Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Apoplexy posted:

Keith's always been great at his sermons. It doesn't hurt that he's always actually got the facts on his side with them, too.

I liked him when he used to be on MSNBC, it's a shame he spent so much time getting into petty slapfights with Fox News pundits though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm the guy who didn't care for Keith Olbermann and thought he was part of the problem with cable news during his MSNBC days.

But since he's long gone from that, my opinion of his thawed a little. But not much. He's been flying under the radar. I don't really care for sports either.

He was a blowhard for sure and there were the aforementioned petty slapfights, but there were few, if any, times you could claim he didn't do his homework. That's what I liked him for.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder if the strategy was actually to choose an even less desirable VP as a defense to impeachment, especially after nobody that would've "balanced out the ticket" was willing to associate with the campaign.

Still, even at his worst, Pence seems less insane than Drumpf, and then after that, Paul Ryan is a downright functional human being, which isn't saying much, but it's still worlds better than Drumpf. More than anything, I just want the human embodiment of the ultimate expression of dysfunctional corrupt politics to be taken down.

Paul Ryan is a Randian piece of self-serving toady trash, I would never compliment him so far as to call him "functional" or "human". I'm not going to pretend that anything would really change or get much better in the event of trump getting impeached, but it would make me feel so much better to see him thrown into the trash / prison where he belongs, to see him recorded in history as the abject failure he is, and to laugh at his loving retard supporters.

bull3964 posted:

In the end, the RNC is to blame for not putting their house in order. They had no obligation to nominate Drumpf. This did so because it was the best possibility of granting them a 'win', but it's only a paper win that will likely end up hurting them more in the long run.

See, I want to believe that their malice and/or incompetence will have consequences for them, but in my heart I know that the people that vote for these shitbags will always vote for "the conservative party" before they would ever dream of votin' for them LRBRLZ.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 24, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

President Pelosi.

Dear loving god no.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I can't think of much that would be worse than trump, but if we're imagining optimal alternate universes here, I feel like we could aim higher.

oohhboy posted:

Why do a lot of people reflexly think this is bad?

Everything I see from her seems to suggest she embodies the Democratic Party that wants to put forth the exact minimum amount of effort required to still claim to be "progressive."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

oohhboy posted:

I am pretty sure the big tent thing is gone for the time being.

I assure you it is most definitely not.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

oohhboy posted:

Is this a running message or a one off gaff? If she has switched her tune and has been consistent in her messaging away from that position, I don't see the point for crucifying her over it.

Anything is better than the GOP death cult.

The stuff Die Sexmonster mentioned has all been since the election. She has also said that public option / single payer healthcare reform will explicitly not be part of the DNC platform.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

You do realize the Democrats are a coalition and they need people to get elected in areas that aren't ready for "full communist now" if they give no leeway to people in red states then they are never going to get in power again.

So tell me, how has cozying up to Republican "values" worked out for Democrats in the past? What leads you to believe the result will be different in the future?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

socialsecurity posted:

It's worked well, there are several Democratic Congresspeople who only manage to skate by in red states by being more centrist, I'm not saying it's an ideal situation but if you ever want to control the house/senate again and have a small chance at some progress it's the only way.

That's interesting, because the Republican majority in the house / senate seems to say otherwise, as it did in 2014 when a bunch of democrats running for Congress decided going "I'm not like Obama, I'm like you guys, honest!!" was a good idea for some reason, not figuring that conservatives would just vote for a Republican rather than a Democrat pretending to be a Republican.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TheCenturion posted:

To be fair, almost anybody who's 'pro choice' is also 'pro life.' I don't think you'll find any non-insane people who are specifically 'pro abortion.'

Your average Republican, however, isn't 'pro life,' but specifically 'anti-abortion.'

Yeah, being personally against abortion still counts as "pro choice" as long as you don't have a pathological need to push your personal beliefs onto other people and you acknowledge that other people's decisions on the matter are none of your god damned business.

Because what you want to do with your own body is your choice.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

King Vidiot posted:

Fine, democrats aren't nearly as bad as republicans, but they're still not good enough. They're bad, just not "as bad as".

