Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
There's also The Hell mod for Diablo1. It's pretty good and still actively updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Does anyone have an inside scoop on when the ladder is resetting? I haven't really touched d2 since 2010 or 2011, but for some reason I want to play and I want the ladder to reset right now. Supposedly it should reset on the 24th or 2nd, but they haven't announced anything yet.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Anyone planning on playing the reset on the 24th?

I am trying to decide between classic or expansion, softcore or hardcore, probably on USEast.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zogo posted:

If you do HC watch out for those tomb vipers who always have that powerful damage glitch that seems more dangerous than anything else in the game except player duels.

Is there any advantage to doing classic? I don't remember any except the disadvantage of having a smaller stash.
It's more of a ladder and less of a bot fest, but I suppose that's not really true because the top characters on classic (not sure about classic hardcore) are usually botted now using stuff like this.

Rushing people on classic is generally faster than rushing on expansion because you don't need a glitcher. You can just take level 1s without requiring a level 40 and then convert to expansion. Classic stuff is usually worth tons more forum gold due to less supply/item selling sites not getting involved.

There's no super overpowered gear and chaos is significantly more enjoyable than baal runs.

With that said, it's also much grindier and there are some other downsides. I just happen to enjoy classic. Both ladders are ghost towns right now so it's hard to say how dead classic is.

I always end up playing both classic+expansion. I'm just not sure what I'll be starting right after reset.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 23, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Dizz posted:

I'm playing on USEast. I made a dinky little barb that will probably go IK.

If you have any cool mauls or barb poo poo i want it.

E: I also heard there's a maphack that's undetectable. that true? Also is there any info on which channels exist for baal runs?
Warden is not on and hasn't been on since 2010? So you can even use previously banned maphacks (although they have to have 1.13d pointers/1.12+ structs unless you use version hack). d2 map reveal probably wouldn't even get detected with warden on.

They did change how they server side detect some things with the recent ladder. If you get realm down and make games after you get perm banned. Lots of legit players are getting hit, poorly configured bots are getting hit, most botters/people cheating aren't getting banned. It's actually really lovely.

To avoid realm down just don't join more than 20 games in an hour (per cd key per ip, so if you change yourcdkey or ip before 20 games you won't get realm down) and don't switch between characters rapidly, wait around 30 seconds. Also don't hammer the login or character select. Most other realm downs aren't really possible while playing legitimately. Farcast type stuff is a bit risky (auto teleport too) because there is server side detection but it's difficult and extremely rare to trigger.

edit: edgeofnowhere/blizzhackers has generally safe downloads. ProjectEtal also has safe downloads.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Nov 28, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

FalloutGod posted:

So... uswest is kind of a ghost town and I've switched to east. The population is double if not triple. Started a pally. I might be talkin to my self at this point but oh well. This subforum doesn't seem to move that quick anymore anyway so I don't feel too bad double posting. Send me a message if you're around.
I was playing east classic and on top of ladder for a bit after reset, but after the 8 man bot teams came online I couldn't compete. I ended up moving to a private server where botting isn't allowed.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 17, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Xenochrist posted:

Same, started on east but switched to slash Diablo, where map hacks and multi boxing are allowed, and there's no botting. Pretty good community too. Unfortunately the server has been down for almost a week, apparently it will be back soon though.
Yeah, I am playing the slash diablo events server which is modded but whatever it's fun enough. They have a hardcore community and I love hardcore, but I am playing softcore pretty much alone instead. I'll probably play the main server next reset or something which won't be for a while.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Unforgiven posted:

When the D2 patch update showed up in my news feed, I had an incredibly potent feeling of nostalgia. The last time I played was probably 5-6 years ago. The hankering to return is STRONG. In middle and high school I put hundreds of hours into this game. Are there enough/any goons in the old LLJK to bother coming back to play with?
If you want to bot then play on the official servers after a reset.

If you want to actually play then reddit has a server up that's decent.

There are also some passable modded servers.

