Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

coyo7e posted:

I dunno, Sam Bee kills him on viral clip-shares according to my social media feed.

Anecdotally, I don't think I've ever seen a Samantha Bee clip and my 1,000+ friends are all super duper liberal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

MasterSitsu posted:

I made a zebra video because I would like to be on the tee vee box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xQAP_lwn0Q

They Should Have Sent A Poet

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

basic hitler posted:

Earlier ITT, someone made the assertion that young leftists drank some sort of koolaid that magically made them hate the democratic party and it went unchallenged. But I sincerely wonder what mythical sugary drink one would have to chug, what drugs you would need to spike it with, to somehow mentally ignore every good reason the various elements of the obama coalition that didnt back Hillary had by the time November rolled around. The sins of that campaign resulted in many opting to either stay home, or otherwise telegraph to a failing center-right democratic party that they are no longer worth the tacit support of just anyone left of center.

You don't even have to like the fact that some people dont feel a debt to democrats or anyone under the coalition when their needs are utterly failing to be met, but you'd better mentally prepare yourself for the same thing happening in 2020 if you're not even prepared to admit that Clinton's loss rests squarely on the shoulders of her campaign and their incredibly lovely, alienating behavior.

Begging the liberal funnymen to help you laugh about this without learning the lesson is gonna leave you dissatisfied. I don't think john oliver, funny as he is, can save you from the inevitable need for introspection about what happened and the price we're all paying because of it.

So maybe I'm not getting what you're saying but as the winner of the popular vote can't we infer that her campaign wasn't at fault, our arcane electoral college system is? Like Hilary won, but then Trump got it due to slipshod mechanics from 100 years ago that haven't mattered since before women & minorities could vote.

I feel like 'Apathy' is the reason Trump won, not Hillary's lizard person persona. This election was such a farce from the get go it just never seemed real.

I'm HAPPY to be wrong, just curious about your position. I only hang in the Trump LoLs thread, I'm not tough enough for D&D

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This was the scariest episode of this show. The idea that J-Kush is basically the lynchpin of MAGA but has, uh, no skills, is craaaaaaazy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I never understood the "Hillary is just as bad, Dems are just as bad" (I'm an independent) because so any of the republican positions I take issue with are so clearly grounded in xenophobia and religious discrimination and loving morality politics.

Like yes, obviously without question, dems suck lobbyist dill as hard as the republicans, but they aren't actively working against civil rights and healthcare and freedom of speech, they are just insanely bad at allocating and managing money, ethically.

That's why when comedies do political bits, republicans are painted in broad strokes and democratic sketches are almost universally character based, focusing on very specific people and events. A broad strokes republican is funny "I love the death penalty and Jesus and hate abortion and Gun Control" but trying to hit key democratic stereotypes just makes someone sound, like kind of reasonable to most people "I like healthcare and letting gay people interracial marry their immigrant spouse and don't wan't poor kids to starve to death".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dante80 posted:

As someone that doesn't really know anything about Pence, why is that?

Here's a Reddit thread that documents the various ways in which he was a terrible governor and all around croneyistic lizard man. It helped me shed light on why it's not just as easy as telling Trump to take a long walk off a short pier

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I remember when Dick Cheney shot his friend in the face and made his friend apologize and was like "yo dats p gangster, but also this is the end of political integrity, it really can't get worse."

LoL

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 6, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Based purely on photo selected I wonder which way the slant is

(Oliver comes off looking antagonistic, though Hoffman I think plays the “it’s not what happened” card which is universally wrong)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Is comedy really such a boys club that nobody watches Samantha Bee, or is she just too dry for American audiences? I thought she was funny, but she’s slanting to this angry-alt left thing where she’s just raging 24/7 and I don’t understand if she has a style/angle or if she just got broken by our society.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

McDragon posted:

Caught my first episode of this yesterday. It's pretty great, think I'll start watching it from now on.

Their YouTube channel has like 12 hours of really good content if you want to catch up, educate yourself, and get some yuks in.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'd be amazed if this show weren't honestly their cheapest production.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In America this past week a handful of major retailers implemented new policies for the sale of firearms to post-minors (18-20) and the resultant backlash has been states writing laws saying that small municipalities can’t enact any firearm laws stricter than the state they are in and a 20 year is suing one of them because of his rights.

