Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
As a person who is going through lawsuits dealing with this type of poo poo, I can safely say thank you John for shining a light on it. It's a loving stupid ridiculous system that ends up punishing the poor the worst, and even the lower middle class.

The biggest problem with this system right now is that there's no substantial federal protections against collection agencies in regards to tickets. Generally speaking these things fall under a federal act called the FDCPA, but because of a few cases they've lost their rights as "consumer debt". Usually when something goes into collections and a CA goes after you, you can send a letter requesting they validate what you owe, payments fees ect ect and you have protections against when they can call, accept payments and a bunch of stuff that if they break each violation is a 1k punitive damage lawsuit. Thing is though with tickets they can say gently caress you and call all day all night trying to collect "fees" and generally make your life and your credit miserable.

there's changes coming out so it wont affect your credit nearly as much though which will give some people relief, but it's not the same at all. I also think there's no urgency to fix it because A) gently caress the poor B) revenue streams for governments. It's so hosed.

Also the bird bit was pretty great the whole thing is such a farce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

agatona posted:

Many days later and I am still WTF-ing about that collection agency thing. I mean, one person owed $40 ticket yet she ended up paying like hundreds to the agency and her $40 ticket still remained. WTF?! I don't understand the rules since I'm not American. Is it automatic that the collection agent is involved? Does the citizen not have a right to just pay the penalty directly? Or at least change the deal made with the collection agent? This is insane. The collection agents are EVIL. Not saying people should not be punished but the punishment should be equal to the crime.

It's a really complex issue that boils down to a couple of things that you have to fundamentally understand about America and why this works the way it does.

It starts off with tort reform in the 90s, which I won't explain the mcdonalds hot coffee incident, but it loving snowballed hard into a big thing where people were "suing frivolously" and so tight regulations were put onto the consumers/citizens so that it would be harder to sue corporations. The other part of america is that there is rarely governmental oversight on industries like this, and in fact most things aren't heavily regulated. Though there are protections built in, you have to sue them for it. With the combination of not being able to sue easily or for much money, and no federal oversight over what happens, companies can run wild especially if you're ignorant to what the laws do to protect you. Effectively, collection agencies run wild and do illegal practices but most people don't know what processes are out there for you to fix these situations. No offense to chicken but here's an example.

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

Debt collectors will use a lot of threatening words towards their debtors, threatening jail time, losing their house, their job, etc. but they have no real power. The best they can hope for is a lawsuit, and even then the process is insane. Having been a process server, someone can avoid going to court up to three times (may vary depending on state/county), but until they are issued a citation for contempt they can be avoidant as hell. Honestly, the only reason I dealt with my debt was it would stop the calls but also that I whittled down the cost to not even be a third of the original debt.

Each one of those threatening words are automatically a $1000 violation if you take it to court. Also phone calls can be stopped by sending a letter saying do not call me.

The final problem of the entire situation is that even if you wanted to take a collection agency to court for illegal practices (which is a miserable process), or if you wanted standard protections like a listing of what charges they were bringing to you to say you owe, and what their fees are for payment, in regards to tickets specifically they do not receive these protections because they're "not debt" and the collection agency "isn't collecting a debt". The laws probably won't change either because this is lucrative for cities, and because we don't really tax all that much here in the states, they found an unofficial tax that greatly hurts the poor and the rich can write it off while thinking nothing of it. A 250 dollar ticket might be your only option and they won't offer community service because it's about justice not rehabilitation. A prime example is where i used to live you have to pay your tickets to the "Department of Revenue" which is disgusting.

Basically it's all hosed and never getting fixed.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

It's loving intimidating as poo poo to sue anyone with a lawyer because literally the first thing they do in these cases is claim it's frivolous. It's also kind of vague when your case is and isn't frivolous and the worst part is that you can lose and pay the defendants court fees and lawyer fees so there's also that part. It's just a quagmire of falling into a pit of being locked into government debt.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Mr. Fowl posted:

The cop showed up? My mother works for the local court. As I understand it, you won the worst lottery.

