Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Medullah posted:

Yes! I was just waiting for it. I told my sister to get a credit report for free online a couple years ago and told her "Make sure you go to Annualcreditreport.com", of course she ended up going to "Freecreditreport.com" and ended up paying for something or another.

I still think that since it's a government mandated thing, they really ought to give it a .gov address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

It's good to know we'll never move past people patting themselves on the back for a supposed lack of cultural awareness.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

thehustler posted:

If you enjoyed the discussion about scientific reporting and accuracy then you could do a lot worse than get involved with your local skeptics group where we talk about this poo poo all the time.

I'm really not sure you could do much worse.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Doing God's work

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Sivart13 posted:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

John fastidiously preaching to the choir [...] the rhetoric is really vacuous if you're not already on the same side of the issues as John
I don't see how this one was much different than other episodes in that regard.

Most other episodes aren't covering a general knowledge issue. Most people don't have a fully formed opinion, or potentially even know, of issues like net neutrality or pharmaceutical companies marketing to doctors. That's where he excels, because these are issues that aren't strictly partisan.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

That's the point. They can prepare other topics but if the President calls the media the enemy of America or his top advisor resigns because he's been lying about his connections to Russia or the President makes him a terrorist attack that leads the country in question to publicly question him... Well it's going to overshadow a story on gerry mandering or something.

Who cares? This isn't The Newsroom; they don't need to throw out the rundown because Trump said something stupid. They can ignore it and do the story on gerrymandering rather than being the 239th person to cover whatever dumb bullshit spilled out of Trump's mouth that day.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

If he desperately wants to cover the ins and outs of the administration, then I guess that's his prerogative. But he probably shouldn't, because he's not a news network, and it's definitely led to his weakest episodes.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

TyrantWD posted:

If someone has received proper psychiatry, attempted a variety of treatments, is of sound mind, taken the time to think about it, and still want to die, a humane, medically supervised option should be available to you - pending review of a death panel, and agreement to being an organ donor.

By definition, the Venn diagram of people with depression and people who are of sound mind is two circles that never overlap.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Tree Dude posted:

Impossible to ignore completely but they don't want to dedicate a whole episode to it. Seems fine.

Actually, it is possible to ignore completely. All you have to do is not bring it up and boom, it's ignored. Yeah, Trump jokes write themselves and John's not going to lose any viewers dunking on him, but don't pretend that he's hamstrung by the news or anything. It's a comedy show, it can cover whatever it wants.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

Ugh. This show is getting too political.

That's not what anyone was saying, but thanks for playing.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Nothing changed. Everything remains how it's always been. The Republicans removed regulations the Democrats produced in an effort to bolster their support in the election, which had never come into effect yet.

There's a lot of breathless reporting about this being a brave new word of online deregulation, yet everything remains as it did in 2016. It's similar to when Clinton lowered the tolerance of arsenic in drinking water just before leaving office, and Bush ate a news cycle of hand-wringing about poison water for putting it back to where it had always been all along.

If anything, the Oliver piece would be about media FUD muddying the issue.

It effectively destroyed the ability of the FCC to regulate Internet privacy, instead firmly establishing that as the domain of the FTC, which has literally no enforcement power (or interest) in the area. To say "everything is the same" is dishonest as gently caress.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

The FTC can't because of the common carrier designation, common carriers are supposed to be the domain of the FCC. As soon as that is rolled back, it all goes back to where things have been. Common carrier will be rolled back because it was intended to be the first phase toward net neutrality, and we all know that any hope of net neutrality died with this election.

Oh goody, we can go back to the heady days of Comcast extorting Netflix and companies being able to pay for prioritization. The government is actively and brazenly taking steps to gently caress over consumers in service of some of the largest companies in the world, but you're right, nothing has changed. :jerkbag:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's one of those things that's a symptom of the way the system works but is hard to come up with a better solution while also preserving the core idea behind the system. For example, Gerrymandering would be a complete non-issue if representatives were elected by some kind of state-wide proportional system (I.e if the Republicans get 55% of the popular vote, they get 55% of the state's congressional seats), but this would mean that you'd no longer have a specific local representative who would be your point of contact, and would also mean that who actually ends up in congress would be based entirely on internal party politics rather than who the public actually likes (instead of how it works now which is where it's only mostly based on internal party politics). Some might argue these are worthwhile trade offs to get a government that's more representative of overall public opinion, but there are also good reasons to have representatives for specific subsets of constituents, especially when it comes to things like representing minorities who might end up just being ignored under a purely proportional system.

That said, you do get a lot of bullshit from representatives who benefit from the current system like the old standby "an independent committee to decide congressional districts isn't a perfect solution, so let's not do it even though it is objectively better than how it works now." It's pretty easy for them to just dig in their heels and just reject any attempt at change when they've gerrymandered themselves into a safe district.

The way the system exists now permits the disenfranchisement of as much as 49% of a particular district. The whole system was designed for a country of 4 million when political parties only existed in a loose sense. The idea of local representation is a bad joke. Trump fuckboy Scott Tipton wasn't voting for the best interests of anyone in my district when he voted to allow mining companies to pollute surface and groundwater at will, or when he voted to destroy the FCC's ability to regulate ISPs going forward.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 11, 2017

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

The show is literally called Last Week Tonight.

If only politics in America involved more than one man and his fuckstick press secretary.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Neeksy posted:

Considering most of the governmental agencies still don't even have nominations proposed yet, it basically is just a doddering old fat guy and his stammering mess of a press secretary.

