Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Echo Chamber posted:

Oliver may be refreshingly more forceful, but let's not overstate the impact of the show. Miss America will still be around for years. Telecom companies still have the upper hand with lobbyists and access to the government. People are still buying snake oil vitamins. And those geckos are dead.

There's room for more than one current events comedy show, and Stewart's McConnell impression still makes me laugh without making me imagine the image of an old man's penis.

Yeah I don't think anyone's saying John Oliver will bring these vile institutions to their knees, it's just cool to get something different and interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

mr. unhsib posted:

Anyone else lose it at the asian daughter part of the home depot sketch? :lol:

That entire bit was hysterical.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Xoidanor posted:

I can barely even imagine the logistics that must have gone into the salmon scene.

I'm starting to think Last Week Tonight is part of an elaborate and ridiculous money laundering operation.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Pro tier trolling

While he's clearly trying to stir up poo poo, as always, dude has a point: it's only a matter of time before Israel decides they want the whole drat thing again.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
"If something is a joke on Scrubs, you know it's common knowledge."

Amazing. Welcome back, John.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SyRauk posted:

Why isn't this show over 30 minutes? You don't understand, I need a constant stream of John talking in my ears at all times.

You can always listen to old episodes of The Bugle.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

IRQ posted:

Wouldn't a homeopathic vaccine be like when everyone's moms made them go play with the kid that got chicken pox? Only with highly infectious and deadly diseases?

Sure that sounds like a wonderful idea.

No, homeopathy is something that actually does something distilled down to absolutely nothing because it's mixed with so much goddamn water that it is insignificant. The water "remembers", you see.

Homeopathy and holistic medicine often get confused, but at least holistic remedies often involve things that are actually things.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I don't know why everyone is so convinced that Oliver won't touch the whole vaccination debate (god why is this a debate). Sure, it's gotten plenty of attention in the media, but surely it could use LWT's long-form approach. I'd be surprised if John didn't talk about it at length eventually.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Much as I love Charlie Booker, he doesn't have a line in the budget for muppets.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I kind of want to play that incredibly depressing game.

I never got into the whole March Madness thing, but goddamn were most of my friends in high school into it. Now that I'm older and I've heard about the dark side of the NCAA, when they want to talk about their brackets, it's sad as well as boring.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, I know.

Realtalk: Hemophilia, you are not a pathetic loser. Rather, you are a victim of circumstances. You're poor not because you waste money on frivolous entertainments, but because "the man" is keeping you down. The police are out to get you. Politicians are out to get you. Corporations are out to get you. Don't hold any hope that your life will get better. Working hard, saving your money and taking responsibility for your life and actions as ways to get ahead are ideas the rich use to keep the poor placated. Its not worth trying to escape poverty. Just take whatever resentment you have towards the system that wronged you and drown it out with petty consumerism. You will never be more than a worthless thrall of the system, but at least you can watch HBO.

Just call it a wash until Sunday, you're obviously a bit off your game.

I laughed, though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've had him on ignore for years. I only saw that because of people quoting him and it gave me the opportunity to give me a informed reason to call him a pus filled dick.

This is why I don't bother ignoring him. I know I'll eventually be trolled into responding to him seriously so why bother hiding him away?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Gotta hand it to Oliver, he knows how to communicate with Americans.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Echo Chamber posted:

The Daily Beast: "John Oliver Makes Edward Snowden Squirm on Last Week Tonight"

Is that what they really got out of that segment and interview?

It's the best headline they got out of it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

xcore posted:

What's the obvious retort to this attitude? I come across it often and I find it very hard to rebut.

"Of course you do, you idiot."

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I used to like TED Talks until I realized they were basically saying nothing in as many words as possible.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They're generally pretty quick to post, but the issue then isn't so much the timing...but the zerg rush of *everyone* accessing the same streams at the same time. I've a feeling the first GoT episode, combined with Silicon Valley, Veep, and LWT all being new and dropping *all in a row* is going to make everyone who bought into HBO Now scream bloody loving murder come Monday. Here's hoping HBO *really* upped their bandwidth in preparation.

Oh man, new season of Veep is happening tomorrow, isn't it? Forget GoT, that's what I need to see.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

comes along bort posted:

The footage they showed looked like regular tape drives. Some of the carts might be old but that's kinda the point- they can store stuff for decades with minimal degradation and not have to worry about format compatibility 20 years in the future.

That and more often than not it's cheaper to pay a few people to maintain the older thing rather than try to migrate to a newer system.

Yeah, at best, migrating to newer tape drives would just consolidate a bunch of tape drives into fewer tape drives. Even then they'd probably still have to hold on to old machines and drives for one awful reason or another, as always happens with migration.

The IRS getting their budget slashed so that they may be sacrificed on the altar of dumbass hicks is plenty stupid, I don't know why Oliver had to go after a totally legitimate decision.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

comes along bort posted:

I doubt it was malicious, just someone working on the story saw an angle with hey look at this old stuff they still use.

Oh, totally, I just figured they would have someone on their staff who actually knows about IT with how often they talk about it on the show. Everyone knows magnetic tape isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Those Google pictures are pretty cool, too.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
John Oliver would accomplish more if they inserted a frame that read "EAT THE RICH" in a massive impact font a couple times an episode.

It is nice that he produces easily digestible segments to inform people about important issues but I wouldn't hold my breath about his show ever affecting serious change directly.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I don't know how Steve Scully can do his job without a bar under the desk.