I don't think there is a goon presence at all, but I still enjoy playing for a while just before and slightly after resets. It's just a mechanically enjoyable game to me.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Unforgiven posted:

Blizzard isn't laying down the ban hammer for botting anymore? I got my account frozen (not CD Key) in 2010 for using maphack... What bots/maphacks are they using? I would love to try to put together all of the old classes I used to play (Smite Pally, Hammerdin, Windy Druid, Trap Sin, etc. etc.), but it would only be doable if I could bot while I sleep. Being a grad student isn't really conducive to hundreds of hours of Meph/Pindle/Baal runs.

P.S. I'm not asking for files. I was just curious of the names of a safe program.
Technically most/none of them are safe and they just have warden off. There are also things that will bail if warden turns on, but warden has literally just not been on since 2011 or something.

There was a minor ban scare at the start of this current ladder, but I don't think anything substantial came of it. They screwed something up and half of the people banned were legit players who got realm downs and tried to reconnect.

The same site since the dawn of time has them all. Not sure if we can name drop.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

AugmentedVision posted:

wtf

seems like they just broke the path and it's gonna be fixed in hours?
It could be offsets, and similar depending on what they did with the dlls, changed as well. As long as there is still one competent person around releasing things publicly, it should be sorted out within a few days tops.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Most of the sites are ran by one company. As weird as it sounds.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 30, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Kazvall posted:

It's not duping. It's just botting. Not really hard to come home from work with an inventory full of gear.
The item selling sites definitely have quite a few exploits. They have a full selection of gear and high runes within a few hours of a realm reset. No amount of botting/top tier play will get you there.

Sometimes they are even the ones who leak public dupe methods to get it patched and attack competition.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

GoldenTeeth posted:

Any recommendations for good private servers that are vanilla-ish? I'm happy with slightly increased drop/exp rates and other quality of life stuff but no massive ES-style overhauls
http://www.reddit.com/r/slashdiablo/

It's the defacto bnet server these days for people who actually play and don't want to bot.

They also have a modded server that's more ES-like, but it's not nearly as nuts as ES and it's continually developed and kinda cool. It's more like another expansion or was a year ago. I was top 3 on the ladder for that a few seasons ago by running my own 8 player games which took 3 ips because I'm a big fuckin nerd.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Vakal posted:

Not +3 to skill set.

Trash.
You can only get +3 on blues.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

Ok, my Necromancer is at level 17, has a full possy of skelebros, a spear with three red gems in it, and I still cannot kill the act 1 Demon Lady. Do I just suck?
Yeah. Andariel is a level 12-15 thing. Probably just keep amplify damage on her and keep resummoning clay golem to absorb hits. If you get 18 you can put a point in bone spear and it will probably slay her easy. Not sure how corpse explosion works vs her, but I imagine it won't be that bad either. Everytime I've played a necro recently I just don't try to have summons do damage.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 23, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Star Man posted:

My reaction was more of an "oh, it's inspired by Path of Exile" and that game's crowd has really put me off of playing it and I'm told that combat in the game is pretty janky. That's pretty much where my opinion on the game lies.

But I'm of the opinion that if I'm going to play a mod of a game that tries to make it into some other game or borrows a lot from another, I'll just go play that other game instead.
Combat in PoE is better than D3 in some ways. People who think it's janky are looking at visuals rather than reacting to actual gameplay, where d3's combat mechanics are atrocious. Whether how PoE actually plays out on a map vs how d3 plays out in a gr with managing stacks/cooldowns/skipping things is better is really up for debate and down to personal taste, personally I think d3 has a slight edge there, but on the smaller scale of "actually fighting a thing" PoE blows d3 away.

And to disclose, I'm paragon 1400+ and placed in all 4 brackets in d3 this season. So it's not like I hate current d3. It certainly has its positives and can be very fast paced and fun.

I don't think poe really has the crowd people think it does. Most of the top poe players have been decent d3/d2 players and just like the genre in general. The "gently caress d3" crowd are the bad players in general chat who want to play a "not casual" game because they told you they were hardcore. As long as you look up a build, poe is casual as heck now probably even more casual than d3. Also, PoE's hardcore experience is wonderful compared to d3's. It doesn't have anything like the constant upgrade/loot/paragon grind, though. It's more of a game you want to play because it's a game and you're exploring a build while d3 you just kinda grind to get incrementally better and start out with your finished build. You get plenty of upgrades in PoE, don't get me wrong, but there is much less emphasis on getting items once you have some baseline stuff.

