Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Energy Shield is a really strong talent for survivability if you are doing Hardcore. The trick to making ES work is you have to max out both ES and Telekinesis (TK is a synergy, not sure if its listed though) and stacking flat physical/magic damage reduction on gear. Iirc, resistances don't matter that much for ES since the damage you take to your mana is before factoring resistances, although its still good to have it. For offense, you could focus on Lightning since you are already going to invest 40 points in the lightning tree for ES/TK, or Frozen Orb since you only need to invest 40 points in offense (FO/Cold Mastery). There is also a relatively easy-to-make runeword that buffs ES you can use on your swap for buffing, I think its called Memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

If you can get your hands on a Skin of the Vipermagi its really good for ES builds since it has +1 all, fast cast, and 10 flat magic damage reduction which will reduce any magic/spell damage taken to your life after the damage is dealt to your mana.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

About a year or so before D3 came out I did a self-found solo play of hardcore and actually managed to kill Hell Baal at level 83. It was really intense and I had a lot of fun, but I don't know if I would want to try it again. My closest call was getting cornered by the Lightning Enchanted council member in Hell Durance 3 with only a bonewall keeping him at bay.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

You can make a Memory and keep it in your stash to buff ES at the start of a game, since the only time it falls off is if you get smacked by a Mana Burn guy.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I remember trying a poison necro a few years ago and it was cool until I tried to do some stuff in A5 and couldn't get through doors because they were poison immune.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Hooplah posted:

Just because the game takes a long time to do things doesn't mean it has depth.

So a big Median XL update just hit today - anyone playing that? Thoughts so far? I've never bothered with that mod because ES is so good but I may give it a shot now

I am playing and it seems pretty cool.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Star Man posted:

Hence the MeteorOrb build.

I think I'll just stick with lightning.

I always found Fireball to be a lot more dps than Meteor once you had some FCR.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Smoke_Max posted:

What would you guys recommend as a melee character? I mostly play sorc, necro and trap assassin, so I wanna try something new. I know melee characters really struggle in hell, so what's one of the easier ones you guys think I should start with?

Kicksin with the Rift runeword (Hel Ko Lem Gul) and enjoy kicking out rapid-fire Frozen Orbs everywhere.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Its been a while since I played non-modded D2 so I made a Sorc on USEast Hardcore ladder and it has been surprisingly chill. I am doing a solo-self found run and I am just gonna see how far I can get before I die. Currently I am hybrid life/es using Frozen Orb as my main spell with Firewall + merc to take out cold immunes. Before I go into Hell I am going to switch to full ES, but that is still at least 20 levels away.

Edit - Welp I died to desync in A5 nightmare.

soscannonballs fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 19, 2018

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Path of Diablo has a ladder reset dropping today as well.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

My auradin had a grief/exile weapon swap setup to do ubers. Didn't have to worry about uber Meph's Conviction aura since mine was higher level.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I would also be down to shoot the poo poo regarding D2. I can't do anything Tuesday or Thursday nights since I raid in WoW.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Iirc Strafe's damage doesn't actually scale much with additional points. I never tried the Freeze arrow version of the build, but Strafe/Multi was a lot of fun.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

So Median XL is releasing its new giant overhaul on Friday if anyone ever played that and wants to scratch the D2 itch. There are a whole bunch of changes https://www.median-xl.com/changelog

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I have no idea what's good, I've only barely dipped my toes into Median and it looks like a lot of stuff has changed. I liked the melee necromancer but it seems to have a slight damage nerf this patch. I also liked the psi-storm assassin but I don't know if its end-game viable.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Does slash diablo change skills at all?

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Just make an Insight runeword polearm for your A2 merc. I think the runes are Ral Tir Tal Sol.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Make sure you put it in a Polearm and not a Spear.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I don't know if it was a bug that eventually got fixed but I remember being able to switch to conviction aura to break immunities and then back to shock aura to damage enemies for a few seconds.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I don't want modern blizzard doing any kind of balance changes, they would probably end up making Teleport a 6s cooldown or something. Just make the game look nicer and let modders keep tinkering with stuff so people can play mods with changes that appeal to them.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I got a Cham rune in single player after the patch in 09 or 10 that upped the drop rates.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Is it possible to have multiple d2 mods installed? Ive had median xl installed for the past 2 years or so and jump on it once every couple of months, but it would be cool to mess around with PoD or even Eastern Sun.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

the two main problems with Poison Dagger are the large number of immune enemies in Hell, combined with the 10 second duration on the Poison (compared to 2 seconds on Poison Nova) and how the various interactions with added poison on items can change the duration to make it worse

but other than that, the fact that poison damage in D2 can kill a monster straight dead with no other input, and the damage scaling being so good on anything that's actually vulnerable, makes it a very cool/useful build

The trick with Poison Dagger is to get a source of Venom. Normally the duration of Poison Dagger will be averaged with any of your other sources of poison from gear, but Venom is special and basically combines all your sources of poison from gear into one new mega poison with a fixed duration of .4 seconds. This .4 seconds just gets added to Poison Dagger, so you get a nice big poison that lasts long enough to actually kill things that aren't immune.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

My favorite sorc build is ES/FO since FO doesn't need a lot of synergy investment you can fully buff up Energy Shield and its synergies for a really tanky character as long as you don't get hit by mana burn mobs. ES gear is also usually pretty cheap since it wants niche stuff with flat phys/magic damage reduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Durendal posted:

For as solved as a game that D2 is, it is hard to find builds and gearing resources.

A lot of gearing just comes down to knowing which runewords/uniques are really good for the build you are doing and filling in the rest of your gear with rares that have life/resists. There are some niche things like knowing how to upgrade uniques to exceptional/elite bases if they have good stats and crafting gear via the horadric cube, but for the most part you can just go to arreatsummit and look at runewords and uniques and figure out what you want. For skills its also pretty simple - decide what skill you want and max it and its synergies, then use your leftover points on defensive skills or support skills. For stats most build put enough into strength to wear gear and the rest into vitality. If you are going max block there are calculators which tell you how much dex you need. ES sorcs dump into energy instead of vitality.

One thing I will mention that people still dont know about is the "Damage Reduced by %" affix, for example from a Ber rune or on Shako, doesn't actually reduce all damage you take by x%, it only reduces physical damage so you treat it like physical resist. It caps at 50% instead of 75% and doesn't get penalized in higher difficulty like elemental resists. Another thing a lot of people don't know is that the duration of poisons on you is governed by a hidden poison duration stat which gets lowered in nm/hell just like elemental resists, so if you don't have any poison length reduction from gear poisons in hell will last 100% longer, which is why the mummy before Baal puts a long rear end poison on you.