Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm in the "Love him, but I don't have HBO" crowd. I expect they'll put some clips on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's like The Daily Show, but with a more energetic anchor, a more worldly perspective, no commercials, and no guests shilling their movie/book.

:allears:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Bown posted:

Wait, really? A large amount of the clips I've seen of Stewart have him yelling his rear end off. Has he calmed down in his old age?
Stewart's still great, but Oliver's run on The Daily Show was a breath of fresh air.

Stewart sometimes uses the persona of someone who is fed up with bullshit, but totally expects it and is almost bored with it. Maybe it's just an evolution of his persona after doing it for nearly 15 years now. Oliver's comedy brings a renewed sense of WTF urgency... that is hosed up.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There are not many smart people with a science background who are good on camera. It's pretty much him and Neil deGrasse Tyson. Even ones who aren't incompetent on TV are just a bunch of "some guy"s. I recall there were plenty of scientists who aren't Bill or NDT on The Daily Show or Colbert shilling their books, but I can't remember what many of them actually said.

People under 22 or over 35 might not care that Bill once had a popular PBS program, but he has a good screen presence and persona that can still get through to people who are listening.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 15, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Bill Maher is an Islamophobe and an anti-vaxer.

With John Oliver, HBO subscribers don't have to pretend to like Bill Maher anymore.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Now the NSA can legally brand themselves as the "Washington Redskins".

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I liked the coffeemaker joke. :shobon:

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Woke up this morning saying to myself, "No way in hell am I going to see a break-dancing Abe Lincoln. Hell no."

You've done it again, John.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I found the plane!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
When I see people try to argue that Stewart, Oliver, and Colbert need to "admit" they serve a news reporting function or "admit" they are political actors, etc.; it often speaks more of the people raising their problem with satirists than it actually does on the satirists themselves. Like Dave Chappelle, they communicate from a political POV, but that communication is satire. Dave Chappelle doesn't consider himself a reporter or an activist either.

Let's say they actually proclaim themselves as activists... what happens next? I think many liberals and progressives overestimate the general popularity of Stewart, Colbert, and Oliver with general audiences. Some people would like to believe it will further legitimize certain contested political positions, but it really won't happen like that. Their satire as it is communicates a point really well.

We rarely see liberals lament that Neil deGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye from avoiding taking the additional steps beyond explaining the science of evolution and global warming. We don't see people calling them hypocrites or cowards for not flat-out endorsing political candidates that would fight global warming or whatnot; because the political implications of what they say are quite clear as it.

Jimmy Fallon allowed Chris Christie to bury his scandal by dancing with him in some lovely skit. But he gets a pass because his so-called comedy never had any passion to begin with, even though The Tonight Show's reach is much wider.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
People are actually using Tucker Carlson's gripe (Jon Stewart softballing John Kerry from ten years ago) as the best example of Stewart using the comedy safety net to dodge accusations of spineless journalism. People are acting as if his work isn't scrutinized anyway.

Can someone not understand that if a comedian takes pride in their craft, why it could be considered insulting for people to say "It's not comedy... it's actually a news show... and it's a lovely news show."

Also last night's episode was fantastic... because it was funny.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Bass Bottles posted:

I don't think people want Jon Stewart or John Oliver to change anything about what they do, there's just this annoying trend where professional comedians aggressively deny the idea that their jokes influence people. We get it, your primary goal is to be funny, but if I think your jokes are actively causing harm to society then I will not let it slide just because they're "just jokes."
But here's the thing: Nobody here accused John Oliver of causing harm recently. All he did was make that "I'm not a journalist" disclaimer and that triggered some frustration in goons to complain.

I noticed when Colbert danced around Henry Kissinger during his Get Lucky skit, nobody in the Stewart/Colbert thread asked if Colbert danced with a war criminal. It was just well received. (I enjoyed the bit too.) But had Colbert clarified shortly after that he did it because he was a comedian, that technicality would have caused a derail for a page or two. Which leaves me to believe there's broader cultural frustration that some progressives have when comedians (or other cultural figures typically not seen as politicians or pundits) try to not typecast themselves within the narrowly-defined political culture war. Even when Stewart and Colbert did that rally (which was the most activist-ish thing they did), people accused Stewart of making false equivalencies, when he was trying to tackle a broader issue of how politics were framed poorly in the media.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Glad Oliver actually clarified "Yo seriously, gently caress Mountain Dew. It's disgusting." because the advertisers don't mind tongue-in-cheek product placement that gives its stupid wink wink, nod nod.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
If only someone talked about the Gaza conflict.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Okay, it was bound to happen. That was the first celebrity cameo I wasn't thrilled with.

They should have gotten a daytime talk or game show host.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
You would say those 60 Minutes montages were amazing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

PassTheRemote posted:

so Obi-Wan Kenobi was just doing his 60 Minutes impression?
Obi-Wan Kenobi was doing his 60 Minutes impression.

I'll stop now.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

hemophilia posted:

What the gently caress is going on with that Cuba ban? It's seemed unnecessary and unjustifiable for what seems like the majority of the time in which I've been alive.
Florida is a swing state.