One way to compare the two, PoE is designed to actually be played through and with the player in mind when it comes to pretty much everything. D3 was designed by a committee of people who have never competently played an arpg in their life. It was then saved by god drat geniuses who took that dumpster fire of a game and somehow made it enjoyable despite its unfathomably poor netcode, mechanics, and single player. Like, they somehow took a bunch of bad stuff and built a good game on top of it without fixing the bad stuff. I really can't speak highly enough of the people who came up with the current state of d3.

PoE really nails the d2 feeling of "what if I build this way" and keeps you interested in that progression on a new character. D3 really nails the "MORE EXP, MORE ITEMS" aspect of d2 and offers a unique experience with higher GRs and group dynamics. I can't imagine playing through d3 single player intentionally, yet in poe playing through on a new character is fun to the point where I finished top 10 on races one season. At the same time, I've never really been a big fan of poe endgame while d3 endgame is pretty fun still.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 23, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

I tried a bunch of different arpgs over the last few weeks trying to find one that I liked and PoE was the one I liked the best, but I have no interest in reading a million forum posts about builds and it quickly became apparent that I was going to hit a wall where being stoned and clicking really fast isnt' enough.

D2 is so far just as fun as my memories of playing it back in the day, I love it way more then D3, which only held my interest for a few hours.
PoE life hack if you don't want to just screw around and make fun/crappy characters: Just look at the current ladder, or hardcore ladder, and steal a build from there. Don't accidentally steal a support build, though.

Max Wilco posted:

I always get confused when people use 'PoE', because usually they're talking about Path of Exile, but at first I think they're talking about Pillars of Eternity.

I haven't really put a lot time into Diablo 2 so far. I'm playing as the Sorceress (currently at Level 16), and I've made it to the start of Chapter 2, but I don't really feel hooked on it so far.

All that being said, part of me still wants to try Diablo 3. I've seen people playing what looks like post-game content on Twitch, and it looks pretty insane with people fighting superbosses and doing damage in the thousands. It looks a little more streamlined, but it still sound like people aren't really keen on it .I thought maybe it'd be something to pick up when it goes on sale, but I don't really follow Blizzard, but they don't seem the type to have frequent sales like Steam does.
Tough out sorceress until 30 or so. Sorceress is absolutely brutal to play from 16-24, but once you get rolling it's the most broken class in d2. With respecs, you're probably best off just dumping points into something that murders early then resetting once you get to a level where you can get your actual spells. With synergies, you can honestly dump them into a synergy skill that boosts what you are shooting for and avoid the reset altogether.

And yeah, the d3 endgame is fun. And it dumps you in it right away if you want it to, because you can ask for a power level in lljk community and then do the season journey which most people enjoy. After that you're kinda dumped into the endgame which goes on forever. You're not missing anything from 1-70, you awkwardly fumble around with random skills gaining exp kinda slowly and learn pretty much nothing except "this is a rift, you kill stuff and a guardian spawns" and "you can level by getting a kill streak bonus, which you don't get in rifts/grifts so it's useless knowledge after you hit 70".

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 23, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

Man, being able to play along is most of the appeal for me. I sunk a ton of time into WoW when it first came out but quit once I had to party up with people.

In D2 news, I respeced with some more support skills and kicked the deamon lady's rear end. Act II seems huge and I am pumped as hell. Question, I have found that letting the minions fight and harking back to re-raise them as needed and cast Amplify Damage. I cast Teeth to get some dmg in, but it kills my mana. I have been pumping Vitality for more HP, when can I start dumping points into mana?

Also I assume that any extra damage from getting like a bow is less helpful than whatever bonuses a good wand will provide?
You have to chug mana potions and go buy more if you want to spam spells like teeth/bone spear. At least until you can make the Insight runeword.