This segment was amazing to me because I couldn’t fathom some jacked up dude gettin flair to RP his favorite shoot-outs in movies but mega loooooool to that!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Genuinely surprised he didn’t have room for Mt. Gox in his 25 minute segment.

This is the first time I’ve ever been genuinely disappointed in his work, but it’s also the first time where I probably know more about it than he does.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Focus on the Family contributes to the hatespeech and demonization that causes homosexual teens to kill themselves, is that really worth stomaching to play nice and put aside our differences to you?

To put this another way, what if, instead of Focus of the Family, it was the Westboro Baptist Church and all their charity money was going to help build a skill in Africa. Is that a good cause? SURE! Are the people hosting that cause a pile of hateful assholes that make the world a worse place?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Servaetes posted:

Marlon Bundo is a pretty good name for a rabbit, regardless of the source

the bottom line here folks

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There is no way there isn't an extremely high ranking member of Scientology on the board of HBO.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Listening to the cartoonishly corrupt buffoonery of another countries government is an incredibly quaint feeling for me now. I spent the whole time like “that’s adorable”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As long as drug abuse and alcohol addiction are seen as dirty problems we will never ever seen any meaningful regulation because he president can literally pitch a “don’t do drugs mmkay” ideaology and everyone acts like that’s a real option.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A big part of this is the sense of scale which I think westerners cant really fathom.

Try to imagine if Donald Trump were president of Canada, the United States, and all of South America at once... then declared himself leader for life... and then censored anyone who made fun of him or pointed it out.

Literally 1/5th of the population of the EARTH... under one man’s despotic rule.

You really can not compare them, it’s not apples and oranges, it’s an orange vs an apple tree

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s literally the gene splicing episode of Batman Beyond...

Oh poo poo it’s actually Bioshock

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Cilantro is a glitch in the matrix to prove who is cool and who cannot eat cilantro

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would splice my genes for animal parts and mutant abilities immediately and without hesitation and welcome the inevitable health risks

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LOL if you could just inject something to cure yourself of genetic mental health issues like Bipolar or Schizo-effective that would be loving nuts

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What about stuff like a black couple wanting their child to have lighter skin tones than they do so their kid has to deal with less colorism or racism?

The volume of ethical quandaries is staggering

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’d CRISPR my enemies so they just lose the genes that let them cum.

Like whoops I bump into you at the mall, now you can’t ever have an orgasm until someone cleaned your genes.

Whoops, you took too long at the gas station, *poke* now your lactose intolerant/color blind/ sickle cel

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Once my girlfriend at the time applied for a job in an office and passed the interview. I dropped her off on her first day and made it like an hour back into the city before she called me crying to say to come pick her up.

Apparently the last secretary quit because the IT guy kept saying creepy poo poo to her and she complained and they told her to scram. Well, as the manager went around introducing her to everyone, the IT guy apparently pulled the manager aside and said “Nope, too pretty, I’m worried the same thing will happen.” so they told my girlfriend, whom they had just hired, that it wasn’t going to work out.

This was 2013-2014, I was 25, she was 27, and we were living in a 1-room studio apartment with a dog and a cat off of my meager $650 a week. We knew it was hosed up, we knew it was unfair, and we felt like we had absolutely no recourse. We couldn’t wrap our heads around firing the women for being pretty and not firing the IT director for being a huge creep, but that they were so plaintive about it, just “Yeah Mark is just concerned you’ll be a distraction in the workplace, sorry for your time.”

Here’s an important question to ask yourself for any interaction with another employee: “Would act/behave/talk this way if my EMPLOYER were in the room observing? If the answer is NO, don’t act that way even if they aren’t around and maybe save it for the bar after work. Even if you have feelings/affection/attraction to a co-worker, THE WORKPLACE is the absolute worst place to express those feelings. If you want a private moment to discuss those things, invite them out for a drink or a meal. If they decline, guess what, you just saved yourself from a potentially volatile work environment!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s unreasonable to put a hard and fast “don’t date at work” thing up because for many people your social sphere can’t help but contain Work people. If you work a lot, or your hours are lovely you have no choice if you want human interaction. My roommates both work in restaurants. If your working until 1-2-AM 3-5 nights a week, when exactly are you supposed to meet someone outside of the service industry, especially in a small town?

