Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

creationist believer posted:

yospos magnets commercial: did things that used to bring your pleasure now just bring you kevin?

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
i don't get googs messaging poo poo. gchat circa 2k6 was needs-suiting. it was nice at the time because I think you could use aim with it, which meant everyone could finally uninstall aim or trillian or whatever.

the names keep getting dumber and dumber too.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
I love & wish I had imessage because it looks really loving good. but at the same time I hate it because I don't have it and people have shamed me for my blue colored texts

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

PleasureKevin posted:

also, lol at AT&T going savage on Google over their failed Internet plans.

http://www.attpublicpolicy.com/fcc/broadband-investmentnot-for-the-faint-of-heart/

this is the company who are saving everything. getting into every industry and disrupting it on a huge scale, money being no object.

lmao. what happened to that balloon internet poo poo? does google still use that as an example of innovation or is it killed?

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
working at goog is good, imo. the pay / bennies are fully sick. I'm making 1.5-2x total comp compared to what I'd get elsewhere and the infrastructure / codebase is probably the best in the world. only thing that would make me quit is if I had to move to the west coast.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
I've never used inbox and I don't understand why inbox exists

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

same

also everyone join the goons list i think the last post was from 2013

nobody posts there because linking internal docs and saying "chome fail" would be considered un googley if it was ever noticed

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

Endless Mike posted:

if you install it on anotehr device,

unlikely

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
uggh someone pushed a garbage update and now my nexus 5x doesn't work with bluetooth headphones anymore. this is the second time this has happened in the last year.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
when the iphone came out I was using a nokia 770 internet tablet. it was kinda cool. 800px wide screen, multitasking, fully functional web browser (with flash support) and people wrote some semi-deece apps for it.

until iphone 3g or whatever, I think it was a better device for a lot of use cases than an iphone.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
It's 2016 and I just had to put my phone in the fridge to pull it out of a reboot loop.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
I heard there's also different tax implications if employees get to choose the charity

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

qirex posted:

lol my last job was at a boring corporate hellhole and I got at least 20% bonus every year

the gift is a totally separate thing from the yearly bonus

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
i think the cloud stuff has real support if you pay for a support plan

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
google cloud spanner is in beta now. idk what it's like externally yet, but internally spanner is my fav goog thing. It's a database that Just Works.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the biggest joke is that their new york office already had a fireman's pole

as usual boston is just catching up

does it? ive never heard of that. i thought there was just the ladder from 4-5

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

mishaq posted:

i really hate the concept of "projects" in google cloud,

me as well, and I work on a cloud product. they must be an artifact of older poo poo because I feel like some of the ways they're used don't make any sense

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
maybe i have an autistic anroid-trained brain, but when i pick up an iphone i have no idea how to use it. the interface is not intuitive at all. someone will be driving and be like 'can you grab my phone and text beth we're on the way' and i'll end up deleting an email instead.

that said, im pissed as heck about google phones. i got a nexus 5x, and it got bricked by the reboot-loop issue just after the warranty period. so i got a pixel. it's less than 6mo and the audio system is completely hosed. microphone doesn't work, speaker doesn't work, headphones don't work unless they're bluetooth. its completely useless as a phone. my friends are like "just bring it back to the store. oh wait lol owned". i have to mail it back and wait for a new one (if they even have any) like its fuckin 2002.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
do the googley thing and just use fuckin textproto so you can have a schema and don't have to write xml

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
Glass is back, baby. Enterprise Edition.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
wordperfect was really good because I could use it as an excuse for why my homework wouldn't print until like 9th grade

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

My Linux Rig posted:

don't forget the 3D phase, where your phone had a built in vertigo simulator

Christ this was a lovely phone

funny fact: this came bundled with the only 3D movie you could watch on this, and it was the green lantern :whitewater:

I had this phone and found it very needs suiting. at the time I think it was the best phone you could get on sprint (I made a lot of lovely choices back then)

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

Cocoa Crispies posted:

only do the kind of 2fa that texts or emails you if you have no other choice

totp ("google authenticator" with the six digit codes) is good and works everywhere
u2f (one of these, generally requires usb) is the best but you can't use it on your phone and you gotta use chrome or firefox

I have one of those yubikeys with nfc built in. I swear I used the nfc with my phone once, but i don't remember what for.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
imo when it came out the chrome pdf viewer was a big improvement over installing adobe software just to view pdfs. nowadays idk

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

lol that's dumb but why not create a team drive for each project/team?

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

anthonypants posted:

i can think of several reasons why there might be subfolders inside of a shared folder

if a bunch of docs need to be shared among a group of people (a team), make a team drive for that team problem solved wontfix

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
I have hope that it isn't all bad. I know there was one person who responded to damore directly something like "your ideas are poo poo and so are you. gently caress you, motherfucker. I will continue saying this until one of us is gone." and they still work at goog.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

Jenny Agutter posted:

why would you put something on goog photos if you weren't going to share it?

it's kinda nice to be able to search "cat" and have it show me all the pictures of my cats without me manually tagging things

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
Y'all watch the Google io 'duplex' vid where they trained a bot to talk on the phone with customer service? it sounds pretty convincingly human. Not perfect, but close enough that most people probably won't notice the difference if they aren't actively trying.

I can't wait for this tech to become publicly available and watch it immediately get used for automated social engineering: Transferring Your 2FA Phone Number To A Romanian Dude As A Service.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
lol at the implication that there is any meaningful difference between 'doing contracts for the US military' and 'being a nationalistic defense contractor'

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
if it was physically possible, i think a cloud gaming service would be cool as poo poo

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
also i would guess that sticking rendering in edge data centers is a bit more complicated than a cdn. like, storage is pretty fungible, data can be replicated, bad disks can be detected and swapped out. trying to create consistent real time performance and reliability with a bunch of lovely gpus seems challenging

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
I went to a wedding ring website and now every ad on every site I go to is for wedding rings.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

The Management posted:

because inventing languages and frameworks is much more fun than shipping products

Shipping products is pretty fun too. It's just maintaining them w/o completely rewriting them thats boring

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

akadajet posted:

but what if the people who made it in the first place did a rush job to get it out to market by an arbitrary date and it's now an unmaintainable mess??? now can i rewrite it?

tbh I think 'the old product has too much tech debt' is a pretty common part of every justification for reinventing products internally

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
my experience with google+ is that their sre teams developed some pretty decent release/production automation that my totally unrelated team adopted years later

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
lol wow he was only there 8 months? kinda impressive to unintentionally make multiple people dislike him enough to want him fired in that amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

akadajet posted:

i store mine on icloud

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/26/apple-confirms-it-uses-google-cloud-for-icloud.html

• Locked thread