Points in energy don't really help much and are a bad idea usually. You pretty much want enough str/dex to wear gear, vit. There's also the option to get max block which requires a bit more dex but I'd avoid thinking about that for now.

Equipping a mercenary, especially an a2 one, with a decent weapon might help you immensely. A2 mercs also give an aura to all your dudes, and there are some runewords for auras also.

And wand vs weapon depends early on. Sometimes it's better to just have a weapon on and beat stuff up, other times it's better to have the +skill bonuses from a wand. Wands can also give faster cast rate (not interesting to a summoner until insane endgame gear with teleport), mana and resists.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 24, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bongwizzard posted:

Poop, well I did waste a handfull of points during respec on mana, but not too many.

I was not aware I could give my merc gear, how do I do that?
It's O, P, or ; by default I think. Not sure which. You can check in options.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Metal Meltdown posted:

Don't sweat giving yourself some energy. The old mantra of "never skill energy" comes from the days of no respecs. It also comes from the fact that the super end game gear gives you enough energy to completely manage your skills with judicious use of mana potions. However, you're very far from that point so some extra energy will make your early levels far more pleasant, which is what counts.
The problem is energy doesn't make things more pleasant.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Holyshoot posted:

you expect star man to have a good op? He melted down in the d3 thread. A game where people play for a few weeks then quit because the game play is about as deep as a kiddy pool.
Most people who only play for a few weeks don't even get their feet wet.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SuperKlaus posted:

Does anyone know the following things about Leap Attack:

When you attack a guy within your weapon range, you do not leap, but you do or do not spend mana, and you do or do not get Leap Attack AR and Damage?

Does faster attack speed matter at all when using it?

I think I'd like a gimmick leap barbarian to play but I don't know if he wants to use long range slow spears or what.
If you don't leap you don't leap attack. It just does a normal auto attack without leaping. Use hold position hotkey and it will always leap.

It's not very viable.

You can cheese some stuff by using normal leap to get it to a wall, use the hold position+leap attack to spam it with next to no travel time, and then it dies if it's a single thing. You can also use things like taunt or the fear shout whose name escapes me to isolate single dudes? But this sounds really gimmicky when all the good builds just murder a man instantly.

Normal leap is real fun with a group. In classic it's pretty common to max it because barb just uses BO and find item. It doesn't do damage, but it's fun.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 22, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gaggins posted:

I just made my first meteorb sorc because I knew Infinity was far, far away. It's not that great - I like it better than a blizzard sorc but that's about all. When I do get Infinity, I'm going to respec back to fire to give it a shot (currently using lightning+frozen orb but it's not much better) because those fireballs really are no joke. Lit sorc with Infinity is still the best, though.
Try Blizz+Nova

http://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=53828922&f=87

You can ignore the ES stuff. I use that build early season while playing legit and also while botting. It's good with poo poo gear and it scales reasonably well (math wise, arguably almost as well as lightning until you start getting into super nerd gear) with infinity. It does take mana pots so if you don't like those then sorry. It's also pretty solid with just insight on merc which is fun and good in my opinion.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

codo27 posted:

>try to type "its"
>typo "ist"
>think about runes and reinstall d2
jah ist bertir tal pulel than think.

Trying to writ english with rune names is hard.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

wtftastic posted:

I reinstalled and am playing as a bowazon on US east. I blame Mr Llama for getting me back into it. Any tips on low level rune gear? I never seriously tried to make runewords or other gear and am trying this go around. I just made myself a Stealth to help with mana etc but not sure what else to do with low runes or how to trade up for sol etc.
Tal+Eth in armor is amazing for everyone.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

OhFunny posted:

So kinda cross posting from the W3 thread, but Blizzards wants to crackdown on the cheaters in multiplayer before moving forward with a D2 remaster.
Do they really when they moved the warden guy off of it years ago, haven't patched exploits reported to them, and have done nothing at all to stop the spam bots who can't even stay connected to a game for 20s without dropping because they don't respond to a simple challenge? The quality of warden on their newer titles has been subpar compared to the old d2 guy's work for years, too. Warden went from being somewhat actively updated and reasonably implemented to a total farce around the time d3 came out.