Iowa is trying to roll back minimum wage increases, ban abortion, destroy worker's comp, and cut research for sustainable agriculture at the best ag school in the country, and they've only been in session for 3 months. But you're right, the real news is the press secretary calling concentration camps "holocaust centers."

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Gyges posted:

Sounds like Iowa is just being Iowa. Or do we need to complain that nobody is talking about what some idiot did in Florida last hour?

Edit: And I just realized that Trump is that idiot in Florida. My apologies.

This isn't some PTA president embezzling money. It's the state legislature taking an axe to any hint of progressivism purely out of spite, actions which will have long lasting impacts on the lives of millions of people. And they're getting away with it because everyone wants to laugh at Melania nudging Trump to put his hand over his heart.

I personally would love to see John drop the weekly recap. But if people are committed to the idea of "hurr durr it's called LAST WEEK Tonight," then maybe he should get into the heinous poo poo that is actually happening right now.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

IRQ posted:

The main segment is usually the worst part because it's poo poo you should really already know about unless you're an ignorant bumblefuck. It was a lot better in the first season when they tried to mix in some comedy.

More Trump, I say.

I too smugly look down on people who aren't aware of hot-button issues like civil forfeiture, native advertising, and the plight of military translators.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

There's other things that went wrong. Obama is partially to blame because he died on the hill of TPP

TPP was a hill worth dying on, unless you seriously think ceding our international political influence to China is a good idea.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

In retrospect, it's confusing how the line of "It's too soon, too close to a tragedy to act on it" ever made any sense.

The people who say "it's too soon" are the folks who realize they'll look like loving ghouls if they try to defend the right to own murder machines right after some guy kills a bunch of people.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

I doubt that. They may just as easily take a knife to school or drive a car into a crowd of students. Because they want to hurt other people or be on the news for hurting a lot of people and if they can't buy a gun they'll do that or get a gun illegally.

This is such stupid, false-equivalency, NRA bullshit. Knives and cars don't offer the same power fantasy that attracts folks to shooting up public spaces. And from a purely pragmatic standpoint, guns are optimized to kill and injure in ways that apply to neither knives or cars. Like, gently caress, a psycho car rammer can be defeated by bollards, large trees, or even a tight corner, and good luck trying to bring one indoors.

People, even crazy people, are lazy, and few of them are going to go through the trouble of buying guns illegally, because that would require effort and human interaction. Never mind the indisputable fact that the legal gun industry is close to the sole source of illegal guns in the US.

And hell, even if 80% of future mass shooters transition to knives, cars, bombs, anthrax, or whatever after a nationwide ban on firearms, that's still 20% fewer mass casualty incidents. I'll take the possibility of 20 percent fewer deaths to domestic terrorism over some inbred hick's right to own his bang-bang toys.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 13, 2018

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Woden posted:

Etherium has been planning to move from that style, Proof of Work(POW) to Proof of Stake(POS). POS guarantees a certain amount coins for you mine based on how much you lock up as your stake and isn't resource intensive at all.

Going into the power usage of cryptos could just make his segment look way out of touch in a few years, something he seemed super worried about.

Proof-of-Stake devolves into a more complex Proof-of-Work system (with the added benefit of centralizing what is meant to be a decentralized system) and there is literally no way to stop this. Anyone who says otherwise is feeding you horseshit.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 13, 2018

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

It never stops loving with my head that there genuinely has been a rising problem with fake news, but the most prominent people crying out fake news are those who thrive on misinformation.

The individuals and organizations that benefitted the most from this problem were the ones who were already saying that the media was left-wing, politically-correct, and distorting or outright fabricating news reports. Their audience was primed for this shift.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So, you have a recording of Pruitt's security team calling the ambulance for an unresponsive man after busting down the door, and you take the "he was just napping" line at face value?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Zesty posted:

This thread would actually be annoying to find for someone who wants to find it and doesn't remember this particular joke.

Bookmarks, yo

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Veskit posted:

At the end of the day governments will figure out how to make money

This seems oddly confident when the all-but-stated goal of the majority party is to cut taxes on corporations and the rich, increase defense spending, and eliminate excellent programs that benefit the common good and barely cost anything. I think they've made it pretty clear that they're fine maxing out the credit card as long as they benefit.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Pararoid posted:

Just saw this episode and came here to post this. How could he possibly justify saying that so forcefully and absolutely?
Because he didn't say that the US never hosed with Venezuela. He said that the issues stemming from Maduro's corruption are not the United States' fault. It's a super innocuous statement and I'm not sure why anyone would be so up in arms about it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Tornhelm posted:

I'd like to respond with a "feel free to lay down some numbers to prove that claim, but it sure seems like confirmation bias at best and exactly-the-problem misogyny at worst" myself. There's a reason why a lot of teachers put a ridiculous amount of effort into never being alone with a student. A false claim can and will ruin their careers and possibly personal lives unless they're constantly proactive when it comes to protecting themselves rather than being reactive.

Policies around never being alone with students aren't put in place solely to protect teachers. The aim is (or should be) to prevent the normalization of these one-on-one situations, because those are the cracks that predators slip through. If teachers don't let themselves or their coworkers get into those situations, then it becomes more obvious when someone seeks out those situations in order to take advantage of students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Is there a movement where you want your businesses to get to a point where they're fiscally solvent and have enough in the bank for research and development but after that making money isn't as important as improving the product?

Sort of. B Corporations and the concept of the triple bottom line both are centered around valuing workers and the environment at a level equal to chasing profits.

• Locked thread