Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Well, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

According to the site (might have missed it if they said anything on the show), donations to the church will apparently be used to benefit Doctors Without Borders if anyone wants to participate in this experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I am ready for church.

Edit: I understood all those K-pop references.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 24, 2015

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Who is the goon that sent the beef jerky?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I am pleased that whenever LWT reaches out to the presidential/party candidates, Bernie Sanders is always on the list of people that responds and is always giving the right answers. Dude probably watches the show or something.

You go Bernie.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I wonder if any of those jars of cum had ponies in them.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I love the quotes website.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I really hope this Sunday's show follows up on the $10 bill story, now that we have the legitimately awesome news about the $20 bill.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Non-Americans: Is it true that your medical bills aren't actually "bills?" I remember reading a thread on Tumblr recently and people were :psyduck:ing over the fact that, in the US, when we say "medical bills," we mean "they give us a physical bill like we were at a restaurant and all the procedures they did are listed like food."

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Haven't watched the full episode yet, but I watched the main story on YouTube.

Talking about police accountability was way overdue, but I really want to them to do a story specifically on Black Lives Matter and disproportionate targeting of people of color. This story feels like a follow-up to a story they never actually did, but that story needs to be done because there's unfortunately a lot of people out there who still don't understand and need that information.

Talking about police accountability is great for those of us that understand that the system is broken, but when people out there don't know or don't believe that, then it doesn't really explain a whole lot. "Sure, police should be punished when they do something wrong, but what makes you think them shooting those black people was wrong in the first place?"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

I think the concept of "accountability" is a necessary first step for many people, because there are so many people whose knee-jerk reaction to any police criticism is the same "don't judge by a few bad apples" or #NotAllCops, just like the assholes he featured in that segment who are paid to be on TV to talk about this poo poo. These are also the people who actually believe BLM is somehow a "racist hate group" that hates cops just 'cause and despite almost everyone involved saying "we just want some accountability" can't grasp the idea of a bad cop despite the many cases documented on video or in print, or even that the "bad / dirty cop" has been an American TV / movie trope for decades, because they personally have never had a bad experience, and this is a just world and the people who are supposed to protect us would never do us harm. And if there is evidence that just can't be denied, they can just "no true scotsman" those cases away and remain blissfully and willfully ignorant.

So, it's important to show this, which demonstrates that the system is hosed up on the most basic level, with "gypsy cops" and whistleblowers being harassed and retaliated against, and the police union having free reign to muscle its way into doing whatever it wants and being beholden to no one.

The thing is talking about accountability only resonates if you already know and believe that there are police committing wrong doings. When you don't believe these "bad apples" exist in the first place, talking about why and how they should be accountable is moot, which is why I felt like this piece should have been a follow-up piece after doing a story on the systemic racism in law enforcement first that highlights why there need to be accountability.

But as long as they hopefully do a story on that in the near future, that would be good.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
That video of the little girl saying the drawing of the white girl was good because it looked like her and the drawing of the black girl was bad because she was dark was a goddamned gutpunch.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you think that's a gut punch wait until you see black kids coming to the same conclusion for the opposite reasons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG7U1QsUd1g

I need some puppy mill videos to lift my mood a bit. :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I could watch the Dalai Lama all day. He's adorable. :allears:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

This lama guy doesn't seem like such a bad guy. Maybe china's got this one wrong? :shrug:

I think there are some legitimate claims of the Dalai Lama having dome some crappy things and Tibet being a lovely place before China got in there. But I think we're also kinda past all that now, what with the entire world having their eyes on the situation. It's not like if Tibet becomes free, everyone would turn a blind eye to any terrible things they'd end up doing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm both surprised that this show hasn't covered vaccines before, and sad that we still need to talk about this in 2017.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.thedailybeast.com/john-olivers-gay-bunny-book-outsells-the-pences?ref=home

There is hope left in this world.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's kinda hard to find the humor in a story about how our broken judicial system is influenced by an ignorant and hateful agenda and is sending children to their deaths.

But then you have H. Jon Benjamin show up and... actually I was still pretty sad thinking about those people.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

I'm just happy that Trump tweeted about Sinclair and forced real coverage of the issue. Thanks, Trump!

It's really weird to me that Trump and his ilk are highlighting this as an example of the "FAKE NEWS" they keep crying about, when it's actually the kind of right-wing propaganda the rest of us have been rallying against and were told we were censoring conservative media.

Yes, this is fake news, guys! This is what we've been talking about! W.... Why are you still calling out CNN and not Sinclair?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I watch Last Week Tonight to learn about important news, like finding out Bindi Irwin grew up to be smoking hot.

And to find out about the latest ferret gifs.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Rita Moreno is still hot.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
John tried his best to prepare me for the video they were about to show. I still wasn't prepared.

Now I'm sad and angry and I want to post today's episode as a response to every tweet Trump makes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Love Stole the Day posted:

God forbid anyone itt actually votes

I'm voting tomorrow, but I don't think it's gonna matter because every other house I pass has a sign out front for Republicans (and I'm in a blue state).

I just meant I wish a video like that would actually be seen by Trumpsters and they would actually feel some kind of shame and regret, especially a day before they might go out and vote Red. But sadly, I'm pretty sure they just see stuff like this, dismiss it as fake news, or proudly proclaim how much they love triggering Libs by destroying families.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Haven't seen the episode yet, now I'm curious as gently caress

Tonight's episode reviewed Trump's stance on immigration and how he separated kids from immigrant children and put them into cages. He showed a clip of the traumatic effects it had on one kid as an example.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 5, 2018

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

"Well if his parents hadnt illegaled then this wouldntve happened now would it :smug::smug:"

That's exactly what I've seen people say. And then you have that woman in the clip last night.

"I don't have a problem with immigration, so long as they do it legally."
-"Uh, they ARE doing it legally."
"...Then I hope Trump changes the law."

It's such blatant racism and it's disgusting how we just accept it and treat it as a fair and reasonable opinion.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Atomizer posted:

Yeah I noticed some of the Scientology references (some were quite overt, others like the "xenu next week" and the building in the background went unnoticed) but I thought they were just making fun of Scientology rather than building towards some crescendo involving social media influencers at the end of the season. :shrug:

Same. It'd be kinda like them revealing "Janice from Accounting" references were meant to be a subtle build up to a reveal that... Janice from Accounting doesn't give a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

That's also a valid interpretation and maybe the right one. But maybe there's a way to have gun ownership and also less gun violence?

But holy poo poo :can:

I think there should only be two guns in America (I'd say just one, but it's the right to bear armS), and everyone takes turns and gets to have them for a day.

If you shoot someone with them or threaten to shoot someone with them or get them all sticky with jelly or something, you don't get to have them again.

• Locked thread