They could have a nearly cheat free ladder by hiring a single skilled dude, ensuring there is adequate logging after a new reset, and then fixing the exploits that the companies use.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 27, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Siets posted:

So Blizzard dropped 1.14D with sparse information for patch notes not too long ago. Sounds like the real meat of the patch was improvements to their bot and hack detection that resulted in a mass ban-wave shortly after the patch dropped. The downside I’m noticing is that the game feels VERY laggy now. I constantly experience heavy rubber banding and lag teleports. This is all despite living in a metro area and owning the fastest internet tier that is offered by my cable service. I’m wondering if Blizzard divested in Diablo 2 BNet resources just that much, or if maybe their new security detection methods aren’t well optimized with the old net code? Curious if others here are experiencing lag issues as well. I’d like to keep playing and reroll when the upcoming ladder reset happens, but these dramatic lag spikes are really putting me off (and make playing hardcore an impossibility.)
If people are using certain exploits the game server they are on will lag. In all games.

It's real common to lag the server hardcore using exploits to dupe.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

moush posted:

Hopefully they add some new endgame to it if they do remake it. The gameplay is still probably the best in the genre but it could use some refinement when it comes to longevity.
They have to fix something, because you can't even level efficiently on official bnet without multiple cdkeys. You will literally eat ip bans if you do baal or chaos runs efficiently for doing too many games in too short of a timespan.

This was a half-assed stopgap to stop pindle botting and item seller spam that didn't even work because you can also stop this from happening with third party tools that don't involve cdkey or ip changes.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

dad on the rag posted:

Ladder only rune words, no more plugy development, ladder is fun for the first week or two.
There are private servers with more real players and no bullshit. Reddit's slashdiablo was one. I'm not up to date on the d2 scene. Maybe the new d2 patch fixed up official servers a bit.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 23, 2018

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Maha posted:

What's generally better to run - NM Meph, NM Baal or quest-bugged Hell Andy?
It depends on your level and what you can kill trivially and what you are trying to get.

If nm baal is good exp then might as well run it until it's not.

If you can't do it fast or efficiently, or if you just want beginner gear, then do nm meph/hell andy, depending on which you can slay easier.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

PC Gamer | A coder spent 1,200 hours reverse-engineering Diablo's source code

Anyone think that this might open the door for some more mods or something?
Looking through the source, maybe? It's not entirely what it claims to be, but it would be wildly useful for anyone looking to mod the game. Most of the function calls I saw have no parameters and are accessing registers ala asm.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 25, 2018

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Malah posted:

I wish D2 had functional borderless. Tabbing out of fullscreen is glitchy and windowed mode is too small to play on.
Run a VM, maybe an xp vm, and then just make the vm the window size you want.

It's better than the glide emulator or anything else I've tried. Fatal flaw to the emulator's windowed is mouse cursor position resets.

Laslow posted:

You can maximize the window now, so you get a nice big 4:3 window. It’s much better than full screen because it doesn’t stretch to widescreen so it looks decent.
If this is true in the new version then it's also a good solution.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

feelix posted:

Spirit shield is such a troll

I was all excited to make such a sick shield with super low runes but then it turns out 4 socket non pally shields don't drop until Hell
They also require tons of str.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Molybdenum posted:

I'm probably just going to buy gear rather than grind for anything. Can anyone recommend a store or explain how the purchase works? I just make a game for a mule bot that dumps everything or???
When I sold d2 stuff many years ago I'd just make an account with a level 1 on it and give people the account name+password. Given that most of these sites probably automate this or pay someone less than minimum wage to do it, I'd bet they do the same. That way there's 0 coordination required.

I'd probably not buy things. Just play for fun. Probably on a private server. One of the modded ones or reddit's r/slashdiablo. Their ladder resets nov 16th which will be a good time to play. If you want to bot, official servers are good too.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 11, 2018

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Molybdenum posted:

I'm doing a lightning jazaon for the first time ever, so any items they would use. I've only ever played paladins, necros and sorcs. All of them bad builds. This is probably my first standard character.

