how he couldn't have overthrown a country on his own.

It's all really just a love letter to NICK FURY: ULTIMATE MARVEL SPY before he dies and Bucky takes the spy stuff while nuNick Fury takes the SHIELD agent stuff.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I kind of hope the next issue has a good twist in it because while it hasn't been bad I just want something unexpected. Like it's a mystery where everything is lining up to exactly as it should be but there feels like there's something missing.

That and everytime Fury is all "there's no time to explain" while even the characters within the book are all "no, there is, just explain things already :doom:".

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Endless Mike posted:

Mockingbird did it and she was crazy the whole time.

I would trust Aaron to do a better twist than that :colbert:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yes.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Honestly I was surprised by the ending as I thought I was sure Fury was done for and that The Orb was the new Watcher. Would pay good money for Aaron doing a creepy Orb horror book.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Can someone summarize the storyline for me, specifically what happened with the watcher?

I got to take a quick peek while at my friend's house, but I'm kinda confused.

Basically...

The orb has a dream he was invited to the blue area where Uatu lives.
Midas, his daughter, and Orb show up, and Orb blasts Uatu in the face.
They chop out one of his eyes.
Orb, Midas, Daughter all start to... mutate? since Uatu keeps a ton of weird poo poo around his house.
Fury shows up cause naturally he bugged the moon and finds Uatu hosed up and missing an eye, and not happy.
Uatu tells him he sees all things, including the ULTRA SUPER SECRET poo poo that Fury has been up to, and then charges up his hands like he's gonna blast him.
Fury caps Uatu in the noggin with a big gamma bullet cause, apparently gamma bullets are the new ultrakill weapon?
Fury steals the other eye?
stuff happens
Fury is the new watcher, Orb somehow bonds with an eye and becomes an even bigger weirdo, and now Bucky is the super secret killer guy for the world.

That pretty much it? Cause, I'm just kinda confused how anyone shy of some kinda Celestial or Galactus could lop out an eye and not get one fuckton of a fight going. (yes I am choosing to ignore Red Hulk and his I AM SO AWESOME HOOWAH bullshit)

Fury was dying and Uatu wanted Fury to take his place. He knew if he summoned some bad dudes, like the Orb and Midas to his base, that Fury would show up given the stakes. He was fed up of watching, had seen his own death and accepted that his time had come. He'd also seen everything that Fury had done and knew that Fury would be the right replacement.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Wachter posted:

Can we get a run down of all the Sins revealed in the tie-ins?

Off the top of my head

Maybe Iron Man helped create the Hulk? He was pretty drunk back then but it's still Banner's hubris that caused it/it's still Banner's fault.
Daredevil's mother had post-partum depression which is why she left.
Xavier mind wiped a super powerful mutant pre-X-Men days and had been continually placing mental blocks in him since then to stop him killing everybody. Also he married Mystique at a point.
Someone else got bit by the magic Spider that bit Peter
Angela is Thor's sister
Nick Fury has been going around pre-emptively killing anybody who would threaten Earth
Dum Dum Duggan has always been a robot
Nova's Dad is still alive
Luke Cage's dad was a superhero
Bendis still hasn't revealed what happened to Dick Rider
Cap found out about the Illuminati
And some other things happened.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 5, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Aphrodite posted:

Wasn't Fury "on the wall" for like 60 years? Pretty lovely job by The Watcher.

Yeah that's the part of it that kind of falls apart with me. Especially since events came around from Watcher seeing his own death happen in the future.

Fury being chained to the moon and forced to not interfere is clearly a punishment from him, presumably from the council of Watchers.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Original Sin is a complete story.

Someone killed the Watcher and made an elaborate treasure hunt game for some reason. (It was Fury, he did it to find his intergalactic super spy replacement as he was dying). Everything other than that is an epilogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

SirDan3k posted:

Pfft years? Try half a year or less, most of Aaron's big changes have had the shelf life of a banana under a heat lamp.

Such as?

• Locked thread