It depends on the county. Where I live now they never go to court but in other places they're there 100% of the time.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

That was a really great episode especially how john didn't hold back on making GBS threads on him at all. The exchanging of his dick picture with that subtle burn was great.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

TED talks are terrible. I'll never say this again but Irish Joe is right.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I thought patent trolls have been talked to death but I guess that's just because of what I listen to. It's extremely shady business that nobody will really care about because it's millionaires fighting billionaires fighting other billionaires about their trillions of dollars. Also it's super boring.

They're loving way out of hand though.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Is Irish joe an idiot or does he know what he's doing I can't tell.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

slomomofo posted:

good episode- having worked as a Pearson scorer myself (TX STAAR test to be exact) it was great to hear all the shittyness of the job and the extent of questionable practices aired on TV. Why he made a point over the fact that they post jobs on craigslist, though, was lost on me - everybody (from mom&pop shops to Google) does that nowadays so it really doesn't make a difference anymore.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Find me the craigslist add where GOOGLE THE COMPANY. As in Google itself posts a job opening within their company. Like the Google HR department posted the position.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

slomomofo posted:

It's been a while now and who knows, maybe they've changed their approach, but I do know they were looking for general counsel attorneys using craigslist when they first opened their office in Austin.

You said from mom and pop to google. Google doesn't do it through craigslist, nor do most refutable fortune 500 companies. Nobody from a Fortune 500 sends out loving corporate jobs through craigslist. The ones that do are bad bad companies. Also i SEVERELY DOUBT google did that. A recruiter sure, but Google itself no loving way.

Show your work.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

the problem is that if we work under the assumption that the government is irredeemably corrupt and seeking solutions through corrupt organizations is futile

Ummmmm.

Uhhhhhhhhhhh

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm

Is there a way, you know this is just a chance. Ummmm is there a chance, that like you know....

That we could like, not assume that the government is irredeemably corrupt and then come up with a solution not using that assumption?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

Well, it takes two to tango. Removing corporate interests from the equation doesn't do anything about the politician who is ready, willing and able to compromise his office for a little payola. You can't eliminate corruption in government (hence, the constitution) and, even if you could, we're butting up against the practicality issue again. Solutions to the problem of school testing standard can't involve reforming the government from top to bottom because that's just not realistic.

You don't even have a bad opinion to contribute how dumb.

To add something to the conversation, I hope the UK elections are in this week next week and or Bernie sanders. The elections because I don't know what the gently caress any of that is about because i don't follow it, and I just like Bernie and he's neat. Though given the time of year has there been a real weather expose? poo poo is crazy everywhere. I know there was one on climate control but weather would be cool.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

I hope John takes on airplane peanuts next. That poo poo's nuts.

Exactly Joe, he'll talk about allergies!!!!!!!!!!!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Just say something completely absurd in a modern day america that has a logical basis and then boom you're Irish Joe it's easy watch.

If you plan on having kids you really should have 3 months of savings so you can take time off. Hell you should have that before even having kids why should a business support that?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

zakharov posted:

Why do you think every other country but Papua New Guinea does it differently? Honest question.

They don't celebrate freedom like we do. Problem is this also gives us the freedom to make poor decisions. We help the children and the old who become incompetent to do these things but a family should know better than to go into a pregnancy without ample savings to support it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

DoggPickle posted:

So tell me - honestly - how does supporting more paid maternity leave actually HELP ME or the planet? Why is it "good"? Why would I want that? I think your answers have been mostly really trite and silly. Why would I vote for something that makes my working life harder? I think your suggestions that NOT doing it is making women have to choose between being moms or working is ridiculous. You can be a mom AND work. Everyone I know does. After the horrifying physical effects have worn off, why the hell should they get to stay home and get paid while the other people in the office (or whatever) cover for their lazy asses? That is in effect, perpetuating the stereotype that women need to stay home with their babies. It's doing the exact opposite of what you're saying. It's keeping moms HOME instead of at work.

A growing population in the US is a good thing for the country so that we can replenish the work force. If our work force declines while our out of labor force increases that'll bring economic hardship. Having babies is good for your country loving deal with it poo poo.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

IRQ posted:

But why isn't that a workers' right? I don't get it. It's a major life event that happens to most people. I get that you don't plan pn having kids so you don't give a gently caress because you have no empathy for parents or something, I don't wants kids either, but when my dad died, I wound up taking off about a week and a half, you'd also argue that that's not ok?

