Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

FalloutGod posted:

This is totally :tinfoilhat: but I bet 20 bucks someone on the inside gets kickbacks secretly working with d2 item sellers.

The assumption years ago was that most of the people making bank selling runes were devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
At this point it would also have to be better than Path of Exiles because they did p much exactly that and have made that D2 sequel money that was waiting to be scooped up.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Are there any mods that, among other things, rebalance rune drop rates to the extent that you can actually use the more interesting runewords without having to do 15,000 kurast runs?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I've been playing d2 again and yeah you're just getting the downloader.

I highly recommend playing plugy or slashdiablo if you want a somewhat improved experience. Both are easy to get going.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Diablo 2 is going through something of a resurgence if only because it's a strangely popular game for speedrunning

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Zogo posted:

MrLlamaSC doing 8+ hour speedruns of characters to beat the entire game just look tortuous and torturous.

It's the same reason I find old NES game speedruns interesting as information is being shared and the hive mind keeps finding ways to improve/optimize things.

I think most of them are in the neighborhood of an hour or two?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Im_Special posted:

Is the remaster even confirmed? Wasn't it debunked with that Tony Hawk game?

There's almost definitely going to be a remaster if there's anyone competent still at blizz. Both to build hype, as a way to offset the diablo immortal resentment (which they still plan to release this year) and because it's the 20th anniversary of D2.

So if it was going to happen, it would be now.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Khorne posted:

A D2 remaster has unbelievably massive hurdles. They apparently lost original assets, the network code is going to be wc3 x 1000 in terms of effort required to clean up and bnet2.0ize it - even the single player uses the multiplayer server:client structure, the rendering engine's best form is glide, and a proper d2 remaster would require significant changes to netcode to clean up massive desyncs.

I'd love if they just released an "HD" client as a remaster that was interchangeable with the old client. Something even more basic than sc:r. That's the only way I could see a d2 remaster by modern Blizzard working.

Yeah I can't imagine that they would try anything super ambitious, but literally just rereleasing it with somewhat better textures, the ability to use larger resolutions than 800x600 and leaving basically everything else the same would honestly be enough to make most people happy to shell out 20 or 30 bucks for it again. If they could find a way to get it running at something other than 25fps without breaking the gameplay all the better. For the number of issues d2 legitimately has, most of the big ones are probably too systems-level to really undertake fixing.

Imo if they could take one lesson from the WC3 remaster it would be to take each individual component they want to change and ask 'does this add enjoyment to the game?' because like 95% of the poo poo that was changed in WC3R were things that weren't really making the game more fun for anyone.

loving with gameplay changes is a huge minefield as they clearly had a formula that worked really well. The itemization in D2 is legitimately pretty amazing, especially for it's time, but he one glaring thing that needs an official fix is high rune drop rates, but outside of that, it remains as playable for someone playing offline as someone playing online.

I really hope that if it happens it gets the bare minimum treatment

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 20, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I don't disagree with that, but that's a pretty alarmingly big undertaking to try to fix all that stuff.

The stats definitely should be available in different places (albeit at that point you're basically remaking the d2's item system into POE's item system, which while not a bad thing, idk if that's a direction to take d2). Other than some weird ways that character power plateaus, you progress in character strength at a pretty good, consistent but non-linear way. This is where the zone levels really shine because you always have several sources of new, better equipment (to bump yourself up to the next tier of power, eg farming nightmare meph to get some good early-endgame uniques that will pretty quickly get you up to farming hell mode Pit or Ancient Tunnels for legit endgame gear.

Both early and late game probably too much power is in rune words. Ofc the problem there is that end game ones are obviously virtually impossible to get and the early game ones are pretty fuckin esoteric to even know about or come down to rng to aquire if you aren't already aware of countess runs for low rune farming.

Still, I think all these things work pretty drat well together and it requires a real amount of game knowledge to get to the point where you can roll a new character and make it through the acts quickly.

I suspect a lot of the meaningful way that D2 maintained peoples' interest so intently was that you always are alternating between more carefully pushing some harder content and then retreating back and blitzing 50 rhadamants or pindleskins or whatever for some upgrades and there were always some different options for how to get various upgrades. That said, once the game hit the point where you're just trying to get a chance at a better roll on some extremely rare unique, yeah that's dumb, but that's also the sign it's time to play a new build or whatever.

Also I really don't know how you upgrade D2s item system without it seemingly extremely derivative of POE. GGG intentionally designed their item system to be extremely similar to D2 except with a bit more of an eye about having non-unique items end up at a comparable strength or value as unique items. They had essentially the same concern with D2s loot and addressed it in a way that basically has kept that balance well for a long time.