Currently low 30s and rocking a tarnhelm and whatever garbage the vendors have for sale so almost anything would be an upgrade. I guess I need Mana/energy charms since all the guides say no points in energy???
You can reset stats/skills now.

Honestly, starting as javazon solo is pretty brutal.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
If anyone is interested in playing slashdiablo's ladder reset next friday I'm up for it. I already have my windows xp vms all setup to run the max allowable clients like a big nerd. I'm open to expansion or classic, hardcore or softcore although I have no clue how stable my internet is at my new place.

In fact, if anyone is interested in trying classic it'd be kinda fun. I don't think there's really a classic community there judging by the ladder being a few nights worth of classic play.

Star Man posted:

I'm walking my way through the game on ladder for an upcoming project. At the casual pace that I'm going, I seem to remember that once I hit level 24, the only quick way to get through it quickly was in normal cows or the Ancients quest. Otherwise, it was a bottleneck for experience and you'd reach it in act III and be stuck at that level for a while. Even if you did Hell Chaos runs with a glitch rushed character at a low level, level 24 would take a while to get through. Was that bottleneck removed?
It's 20-25 or so that are the slowest levels. After 25 you aren't penalized as much and start getting a lot more exp.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 11, 2018

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Having messed around with Path of Diablo and Median XL this weekend, they're both really good in their own ways. PoD is like normal LoD with some quality of life improvements. It's 95% d2, 5% a different game or 90%/10%. You can even pick which game server you get put on despite being on one shared realm. So you can have good latency no matter where you are. And most of the changes seem legitimately positive for the game. It's not surprising they're one of the most active servers out there and that the lod private servers practically died out.

Median XL is an entirely different game and kinda overwhelming at first but it has lots of neat stuff too. I avoided it for ages because I like plain ol d2, but having tried lots of ARPGs in the past 5 years I figured I'd give it a shot. It seems like you mostly level as you plow through the game, there is a ridiculous amount of item customization you can participate in, and they completely redid most things. It feels like 20% d2, 80% a different game.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Slashdiablo's realm resets on friday at 7pm est.

I might be playing classic for a bit after the reset. If anyone else wants to join in, we'll almost certainly have space because no one plays classic on slashdiablo. Which means you'll be in the top 10 ladder for sure! All season! Even if you quit after the first night!

This post goes over some cool things about classic, but in all honesty you'll probably just convert to expansion at some point during the night.

Setup guide for slashdiablo. Requires a fresh install. Note, you should always use garbage cdkeys and not your real ones for private servers. Slashd has been around for a while, has no monetization, and the guy who runs it is a big nerd who loves the game and plays resets himself so you're probably safe either way.

A lot of people will probably play the expansion reset, too. Resets are always kinda fun for a few days.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 14, 2018

Khorne
May 1, 2002

THE BAR posted:

I was just browsing my LoD manual, and... Was there really no elite items in classic?
No elite items. No 3 socket helms. No 4 socket armor. Gems were worse until some patch buffed them. No exceptional uniques. No set bonuses. No immunities. No cooldowns on anything, but damage was lower. No synergies. Lots of the utility abilities were weaker. Blessed Hammer working with conc was a "bug" that was fixed and then unfixed. Multishot lightning enchanted spit out infinite lightning bolts and murdered you instantly. Lots of other modifiers were super weak.

At release, uniques couldn't drop if they were already in the game. You could use this to force every unique ring to be an soj. Also, gambling odds were really, really good until they nerfed them due to multiplayer.

Classic as it stands in the current patch is very different because almost all expansion changes trickled down into it except for the new content of expansion (well, with hacks you can go to a5 in classic).

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

THE BAR posted:

I do remember being able to gamble for uniques, specifically those awful Hotspur boots from Alkor, which I'm not sure I've ever seen drop.

Is it even possible to roll for uniques in LoD? I don't recall ever being able to, instead burning all cash on coronets.
It's 0.05% (1/2000) for a unique. Definitely doable, and for a while the item selling sites used a gold dupe to just gamble uniques endlessly in expansion with bots.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 14, 2018