Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

yard salad posted:

and Google hires call centers to harass businesses into paying up.

while there are plenty of seo fuckheads who pretend that they're from google to try and scam a sale, i'm not aware of google itself doing anything like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fishmech posted:

and being super difficult just to get quarters is only a benefit for arcade owners

aka the people actually paying you money to buy your game machines

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the best way to use 6 gb of ram in a telephone is to have half of it switched off because you'll never need it

so in some sense it checks out

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
its a good way for the person deciding to build a new messaging app to demonstrate their importance and do a li'l empire building.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

he has lots of linux isos that he needs to download and upload

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
lmao yeah, let me just hit backspace to erase this text

*entire page vanishes, previous page starts loading*

yes, this makes perfect sense. this is the behaviour i want.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
inbox just works for me

on my personal account that doesn't get very much email. i tried using it for work stuffs but just went back to regular gmail because i already had filters to do everything i wanted

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
in general if someone has physical access to a device you can't stop them from wiping and using it as if it were a new one.

though i'm sure some vendors would love it if they could lock you out of your phone and force you to buy a new one if you ever typo'd your password three times in a row

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
throw iphone users in the pool at every opportunity

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BiohazrD posted:

thats cool, theyll get it 90% done (the easy stuff) and get to the hard parts that actually require time and effort to solve and make work properly and never do them

it's already done though, at least on the internal version.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
basically it's the difference between laptops people use, and laptops people flaunt as a status symbol

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Management posted:

I don't get it, why can't they just make a blatant iMessage clone? apple has already proven it out, just loving copy it wholesale. don't even try to be clever or improve it, just call it gmessage and make it identical. then give it a few years for adoption before shutting it down since everyone still uses hangouts

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
smdh if you can't handle a balmy seventy degrees kelvin

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you shouldn't need to be told how to use a device. the use should be apparent from the design.

if the design necessitates any form of "tutorial", it has failed as a design.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
why do you need scrip, just keep wages stagnant but keep upping the amount of free food, free clothing, free vacations etc. you give them to make it feel like they're getting more

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you're okay with being cover for pedophiles doing pedophile things

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
tbh the sort of traffic analysis and side-channel leakage that tends to deanonymize tor users still works just fine even if you're tunneling through a vpn first.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
where's my smart pocketwatch

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
paying it forward

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
giving them a phone that can't call 911 is probably a good way to get rid of them, yes

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
windows ui: literally worse than web dev

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

The Management posted:

it's wankery by people who figured out how to get paid for just screwing around

that'll be "what is computer programming", alex

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
hangouts is v. needs-suiting* and i still don't understand what allo's target market is

* except for when it silently drops your messages, lmao

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
my longhorn is actually a microsoft

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

how does my crosoft make money from the home use program? i bought office pro and visio pro for a cheap as free (only $18)

you become familiar with using those tools, and then your workplace ends up buying it at full enterprise cost

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

anthonypants posted:

popular slack clone discord has blamed google for some of their recent instability https://status.discordapp.com/incidents/mpzkz7m4fzpt

lmao, "we built a distributed system that falls over at the first sign of packet loss"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
not having tolls is essentially a huge government handout to car owners and trucking businesses

the government should instead (especially in cities) be subsidizing cycling, public transit, and other non-private-automobile ways of moving around

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
no comments section and no awful "here's what's trending" recommendations? seems like an improvement

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
yes, we lose money on every product we sell, but look at how much sales are increasing by! we'll make it up with volume eventually

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's actually a good thing for a restaurant to turn away "business" that is merely going to reserve a table (and prevent you from giving it to other customers), but never actually show up or pay you any money

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i think for streaming games you'd have to have a local machine doing the latency-sensitive rendering and input handing and such, and then the machine you're streaming it from can handle the game logic and so on

you might ask yourself what this actually buys you since everyone still needs a beefy local machine, but then i say "drm" and all the video game producers start nodding along as though it's a good idea

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
200ms server latency is playable, you just get shot around corners a bit (because you weren't around the corner yet on the other guy's screen). not ideal but it's still workable.

hell it's even playable without lag compensation, you just get used to leading even your hitscan shots. then you go to lan and start potatoing everything because you're leading people too much, lmao

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
gotta get them inoculated early, otherwise they'll grow up into someone who sees an ad and actually believes what it's telling them

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i don't use facebook because i don't support genocide, you all should do the same

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

no one actually thought it would compete with fb for like, a newsfeed and all your friends lists and sharing and poo poo.

the impression i got from vic was that he actually did consider himself a jobsian messiah and his social media product would obviously end up killing facebook why would you not want to use it?

a lot of the lower-level people almost certainly knew it was bullshit, but delusions at the top tend to taint the whole thing

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the language used to describe scoring a crushing victory over someone in a videogame has historically not been very good either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the real answer is that it hails from a simpler time, when we were dumb and stupid fascism was roundly beaten and nazis were a historical joke rather than a serious political force

anyone still using it in 2018 is pretty sus

• Locked thread