I'll shutup now, I have a lot of thoughts about D2 because it's one of the deeper games I've played. It somehow manages to be both a simple dungeon crawler that a 10 year old can figure out how to play, while also being a game with a huge amount of depth and complexity that I am still learning new things about.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 20, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Fried Watermelon posted:

Remaster predictions:

No more single player offline
Access to original D2 game is removed
No more Open Battle.Net
Optional remastered graphics for purchase - done by the team who did WC3 Remaster
Real Money Auction Hall - need to convert money to blizz bucks first then purchase diablo dollars - transaction fees on currency conversion and purchasing items, no withdrawing

They already did all this, that was diablo 3

e: phone post bugged tf out

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 20, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i used to prefer online, but last time I played a bunch of D2 was singleplayer and using plugy for the qol and added stash space and i don't think I could ever play online again. The game works really well self-found and the progress feels a lot more tangible.

tbf though, i do really, really hate muling and will do anything to avoid it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I get like 100 ping minimum to slash diablo or I would've played a ton of it. I need to try path of diablo at some point though, hopefully i can get some non-miserable latency

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
high runes are farmed by opening one specific chest (sometimes 2 spawn) on lower kurast near the campfire that has like a 10,000x higher chance of dropping high runes. if you just do 10,000 lower kurast runes you'll get a few high runes.

here's a vid of a guy who did 10k kurast runs (0 bers, btw)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfzUMPtxQNw

It sucks how much of d2 is locked behind needing high runes because vanilla d2 would be an almost perfect game without that poo poo

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 7, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah it's real. They're super chests and they pull from a table of different possible chest content combinations that include some high runes. They're still extraordinarily rare, but they're vastly more likely there than from any other place in the game outside of hell hellforge

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I did grail to ~70?% percent completion or so and I dropped a bunch of mid-high runes, but the top 2 or 3 high runes are almost impossible to find outside of really insane time investments. There are a lot of people with thousands of hours who have never dropped a ber.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It appears the community is basically remastering D2 in real time and is probably going to have a better and more complete product than whatever blizzard ends up releasing.

basically they're going to have to really knock it out of the park if they want to compare favorably to what people are doing for free.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 14, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah plugy d2 solves 90% of my issues with d2 outside of the non-existent high runes.

Vakal posted:

Are you referring to this video? If so I think that is just an upscaled video of recorded gameplay and not something the game engine is capable of doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxSRAhp6TYg&t=750s

partly, but i was referring more to the D2 modding scene as a whole.

I've been playing Median XL lately and it in particular is probably one of the most impressive semi-overhauls of a game i've ever played. It's still very much D2 but they added a crafting system and an endgame to D2 (including a ton of new zones and skills), both of which are quite well done

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 15, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Median in particular is apparently about 100k additional lines of code and is impressively polished and not buggy. I'd be surprised if there is much at all beyond their ability to alter.

The lower defense while running thing I assume is meant to make you easier to stun/put into hit recovery while running so you can't just run past the entire game. It also makes positioning have higher stakes. At least for those reasons I can see why it's left in

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Ineptitude posted:

Where are the good sources of information for Median XL?

Im reading the bowzon guide on their forum and theres quite a lot of unexplained info.

E.g. it states to craft a reflex bow. When googling median xl crafting there is a cube recipe list but no mention of crafting items (crafted items are items with orange text right?)

In the milestones section it states
"Get Cain armor and all the early game runewords in act1.
"el" armor | "nef" staff | "eth" belt | "ith" boots | "ral" helm | "tal" reflex bow (gamble bow base at lvl 17 → oil of renewal → jewel for socket)."

What is "Cain armor"?
Why should i get cain armor if i should also get "("el" armor)" ?
Why would i want a nef staff if i am a bowzon?
Are all these runewords, e.g. i need a grey item, or do i put these runes in any item with a socket?

Median xl forums have a huge amount of info, their wiki is also good and there are some decent youtube videos. Also one of the bowazon guides is insanely in depth about everything and is pretty much a full guide to median xl in it's own right.

https://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=54212 2nd post on there is where all the detail is

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Median xl is honestly good enough to be its own stand-alone game and imo if they'd realized how much they were going to actually end up overhauling d2 in advance it probably straight up would be a standalone.

Also the charm endgame is a cool way of handling player power growth beyond just farming the same items for better rolls or some POE type randomized crafting. Plus the deterministic crafting system is all around pretty drat good.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 26, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Yeah median's rate of progression is pretty impressive at how smooth it is overall.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
d2 is hard capped to like 30fps because all the animations are 30fps sprites. Supposedly this was one of the holdups for a d2 remaster because apparently the ability to extract sprites from the assets and to either procedurally or manually create interstitial frames is beyond the ability of small indie games companies.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
looks like mobile game art now, imo

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Khorne posted:

If you aren't committed to 1.14d and are willing to play 1.13c, slashdiablo's launcher can auto patch down, apply hd mod, and comes with a maphack+loot filter if you want it. I don't believe 1.14d actually does anything if you're playing single player. I'm not sure how plugy support is in 1.13c.

