Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That hawk bit kinda smelled a little foul to me. Mainly because last season, John had a long segment about how those exact people who shot down the kids bill were being constantly flooded with pointless bills, and couldn't focus on the actual important issues. And one of the examples he gave in the segment was specifically about state animals, and other bills that had no affect on anything just sucking up time.

Just seems a bit like trying to play both angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

For me, every ticket I've ever gotten has a court date on it that you can show up to if you decide to contest it. If you pay right away, you don't have to worry about it at all. I don't know if that's a standard across the US though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I hadn't heard Snowden speak until that interview until that interview and he has a good speaking voice as well.

Well, if you're interested, he actually did a TED talk at one point, and it's worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVwAodrjZMY

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

sbaldrick posted:

I can understand why no one has seen this as TED talks are stupid.

Just proving John's point. Alternatively, just pretend I quoted this in response.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Because nobody gives a poo poo unless it's put forward to them in a funny engaging package that apes the entertainment they enjoy spending their leisure time on.

Otherwise it's like homework....booooooring. Change channel/stop video!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

He was probably one of those people in times square last week tonight interviewed.

The thread seems to be filling up with folks who got interviewed.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzGzB-yYKcc

Changing all my passwords immediately to Snowden's suggestion.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

John called all of that food disgustingly cheap, but for my budget, most of that seemed really expensive. Almost two bucks for a taquito? Eight bucks for a chicken? That's some pretty pricey stuff, usually if I buy meat, I stick to around 1-2 dollars a pound, assuming boneless. 80 cents per pound for bone-in stuff.

That said though, even I don't trust that sushi.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh John, you tease. :allears:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The fundamental issue is that guys like Mike Huckabee don't believe that "gender identity" is a thing separate from sex at birth because they don't understand it and it's easier to just assume it's some pervert poo poo than to actually try to learn something about other human beings. Also they apparently believe that if someone is the kind of person to assault a child in the bathroom, being told to go to the other bathroom is going to be enough to stop them. "Oh, I was GOING to rape your daughter, but I'm not allowed in the women's bathroom. Foiled again!"

I think it goes a bit further than that for folks. Basically everyone I've ever had the displeasure of meeting who had a beef with trans rights only thought of it in the sense of "what is between your legs? that's what you are, period." Stuff like what Cheshire said about hormones? They don't give that a second thought, it's entirely about one's package, and that's the be-all, end-all of it for them.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've actually been working as an analyst/number cruncher/intern/gopher for a firm for a while. It's a super small one (only three people), but we have about 300 million under management, and basically everything about this segment was a bunch of "Yep, yep, yep" from me.

Active management is a crock, we work with Dimensional, and ever since I started, every theoretical portfolio we've explored that goes beyond "buy and hold in low-cost index funds" has ended up falling apart with backtesting. Same with the fees, we've had sheets for forever that show how hard fees can break a portfolio, and going above 100 basis points (we manage at 40), really cuts performance.

I wasn't so keen on the whole "anyone can get away with saying they're an XXX" though, considering that I've spent the last year or so prepping for my Series 65 so I'm allowed to do so much as talk to clients, so idk where that came from.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Zero One posted:

There are also Registered Investment Advisors (RIAs) that have always had the fiduciary responsibility. They do not charge commissions and usually work on a fee only basis (ex: take 1% a year of assets under management or an hourly fee). These firms need to be registered with their state (or directly with the SEC if they are big enough) but advisors usually don't have a Series 7 license. They may have taken the Series 65 exam or have an exam waiver by being a CFP or one of a few other designations. These types of advisors are legally required to give you the best advice on how to invest and are sometimes also CPAs or Trust/Estate planners.

Yeah, this is what I've been working towards.

It's a special kind of hell, the Series 65. I think a while back the Series 7 was required, but no longer is, according to old-guard coworkers.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

rapeface posted:

is this a good time to bring up alternative voting systems

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/796328399744733184

No guys

It's good

This is totally not a hosed up system or anything.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Within margin of error levels, half the country was going to be pissed no matter which way the electoral college went

Even the Senate wound up only one ahead

There's hardly a way in here to find a fair, honest mandate from the masses

I'm sorry, but last I checked, the half of the country that won wouldn't be in actual physical danger had things gone the other way.

A fair, honest mandate should definitely be expected when one side winning means that I have to worry for my livelihood, and that of numerous friends and loved ones.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Can you actually spell out what that threat means? It's not the first time I've heard it by a long shot but I haven't seen a single person explain it in more than the vaguest of terms.

If you don't want to, that's alright with me, but the difficulty should tell you something.

It's complicated, but basically I know a lot of people who are fearing for their safety right now, especially since we have poo poo like the actual loving KKK having victory gatherings and poo poo.

But I mean, honestly, what's to be said at this point? All the hateful poo poo said about minority groups and LGBT communities, vehement climate change denial, the everpresent misogyny... It just goes on and on and on. After the Brexit, violent crime against minority groups spiked to an absurd degree, and I'm hoping and praying with all my heart that we don't end up with a similar situation here, but I know better.

I'm just seeing so much poo poo right now, and each little bit breaks my heart.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm trying my damnedest to not go into a full blown rage at this, but I've had friends hurt today by Trump celebrators and if you're so naive as to think this is limited to violent crime I have no idea what to say to you. There is going to be so much fallout from this, and I would not be surprised one bit if we end up effectively rolling back the last decade of human rights or more.

When you have David loving Duke coming out and saying that his people won it for Trump, yes, it is perfectly reasonable to be worried.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Shageletic posted:

EDIT: And as a black person, hell yeah I make a value judgement when someone voted Trump. Jesus Christ.

Honestly, at this point, it's probably best to start making value judgements even on people who are all 'give him a chance' or 'wait and see'. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-not-wait-trump-administration-article-1.2869073

And yes, I know it's important to not live in an echo chamber and that we need to hear other people's opinions and stuff. But listening and respecting people's opinions does not extend to poo poo like "I don't like X people". And moreover, when a man says he will forcefully deport 12 million immigrants in 2 years, has a guy who says poo poo like this working for him, when people are being subjected public hate speech, and just the act of winning emboldens flat out monsters don't tell me we don't need an organized resistance. It doesn't matter how hard he backpedals, it doesn't matter how little chance it has in happening. That poo poo cannot stand.

Supporting Trump means you support stripping a huge amount of the population of their rights and freedoms. At this point, we're in the current towards the waterfall, either you're okay with how things are going or you're frantically paddling against the tide.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/SamAdlerBell/status/798218141004427265
https://twitter.com/SamAdlerBell/status/798218921593761792
https://twitter.com/SamAdlerBell/status/798219120000913408

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

And who determines what the cutoff is, how much to take, and how much to distribute to whoever is determined to be poor?

Pretty sure that if we took every over 40 white business owner and everyone with a net worth over 1b into an industrial furnace, you could watch the whole world get better overnight. And that's before distributing their assets and shuttering tax shelters.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

There are good apples in a vat of bad apples you say?

I think that was supposed to be an unironic version of this?

https://twitter.com/crushingbort/status/463132110006784000

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I guess there's gonna be an Ontario segment now after tonight.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

You say that like we're more important than we actually are.

I mean, they had this on a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSKJqEY5EOo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

lol saying you're a social democrat and therefore can't possibly be a centrist

• Locked thread