You should have saved up enough PTO in your use it or lose it plan for in case your dad died duh.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

DoggPickle posted:

Because it's a life choice that you should save up for and plan.It's not a freak accident or a death of another person that you have no control over. A lot of couples buy houses too. Should you get extra pay or leave in order to do that? My dad died while I was at work. I took a half-day off. I already had my own house and if I didn't work, it wasn't getting paid for. My mom died on Christmas, so lucky me, I didn't need to take off work for that one. I did have to sell my car to pay for the funeral expenses and the two extra houses and two extra cars that I suddenly owned 5 days before all the mortgages/payments were due.

I can't believe I just wrote that.I think it was the dad death thing. In any case, life kicks you in the teeth inevitably and you make it work, because you have planned for it ahead of time. You have never bought a single soda or any drink in a bar, and you drive the cheapest car you can find and pay a redneck in beer when it breaks, you pack your own lunches, you do favors for friends so they do favors for you and it costs you nothing, you buy used furniture and pick up stuff from the thrift store, you make a week's meals on $8 by making stew or spaghetti, and you sweat all summer and freeze all winter so you can keep those electrical pennies piled up. You get your TV through an antenna, have a 30 year old microwave, and wash your car in the rain, and never miss a day of work or do anything but work loving hard in your whole life. If you haven't, then honestly I really have no sympathy (other that super-freak crazy expensive accidents or medical crap). Do you want to take a vacation to Italy? Then you save up for three years and you save your vacation days and you go. Why is choosing to have a baby any different? In any case, I'm out because I pulled the dead parents card, and I really don't want to read the replies because I will probably lose my poo poo. I think a bunch of you don't know how the world actually works. I'm not some simpleton who doesn't understand Social Security, I just truncated the main points .And in fact, I'm an incredibly happy and fun person who sees beauty and joy in almost everything, every day. This (short) life is all we get, and I would like to play it as fun as I can. If I could have some impact on the future - sure I'd try, but that's impossible, so it is a pointless waste of time.

Having babies is the ultimate self-centered thing you could ever do in your life. You're saying "My genes are so AWESOME, there should be MORE of ME!!! :dance:" So yeah, I kinda resent the self-centered comments. Why the hell should I care if you want to make more copies of you? Why is that SACRED? It's the most ego-centric action possible in life!

I really like the Show btw. I just disagreed with this one segment.

Peace.

This needs to be done as a dramatic reading asap. Preferably in a girly Fragmaster voice.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

DoggPickle posted:

#6) these glib excuses about having kids being "human nature" are just silly. Human nature is for all you guys to screw anything possible, willing or not, but you make a rational decision to do otherwise ( I HOPE!). Do we not understand science and genetics? If you KNOW that your genes are sub-par, is it not your DUTY not to procreate? I'm not talking about Nazi level eugenics, but simple things, like mental illnesses, possible Tay-Sachs, or in my case, a horrible predilection for very early cancer. There is a middle-ground between these extremes. Biological imperative also means that we should seek out the most alpha males at all opportunities and try to get their seed at all costs. I'm pretty sure we're intellectually over that as well.

I'm not talking Nazi level eugenics guys, just average everyday of the week reasonable eugenics

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

DoggPickle posted:

Look. I just did my absolute best to un-derail this thread. With no permanent enemies or hard feelings in mind. I don't know what the gently caress else anyone would want me to do right now. Yeah there are too many people to sustain the planet, and we should get that under control. But all this talk about the right to have kids is also based strongly in the idea that "my country" should have more kids. Am I wrong? It's a pretty clear fact that the more educated people get, the less children they have. That's totally screwing over a lot of very white, very globally rich countries. Why should I care about that?