If you have a corporate 9-5 and you go home across town in a big city then you have opportunities to make friends and meet people outside of work. If you’re, say a teacher, a bartender, a security guard, if you work the night shift anywhere... it’s hard to meet people, and trying to meet people through apps in anything smaller than a normal sized city is frankly not an option down south.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also the company in Europe that produced something like 80% of the chemicals needed to lethally inject someone decided they were done being ghoulish murdermisers and stopped producing it, so now tons of prisons are scrambling all over the country to try and find new ways of killing inmates and surprisingly coming up short in ways to painlessly execute someone for free without leaving a gross pile of guts.

Its almost like executing people causes more problems than it solves.

Like we should just literally put all the rapists and murderes on a big island, and then all the rapists will get murdered... or all the murderers...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Veskit posted:

I got turned down on apartments for a discharging a firearm charge. It was airsoft

IRQ posted:

What like, where a cop could see?

And you're alive?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Olsen twins thing, like the bird that eats chips, is apparently funny to some but just a completely dead gag that Oliver insists on running into the ground that just floats by me without a giggle, forever.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This episode was really cool and good but I have to admit I had no idea that Brazil was the 5th largest country in the world.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve only ever heard boof referring to popping pills in your butt and I gotta tell you it sounds dumb but holy gently caress does it work. If I ever heard an adult refer to sex as boofing I’d immediately question the legitimacy of their sexual career in its entirety.

The first time I boofed something I was convinced my friends had tricked me and there was no way it really worked and I was just silly for putting an e pill in my rear end and by the time I made back from the bathroom to the bedroom I was completely loving bombed. It’s INSANE how quickly it works.

I just seriously doubt kids in 82 had good e-pills so they must have been boofing, like, qualudes or some poo poo.

Also Atomizer, it might not have been racist but you’re absolutely not using patois correctly and backing up your weird choice with Rick & Morty makes you sound like a reddit troll so maybe take a step back from defending your hella dumb turn of phrase my dawg

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Soothing Vapors posted:

If you're trying to trick me into cramming drugs up my butt tonight, I want you to know it 100% worked so congrats

Just doing God’s work bruv

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

TheBizzness posted:

Shoving E pulls up your butt is called parachuting you crazies.

Nah that’s when you take a small piece of paper or tissue or something and wrap your powder up in it and swallow it because you don’t have any gelcaps

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

What? No, that's called bombing.

Drug use is swathed in colloquialism, who knew? :shrug:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
DL Hughley has a good joke in his new special about how he doesn’t want to use Ancestry.com to find out where he’s from because he doesn’t like the idea of getting stolen and then paying a bunch of white scientists to tell him where they stole him from.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It aired...
On Comedy...
Central

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Phi230 posted:

Fascists are middle class suburbanites and other upper class people - pretty much Oliver's audience. Its pretty easy to explain why he'd refuse to tackle the causes of fascism because it would make his audience feel bad

Regardless of whatever memed-out reddit version of US geo-politics you think you understand, this is so patently false I can't really support anything else you're suggesting. Oliver's audience is poor, stoned millennials watching his segments for free on youtube. HBO foots the bill because his show is a literally endless source of good PR, he's always in the news, people on other channels talk about what he says. People watching the full program who pay for HBO are probably the slim minority of his viewers, I'm sure the youtube kickback Oliver's channel gets more than makes up for the show's production budget, which is easily less than a 10th of any of their other shows.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Phi230 posted:

bitch read a book and look at some polls and come back to me

Dude you don't even have an av i can't take u seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m sorry but I disagree with literally every single one of those, to the point where I feel like the word I’ve been using to describe myself for the last 8 years can’t possibly be the same word you are using. How is that list not just “a centrist” or rather, what is the difference between what you’ve described and a modern centrist?

• Locked thread