Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
they should call it redtube because it's in the red lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Exclusive: Google campus plan would explode the concept of buildings, workspace (renderings)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
holy poo poo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
reminder that google employee justine tunney was interviewed for the sarkeesian effect

e: lol they took it down

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 6, 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Linguica posted:

I thought she was a bing employee now
as much as she fellated the google ceos I wouldn't believe this, but i would like to. her tweets are protected now though, lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
if you haven't heard of justine tunney here's a 90-minute interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GHTYdLk5HI

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
are you really supposed to exhale immediately like that

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Pinterest Mom posted:

excusez-moi mais,
cool tricycle, grandpa

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Management posted:

probably a can-am spyder, (http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/), the most ridiculous thing. all the disadvantages of a motorcycle combined with all of the disadvantages of a car.
the first image that comes up on that website makes them look like riding mowers

e: that's the only vehicle manufacturer website i've ever seen with a "safety recalls vin lookup" form in the footer

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 10, 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i wanna see what happens when people try to put windows on it after it comes out

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

prefect posted:

great. i have to use mod_wsgi, and that's on google code. i'm sure this is going to be flawless and not disappear into the ether
https://github.com/GrahamDumpleton/mod_wsgi

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
honesly i hope someone takes everything off of google code like they did for geocities. but i'm just the ideas man

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MeruFM posted:

they're just trying to get rid of all the olds
that explains YouTube Kids

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
good news for my fellow android-havers http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/16/apple-trade-in-policy-non-iphones/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Improbable Lobster posted:

the only time i ever click on suggested videos is when it has the next part of the video series i'm watching

the vast majority of the time it has the part of the series i just watched and then nothing that has anything to do with what i'm watching
sometimes it'll have some future episode or the most recent episode instead of the next one in the series. youtube really hates playing videos from oldest to newest and it's dumb

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

my guesses are
netfix, for being a service that plays "next" videos automatically
vine, for looping the same short clip over and over and listing ridiculous numbers for number of plays
facebook, for autoplaying their own videos and apparently having had more videos uploaded to it than youtube lately.

but the only thing that really fits the new thing is netflix. i don't think facebook plays other videos automatically, just ones posted by your friends that you scroll by.
netflix curates ordered lists
does anyone care about vine numbers that aren't shares
lol if you enable plugins on *.facebook.com

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Management posted:

hell yeah I'm getting a raise
:mmmhmm:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

haahhahahahhahahahha

google moved the "Images" link for when you search for something to a dropdown item under "More" because that's certainly a thing only edge cases need regularly

what a loving clownshow
those links immediately below your search query aren't randomized but they are context-specific

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

I.e. Randomized
do you still yell at radium every time you click on yospos and the threads are all randomized

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
amazon's search is dogshit though

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PleasureKevin posted:

I was looking for random poo poo on Amazon yesterday cause I have free Prime for a bit and I found like 5 straight pages of the same item, zero variation or anything, all the same seller. no colour or size variation or anything and no "available in more varieties" button that they have when there's similar products with some small variation.

I gave up pressing "next page" and left

so google has their job cut out for them because the whole rest of the Internet is so well curated already, got ya
it's weird because they definitely have the ability to curate this poo poo, but i guess don't want to offend the one-off special snowflake marketplaces who don't want to be listed in the Other Sellers list, but who will still mark up their product 20% from amazon and add $15 in shipping

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

uncurable mlady posted:

marketplace sellers are a loving blight
:agreed:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

horse mans posted:

good excuse for supporting inethical business practices that hurt living people, imo
do you live in communist china or communist cuba

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ryde posted:

There are teams dedicated to tackling this issue. There's simply too much data out there to curate by hand, so automation is leaned on heavily, but that automation can be defeated by very clever or very uninformed sellers.
man, if only amazon could capitalize on a service like mechanical turk. i wonder what the reason is behind those two companies not speaking with each other. it could really be beneficial for each of them imo

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

my favorite thing is where google will completely refuse to search for a word that is part of a phrase that is much more common

for example say you search "yospos good posters" and all the search results show "yospos bad posters" with bad highlighted as though that was part of the search
yeah you have to either use quotes or click on search tools and select "verbatim" from the all results drop-down

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

lmfao
cremnob did you notice that until this post, nobody noticed or cared that you got a 30 day?
nobody will care again for the next 11 days.
lmao

poty posted:

#freecremnob #jesuiscremnob
i wouldn't even take a cremnob if YOU paid ME!!!!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PleasureKevin posted:

google made some thing called Youtube Kids and it breaks FCC rules. guess how?

excessive and deceptive advertising to children.

http://consumerist.com/2015/04/07/youtube-kids-app-accused-of-deceptive-excessive-advertising/
lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

search for something something timezone
"did you mean something something time zone"
sure, why not, click on the link
results show pages with "timezone" bolded

whatever
if you want to do conversions between things, wolfram alpha is way better than google

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
what's the difference between ghostery and just using your web browser to block third-party cookies

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Celexi posted:

i use https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/privacy-badger/pkehgijcmpdhfbdbbnkijodmdjhbjlgp?utm_source=chrome-app-launcher-info-dialog instead of ghostery/dissconect.me , works pretty well and its easy to turn it off when needed
This is an alpha release of Privacy Badger.

Please understand that Privacy Badger is in beta,

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

disconnect is ghostery but open sores and not developed by an ad company if you care about such things

it's on firefox, idk about chrome because chrome is a bad browser

also ublock rules and adblock drools
it looks like disconnect is actually a desktop app and not a plugin? is that for reals

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol at the chrome screenshot

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i was not aware of the standalone client vpn fuckery

the extension is good and is what should be used
weird since you linked to the first one fyi

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol if you sign in to watch youtube

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ZShakespeare posted:

But what if someone uses a cuss word!?
if you really really really need to see that video, you can usually find it uploaded on someone else's account or embedded somewhere

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ahmeni posted:

sup gorgle thread
google was lucky enough to get sound out of a linux, and now you want to get rid of latency too??

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Valeyard posted:

why is Chrome "dropping support for Java" :psyduck:
they started like a year or two ago? sorry you didn't notice until today

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Valeyard posted:

i woke up and browsed all my websites that use wall to wall java embeds telling me the bad news :negative:

so Unity web player is gone too?
yes. unity even worked on porting to native client but then stopped working on it because they found out google doesn't actually care about native client

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
truly smythe is doing the good Lord's work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it's not even just java, it's all NPAPI plugins, which includes things like silverlight, unity web player, adobe reader, adobe flash player, shockwave player, and every other plugin ported from netscape. you idiots would probably be complaining if microsoft got rid of activex, even if they told you they were doing it a year in advance

• Locked thread