Of COURSE the Al-Aqsa brigade wants to make it about D&D and calls me grandma when I'm 36. Maybe in Palestine.:laffo: I was literally forced to bear a child when I did not want one. The internet as we know it did not exist yet. I took all kinds of supposedly abortifactiants. I smoked as many cigarettes as possible.. I even resorted to punching myself in the stomach and "flailing" onto solid objects until my entire stomach was black and blue and I just couldn't do it anymore. Miscarriages are so CONVENIENT on TV. When I got to 5 months and realized that I couldn't get rid of this drat thing no matter what, I did what any humanitarian with an inkling of compassion would do and took really good care of myself so that it wouldn't come out misshapen or retarded.

^maybe that Palestine bit is a little uncalled for, but I've been nothing but polite, admitted that I have an unpopular opinion and agreed to just let it go.

:stare:

This crazy thread never stops giving.

Deadpool posted:

What the holy hell is going on in this thread? You know what nevermind, I don't care. Whatever it is drop it and move on.

Deadpool please let this continue somehow.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I hope the Bernie bit continues it was pretty great.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Hulk Smash! posted:

That, huh, that might be my fault... :v:

loving lol seriously?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

If only John Oliver has seen all the horrible things she said about gamers! He would understand! :qq:

What about the horrible things she's said about minorities? I mean not that she deserve death threats or anything like that but she's not a good person by any means...

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Patter Song posted:

I've never watched an Anita Sarkeesian video but if all of the worst people on the Internet hate her she must be doing something right.

The best analogy I can give is how the Reverand Al Sharpton is a loving a moron but he's on the right side of human rights. His message is good but god drat the guy is a loving idiot. I kind of look at anita like that. Sure she's fighting the good fight for women but sometimes she says things that are so inexplicably dumb I can't help but dislike her. She's pretty insufferable as a person so the loving stupid MRA guys have tons of ammo to dislike her for both nefarious and legitimate reasons. I mean this happened which I'll laugh until the day I die how loving dumb this is

And if you like video games and fallout in particular you realize that she's kinda just.. dumb

Like whatever go do your feminist thing just like Sharpton does his thing but holy balls I wish they'd both shut up.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Nanomashoes posted:

Anita does not run the FemFreq twitter account, or write the videos. These are all written by a man named Jonathan McIntosh, who is a big dumb idiot baby as I have previously posted.

lol and?

Motto posted:

I'm pretty sure the twitter account is run by both of them, since many of the recent tweets are photos she took at E3.

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/611229178596233218?s=09

so?

axelsoar posted:

Wait, a guy is having a woman speak on his behalf to talk about feminism? the gently caress?

I mean, RIGHT?!?1

Either way I'm just saying some people are actually mad over these two women for being lovely people. It fuels the hate flames way hotter when they're not good people.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Pick posted:

It's literally totally irrelevant. You don't threaten to kill people.

It's irrelevant to why people dislike her? Should we just fit the discussion to the box of you don't threaten to kill people because I mean I think we all agree on that one :jerkbag:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Krowley posted:

Yes that's the whole point.

Women on the internet get a disproportionate amount of harassment and threats, irrelevant to what they're actually saying. When nerds start going "actually she's dumb and stupid" or whatever, it's implied, intentionally or not, that she somehow deserves it.

You're saying I'm implicating that she deserves death threats because I think she's a very dumb person.....???

Echo Chamber posted:

People are passively aggressively playing the "Anita is no saint" card.

We get it. You're so nuanced. Go pat yourself on the back.

Someone was confused why people hated her so much which is a combination of A) her being a woman on the internet and daring to use words and B) Her being a bad dumb person. There are legitimate reasons to dislike her.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Zythrst posted:

Yeah and its so simple to ignore, she's only famous because children and man children lost their minds at the very idea criticism by a women. Oh and how dare somebody make a game like Gone Home or whatever.

I think it's lovely the best representatives from the GG controversy are two assholes. It makes you disillusioned from the whole thing because it's hard to back a bad horse. I felt the same way when my two best black leaders were loving Hymie town Jackson and Al Sharpton and those two were loving assclowns. Yes, I can talk poo poo about Al Sharpton even though he had an assassination attempt against him.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

bobjr posted:

My friend just got a job in Virginia where they have a Robert E. Lee Day the same day as MLK day, with a parade for him and everything.