If you are committed to 1.14d you can just play in 4:3 but bigger: you can play fullscreen which is awkward, you can double click the window title I think, you can use glide wrapper which will cause your mouse cursor to jump when you open/close windows, you can use autohotkey to resize the window (best option imo, I'll post the script I use if anyone wants - it adjusts mouse sens when tabbed into d2 to match desktop, can lock mouse to window, and auto resizes d2 windows to a set resolution. also lets you hotkey specific d2 windows if you're a giant nerd), you can play in a virtual machine (not a good option anymore because virtualbox devs broke the sound driver and the working old version doesn't work on windows 10 since last summer).

Other good options are playing ProjectD2 or Path of Diablo. Both are like second expansions rather than total conversions. Despite the latter's name, it's not like PoE it just steals a few things.

It's interesting how you can see bits of path of exile in each of the big d2 mods, but it's almost always just fun little gameplay bits and not all the 5,000,000 bits of poe bloat you get with actual poe.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

barge posted:

The character silhouettes look a lot less distinct and the little details they threw in don't help much. They'll probably look cool in cutscenes or w/e but in the game the more cartoony original designs make a lot more sense to me in a game like diablo where you're zoomed way out

this brings up a good point, why isn't there a unitard or singlet for the barbarian to wear

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
diablo 3 has been out on console forever and by all accounts may actually be the superior form of diablo 3

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

I am definitely going to take a stroll down the nostalgia road on D2R with some friends this fall, but I do wonder what they'll do about stuff like high rune drop rates.

Presumably there will be a lot less botting and duping now, but those two things made a whole host of stuff exist in the ladder economy what otherwise wouldn't in any appreciable numbers.

I suspect they'll end up buffing drop rates in a later ladder season after people come back and complain they played 40 hours a week for 3 months and never saw a Ber all season.

I also wonder how much playing a single season of PoE will have ruined D2 trading for me.

i mean it can't be worse than trading in poe

Khorne posted:

The high rune drop rate is significantly higher now than it was a while ago. I forgot the exact patch it changed but it was one of the 1.13 patches.

They're still really low. 1/1000 to 1/1500 chaos runs for a specific rune. But it is significantly higher than it used to be. Most high runes are closer to how Um was in 1.09/1.10. You're likely to see one drop if you play.

I did ~75% of a grail and in that time found quite a few mid/high runes. Not enough to make any of the actually gg runewords, but yeah they definitely do drop. I think I only saw one of the 5 highest or so runes. They're definitely a lot less rare, but they're still completely impractical to ever self-farm like an enigma unless you have literally a thousand plus hours to play and don't mind incredibly tedious farming.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 18, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah there's youtube videos of people doing thousands of lower kurast runs for runes and still only getting a handful of high runes over 10k runs

the drop rate on high runes is just fundamentally impractically low

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

WITCHCRAFT posted:

It has been confirmed by a news site that D2:R will have ladder runewords available in non-ladder game modes

They got a lot more to answer for and I don't think they can address everything else before launch, but at least it's something.

on the one hand lol that they're almost up to the functionality of plugy

on the other hand, updating the base game to the functionality of plug would legit be a huge improvement and unironically almost a best case scenario

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
idk about project d2, but other mods have doubled or more the width of the entire maggot lair and it still feels claustrophobic, but it doesn't literally break pathing/ai etc.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Honestly I expect it will have a ladder cuz that's clearly one of the like 3 things they need for the game to not flop and even speaking as a cynic I don't think they'd be that dumb. But every day it is not in after release is like a 50% lower chance it ever gets a ladder.

That said, latest thing I've heard officially is no ladder on release, plans for one to be announced after release/ "soon"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

crondaily posted:

I'd imagine they'll hold off on ladder till they get multiplayer "burned in." This way the first D2:R ladder won't be met with tons of whiners.

Every hour the ladder isn't out is another hour bot makers have to get bots running on it. It's already inevitably going to be a botfest after the first week and most of the existing d2 meta is largely built around botting.

IMO they need to get a ladder up as soon as humanly possible, like within a day or two of launch or that ship will have basically sailed. Remasters don't typically have legs past a week or two beyond the people who were already playing.

alg posted:

They don't want the ladder to be affected by stability issues or bugs at launch, it's probably not that they need more time.