Can we at least acknowledge that or should we just shut down anybody who even tries to suggest there's something wrong with the democratic party, as it is right now?

Saying that they're not doing nearly enough to represent their base is a good and legitimate point, because it's true.

It's when you start getting into BOTH SIDES ARE EUQALLY BAD TRUTH IS IN THE MIDDLE TWO WINGS SAME BIRD bullshit that people will start rolling their eyes and telling you to gently caress off.

oohhboy posted:

They are good enough when they are your only realistic choice in the system you have. How hard is this for all the hand wriggling people to understand? Not voting for Democrat means one more vote in favour of the Republicans. The democrats are not perfect but they represent you far, far better than any Republican.

So basically, what you're saying that people should encourage complacency and mediocrity and not demand better of their elected officials, because this turd sausage sandwich might be made of poo poo, but it's not as bad as the diarrhea sloppy joe that the other guys are gonna force feed you.

quote:

If you want to change policy, write letters, attend meetings and if you have the resources, run for office under their flag so you can change things from the inside.

:laffo:

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 6, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Afro posted:

Donald Trump has early stage dementia. It's the only way I can understand why he just strays from thought to thought like that. It reminds me of my grandmother not too long before hers got really bad and her home was foreclosed because she forgot about the mortgage entirely and thought the bills were from con artists. Conversely she also fell for a lot of real cons. It's all so drat frustrating.

I watch Dr Phil in the afternoons because I love watching afternoon garbage, and he had Shelley Duvall on not too long ago and the way trump was just randomly jumping topics based on word association sounded loving exactly like her. His brain is loving oatmeal.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly I hadn't even seen the picture until after I'd heard about all the controversy and I was underwhelmed. Is that really what people got so upset about? It was like a paper maché head covered in red paint. From the way people were describing it I thought it would be something like the severed head from Tropic Thunder.

Same reaction I had when I first saw it a couple days afterward. As I've said before, if there is one critical weakness of the left, it's that they let the right control the dialogue and make up the language. Thus you wind up with poo poo like this where right wingers hypocritically clutch their pearls and transform into fainting goats, and the left rushes to their defense to absolutely no benefit to themselves.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Drifter posted:

I 100% agree with your second paragraph, though. Hopefully once people start dying off over the next ten and fifteen years we can get those swing states to elect less pieces of poo poo retards.

I've been hearing this hope for almost two decades now, and it ain't gonna happen. The old shitheads who die off are replaced by potentially shittier young shitheads. There's never a shortage of College Republicans after all.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

tarlibone posted:

Now, that analogy aside... until a third party rises up and poses an actual threat, which is something that's going to take more than an idiotic pothead running for the party with the idiotest platform imaginable, we are stuck in a lesser-of-two-evils choice. You can look at it as a greater-of-two-goods choice, or a good-versus-evil choice, but at the end of the day, you should go out and vote for the least worst candidate. Because whether you like the candidates or not, one of those top two guys is going to run the country.

Here's the way I see it:

As a citizen, you should always utilize your vote, even if you're not obligated to do so.

But as a candidate, you should not expect people to vote if you don't give them something to vote for, because they're not obligated to do so.

I've found that a lot of people have trouble processing that second bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Azhais posted:

Yes, sadistic teachers everywhere force Catcher in the Rye and Grapes of Wrath on unsuspecting innocent children. Generations of children have been subjected to the cruelty of these so called "American Classics".

Neither of these books were on the level of torture that was Wuthering Heights and Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I swear AP English is just a program designed to make children hate reading.

IRQ posted:

If you take Piers Morgan back.

I think they actually already have, I saw his potato-looking rear end as a co-host on some morning show when I was in London a couple weeks ago.

tsob posted:

I like how Murray called John Oliver an elitist and noted that he has a $10 million apartment in New York, like he himself is a man of the people who lives in a modest abode. Never mind that a quick Google shows he has at least two houses in seperate states, both of which look like they're worth a few million and of which it's easily conceivable both are worth more than $10 million apiece, depending on the size of the grounds, location etc.

You're talking about a TV station whose viewers think Trump is a "man of the people"

• Locked thread