The SAME day???? :psyduck:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Dreylad posted:

What??? Really!?!

Yes really. What interpretation doesn't have bias?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

In Crash Course World History, John Green made it clear that one of the big drawbacks of trade was the movement of disease. And invading armies, trafficking, and exploitation.

Disease is the most boring part of history because it's just a shitload of people dying of dysentery. Does everyone not groan of boredom when Jill dies on the Oregon trail of dysentery.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Guys there's already a place to talk about this poo poo forever. and ever, and loving ever

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727984

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Gay straight lesbian queer trans whatever I don't give a gently caress.

But someone really needs to sit down and explain to me why I can't kink shame. That poo poo is loving stupid.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

swickles posted:

The Nets went to Brooklyn, so all the local fans are essentially there already. What is devastating to a town is when they actually relocate, like the Browns going to Baltimore, Seattle to OKC etc. The Nets was basically just a name change, it was still the same team.

It all ends up as one big game theory bullshit because the incentives are HUGE to relocate. The league itself gets a cut for a team to be bought out IE if the Coyotes went to Seattle they would have to basically up front pay a billion dollars for the team which a solid 30% of it goes to the loving league itself, so the league is also trying to get you to move. The city is throwing out incentives, and depending on the players leagues they want to go too. For example no payroll tax in Seattle. Basically what i'm saying is sorry passionate Yotes fan girl who is the only fan of the coyotes, they're probably going to be in Seattle soon.

ALSO gently caress EVERYONE WHO GOES I DONT GET SPORTS WATCH 30 FOR 30 AND PICK A TEAM TO LOVE IN ANY SPORT.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

The funny thing about the Coyotes is that NOBODY is making money on that team. Barely even the players. In fact some of their "players" are on the team making 500k a year not to play on their team but instead be injured and add cap hit so they meet the floor (cap is calculated by average wage over the contract). loving sports so much of it is politics except at the end of the day someone actually wins.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

The government spends a ludicrous amount of money on sports, and so do colleges. I don't think I've ever seen any evidence that investment into sports will pay off in any real way. The only real reason to invest in sports is to show off how irresponsibly you want to spend money. These are enormous industries that make obscene amounts of money already. They're big boys, they don't need government subsidies to get by. What they're doing is just extorting the government.

Of course, people tend to care a lot about sports for reasons I don't fully understand, and to some people, they are well worth the price of having to flush oodles of money down the toilet or inflicting long term brain damage on individuals, and it would be political suicide to take a stand against sports. Reminds me a little of how Julius Caesar practically bankrupted himself spending money on games for the public to get elected.

How many episodes of 30 for 30 have you seen?

Doctor Reynolds posted:

People take games way too drat seriously.

THIRTY, FOR, THIRTY

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

xcore posted:

Yeah, it's clearly apparant that things are done a lot differently in the US. I don't think it's an accident that we pulled all of those events to our city though, we worked very hard to accomplish that.

Granted, your point about so few cities is probably the kicker, there are hundreds of cities in the US. This could be slightly offset by the fact that our country is in butt-gently caress no where.

If your aussie football team or whatever the gently caress you guys play said we're moving to a new city would they have an option of a place to go?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, that montage was kinda heartbreaking. She's always seemed like a national treasure for the US. :smith:

The overall episode kinda made me want to give Friday Night Lights another go, I know it's beloved, but like...urgh.

THIRTY

FOR

loving

THIRTY

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

June 17, 1994. Survive and Advance. The U & The U Part II. Broke. SURVIVE AND loving ADVANCE. Big Shot. You Don't Know Bo.

OF MIRACLES FOR MEN

BAD BOYS

THAT lovely ONE WITH MARTINA NARVATOLOVA

loving THE TWO ESCOBARS TWO ESCOBARS TWO MOTHERFUCKING ESCOBARS COME ON

Also that really sad one where all the soccer fans died :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

WHICH ONE OF YOU MONSTERS DOESN"T WANT TO SHED A TEAR WHEN KURT RUSSEL DOES HERB BROOKS SPEECH COME THE gently caress ON COME ON

• Locked thread