Giving them full benefit of the doubt: they're worried about unintended exploits and especially duping and will be hoping that any potential exploits are found and reported in the first day or two. Particularly since D2R's battle.net reworks have already introduced new duping methods that came to light during the betas.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 15, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
lol it's not 'basically a ladder' when you don't have the singular thing that makes it a ladder: an actual ladder

To be clear: the reason why people are concerned or skeptical here is because wc3 released with a similar promise 'no ladder on launch, will be added in the days following release'

Two years later wc3 still does not have a ladder.

It's also concerning because it's a feature that d2 had that apparently is somehow disappearing from d2r, which blizzard had suggested would not be happening again after the wc3r debacle.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 15, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Appears to be a mockup and I see no new other new info in that, the article is mostly just recapping what a ladder is in current d2? The D2 lead said 'We want to make sure the game is stable and ready for ladder before we turn that on. So it won't be there for launch but will come shortly after once everything settles down' which is all that is out there about a d2r ladder afaik.

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm think it'll go one two ways. First one's a complete tire fire where they put out the game then do nothing after. No ladder resets or seasons or anything to keep it fresh. Most of us burn out in a couple months and never come back. Then D4 comes out in 2031.

Other way is just routine resets. Maybe we'll get fixes or new stuff but not likely. Ideally, they'd do the d3 model and spice things up with seasonal gimmicks. D2s a lot slower so resets should be further apart. At least as a filthy casual gamer dad I'd appreciate the d3 seasonal model.

Yeah best case is you get something basically like scbw:r, which was a solid remaster (albeit they have stopped updating the ladder on that for pretty much all of 2021). Still a year or two of support and seasons would be enough to please pretty much everyone. My earnest impression is that the people working on it very much want it to be this. Worst case, you get the wc3r experience where the team is making promises to keep improving it up to the day of release and then the people who worked on it get fired and the entire team is disbanded a couple weeks later.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 15, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
High runes remain incredibly hard to reliably get your hands on via drops and you can play the game full time for literally months without getting a ber drop. gradenko is correct that the current state of things is that you will eventually see a high rune or two if you play a lot, as opposed to previously where you would have to farm for a couple of years like it was literally a job to get multiple legit high rune drops.

Lowkey changing high rune drop rates into something not-insane is like top 3 in my list of 'changes to make d2 a great stand alone game' and despite some rumblings that the d2r teams were at least aware of it, I've heard nothing concrete about it.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 15, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

MrSargent posted:

From what I have read, Diablo 2 Resurrected is primarily being worked on by Vicarious Visions (under Blizzard) and are not the same group that did the WC3 remaster. Vicarious also did the Tony Hawk Pro Skater remake which was really well done. I get the concern based on how lovely the WC3 remake was but I have a bit more confidence in this group to make sure D2R is done right.

I am not too concerned about ladder not being available on day one. But I think they should have at least given us a target date for when ladder would be released. I think that would have been the right move to address concerns people have based on WC3.

Most of it was done by the d4 team actually, VV was only brought in relatively recently. I'm guessing that most of what we have seen (eg the act 1/2 and new character art and so on) is stuff the d4 team worked on. Presumably act 3/4 and the remaining characters are all VV.

and yeah it can't be the wc3 team, they were disbanded and fired/restructured lol

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Who cares about drop rates, I want to ask the important/probably answered questions like is loot instanced or are we all gonna wipe again on Duriel because we stopped attacking and are clicking the ground? Drop rates don't matter when the bots get all the good stuff.

Can friendships still be ruined or did they patch it out?

i know i'm critical of a lot, but og d2 looting where you might just yoink some poo poo out from under a soon-to-be-former friend is unironically a huge plus

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 15, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

One thing I miss about D2 not having smart-loot, is finding a cool piece for another class and thinking “oooohhh, I should play a whatever because a dope whatever weapon just dropped.” You can’t still do that in D3, but it’s few and far between.

Right before my plugy save imploded I'd dropped a rib cracker and was all excited to make a druid cuz of it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Did they fix the Andy quest drop every time bug? I could see people getting mad about that one too.

I believe this was deliberately going unfixed.

bawfuls posted:

It is so odd which bugs this dev team has decided to fix and which they haven't. there must be something about NHAM that makes it harder to fix and they're just using "Original Game Experience" as an excuse not to fix it.

Yeah some are a lot harder to fix, like many orders of magnitude harder.

Also they're on an executive-declared release deadline, so exactly as many random long-time bugs will get fixed as they think they can spare time for. Frankly them sparing time for any old bugs at this point is a good sign wrt how much of the game is actually done.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 16, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It's a common term, pretty much any game where you can reroll as a fresh character people use the term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
4os monarch is as rare as almost any rune

e: meant jmod

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 18, 2021