OhYeah posted:

How come there are so many people in this otherwise great country that can't see 2 inches past their own nose?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Do they just have a guy employed on their show who only knows how to make mascot costumes?

They probably just have an art department that likes to have fun.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

OhYeah posted:

What?!

This is not loving rocket science. In order for a country not to head for a demographic collapse, you need people to make babies so that you have future workers and taxpayers. You use whatever means at your disposal to make sure no one postpones having children for financial reasons.

I'm surprised that anyone (who is not rich) decides to have children in United States, because I sure hell wouldn't under those conditions.

Stop talking to Irish Joe.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Xibanya posted:

In legal terms it would really difficult to define as a right. After all, I'm biologically capable of murder but I don't consider murder a human right. And if someone has a right to have a child, do they have a right to have two kids? Ten kids? Biologically impossible for me, but a hundred kids?

Just because it's a right doesn't mean it can't be subject to regulation, it just means that you have to be very mindful about how it's regulated. I mean, everything in the Bill of Rights is subject to some stipulation (besides the Third Amendment, but obviously that's not going to come up often).

Regardless, I think you're taking this past its logical extreme.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Xibanya posted:

Yeah but this in particular would be difficult to regulate, moreso than the fed gov't won't infringe on free speech or regulations on search and seizure; I'm sure I don't need to explain why.

Then just don't regulate it?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Shageletic posted:

Because this five page conversation has been so useful, enjoyable, and informative. People in this thread, at least the people really trying to argue, aren't interested in evidence based statements or informative bits of data. Its a total winge-fit.

People yelling at the cardboard cutout of a dumbass American whom Irish Joe impersonates is one thing, but no one knows what to do when someone actually starts agreeing.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Dreylad posted:

reddit.com/r/childfree strikes again

much like public healthcare, only in america do these beneficial programs get bat around in moral and regressive terms.

Don't worry, people are working very hard to drag other wealthy democratic nations down to our level.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

IRQ posted:

I have been assured by a very knowing Rarity of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled ...

This is America we're talking about, not Ireland. The babies will be deep fried.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Gyges posted:

Only if you're a dummy without access to a good smoker.

Well, that's up to the mother.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Please seek help, DoggPickle, or at the very least stop posting like you promised you would with a toxx.

Also shame on the guy earlier who said John Oliver needs to curb his mascot fetish, it's one of the best recurring jokes.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
American here, I don't think the rabid dogs are too bad, just have to wear gloves when I pull them off my front-mounted spike rack. Usually we just use dog plows to get around but sometimes it's best to cull the population.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Turning the bad geography gag on the US itself was great. I actually knew the time he did it before but gently caress me if I knew where Nebraska is.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Afro posted:

Or bud light lime isn't completely awful and playing it up for laughs is funny

Yeah it's not like it's hot garbage, it's just a dull-as-dishwater beer with some synthetic flavoring.

Now Lime-a-ritas, those should have NFPA diamonds on the can.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

OhYeah posted:

I have my own criticism of Maher's show, but what is the prevailing "correct opinion" here?

Maher's insufferably smug whether he has a decent point, is being an awful scumbag, or is being downright insane. He can gently caress himself. It's like he's a liberal strawman given life by the Koch brothers so the far right have someone to point at and go "these fuckin' guys, right?"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Astro Nut posted:

...That bit on bail was loving terrifying. Do the shows at least double check that the people being hunted have at least something to give audience sympathy for the bounty hunters, or does nobody actually care what the targets did or didn't do?

I used to watch Dog a little bit, and it varied episode to episode. Sometimes they try to feign sympathy and leniency, after of course chasing them down, cuffing them, and dragging them into an office. Othertimes, gently caress it, they're scumbag criminals and our heroes need to stop them. Haven't seen much else in the format.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The more hateful dickwads they can make explode the better, gotta get it out quick.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

meristem posted:

Please, oh, please, #GG, try to redpill John Oliver some more...

That sounds loving filthy.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Neeksy posted:

The most common theme is "THE STAFF DIDN'T DO THEIR RESEARCH", as if looking more into the shitheap that is the MRA/Gamergate movement is going to result in people being more sympathetic to them.

The other one is "I'm not saying she deserves it, but she's a liar/scam artist/tranny/professional victim so she should expect bomb threats and SWATing."

This has consistently been my favorite part of this whole goddamn narrative of the online harassers, from Stormfront to Gamergate: if only they knew. If someone who doesn't fit your profile of a target thinks you're an rear end in a top hat, clearly they have been fooled by the vast global conspiracy to make you look like an rear end in a top hat.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

meristem posted:

It's fascinating that they don't turn the harassment against Oliver himself, though. Either white penis powers indeed or his protected status as an Internet darling... Or maybe it's still too early?

That's the thing, to justify themselves they have rationalized threatening to kill and rape women as a natural reaction to the injustices that men have suffered at the hands of the diabolical feminist. John Oliver is not the enemy, he's a prisoner of war with Stockholm Syndrome, or at best a useful idiot for the evil social justice warrior.

He won't be victimized because the majority of these MRA types actually see him as a sympathetic victim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Pick posted:

Why would you tint a biodome. Like, to prevent light getting in or so people can't watch the gorillas gently caress or what's up here.

Purple is a cooler color for the sky, of course.

I love when people bring up cases of men being attack in the same way that women are as if it were some counterpoint. It makes it really plain that the person doesn't give a good god drat about fixing the problem, they just want to win an imaginary points game. That, or they're so deep into this crap they honestly believe the feminist hordes are coming for their balls.

• Locked thread