Also, I broked the rule of "don't read comments" when it came to their YouTube upload of the Miss America bit. It's 95% /r/mensrights :sigh:

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

hcreight posted:

It seems to still be in place for no other reason than Cuba is still a politically radioactive subject for some people. In theory Obama could tackle it next year once he's officially reached lame duck status but I'm not holding my breath.
Let's not forget the last Democrat's lame duck period, when Clinton "gave" Elián González back to Cuba; which ended being one of the thousands of attributed reasons why Gore barely lost Florida. Even if it's not true, the whole "Gore lost because angry anti-Castro Cubans" meme became a potent one in a swing state that sadly still sways too much power in national politics and policy.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I think many Americans in high school had at least one of her books assigned for English class.

Mine was "Anthem", and I knew even then it was a lovely book. And I wasn't a hard person to impress.

Things considered, it's probably better off that people learn about her in high school so they can figure out on their own it's poo poo before their "freshmen political science major" phase in college. I often get the impression the biggest Randtards were people who were never exposed to her poo poo and suddenly just discovered her in college.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That Columbus bit reminded me of Hari Kondabolu's Totally Biased rant. But Kondabolu instead suggested Joe DiMaggio as an alternative. It was still alright. The more people casually pointing out that we have no real reason for Columbus Day, the better.

That Law & Order sketch does make me think (but not for the first time) what role cop shows play in legitimizing law enforcement with sympathetic characters. With all the stories (and statistics) of cops using excessive force and generally abusing their power, it'd be nice to have a network show portray cops in a more complicated light.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Oliver may be refreshingly more forceful, but let's not overstate the impact of the show. Miss America will still be around for years. Telecom companies still have the upper hand with lobbyists and access to the government. People are still buying snake oil vitamins. And those geckos are dead.

There's room for more than one current events comedy show, and Stewart's McConnell impression still makes me laugh without making me imagine the image of an old man's penis.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Nooooooooo Asian dude from Mythbusters I thought you were cool. :(

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Actually I understand him taking a paycheck from MickeyDs but his career seems weird. He has free time(?) to appear in Star Trek fanfilms for some reason; or does he get a paycheck from that because of crowdfunds? I always thought he's a guy who could settle for some job hosting a science/engineering news show for PBS or something else "celebrity geek"-related.

So any dog SCOTUS edits yet?

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 20, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Google's not giving me anything. Can someone post pictures of the Sexy John Oliver, Sexy Louis CK, and whatever other sexy comedian costumes are in the series? I need the confusing nightmare fuel.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
And I was under the impression that George Takei was already a sex symbol.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That Home Depot ad was amazing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
If the goal of that lottery bit was to get me to stop playing; I guess I'll admit it isn't working.

I know the odds and the prizes don't match up. It's heavily stacked against the favor of players. It's pretty much a money vacuum. But I romanticize the idea of a golden ticket and I already know I'm not going to be the next Mark Cuban or Mark Zuckerberg. I never justified it with education. I'm willing to suffer the misery of losing a few bucks a week over the lotto for the impossible chance of living the misery of a lottery winner.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I watched the Miss America bit maybe 5 or 6 times now, and it's still amazing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm glad The Onion's actors are still finding work.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The absurdity of the anti-vax movement has been covered by Jon Stewart and Larry Wilmore to mixed degrees of success. (Larry called anti-vaxxers crazy in his monologue, but sadly still had an insufferable concern troll anti-vaxxer as a panelist.)

But I would still want to see Oliver explicitly tackle the subject anyway; given he finds a fresh angle that somehow makes anti-vaxxer look even worse in ways I haven't even considered yet. Also he should do it just as a passive aggressive dig at his HBO colleague who's still batshit ignorant about modern medicine.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I typically don't follow Greek or European politics, but I was following the recent Greek election sort of just because it was fascinating how it splintered towards the more "extreme" parties partly because of the backlash against austerity. I won't defend the dude's fashion sense, but there was some political theatre with it. The ruling party "Coalition of the Radical Left" won out, and they've been trying to posture themselves as not the typical pro-austerity center-leftists of recent years or the old-timey Cold War-era communists. They've been trying to play up the political angle of the resurgence of the populist left that lines up with the politics of the "young freshmen political science major" douchebags you knew from college. So it's not surprising that many of the government officials are dressing like they're 20 or 30 years younger than their actual age.

Or maybe I'm just bullshitting that explanation because I really don't know anything about Greek politics.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
It's as if John Oliver has a "comedy" background and likes telling these "jokes".

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I know opinion on the idea of statehood is still divided in Puerto Rico, but is it just as unpopular in Guam, AS, NMI, and USVI?

Statehood seems like the easiest way to do it, but there's still a lot of political challenges. Just look at DC.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Wait so Bernie Goldberg actually still does reporting beyond complaining how the liberal media is obsessed with race?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So was that tortoise lonely or just kinky?

The surveillance debate is probably one of those few things where I find it okay to say "let's have a conversation about _____" precisely because it hasn't been consistently vetted by the public and doesn't register at all on people's daily political radar.

Sadly, I don't see anything changing.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Daily Beast: "John Oliver Makes Edward Snowden Squirm on Last Week Tonight"

Is that what they really got out of that segment and interview?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm wondering why some people watched the interview and somehow took from it that it made Snowden look bad.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'd so watch a longer Humanity Blooper Reel that cuts back and forth between war atrocities and people getting injured on YouTube.

Edit: Here's a gif. I wanted a gif.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Mark Wahlberg: One of those 90s problems we're still very much dealing with

• Locked thread